A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Home office deductions for employees - MDI-MTSkeptic

Posted: Nov 18, 2009

I did some research and have found that at least according to Federal Government guidelines, you can deduct home office expenses if you are an employee.  The one big stipulation is that you are working at home because it is convenient for the employer.  In other words, they cannot provide you with an office.  Of course, in our case that is a no-brainer.  The rest was pretty straight forward and much the same and I am doing now for tax deductions as an SE.  My accountant is up to date on all changes, so he keeps me well advised. 

I am posting my findings because some of us at MDI think that losing our SE status (which stinks) means we will  no longer be able to take home office expenses as deductions.  That is not true.  However, it may vary where states are concerned.  I suggest that those who are going to be employees for Transcend research their own state's criteria to see how that works. 

I am leaning towards IC status but it is so confusing at this time as to what the criteria is for Transcend to do this that I may just give up and take PT employee status.  I still do not think it is fair for PT employees to lose the 1/2 cpl when they have no benefits other than the 401K.  That is the one thing that keeps preventing me from making the choice out right at this time.  I have emailed the appropriate people to ask this and depending on their answer I will make my decision then.  Good luck to all of us in this confusing and muddled time.  Undecided

Employee v IC - MistyMT

[ In Reply To ..]
401k is not the only difference.

As an employee they pay their share of your SS and Medicare tax. As an IC, you bear the whole brunt of those taxes.

Since when is that a benefit? - MDI-MTSkeptic

[ In Reply To ..]
Perhaps a 401K is a benefit, though not one I am interested in, but withholding taxes does not qualify. So you are saying that we should give up 1/2 cpl because our taxes are taken out, including social security/Medicare? There are thousands of employees in this country but I do not think that they are paid less because their employer withholds their taxes.

Also, I failed to note in my post above that you can take home office expenses if you itemize on the Federal side. If not, then you cannot claim them as an employee. Again, depending on the state you are in, you may be able to claim those expenses for state and local taxes, which I am able to do here.

Is it a benefit - MistyMT

[ In Reply To ..]

I suppose it's not a benefit in the strict sense, but if you're an IC, 15% of your fees may be worth a half cent a line. A 401k is not a benefit to many MTs

And I'm not telling anyone to do anything. I'm well aware of the pros/cons benefits/downsides to IC v SE v Employee. It's good you're questioning and researching!!

losing SE status will not cause loss of home-office deductions - Snow Bunny

[ In Reply To ..]
You just have to follow specific guidelines. Go to www.irs.gov and do a search for the publication that pertains to the home-office deduction.

One important note: Do not claim the HO deduction if you are going to sell your house within the next two years.

The one exception is - MDI-MT2

[ In Reply To ..]
that you have to be able to itemize before you can take HO expenses on the Federal return. And yes, if you are depreciating any part of your home, when you sell it, that may cause a bit of a problem, unless you aren't planning to sell for 3 or more years.

Yes, indeed, that is correct (sm) - Long time MT

[ In Reply To ..]
My accountant told me that 10 years ago. If you work at home because your employer does not provide a work place, you absolutely get to deduct a home office.

BUT, you have to itemize in order to take it - see msg

[ In Reply To ..]
The only place to take home office deductions on your income tax is if you itemize and use Schedule A.

Otherwise, if you don't itemize and just take the standard deductions on your income tax, there is no where to claim unreimbursed office expenses.

Think there's also a 2% AGI threshold in there - somewhere too NM

[ In Reply To ..]
zzzzzzz
Yes, you can only deduct in excess of 2% of your AGI - see msg
[ In Reply To ..]
An MT who is an IC or SE can deduct office expenses straight up on Schedule C.

But, an employee can only include the amount that is excess of 2% of your AGI (adjusted gross income) and also ONLY if you itemize your taxes and file a Schedule A (which is the one for itemizing as opposed to just taking the standard deduction).

So in reality, very few employees will actually be able to take a deduction for unreimbursed office expenses. Because even if you itemize, you still have to hit that 2% threshold before you can deduct any of it. And the kicker is that you still can't include any of that original 2%, only the amount that is OVER that 2%.

Similar Messages:

Home Office Tax Deductions
Sep 26, 2012

Tax deduction when you work at home is definitely worth it. My friend is an accountant and anything done to improve your house is deductible (including crazy things like carpet cleaning, window cleaning). I even deducted new appliances and furniture and carpets ( in other rooms). ...

HITECH - Home Office
Feb 11, 2010

I'm wondering where other people have their home offices/work computers?  My desk is currently in a corner of the living room but it's not in the main living area, so to speak. It's kind of off in this nook area off the living room. My monitors face outside and not into the living room.  I'm wondering if I'm going to have to figure out someplace else to put everything to be in compliance? I do have my computers password locked so no one else can ...

