A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

To VERY Experienced MTs - MT

Posted: Feb 21, 2012

I have about 25 years in MT, owning a MTS and filling other roles in the field as well.

Frequently on this board I read the frustrated posts from those with 20 to 30 years of experience who have submitted resumes/applications but do not hear back from the hiring company.  A couple of times I have suggested that OVERQUALIFICATION may explain the lack of call back.  Both times I was personally verbally attacked on this board, with the notion called "ridiculous" and "absurd."

WELL, LISTEN UP:  Today I attended a workshop conducted by my state's DES for those over 50 who are changing careers or re-entering the workforce.  The instructor spent over 30 minutes discussing OVERQUALIFICATION, i.e. when highly experienced, accomplished applicants INTIMIDATE the interviewer, leading the interviewer to fear that the person will be after their job, will want too much money, etc.  We had a lively discussiion, with several former-manager classmates chiming in about their personal experience with this phenomenon.  We were also furnished several-page handouts from articles and employment industry literature on this.

Obviously, I need to contact the professionals who wrote the literature as well as my state DES and inform them that they have no idea what they are talking about, that the phenomenon DOES NOT exist because some "genius" anonymous MTs on this forum insisted that it doesn't.

The primary reason I wanted to share this, though, was to encourage those seasoned MTs like myself.  When you don't hear anything back, you should remind yourself that you may be OVERqualified for the position rather than lacking in some area.  Continue stressing those positives, and remember that with all that experience you have MUCH to offer any prospective employer!  :)

to be clear - hmmm

[ In Reply To ..]
You are saying that years of experience alone coupled with age qualifies MTs as being overqualified?

I'm honestly not trying to pick a fight. I would like to know more about what you are saying. It could be that I am one of those out there. How does one with greater than a decade of experience in TXing coupled with being over 50 present a resume that conveys a willingness to be pliable rather than intimadating, after someone's job, etc. I understand the part about wanting too much money, but unless the applicant puts that out there on the table, how does a potential hiring manager KNOW the EXPERIENCED person is desirous of being overpaid?

I'd like to say I consider myself young, but my birth certificate says I'm over 50. I'd like to say I am experienced, but not overqualified. How is that conveyed without a presumption of the potential employer being predisposed to that supposition - largely based on portfolios supplied by the professionals and a state's DES presenting workshops that forewarned said employers to be alert for this phenomenon?

This is the written word and you can't see my body language paying careful attention to this discussion or that I really am being sincere in asking what I ask. Heck, I put my resume together today the same way I did before I was an experienced MT and before I qualified for AARP, but now I have professionals and state DES holding workshops warning people of applicants like me? NOW what do I do?

I really am puzzled about how I should proceed. Do potential employers really need to be trained on how to deal with me? or with their presumption that I am "one of those" and never review my resume.

As an example, do you put all of your skills on a resume? "I have about 25 years in MT, owning a MTS and filling other roles in the field as well." I hear you saying this with sincerity, not snobbery, but is this what potential employers are being warned of?

So tell us? What was said? Was it said to give the old broads a chance or to toss that resume without a second look?

I think part of the problem is they know we old broads - wont work for their paltry 3 cpl.

[ In Reply To ..]
I also believe that those employers who offer employee health insurance are very highly pressured by their insurance companies NOT to hire older workers, whom they perceive to be more expensive.

I'm willing to bet there are pages and pages of memos, IMs and e-mails on this subject that go back and forth between the ins. companies and the employers every day. Would give just anything to get my hands (or computer) on just a few of them.

old broads not insurable - cr

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree that employers are probably pressured by their insurance companies to not hire employees of a certain age. With my last in-house, full-time job, at age 58 (which, like my previous two jobs before that, was outsourced a year later), I had to almost literally jump through hoops to prove I was acceptable for insurance. They had me rapidly walk the equivalent of 5 flights of stairs and do deep knee bends, among other things. I passed then, but I know I couldn't do those things now, 7 years later. I doubt I'd be hired for a full-time, insured position now even though I'm very experienced, not diabetic and have good blood pressure and good cholesterol. The truth is, at my age, anything can happen at any time, and I'd be too high a risk for them to insure. Thank goodness for Medicare.

