A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Newbie Acute Care/Instant Text/glossary creation question - Serious MT

Posted: May 21, 2010

Hi there -

Well, I've just begun on a great acute care account and I'm pretty excited about it.  Here is my newbie question concerning the use of Instant Text and creating glossaries...

Previously, when I had worked on a general clinic account, I had created glossaries for the 5 individual docs I worked with based on a few days' worth of each of their dictations.  It really helped pick up on their individual idiosyncracies in the way they dictated their patient visits.

Now that I'm working for a hospital though, I probably will be exposed to many, many more doctors.  The system I'm using is more of a pool where I log in and select a dictation to work on.  I wanted some advice on how some of you created glossaries for this type of account!  Any and all feedback would be MOST appreciated!!!!

Instant Text - Judy J

[ In Reply To ..]
You can use the IT glossary merge. I work for a hospital with many dictators and use one glossary for all of them. The best thing I found is to have your basic glossary with the most common phrases, save that (you probably are already using one that you tweaked)and then merge with other glossaries you saved and rename your new one.

It's pretty simple to do just following the instructions in IT. You can also check the Instant Text help board too for more info.

Thanks, Judy! - Serious MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks, Judy! That does seem like the most logical way to handle it. I'm already using my "general" glossary for the doctors which is working fairly well. As soon as I have a good-sized bunch of completed dictations, I'll have to compile them and add them to my current glossary.

Newbie acute care - new as well

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm a newbie to acute care as well and got hired to work on a hospital account - I wonder if it's the same place since not too many companies hire new people into acute care. Congrats!!

New Acute Care Account - Serious MT

[ In Reply To ..]
If you want, send me an e-mail and we can discuss! Does the hospital name start with W?

new acute care - new as well

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes it does! I sent you an e-mail.

Managing IT glossaries - Marianne K

[ In Reply To ..]
There are many ways to manage IT glossaries. All depends in which environment you work.

For your new situation I would recommend to use the Medstart as your base glossary. Until you get around to compile a glossary from your own transcription you can include the Emergency.glo to your base glossary.

Once you compile a glossary from your own work for acute care, I would again include the newly compiled glossary in your base glossary.

In the Edit Includes window you can move up the compiled glossary in front of the Emergency.glo so the words and phrases of your compiled glossary will come up first.

The Includes feature allows you to easily manage your glossaries. If you have any questions you can always contact us at 781-272-3200 ext 2

Marianne Kleen
Textware Solutions

Similar Messages:

Instant Text Glossary Issues
Aug 20, 2013

My power went out twice.  The last time, I got back on line and now, my IT glossary is giving me a message the glossary file is incorrect.   Attempt to open Glossary fails It is a window that refused to go away.  I restored my system to before this event.  I need to repair the glossary but cannot open IT. Does anyone have any ideas?  Work awaits and since I am night shift in radiology, the pressure is on. (especially since power was out for 3 hours).   Thank y ...

Instant Text 7 Pro - Help With Backing Up Glossary
May 07, 2014

I'm getting a new computer. Can some kind soul please tell me how to back up my glossary file to another file so that I can transfer it to a zip drive? I know how to copy to and from a zip drive, I just can't seem to isolate the file I need to transfer. About to run amok. ...

Instant Text - Word Glossary Productive For You?
Jan 07, 2010

Hi everybody, I have been utilizing Instant Text for about 6 months now, which has helped my production. However, I know there are many things I can do to update, improve my Instant Text glossaries.  I really do not use the Word glossary because I found that it was hard for me to look at both glossaries at the same time.  I mainly use the phrase glossary.  For Instant Text users, here are some of my questions: 1.  I mainly transcribe ED reports.  Do you think it is more productive to ...

Instant Text Pro - Transfer Glossary To Another Computer
Nov 26, 2011

Does anyone know if you can transfer your Intant Text Pro glossary to another computer without the disk?  My computer is about ready to die but I have huge glossary that I am afraid I will have to restart plus buy a whole new disk.   Any suggestions would be appreciated.     ...

