A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Option to get out ... - health and wellness coach

Posted: Sep 20, 2011

Sorry in advance for the length of this post but I've been reading and I just couldn't sit still any longer.  I'm a long-time MQ employee - this is my 14th year.  When I first started out, the income was crazy.  Literally I made more money in bonuses and incentives than I made in my regular production pay.  It was not uncommon for my paychecks to be in the $2000 range.  Over the years, the bonuses and incentives ended, and to help supplement my income (I thought), I signed on for what was presented to me as "promotions" first to QA and now to MME, each time it was put to me like I was "moving up" but what I have come to realize is that every time I was "promoted" it meant my pay would decrease by half.  I've had it figured out that to pay my bills as a single mom I HAD to earn at least $100 a day and this translated to 1600 lines per day.  When I "moved up" to MME, my pay became $0.03 a line, down from $0.876 a line 3 years ago.  Now, the same 1600 lines a day will earn me $48.00 a day.  I am lucky to have a great CCM and she has done all she can to be honest with me about the reality of the MT situation at Medquist.  She can't come out and tell me in plain English but has said in a very clear way that we needed to be looking at other options. 

As a result, when I got my tax check last April I decided to do something big with it ... that it was "now or never".  I paid to attend the holistic training program at the Institute for Integrative Nutrition.  If you have a good handle on medical terminology, anatomy, and want to help people live a healthier lifestyle through the food they eat, you should seriously consider this program.  It's a distance learning program and you attend classes and training given by experts like Dr Andrew Weil, Joel Fuhrman, Dr John Douillard, Andrea Beaman, and countless other notable holistic healers.  Yesterday I received my certification in the mail and now I'm able to see clients, give lectures, help people lose weight, control their diabetes, anything I want to do.  It's seriously the best thing I ever did.  The best part was explaining to my son last week that what I made in one full day of slave labor with MQ, I will be making in just *one hour* as a health coach. 

I honestly wanted to just pop on and let you all know there is hope.  I KNOW what it feels like to feel trapped in this job working for this company.  I totally get the frustration you feel watching your check go lower and lower every month.  I think you are all totally right in your gut instincts that something big is about to happen with this company and it's time to look at options.  When it happens, it will likely happen very quickly without warning so anything you can do right now to put yourself in a better place is very important.  My journey with MQ is almost over, but for those of you hanging in there I wish you a lot of luck in your future - keep the faith. 

I wish you all the best! nm - oldtimer

[ In Reply To ..]
/

Dear Option - Former MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Congrats to you. I just made the move to totally leave the Q last month. It was all downhill shortly after they bought us (Spheris) out. You know the routine they pull I'm sure. For now I have totally left the MT field, and thankful I kept my fingers in other work to allow for a smooth transition. Someday I hope to maybe use that knowledge I have to help folks and earn a good income, but for now at least my bills are getting paid, and I don't live in constant fear of another "MT Reward" in the form of a pay cut, and all the other games they play (i.e., my account of 10-plus years just disappaering with no warning one morning. Yes, I think something very wrong is going on here, and wish each and every MT from the Q the best of luck. Start walking now, cuz when the roof caves in you'll need to be able to hit the ground running! It CAN be done!!

Absolutely ... - health and wellness coach

[ In Reply To ..]
I've been through the same thing you have. I worked on the same primary account for the last 10 years and I've even had the nice compliment paid to me by my CCM as being one of her "elite" on the team - frequent "checking in", making sure I'm satisfied with my account, etc. But none of those things ... the promotions, the compliments, the flattery, could distract me from the fact that I could barely pay my bills and that I no longer have a "primary account". There are some days that go by that I don't work the same account twice. The days of having the same primary account day after day have been gone for close to 2 years now. These days, I work on accounts anywhere from the west coast to the east coast. Keeping the client profiles for each account open in front of me all day gets to be a huge chore and takes a giant bite out of my production. I'm 47 years old, I am considered at the top of my career "game" and I'm barely making minimum wage. I know there are dozens (hundreds ?) of you out there like me because I've been reading your posts, wondering what in the world is happening. If there is one thing I know for sure, it will NEVER GET BETTER. In fact, it is likely to get worse. MUCH worse.