MS Office Home And Student
Apr 03, 2014

I have heard different interpretations of the "no commercial use" rule by Microsoft about the Home and Student version of Office.  Some say you cannot use this version to work from home as an MT, and some say it only means that Home and Student version just doesn't have all the bells and whistles someone would need for commercial use.   I just called Microsoft, and the rep told me that it IS okay to use it in that way, but I don't feel confident he really knew what I was ask ...

MS-Office Home & Student Vs. Professional
Apr 28, 2014

Do most of us have Microsoft Office Home & Student version or the Professional version?  The only difference I can see is that Professional has 2 other features, Publisher and Access, which most of us don't need in our MT work.  I can buy 2010 Home and Student for about 1/3 the cost of 2010 Professional.  Thoughts? ...

Home Office Deduction Questions
Jan 27, 2015

Using H&H this year, not using the new simplified deduction.  I understand the square footage, utilitities, all that and have done that part.  My office is a dedicated room, no problem there.  What I don't understand is where to deduct my supplies, internet, etc.  I want to count ink cartridges, paper, internet, Shorthand,  stuff like that but not sure where to do that.  I already paid for this tax software (it was a deal through Amazon) but maybe I should ...

Ideal Office Furniture For Transcribing At Home
Mar 09, 2010

I am trying to find a desk and chair under $100 ideally that is comfortable and doesn't cause of a lot of strain on my wrists.  Did any of you who work at home purchased your furniture at a specific store?  I would appreciate any suggestions. ...

Home Office Tax Deduction For Employee Status?
Mar 29, 2010

Has anyone claimed the home office credit while being an employee rather than IC? Does anyone know the "rules" with that? Seems that it could still be claimed since we HAVE to work from home. This is my first year as an employee, so I am curious. Thanks for any input. ...

How Many Of You File Home Office Deduction On Your Taxes?
Jan 28, 2011

I have not filed for the home office deduction in the past, even though I do have a fair size room dedicated solely to my office so, therefore, I would qualify. This year I had to buy a new computer for my job. My husband works out of state, so we have a lot of deductions for him and I am wondering if I should file for the home office deduction or not? I know it is quite often flagged for audit by the IRS, but I feel I am entitled to it. I just do not want to risk the higher chance of being au ...

On Taxes, Does Anyone Claim The Home Office Deduction?
Mar 15, 2012

I'm doing my taxes on TurboTax and it says you can claim the home office deduction if you work at home for the "benefit of your employer, ie, if no office or desk is provided."  Does this apply to us ?  I'm worried about taking the deduction and getting audited or something.  I've never taken it in the past.  Wondering if it's even worth it for me if we indeed can take it (I don't own a home).  ...

Home Office Work - Part Time Only
Mar 18, 2013

Just by chance, does anyone know of an office job or other work from home, part time only? I am an MT myself but know of someone needing just an office job from home, she is not an MT. Any ideas would be appreciated. ...

IMedX Platforms With Office Home And Student
May 14, 2014

Hoping someone out there can answer my question.  I'm new with iMedX.  I have Office Professional 2013 on my computer.  According to their techs, their platforms aren't compatible with 2013.  It has to be 2010 or lower.  (Office 2013 has been compatible with other companies, but not with iMedX.)  Someone has offered to let me use her Office 2007 Home and Student (not Pro), but we're not sure it will work with the iMedX platforms, which are IKM and Sc ...

Tax Deductions For "Employees"
Sep 07, 2012

For those of us who work at home but are classified "employees" by the MTSO, how does this affect our tax deductions normally taken as ICs? ...

Shortcut Keys Microsoft Office 2007 Home And Student
Sep 25, 2014

Recently got new computer with windows 7 (old one had Vista) and put my word office 2007 home and student back on ...my shortcut keys (like F7) for spellcheck are not working...and I want to get the spellcheck visible on the task bar...any ideas how I can fix? Thanks!! ...

Questions Re. How Employees Work At Home
Jun 24, 2010

I'm a recent graduate of an MT program and have been reading a lot on the board about different companies and how they work. Could some of you nice people explain briefly how MTs who work at home as employees of a company do some things? There's an awful lot of info out there on the boards to try to take in! I assume one would log in and out on their computer at the beginning and end of a shift. It sounds like most company's employees do work set shifts - right? I actually did ...

Question For At-home Part-time Employees. Sm
Jan 26, 2013

I will be going part-time soon (Social Security) and am considering whether to work about 4-5 hours a day for 5 days a week or work 3 days (7-8 hours each).  Not sure if the 3 days is even allowed, but I know some co-workers are doing 4-day weeks@10 hours a day.  My question is which do those of you who are already part-time like?  I see advantages and disadvantages to both.  We are required to have set schedules. With a 5-day schedule, having the rest of the day free. With ...