Instant Text 7 Pro: Anyone Know How To Disable An Unwanted Glossary?
Apr 30, 2013

I only want to use the glossary of terms that I've established on IT (and works really well for me), but I'm unable to disable the Medstart glossary that came with IT. Even though they're separate glossaries and my glossary is the highlighted one for use, Medstart is over-riding mine. Example: For capital B, it types out "blood." Please, please, MAKE IT STOP! Can anyone save my sanity? ...

Instant Text Date Glossary Update
Jan 04, 2015

I use Instant Text and in the past I have been able to open the dates glossaries, do a find and replace with the new year and then save the glossary - I have forgotten exactly how I did that and all I can find on the Instant Text website is a new way to create a new dates glossary (which is too confusing for me...see above - getting too old for this).  If you know how to do this, can you post the instructions here?  Maybe others are looking to do the same thing...... ...

Instant Text - My Glossary Is "incorrect"
Jan 14, 2010

Hi - My IT is great but for some reason it keeps telling me that my glossary is "incorrect."  I can still use the IT with my transcription program and can add entries, etc.  I just don't get it.  What exactly is "incorrect?"  My only thought on this is that I had copied something out of my transcription program from an E-mail (from the company) for an entry and ever since then it started doing this.  Anyone think this might be the reason or actually know the answer please let me know. ...

Acute Care - What Does Acute Care Consist Of?
Apr 08, 2010

I know this is a really stupid question but, what does acute care consist of?  What types of reports are acute care?  I understand that it is basically emergency type of care or short-term care, but exactly what types of reports would you be transcribing? TIA ...

Instant Text - How Do You Bold Text?
Dec 07, 2011

I'm new to IT and have a question:  How do you bold text?  I went into "Edit" and see several options but not for bolding. Yes, it's probably in the manual but I'm on the clock right now so hope someone will post it here. Thanks! ...

How Do You Get Into Acute Care?
Dec 29, 2009

Alot of the job listings ask for 5+ years in this area, so how do you get into it in the first place? I don't mind starting at the bottom and moving up... But where is the bottom? I had a job with a company but they would not pay me. So now I am trying to look for a job again and not many people wantt o hire someone that does not have alot of experience. So.. How do you get into a specialty?? ...

Acute Care! Acute Care! Acute Care!
Oct 04, 2010

That's it!  I've had it with transcription companies that only offer acute care transcription and don't pay you anything for it anyway!  That if you don't have acute care experience or been lucky enough to obtain it.  SOL.  I'm changing my profession. ...

WOW, Just Saw An Ad For 0.6 CPL For ACUTE CARE! (sm)
Dec 29, 2010

I truly hope that no one applies for this job.  That is even beyond ridiculous for clinic work! ...

Why Does Acute Care Have More ESL?
Nov 10, 2012

I transcribe both clinic and some acute care, and the acute care that I transcribe has a higher percentage of ESL dictators.  It seems like that is typical for acute care.  Why is that?  Are the ESL doctors drawn more to being hospitalists? ...

Ped Vs Acute Care
Sep 26, 2013

What is the difference between ped and regular adult acute care transription?  I am being asked if I have ped experience but wouldn't they be the same?   ...

Acute Care?
Sep 23, 2014

As a relative newbie MT, I'm not certain what "acute care" means. Does it mean basically all reports that are from doctors in the hospital setting? That is, would any hospital operative note, hospital progress note, and all discharge summaries be considered "acute care"? I know a clinic note is basically a note by an outpatient doctor, right? And it's basically about more minor medical problems albeit could be chronic rather than "acute." ...

Help With Instant Text
Oct 14, 2009

Anyone have any good websites for Instant text tutorial or questions?  I did read through productivity talk and did find what I needed.  I have not used this software in years.  I use autotext, but I would like to use the line counting software that comes wtih IT.  I am trying to figure out a short cut to copying text, right clicking on IT , clipboard statistics, and logging each note. Any thoughts on how to do this with keystrokes and NOT the mouse? I am using Scribe Editor ...

