A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Laptop to transcribe anyone?? - RadT

Posted: May 27, 2010

I would love to switch over to a laptop to do my daily transcription.  Would like to know if any of you fellow MT"s have been using a laptop, what brand/#, and how well does it work for you?  I have 3 kids and need to be mobile! 

Thanks!

Laptop - 15+ exp

[ In Reply To ..]
I use a Dell Inspiron 17" laptop. I ordered it custom to what I needed to work. I also have a spare I keep locked up. All my computers are Dells - other brand I have tried have had too many problems, especially the Acer and Sony. I have mine dual boot so I can use either Windows XP or Vista (as it is very hard to find XP now.

Any new laptop should have more than enough specs for any - platform, but many MTSOs cant work with Win 7. sm

[ In Reply To ..]
A couple of MTSOs didn't want me to work with a wireless connection (mine is very secure). It's very important to check with your IT person. You also need to figure out if you can work without the peripherals such as the external monitor, mouse, keyboard, etc.

I can't imagine working without my laptop. Good luck!

Laptop to transcribe anyone?? - eagles_fan

[ In Reply To ..]
I have an Acer TravelMate 4230, and I love it. The same person who recommended Acer several years ago recently told me that Acer is no longer good, and he now recommends Lenovo.

I use one as a backup, but have an external - lk

[ In Reply To ..]
keyboard since I use an ergonomic keyboard. With new federal regs now, though, some companies don't allow laptops if they know you use one. My IC job doesn't.

Use one too - Dell

[ In Reply To ..]
I also use a laptop and have been for about 3 years now. It's nice using a laptop but I wish that I could use my new desktop that has Win7. My laptop is getting worn out and is much slower than my desktop but I'm just biding my time and eventually they'll have to switch over to Win7 because Microsoft will no longer support XP (no updates, etc.)At least that's what I'm hoping!

Similar Messages:

Companies That Still Transcribe. Are There Any Left That Do Just Transcribe And Not Editing From Voi
Nov 04, 2012

x ...

New HP Laptop
Dec 31, 2009

Okay, I should have checked all this out before I bought a new computer, I know.  But I didn't and now I am paying for it. My company's software is not compatible with Windows 7 and that's what my new computer installed on it.  I have learned that I can take it to a local repair store and have the XP installed on it and the Word 2003, but then I found out from my employer's IT guy that a 64-bit computer is also not compatible.  Geesh!  Anything else I sho ...

Laptop Help
Jul 28, 2011

After being driven out of my house to a motel for 5 days last week due to the heat (94 degrees even with a small a/c, I think the time is here to get a laptop.  I discovered the motel does have internet access.  It's supposed to be 100 tomorrow. I need suggestions in choosing.  Since I have to have Windows XP, I'm limited to getting a refurb online.  There are lots out there, but mostly Dells, with widely varying models and prices.  I know I want something wit ...

Laptop MT?
Oct 31, 2011

I am sure I could use a laptop just as well as I could use a desktop.  I would like to travel more before things start getting really bad in America.  Plus I would like to visit family more often.  I was wondering if anyone out there works off of a laptop and how they liked it.  I was thinking I would get an external mouse and connect my keyboard so I can make production better.  Any ideas or suggestions?  I have to buy a new computer and I am debating whether I cou ...

Anyone Use A Laptop With A 10-key Pad?
Feb 07, 2012

My Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop died today so I need a replacement ASAP.  I'm writing this on my son's Toshiba Satellite, which has a 10-key pad that my Dell does not.  Is anyone using a laptop w/a 10-key pad?  Would you recommend it?  Thanks in advance. ...

Using Laptop
Sep 29, 2012

I know this is a dumb question, but can mmodal employees use a laptop instead of a regular puter? ...

Does Anyone Use A Laptop For Their Job?
Jan 29, 2013

Just wondering if anyone uses a laptop to do their transcription, or if most people just use a desk top computer. ...

Laptop?
Apr 17, 2013

Duh. ...

What Laptop Do You Use?
Aug 21, 2013

I am thinking of leaving the comfort of my PC and switching to a laptop so I can do a little traveling.  Any tips or suggestions on specs? ...

Need A New Laptop
Oct 04, 2014

Hi, I am looking for recommendations on a  laptop.  It will be a gift (not from my husband) but from a relative.  I would like one with word processing but I am happy to download open office.  I will mainly use the laptop for internet and I would like to get a wireless printer at some time.  I know there is a Google type of laptop where nothing is actually stored.  Some folks say it is better to get a regular laptop.  I wouldn't be opposed to getting a re ...

Laptop
Feb 14, 2015

Does anybody transcribe from a laptop?  Thinking about trying that.     ...

Laptop For Transcription?
Oct 23, 2009

Can you use a laptop to do medical transcription if a different keyboard can be attached?  Just wondering. ...

Footpedal Is Able To Be Used With A Laptop?
Oct 24, 2009

Does anyone know if a footpedal is able to be used with a laptop? Thanks. ...