Nothing But Office Notes And Office Letters With No ADT Tonight And Last Night. A Recipe For Perfor
Mar 08, 2014

Numerous cc's not in the database which have to be added, address and all. Short reports, of course, that take 3x longer than the dictation time. Just shoot me now. I can't wait until I get a new job! Came close today - job lead was 1/2 day too late. :-( Hopefully the other person won't work out :-} ...

Need To Convert From Office 2013 To Office 2010
Apr 26, 2014

I'm starting with a new company next week.  My Windows 7 PC has Office 2013 Professional.  The new company's platform is only compatible with 2010 or earlier.  I don't have the money to spend on 2010, so I'll either have to decline the offer or try to find a way to install 2010 cheaply.  I thought I might be able to download a version for free, since it's not the newest version, but it doesn't look like I can do that.  Any ideas? ...

QA Deductions
Dec 09, 2012

I am curious how if you have only ONE mistake and you get ONE deduction for 0.5, how does that drop your score to 98.15??? I really don't understand the math that they use.... Can someone please explain this to me... Thanks! ...

IC Status And Deductions
May 25, 2010

I have just started a new job as an IC.  I have been an employee and statutory employee but never IC.  I know I pay quarterly taxes and have had them set up by my accountant.  He, likewise, knows of all the deductions I can take, but I have seen a post on here giving a website where you can get this information, as well. Can anyone give me the link to this site?  Thanks very much!  ...

Still Confused About Tax Deductions.
Nov 20, 2011

OK....just to be sure I understand this.....if I am an IC, do I deduct approximately 15% (like what my previous employer deducted for SS and Medicare) OR do I deduct 30% for my part and employer part?   I've been on the IRS website but that's confusing.  Don't have the money to consult a CPA right now.  Don't want to take a job as an IC if this is a mistake.  Have an interview for IC and 2nd interview for employee status.   Sorry to keep repeating mys ...

Line Deductions
Dec 15, 2011

Lines are deducted from my count on each report I transcribe or edit for a particular account, for headers and footers. This is understandable, except I have just realized the deduction is always made at the transcribed line rate, even though 90% of the work on this account is editing. So, I am being charged back more than twice what was paid for these lines.  Is this legal? ...

Tax Deductions - Employee
Feb 15, 2015

This is the first year I need to file as an employee rather than contractor.   Can we deduct everything that is "non-reimbursed employee expense" as we did as contractors, i.e. internet access, computer, etc and portion of home used for home office?   ...

Anyone Else Not Able To Make A Paycheck With Insurance Deductions?
Nov 17, 2012

Since July I was on the insurance (515, plus eye and dental so a whopping 600 a paycheck) which was good at that time, then the switch in September to the high deductible (500, plus eye and dental so 585) and well care.  Don't know about you guys, but we go to the doctors for ill more than well per year.  With all the stresses we had this year, husband's job loss and me trying to make a paycheck at 30 hours a week, just got tired of working for nothing! Anyone else in that bo ...

OMG How Funny - Read Glassdoor Opinion Of Employees, US Versus Indian Employees!
Aug 05, 2013

I was just curious about what employees thought of Nuance on Glassdoor.  You read several US employee opinions and they reflect the morale listed on MTStars.  Scroll further down and read the opinions of the transcriptionists from India.  What a difference.  They are highly satisfied with their jobs and most have been working with Nuance for 6 to 7 years.  The US transcriptionists are very sad!!  What a difference..... ...

MT Home Course From At Home Professions?
Jan 27, 2010

Any info on the MT home course from At Home Professions?  ...

What Does Your Office Set Up Look Like?
Dec 17, 2009

I want to redo my office space. It's just a little corner in my bedroom because I live in a small townhouse where I rent but I need to freshen things up before I die of boredom.  So what kind of desk, chair, keyboard, headphones, monitor, artwork, etc. make your workspace comfy?  :) ...

The Inner Office, Ltd.
Jun 25, 2011

Any comments on this company?  Thanks. ...

Wish We Were All In The Office Again
Feb 04, 2014

confront some of these MMEs and their snarky notes.  I said SOME MMEs. Some are wonderful, like Christmas and a new puppy rolled into one.  ...

MQ Ohio Office
Dec 02, 2009

Does anyone work for the Findley, Ohio office and if so, your opinion please. ...

Office Design
Jun 27, 2010

I want to reorganize my home office. Where is a good place to look for U-shaped desks? I have 2 computrers with 3 CPUs, printer, fax and reference books, not to mention 3 foot pedals, a mini casette transcriber, office files, multiple 3-ring binders, etc. etc. It would be so nice if it was compact, not spread out over the whole room - everything nice and neat and within reach. Is ths possible? and where do I start? TIA. ...