Instant Text And VR
Sep 18, 2010

Just wondered about what you all think is the best expander to use with VR. I used to use Shorthand up to a couple of years ago and now work with Instant Text. It seems to me that Shorthand is very very popular with the VR crowd. Does anyone use Instant Text successfully with VR? The version of IT I have (V  Pro) does not have the recording functions and the ability to use shortcuts (like Alt+ and Control+) like Shorthand does. Nor is there there an ability to record commands or key combina ...

Instant Text V
Feb 08, 2011

I was wondering if anybody working on the DQS system is able to use Instant Text V  and if so, how did you convert it over ?  Thank you for any help. Donna ...

Does Anybody Use Instant Text?
Apr 06, 2011

Does anybody use Instant Text?  I just started using it and CANNOT figure out how to get "-year-old" to expand without a space in front of the first hyphen.  I am ready to scream!  Please help!  ...

Instant Text V Pro Help
May 08, 2011

I am having issues with linking Instant Text V Pro with eScription.  The greenlight is on saying that it is linked, but I am not able to get any of my keystrokes to work.  If anyone is familiar on how to do this please let me know.  I would really appreciate it.  Thanks!! ...

Help! Anyone Using Instant Text, Etc...
May 16, 2012

This was transferred to the tech forum last night but isn't a tech question: How are MTs naming their short forms now, for example for shortform "ncat" (normocephalic atraumatic) do you use "ncat" or do you use "ncatx"? Thanks. ...

Instant Text 7 Pro
May 12, 2013

Is there a limit to how many entries you can put in this program?  TIA ...

Instant Text
Feb 07, 2015

Has anyone used Instant Text with EMdat/Inscribe? Does it work okay with it? ...

Instant Text Pro 7
Apr 12, 2015

I would like to know if anyone on here uses the Bayscribe platform in IE and uses the Instant Text word expander..  I have Instant Text V and it does not connect, so I am wondering if anyone that has the upgraded version can connect.  Thank you! ...

What Is Acute Care Experience?
Nov 02, 2009

What is acute care experience?  Do you work for the hospital? I am sooo green to MT! Appreciate advice about this. Still waiting to start the AIM  MT internship. Anyone done it?   Diane in Vermont   ...

Help With Radiology And Acute Care
Dec 26, 2009

Happy Christmas everyone!  I am looking after 2 accounts over Christmas, one Radiology and one Acute Care, neither of which I have any experience of!  Can anybody out there point me in the direction of some good websites that would give me vocabulary lists or a "crash course" on these topics?!  ...

Working As An MT Acute Care...
Feb 22, 2010

I completed my education with Everett Community College in their Career Step program for MT training in Dec. 2006.  I have been working ever since in a rehab/therapy clinic.  I am the only one who does the transcription for 7 therapists and it is a rather busy office.  I have wanted to find work doing hospital transcription and certainly not from lack of trying to locate work on my part.  What frustrates me is that I was told by my instructors that I should be able to find su ...

Can A Clinical MT Ever Be An Acute Care MT
Apr 13, 2010

How long does it take for a clinical MT to become an acute care MT, or I am losing my mind even trying?  I have an interview with WalMart today and am actually considering it.... my confidence is down the toilet.  Any thoughts?  Thanks. ...

Getting Acute Care Experience
May 26, 2010

I have been an MT for 11 years and am wanting to expand my knowledge base beyond the realm of radiology. I have been applying for acute care positions but I am not even given the opportunity to test most of the time because I don't have any acute care experience. I would like to know what I would have to do in order to get some acute care experience behind me so that I can become eligible to apply for and test for acute care positions. Any information anyone has on this would be most a ...

Radiology Vs Acute Care
Jun 06, 2010

Can anybody tell me if you can make more money doing Radiology or Acute Care? ...