Laptop Question
Nov 12, 2009

If I want to travel with my lap top around the holidays to get some work in, do I need an air card in order to have a secure internet connection?  TIA. ...

Laptop Or Desktop
Dec 31, 2009

I am considering getting a new computer in the next few months.   Trying to decide between laptop and desktop?  Can you really make speed on the laptop keyboard?  Opinions?  TIA ...

LAPTOP FOR TRANSCRIPTION???
Mar 10, 2010

Hi, I was wondering if there are any transcriptionists out there that use a laptop for typing? I am thinking of purchasing one of these but also have a desktop.  I thought it would be great if I could work in different parts of my house when my kids are sleeping.  My desktop is in my master bedroom so therefore its very difficult to work late.  I appreciate any help/advice on this issue.  Thanks, Jenn ...

Cooling Lap Pad For Laptop...sm
May 16, 2010

Getting a new laptop and wondered what type of "cooling" pad to get.  Does anyone use one?  This is the type that sits on your lap while you type and has a fan for a cooling feature so your lap and laptop do not get too hot.  Thanks for any help on which one is best! ...

Laptop Or Desktop?
Nov 16, 2010

Is it better to do MT on a laptop or a desktop? ...

Purchasing New Laptop
Feb 02, 2011

Am desperately seeking direction as I new to purchase a new laptop and don't have a clue on what is the most reliable.  My husband, who was wise and always took care of these type purchases for me, passed away in October, and this is just one of a gazillion things I have to learn on my own now.  Anyway, I currently have a Toshiba Satellite with Windows 98 that is about 4 years old but it is just not acting right lately.  I don't need a lot of bells and whistles but reali ...

Laptop Computers
Feb 06, 2011

Just wondering if anybody who uses their own computer to do MT uses a laptop?  I've had some problems with my computer and now need to take it in for repairs again, and I was considering getting a laptop as a backup so that I would still be able to work while my desk top computer is out of service.  Any advice on what type of laptop to get?  Thanks much. ...

How Many Of You Work On A Laptop
Aug 11, 2011

I was curious how it is to work on a laptop? I have always worked on a desktop. If you work on a laptop do you get a standard keyboard and type on it or the keypad on the laptop? What other adjustments if any do you make? What is your preference, desktop or laptop computer to work on? ...

Do You Use A Dell Laptop
Dec 26, 2011

I would like to buy a new dell laptop to use to work on transcription because I have to travel across country and I need Dell brand because I have a Dell credit card that I can use to purchase it with.  Do any other MTs/QA use a dell laptop that you like and if so, which one is it.  If I can find one that another MT is using and likes, I'll order one.  Thanks ...

Need A New USB Keyboard For Laptop
Jan 30, 2012

The cheapo one I am using is really noisy and hard on my fingers.  I have to pound the keys.  I love the feel of the keyboard on my laptop but don't like using it for transcription because it doesn't have the numeric keypad on the right and for other ergonomic reasons.  I just want something quiet that I don't have to pound the heck out of.  Would appreciate your thoughts.  Thanks! ...

Use A Laptop For MT? What Kind Do You Have?
Feb 03, 2012

I've been perusing laptops on Amazon.  Never had one before, so don't know that much about them.  If you were going to use one for one week out of each month to transcribe on, which one would you buy?  Or, if you already use one, what kind did you buy and why?  How many USB ports does it have?  How much memory?  Screen size?   Headphone jack?  Sound quality?   How long do you work on it per day?   Pros & cons?  ...

Need Help Re Using Laptop For Work
Jun 18, 2013

I want to move to a small town where hi-speed internet is not readily available.  Can i work with a laptop in this situation? Thanks so much! ...

Does Anyone Work From Their Laptop?
Dec 17, 2013

I would be able to plug my headset, mouse, foot pedal and keyboard all up to it at the same time? Or do they make adapters for USB ports? Dont have mine handy to see how many USB ports I have; but 4 ports seem excessive for a laptop. Also my laptop is a windows 8 so a little concerned about how compatible it will be with the platforms out there. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated Thanks. ...

Using A Keyboard With A Laptop
Jun 09, 2014

What is the best keyboard to buy to use with a Dell laptop 2013 Inspiron for transcribing?  Anyone have any personal experience with this issue? ...

Any Laptop Users?
Jun 12, 2014

Hello.  I'm wondering if anyone uses a laptop for work and if so any suggestions on the best ones, value and performance.  I am starting a new job and was told a laptop would be fine.  I would only use it a small amount of time and generally use my desktop computer, but would like the option, without spending a fortune or having it breakdown.  Thanks for any thoughts or advice. ...

Question For Those Who Use A Laptop...
Jul 24, 2014

Do you use a Mac or a Windows computer? My son bought a Mac and I can't get over how much faster it is than my Windows laptop. Wondering if anyone uses a Mac for transcription. ...

Bought Myself A Laptop
Nov 26, 2014

on a free or cheap antivirus.  It's a windows 7.  Thank you kindly in advance. ...