Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

M*Modal

Getting Out - fadingstar

Posted: May 27th, 2016 - 8:48 am

I've been in the MT business for nearly 20 years, the last half of which was spent in this pit. The first half of that was not bad, and I appreciated the job and the career path I'd chosen. I felt like a valued employee. I had a pretty great supervisor and she was very generous with the compliments and time off. The last half I would end my days in tears. Slave labor, slave wages. All feedback is negative feedback. 9 out of every PTO request sent within the appropriate (albeit outrageous) time period was denied. I had to commit to work nearly every major holiday just to find out there was no work and I had nowhere to spend my holiday because I had to cancel all plans. About a year ago I was switched from one supervisor to another who had different ideas on PTO requests. While the first one only required 2 weeks notice, the other required 60 days and I had already missed the cutoff for ALL SUMMER, and because I worked weekends I couldn't take any weekends off last summer and I couldn't spend my son's last year at home doing our usual things, camping, hiking, traveling. That was nearly the final straw (should have been the final, but I'm a sucker). I spent the next 6 months depleting my PTO and no-pay balance because of NJA. In a 40 hour week I had maybe 22 hours of actual work and most of that was spent waiting for work to come in. My biweekly paychecks dropped by half. I started looking outside the home, not for just MT work, just something. I was graciously given an opportunity at a local insurance agency as an assistant and next week I'm attending a fully paid training course to become licensed. I've spent many walks to my car after work lately with tears of joy coming down my face. It's been so long since I've been appreciated and given respect in a workplace that I had forgotten it was even possible. I'm happier. My family is happier. This weekend is the first time in 4 years I've had a 3-day weekend. 3 days that I don't have to worry about work. 3 days I can spend with my family, which I will.

My point of this is that if you're at the point I was, there's hope, I promise. It may not take a day or a week or a month, but you can do better. You are better. Don't let these people get you down and feel like you're worthless. You aren't worthless. There IS life outside this company. There IS life outside this career.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)