Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Tech Help

Try this again - Backwoods Typist

Posted: Jul 3rd, 2015 - 1:09 am In Reply to: Suggestions for routine maintenance in Win 7 when it slows down? - Linda

I put this in before, but oddly my paragraphs were all run into one, so let me try this again.

It takes much more than just antivirus and IE maintenance. Getting rid of old files helps, but I have a few suggestions that may help.

1.  Malwarebytes.  I swear by this piece of software.  There is a free version, but paid version is better.  Check with local computer shops to see what their price is for a lifetime license vs what you can get it for from Malwarebytes.  Program is very user friendly and VERY effective.  Can be run automatically or manually.  Also, if you download the free version, make sure you download from strictly the manufacturer's website...most other sites tack something extra on, sometimes it's nasty.

After you run a complete scan with this program, make sure to clear out your quarantine (history tab I think) then restart your computer.  This makes sure it clear out whatever nasties the program just got rid of.  Run a complete scan once a week, a quick scan if you suspect you are infected.

2.  Ditch Norton.  You can let your subscription run out if you want.  I hated both Norton and McAfee.  Both are notorious for slowing computers because they use an enormous amount of resources.  More than likely, this is what is slowing you down.  Microsoft Security Essentials is basically all you need, and its FREE with a Windows computer.  Its all I use.  It can be downloaded from the Microsoft site.  When it comes to antivirus, less is more.  I say this because when you get more than one or two, they start interfering with each other.

Run a complete scan with Microsoft Security Essentials and follow any prompts.  If it finds anything, eradicate it and restart.

3.  Clean your registry.  CC Cleaner is a good one to try and is user friendly.  Cleaning your registry gets rid of corrupted or partial files, temporary files, etc. which in turn frees up space.

Most times a restart is required afterwards.  

4.  Defragment your hard drive.  You failed to mention how often you do this.  This basically consolidates everything and tries to free up space on your hard drive.  More than likely, this was preset to run every night while you are asleep, but to check settings:  Start -> Control Panel -> System and Security -> Administrative Tools.

If not set, you can set it up to run automatically at any given time convenient for you.  You can also manually run a defrag.

5.  Files.  Move what files you can to another place of storage, such as a thumb drive or external hard drive.  Delete from the computer hard drive.  This saves room on the hard drive for more important tasks.

The above items should get you back up to speed.  Depending on how long you have had your computer, the fan over top of the processor may need to be cleaned out as these draw in dust and dirt, becoming clogged and reducing cooling efficiency.  This can also lead to sluggishness.  A local computer repair shop can clean that for you.

Hope the above suggestions help you.  Please let me know if you have any questions or need further help!

ADVERTISEMENT

Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)