I once worked in HR briefly, doing the first cut on - applicants, and it was an

[ In Reply To ..]
eye opener.

Many with years of experience are as good as you'd expect them to be and deserve the high salaries they were looking for. But also characteristic of some others were arrogance and unwillingness (inability in some it seemed) to change years of ingrained habits and preferences. Correctly or incorrectly, problems with both willingness and ability to change and learn were considered more likely with older employees.

A real biggie I noted was that some actually spent decades repeating maybe 2 years of experience 10 times and had no idea how limited their experience was compared to that of others. I saw some very nice people in this group. No doubt they wondered why they weren't hired. I'm afraid no one told them, at least directly.

BTW, I'm sure health insurance premiums also have a GREAT deal to do with it. Our company's told us a few times that our premiums are going up because our claims rate is higher than average. Industry data tell us the average MT is aging and nearing retirement age, pretty much an older broad field. Put those together and you have companies with an undesirably high number of older employees more prone to health problems and sick days than most fields who are pushing insurance costs higher every year. This year our company pays $45-48K (!) per family policy and passes about 1/3 of that on to the employee. My individual policy costs "only" about $36K, with a $5K deductible, of which about $8K is passed on to me to pay.

the insurance issue is why I avoid employee positions - hmmm

[ In Reply To ..]
I understand about discrimintion regarding high-risk insurability, but I fail to understand age discrimination. If there is a presumption on the part of the potential hiring manager that my years of experience add up to my personal expectation of top wages, then that becomes their problem and should not be dropped on my shoulders.

I keep up with the industry and know what the norm for pay is out there. I do not even discuss an expectation of pay in my resume. The same way this thread started out with old broads accentuating the positive on our resumes, well, doesn't the potential recruits bear a similar responsibility towards us old broads?

I haven't had insurance in years, but my young child does. I'm one of those people that you can look at my resume and assume I am in my 30s or 40s, even though I'm at least a decade older than that. But I DO have a LOT of varied experience. I've managed a diagnostic facility, ran my own business for a decade, been a certified coder AND have been transcribing close to 20 years (including being QA manager). Do people look at my resume and think I'm too pricey? I look at all that experience and think it all adds up to a valuable skill set. And if I'm smart enough to enjoy all this experience, I am certainly smart enough to be informed of the industry standards regarding pay scale. And maybe I've sewn enough oats that I feel you really could not pay me enough to do YOUR job (meaning an MT manager, recruiter, etc). Those are not heachaches I chose to include in my life, which is why I do transcribing. And all this experience in and of itself does not mean I'm a pay snob and demand a high salary.

I'm still curious of the OP about opening up and sharing more of her/his workshop.
hiring older employees - Alice
[ In Reply To ..]
All this is very interesting. I've been considered "overqualified" and downright rejected for positions that I REALLY wanted as a care provider because I was ONCE an RN. So, to the potential employer, I was not acceptable to be in a position of non-licensed homecare provider/caregiver, even though that's what I really wanted to do at that time in my life.

If they're so worried about insurance benefits to older workers, why don't more of them offer part-time positions where insurance would not be an issue?

Personally, I have no interest in taking anyone's job and I certainly do not want to be a QA or a manager/supervisor. Should I include that info on my resume?
Can I pleeeeaaase just get 6 more years out of this business. - Gettin There.
[ In Reply To ..]
I just need 6 more years out of this business, that's all!! I do not wish to return to school. I cannot afford to start a new career at this point.

When I retire, I would like to continue to do MTing part-time, maybe. At that point, I may try something different if I find something interesting.

Just 6 more years..............so sad, wishing my life away.
I'm in your position too, including wishing to work - past Social Security/Medicare
[ In Reply To ..]
age, but I also ask for just 5-1/2 more years at the least.

Let's not consider it wishing our lives away, though, any more than someone with 30 years of work ahead of her. You work, you eat. We all work, there's something TO eat. Work's GOOD. Or something like that. :)

How can you POSSIBLY tell - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been in MT for a long time and have interviewed nad hired MTs.