The whole purpose of my post was to give hope. The fading away of your positions at MQ doesn't have to be the worst thing imaginable. In fact, it might actually be the best thing imaginable. This can be seen as a door opening ... it's an opportunity to figure out what your *dream* is and follow it. For me, my dream was to help people live a healthier lifestyle by making better nutritional choices so that they won't HAVE to live the rest of their lives on meds or laying on an operating table. So the silver lining for me in the whole MQ spiral is that it's gained me tons of medical information so that I can go out into the world and teach people how to stay away from the doctor. But your dream may look different from mine - maybe during your "downtime" from MQ, take some time and let yourself imagine what would you be doing right now if you had the chance ? And ask yourself what would be the very first step to take in pursuing that goal. That would be a much more useful purpose to the downtime than worrying about the future and stressing over outsourcing, NJAs, or endlessly venting here on MT Stars (and I say that with love) :)

It's so much better to take the steps to move on NOW while you're still floating your time with MQ than later on, when you have no choice - and I think that time is closer than any of us think.

options - Former MT

[ In Reply To ..]
So true.... and as my favorite saying goes "God never closes a window without opening a door, though sometimes it's hell in the hallway!"

This is awesome. Here is - more info.

[ In Reply To ..]
http://www.pcc.edu/climb/health/nutritional-therapy/

Some community colleges offer this program.

Reality check - Coach2

[ In Reply To ..]
"The best part was explaining to my son last week that what I made in one full day of slave labor with MQ, I will be making in just *one hour* as a health coach. "

Well, that's true.... IN THEORY. Unless you live in a highly urbanized, well-off (meaning lots of money to blow) area, you might find this idea harder to put into practice.

I've attended the seminars and they sure do pump you up, just like in the days of the Tupperware lady! I've been a coach for 5 years and can tell you honestly, I was busy for 2 years and that since the economy tanked, people just aren't spending those dollars on stuff like this.

Yes, it'll come back and I hope you do well. Just make sure you really pay attention in "marketing" class because right now, coaches are about a dime a dozen.

Thanks! - health and wellness coach

[ In Reply To ..]
Like everything in life, I like to think whether or not we're successful in anything all depends on our attitude. I'm just a few months away from graduation and I can't say enough good things about the program. Yes everyone is pumped up and excited, it's because of the incredible material we're learning and the amazing opportunities we have to help people. If a person is a "negative nelly" this is probably not a good career match for them since we're all about the healing power of a positive attitude and making healthy lifestyle choices.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "dime a dozen", because in my city there are less than half a dozen health and wellness coaches, all of them successful. The people who hire us to work with them are those who understand that our fees are significantly less expensive than the diseases they face and the high doctor/hospital bills they will have if they don't get a grip on their health issues like high blood pressure, diabetes, immune deficiencies, etc.

Thanks for your advice though! Sorry it didn't work out for you Coach2, best of luck with transcription!

You will do great! My city needs - people like you!

[ In Reply To ..]
Besides, would you really rather sit here and look into a computer and type all day with your wrists getting more weak and weak and ready for surgery because of carpal tunnel and then your eyes going bad because of computer glare. What about sitting and eating and munching and eating more while your trying to type in your PJs and then you get more fat and even fatter and have to buy extra large PJs because you SIT ALL DAY LONG making minimum wage?

NOPE, I think you will do great in your new career. :) YOU DID THE RIGHT THING!
*MUCH LOVE* but if I can do it, anyone can! - health and wellness coach
[ In Reply To ..]
*BIG HUG* :)

Thank you for your support, that's exactly how I thought about it too. The big realization came for me when I noticed the varicose veins popping up on my calves after sitting in an office chair for the last 14 years, LOL.

I'm no different from all of you, *anyone* can do what I've done. We are not victims of MQ and we are not "trapped". I know I sound like a broken record but consider this a message to each of you to *use this time* you have before MQ finally pulls the plug to find your passion, make a plan, and then begin taking steps to work on it.

