Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

Laid off MT - Old Pro

Posted: Jan 31st, 2016 - 4:08 pm In Reply to: I'm embarrassed to say that I applied for welfare today - Laid off MT

First of all, let me extend my sympathies for your situation. I am sorry that this happened to you. Please, please, please, do not be embarrassed that you had to apply for welfare. There is nothing shameful about asking for help when you need it. And remember, too, that you paid taxes all those years you were working and you paid into the system. The system is there for a reason--to help people who run into unfortunate circumstances. Please don't "catastrophize." I doubt that you will become homeless. I tend to be a worry wart and used to catastrophize rather often. If I had a bad headache, I would think, "What if it's a brain tumor?" I truly can understand how you feel. When my business was eaten by a giant corporate monster, I did not work for a year. I used up my retirement fund to pay for living expenses. Since California is so very expensive, it did not take very long to do that. I was fortunate in that I did not have to worry about caring for a child. I do love children, but it is an added concern when one is in tough times. That you don't have much more schooling to do may be your ace in the hole, as we say in poker. Do you live in a larger city? I know that, as least in California, there are mental health services offered on a sliding scale. If a person cannot afford to pay, then that is okay, too. If you are experiencing serious depression, it might not hurt to get a little professional help in how to deal with it. (And there is nothing to be embarrassed about for doing that, either!) Are you a member of a synagogue or church? Sometimes there are groups to help there. (I once helped with a group for people who had lost jobs and were looking for work.) Do you have family and friends who can help you? I had a friend who was in a kind of similar situation, and I told her that I could not afford to make her house payments, but I could and would pay for her groceries in the seven months until she qualified to take early Social Security. Other friends chipped in and helped her in other ways until she could get on her feet again. Please don't fall into the trap that it is going to be a dark and scary situation forever. It isn't. One day (perhaps sooner than you think) there will be light at the end of the tunnel. That is what happened for me. Out of the blue, a friend called me and told me there was an opening for an MT where she worked, so I took it. I had been out of work for a long time, plus I am older. I had actually reached the point where I thought I would never work again, but it happened for me, and it will happen for you, too. Are there any women's groups in your city? I know that here there are women's groups that help women (especially those with children) transition into other careers. Again, not sure if you live in a large city or someplace smaller. Anyway, if I could say one thing to you it would be not to be embarrassed. You have nothing at all to be embarrassed about. Once you get your bachelor's degree, more doors will open. I (and I am sure others on here as well) will be keeping a good thought for you. Keep your head up and above all, be kind to yourself.

ADVERTISEMENT

Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)