How can you tell if an applicant is "stubborn" and/or "set in her ways" and refuses to make changes and/or embrace new things during the FIRST cut of the process? I don't buy it. That is something that is discovered ON THE JOB. Unless, of course, STEREOTYPICAL ASSUMPTIONS are being made about older employees -- which, of course, happens ALL THE TIME.

overqualified - olderish MT

[ In Reply To ..]
That may ring true for other professions, but IMO, it just does not for MT. An MTSO or account manager is NOT fearful that we will take their job. Heck, in some instances, they likely WISH we'd take their job.

I have an impressive resume and it supports me getting a response 90% of the time. I've filled every job related to MT at some point in time and I was a service owner for about 15 years. I don't at all seeing people shy away from me or my resume.

In other fields, I think you're likely spot on. But given that MT is a heavy telecommuting job and like I said, no one is really fearful we're going to take their jobs, I just don't see overqualification being an issue in getting hired as an MT.

The other thing is, it's not like you get paid MORE because you're overqualified. Most MT companies say- Here's the rate, and it doesn't matter if you have 5 or 25 years experience.

thank you olderish MT - hmmm

[ In Reply To ..]
What you describe is closer to my own experience and thoughts regarding older experienced workers. My other thought is that because I have been an IC for 15 years, it would seem a potential employer sees that as a perk, that I can live as a single person (and now older mother of a child) and have been able to support myself successfully during those years, therefore a dedication to work ethic has been demonstrated. I have not had problems getting my resume seen and hearing back from anyone.

And like you, most services I have encountered do say "here's the rate, take it or leave it."

My thought with the OP was now, suddenly, I have something more to worry about. It would be helpful if the OP would further comment in greater detail how the older, more experienced, i.e., overqualified workers could write an eye-catching resume.

Over 50 and looking... - JustMe

[ In Reply To ..]
I now understand what you are all saying...have been a MT for 30 years..recently my company lost almost all of their accounts to India...watching the work dwindle, have been applying to anything and everything that moves...only to hear back from the companies I read to stay away from!! If and when can I collect unemployment? No communication from the company at all...this oldie needs to pay bills!
To Just Me - response
[ In Reply To ..]
UE benefit regulations vary state by state, so check into your's immediately. In the State of Virginia, there is a 1-week waiting period to collect benefits, so you should basically apply the very next day after you have been laid off, let go, work reduction, etc. You cannot quit your job though. If you lost your work/job through no fault of your own, have been employed for more than 1 year at your current position, then you qualify. You can even apply online.
UE - JustMe
[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you so much! Am waiting to hear back from UE now...found out there are no unemployment offices in NJ...Am keeping my fingers crossed!

If they hired us "Old Broads," what would their QA do? - No message

[ In Reply To ..]
s

QA - old broad

[ In Reply To ..]
Please don't tell me you mean by that one-liner that "old broads" don't need QA? I can tell ya when I hired MTs, age didn't always equate to better, just older.

Similar Messages:

Has Anyone Experienced...
Apr 12, 2010

I was wondering if anyone has expereinced having applied to an advertisement for a transcription job with any particular MTSO, receiving an "invitation to test" at around midnight, and then attempting to take the test.  What I found when attempting to take the "transcription test", was an hour and a half of written test, not a voice file transcription test, with very detailed questions.  I spent an hour and a half taking this test and checking every answer on the internet, whether I th ...

Which Course For Experienced Nurse
Aug 11, 2010

I am looking into MT programs and wondering about one which advertises that it is geared to nurses: MT@Home Medical Transcription. It costs significantly less than the three programs which I see referenced quite a bit  -Andrews, M-Tec and Career Step, but it seems like these programs involve so much material that I already know. Years ago I did transcription for nurses, I've worked in hopitals/home and office environments as a nurse (also years ago) and I worked in pharmaceutical sales ...

Advice From The Experienced?
Jul 28, 2011

I am a newbie MT and wanted some advice from those of you more experienced than I. Today, every single dictation I have had is from a foreign doctor..the latest one said (not kidding) toe bec abu in da pa...which I finally made out to be tobacco abuse in the past. My line count is horrible! How do you compensate for reports like this that take a long time, while maintaining a decent line count? Thanks. ...