And what if they *don't* pull the plug? Are we REALLY willing to put a "discount sticker" on ourselves by working for minimum wage for the rest of our life? And before you begin to think that that other company "over there" is better ... it isn't. Every single transcription company is the same and it doesn't make ANY sense at all to bounce from one to the next because the state of transcription will NEVER GET BETTER. These companies all have a revolving door ... people leave, go to work for another company, someone else fills your seat, those people leave, go to work for another company, etc. It's just a vicious circle of workers looking for that one golden company that no longer exists. My point being, that there are LOTS of options to get out. If I can do it after 14 years with this company, *anyone can*. It only requires the courage to remove the transcription chain from your ankle and allowing yourself to experience what it feels like to take back control over your future, your career and your income ... whatever that path looks like to you. But you HAVE to take that step *right now* while you still have time (and choices) available to you! Trust me ... you will wonder why the heck you waited so long.

Similar Messages:

There Is Another Option.....
Oct 24, 2013

Our lives have become totally ruined by this company. Unfortunately, commiserating with each other, while helping to alleviate anxiety, will not solve the problem. I have thought of this option, and some friends have suggested the same thing, Class Action Suit!  There must be a way we can recoup our lost wages. I cannot believe that what this company has done to us is legal.  It may take awhile, but aside from finding another job that pays better (which is just not available), I believ ...

Another Option For Transitioning From MT
Mar 24, 2010

Transcribing the dictation of various physician assistants made me wonder what was involved in becoming a PA, so I looked into the PA programs in my state.  I have a BA and already have all the science prereqs, so I decided to apply.  I'm retiring from my full-time job (not medical related) in April and wondered what I would do with myself with just my part-time MT job to keep me busy.  Now I know.  I start in the PA program with the summer session.  If you have a ...

Search Option
Jul 11, 2010

Hi, Is there a search query anywhere on the MTStars website?  I recall there used to be one, but I cannot find it.  Thanks in advance for any help. ...

Failure Is NOT An Option.
Feb 28, 2011

x ...

Unemployment An Option?
Nov 03, 2014

Does anyone know if unemployment is an option with all the OOW? ...

UNEMPLOYMENT AN OPTION.....YES !!!!!!!
Nov 03, 2014

No Work Without Pay Option
Feb 19, 2015

Can we no longer take this option?  In Remedy you only have 2 options to choose, make up or PTO.  I don't want to make up or use my PTO for out of work. What to do?   ...

What Happened To The Search Option?
Oct 12, 2009

When will it be restored? ...

Does Anyone Else Really Miss The Search Option
Oct 19, 2009

in this website?  Sometimes I was able to search for something and find an answer in old threads and not have to post the question and wait.  ...

As An IC, Is It Really An Option To Get Paid On Time?
Nov 05, 2009

I'm just curious. I have worked as an IC and an employee. With the last job I took as an IC, I remember in the interview the woman speaking with me said "and the woman you'll be working for always pays on time." At the time, I thought that was rather odd. I mean, why would someone need to say that? Of course I get paid on time. Just like they expect their work done on time. Well it was a huge red flag that I ignored, because then on 4 different occasions over the next 10 months I didn& ...

Am I Crazy Or Is The Suspend Option Gone On DSQ?
Mar 03, 2010

My next job is a stat and I only see Upload, Abandon, Break and Split. ...

Weekly Schedule Option
Mar 05, 2010

Does anyone know if we will have the capability to change schedules weekly in schedule source.  I thought I remember reading once when shedule source was still in its pilot stage that we would have the ability to change our schedules weekly with schedule source or is this just a fancy way of this meaning the "swap board."  ...

Only ONE Health Coverage Option?
Apr 22, 2011

I'm not very knowledgable on this healthcare stuff, but is it legal for them to offer only ONE option for health coverage?  Going up 60 bucks a month for me plus deductible going from 750 to 3000????  This is crazy! ...