Is 14 Cpl Fair For Experienced IC?
Mar 28, 2012

I have been an IC for over 5 years and have decided to increase my rates from 12 cpl to 14 cpl.  In doing that, one of my doctors is thinking about replacing me.  I thought 14 cpl was a fair rate.  What does everyone else think? ...

I Think That All/most Of The Good, Experienced MTs
Mar 01, 2015

are going to end up quitting as soon as they possibly can, leaving behind a ton of newbies that will be super EASY to catch errors on (sorry newbies but you know it's true---it was true of myself when I was new).  And the newbies won't complain about getting 7 cpl EVERY week.  How's THAT for patient safety for ya? ...

Experienced But Feeling Like A Newbie!
Sep 12, 2011

I have been a transcriptionist for the past 10 years, working in cardiology, acute care and now radiology. I do radiology part-time from home right now and most shifts I do not even average minimum wage because of a shortage of work. The company I work for is small and works two typists per shift when there is only enough work for one. It is so frustrating! I have sent out about 20 resumes in the last couple of weeks and haven't heard a word from anyone. It used to be so easy to get a job b ...

Are Experienced MTs Finding Work Now Or Is There
Jan 05, 2012

not much out there. ...

Experienced MT Needing Work
Jan 10, 2012

I've been reading about various companies out there and wondering which ones are good and which ones to stay away from. Thanks!    ...

Hourly Wage As Experienced MTs At $.08/65 CPL
Jun 18, 2012

I'm just trying to figure out what the hourly wage might be for an "experienced"  MT if they were to start making $.08 per 65 cpl if they had a pretty good account and could type 75 words per minute.....and just an estimate would be appreciated...Thank you for your input. ...

I Have An Idea And Need A Couple Of Experienced
Oct 17, 2012

I would like to open a dialogue with 2 or 3 individuals with a minimum of 15 years experience in the field of medical transcription.  There is an alternative to explore in terms of taking back our profession and our livelihoods, and I need a couple of people knowledgeable in our field to brainstorm an idea with me.  No naysayers, please.  I want to talk to people who have not already given up on MT and are willing to think outside the box with me to seriously consider the feasibil ...

Another Experienced MT Fired From MModal
Feb 27, 2014

Sixteen years through various company takeovers, valued myself as extremely proficient, kept to the background, did my part in the team effort w/extra hours worked through countless holidays (what's a holiday?), parent illnesses, death, children's college, spousal layoffs, etc.  Watched in horror as my career was shredded with more and more condescending nonsense from QA to "classes," redundant pep rally conference calls, all leading to an after-shift (oh yes, I worked yesterday) ...

A Question For Experienced Coders
Mar 14, 2014

What are you thoughts on coders being paid on production/by the chart? As a recent graduate who is continuously learning, I just don't see how this could be a good thing, but maybe I'm wrong. Please - no bashing. I am just curious on opinions of seasoned coders. Thank you for any input. ...

Just Experienced The Power Hour
Dec 19, 2014

so for 1 hour we are going to get work from another POD that is way behind.....well guess what, if I had stayed in my own POD which is also flooded with work, I would have accomplished over 400 lines, but in this "power hour"  I typed a total of 95 lines because I spent all my time reading over client profiles and looking up old jobs making sure I got everything right. The hour is up, and strange jobs are coming in so I signed out for a break. Yeah...this power hour works really well. ...

Question For Experienced Coder
Jun 10, 2015

Would an experienced coder be willing to help me with a question via private email?  I am very new in school and feeling stumped already on something that seems very basic.  It has me wondering if I can do this after all. ...

Company That Will Pay An Experienced (30 Years) MT More Than $.09/line?
Jul 17, 2010

Anyone know of a company that will pay an experienced (30 years) MT more than $.09/line? ...

Can We Get Some Experienced Opinions On OTI's Huge Account?
Feb 08, 2011

Would really appreciate input from anyone who works on this account. ...

Experienced, But No Acute Care Experience
Apr 03, 2011

Hi All, I have been a transcriptionist for 10 years, working both in-house and home (currently doing both), but the company I currently work for is going to EMR (and of course, I'm the one setting it up for them) and will be out of a job within the coming months. I have applied and taken tests for various companies and have also had phone interviews over the last year.  Unfortunately I am not offered a position due to "not having enough experience" in the acute care field.  Corr ...

Experienced In Rad But Looking To Branch To Acute Care
Jul 01, 2011

hey, i have 7+ years of radiology and 6 years of path and some sleep study experience transcribing but would like to branch out or get some training in acute care.  does anyone know of anywhere to get started?  i would be willing to take online classes to learn acute care or start a job that will begin teaching it, like i said i am not a newbie at transcription but just in this field.  i would love to broaden my field and not iust be restricted to three modalities. please hel ...

Experienced Users Of Emdat Incribe
Mar 04, 2012

The company I work for just switched to the Emdat/Inscribe platform 2 weeks ago and as such we are still adjusting :-)Things have worked fine so far, but when trying to download dictations after logging in, I keep getting the same message..."There was a problem downloading the file. Would you like to retry?" (Of course I have, but it never loads.) The dictation tries to load (I see it in the green bar at the bottom) but never makes it. Other MTs have had the same problem today but a System Rest ...

Company Looking For An Experienced Account Manager
Sep 12, 2012

Does anyone know of a company looking for an experienced account manager. TIA ...

Is Webmedx Hiring At All? Experienced Acute Care MT.
Sep 30, 2010

xxxxxxxxxxx ...

SR: She Denies Any Recent Nausea Experienced An Amputation.
May 16, 2012

nm ...

Thought I Had Seen It/heard It/experienced It All In The Past 30 Years
Sep 02, 2012

I work in-house, got the news a week ago that the hospital has hired an outside company to take over the transcription, which will save the hospital millions of dollars.  We have the option of going with the other company or simply going home; in other words, take it or leave it.  Needless to say, the outsourced company's benefits are not as good in comparison to the hospital's, much more expensive and also this will be strictly voice recognition.&nbs ...

Experienced MTs; Paid By The Line Or By The Audio Hour?
Jun 11, 2013

I've been an MT for over 5 years and have always been paid by the line. I would think that most MTs preferred wage is to be paid a set amount per hour.  If this were not an option, what has given you more of an income, paid by the line or by the AUDIO hour?  What I'm currently being offered per audio hour comes out to less than what I was paid per line at my previous job, but the reports are easier to understand so it may be worth it.  It is basically both ...

Avg IC Line Rates For Experienced MT/QA Straight Type And ASR? Nm
Jun 08, 2015

Switching from employee to IC for first time in my life and have seen low rates offered. What is the typically going rate? Shouldn't it be higher for straight typing and because you are an IC and not employee?   Thanks! ...

Experienced Coders Check Out This Job Offer From Grady In Atlanta
Feb 01, 2014

http://grady.ttcportals.com/jobs/1477025-senior-coder-sign-on-bonuswork-from-home   Wish I had the coding experience they require!  Grady is a huge public hospital system. ...

Finally Experienced The "you're-the-dirt-on-the-bottom-of-my-shoe" Phenomenon
Dec 23, 2014

My HDSM for months now in her emails that are getting fewer and fewer always says she is "still making calls" to us and if we need anything to contact her and she will get back to us right away.  Well, 2 weeks ago I needed to talk to her about something so I sent her an email.  The silence has been deafening ever since.  I imagine she's putting up her Christmas tree, wrapping gifts for her kids, and making fruitcake for her neighbors.  I've been patient.  ...

To Experienced MTs, The "work At Home" Aspect
Jan 10, 2010

To those who are satisfied living in poverty or chained to their home computers, then disregard this message.  This msg is directed at experienced MTs who don't think they can make a decent living at this anymore.  You can - the jobs are out there. I have a second interview scheduled for position as a senior MT for the prison healthcare system in my state.  I know I will ultimately get the job with all my experience, but even if I didn't, just wanted to let you all know ...

"radiology Experienced Documentation Specialist"
Aug 28, 2014

Looks as phony as a 4 dollar bill... ...