Nuance Employees, Do You Have An HSA Or FSA Option Currently?
Nov 04, 2011

I'm reading about the difference between the two of these, and it looks like the employer withholds a portion of your income to cover medical expenses. I don't know if that has to be offered by the employer or if it can be set up somehow by anyone who qualifies due to a high-deductible insurance plan. Do you currently have any HSA or FSA arrangement with Nuance? ...

I Would Like To Do A Search... Is That Option No Longer Available? Nm
Aug 24, 2012

nm ...

Is There An Option To Slave Wages?
Sep 10, 2012

Can we pinpoint the reasons we are working for slave wages and unfair treatment? I'm hearing EMR and TAT, but don't we have the ability to provide the same service directly to physicians with software we can download for free? Didn't most of us provide 24-hour turnaround? Has EMG made it to technical to keep up with? Why would a physician choose to pay an MTSO more than they were paying us as ICs when their primary concerns seems to be saving money? Has anyone surveyed wha ...

What Happened To STATUS Option On DQM?--NM
Nov 09, 2012

Best Option For Insurance Is With Nuance
Nov 07, 2013

I'm wondering what the best option for insurance is with Nuance.  It looks as though there is no co-pay for office visits, so I'm guessing I should do a HSA?  I really like having an office visit co-pay :( ...

Why Did This Give Me The Option To Edit Or Delete
Jan 27, 2011

not delete it?  am I blind is there a delete button somewhere? ...

What Is The Report Paid Hours Option For?
May 30, 2011

xxx ...

Career Option If You Have A Bachelors Degree
Mar 12, 2012

Interesting post on the coding board about this, so I thought I would mention it here. If you have a bachelors degree in any subject, you can qualify to take the RHIA exam by completing a postbaccalaureate certificate program in health information administration that is accredited by AHIMA.  That opens up a lot of job opportunities.  You should have little trouble with a program like that because of your healthcare background. There are only a few of those programs and some are extre ...

Coders- Best Option / Method For Educating Ourselves On ICD-10?
Oct 02, 2012

What is the best option/method for educating ourselves on ICD-10?  Has anyone started? Looking for recommendations.  I would like to get a head start now on my own.  I sort of put it out of my mind when they delayed it.  AAPC seems to have a course.  AHIMA looks like they have webinars.  Has anyone tried these?   ...

Is Self-study Through AAPC An Option To Become A Coder?
Sep 03, 2013

I have 15 years experience as a medical transcriptionist, have an AA degree, took anatomy and physiology, medical terminology, etc., and have taken one non-credit ICD-9 class, and one non-credit medical billing class, both at a local community college. My question is, if I purchase AAPC's study guide and do practice tests (yes, I know it will be very hard and take a LOT of studying), would I be allowed to test without having taken a specific medical coding program?  In other words, is ...

My Company Is Dissolving. My Option Is To Work For Medquist...
Nov 10, 2009

I have worked for the same company for the last 5 years but found out today that we are losing our biggest client to MedQuist so they are dissolving the transcription department at my company. They are offering an option to work for MedQuist.  I am skeptical as I have read so many bad things about the company; but, I'm curious if there are genuinely happy people also that work for MedQuist.  I only have a week to make a decision and I'm hoping to make an informed one.  T ...

Any Companies Left That Has The "bill Me Later" Option For Electronic Spellcheckers And Bo
Oct 23, 2013

I recently started with a new company and my spellchecker disc is broken. Does anyone know of any company or website that lets you purchase these and bill you later? Years and years ago, Lippincott did this but now they don't. It was so helpful before. Are there any companies that do this anymore? Thanks for your help. I am broke but really need this for my job and it is several weeks before payday. ...

Another Sad Option For Medical Care Is Charity Care. Work With The People
Nov 06, 2014

...bills. Most Saint hospitals and others actually operate as non-profits, and for what they are screwing us over in taxes unpaid, they can afford to help out folks with their bills and still give their CEOs generous stock options and obscene salaries! But, you have to ask for this after your visit, treatment, x-ray, or ER visit. ASK for help if you need it. It is not our fault that suits are in charge of medical care in this country.  ...