A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Is it any wonder I'm going nuts - transcribing stuff like this

Posted: Jul 19, 2014

This is the actual sentence the doc dictated.  I listened to it 3 times.

"There was initially significant tachycardia where her beta blocker was resumed, although this had given her bradyarrhythmias and sinus block in the past, but ultimately, with regulization, her potassium and magnesium levels, and because of recurrent hypotension her beta blockers were discontinued and her rhythm remained stable."

HUH???????

HUH???? - Me again

[ In Reply To ..]
The whole darn report reads like this. No idea where to put periods and lots of blanks because he mumbles so. I know I'm going to get dinged big time for this and frankly I don't care.

commas are key. - passing thorugh.NM

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

it's your job to understand the context - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
If you don't know where to put a period, that's not on the dictator here.

it's your job - but it is

[ In Reply To ..]
the doctor's job to dictate so we can understand the context. We are not miracle workers. We are only as good as they allow us to be.
the paragraph did not represent a problem for most posters here - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
the paragraph did not- - maybe her brain
[ In Reply To ..]
was tired as we all know happens and she was thinking too hard. Just as we can leave a blank but when going back to re-listen it is clear.
she are, indeed - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
It always amazes me how you can listen and - IMANMT2
[ In Reply To ..]
listen and hear _____. Then skip it, go on and finish. Then go back and relisten at the end and vowels and consonants and pauses just pop out and sometimes (not every time) all is revealed. Right before you pull out that last strand of hair.

That's where onsite MTs may have the advantage. The help - if that is how the MT office is working ... a fresh ear and usually, since everybody has to look each other in the eye and the supervisor won't tolerate rude behavior, everyone is a little bit nicer about it. That, and they may get that report next that stumps them and need that fresh ear. Because no one is perfect.

Of course, that diligence may have been our undoing.

So, I wonder how much time/money was lost on this report by the MT.

the number of dislikes says a lot about the acumen of MTs today - very sad

[ In Reply To ..]
sorry, but if someone can't tell where to put a period, someone shouldn't be doing this job. That's ridiculous.

...regularization of her potassium and magnesium levels... - hypotension, her beta blockers...

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Well, that IS the job and always has been. - MT2Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
Change "levels and" to LEVELS, or even LEVELS AND, and it makes sense. I think that is, in fact, what he said.

I added a comma and corrected the spelling of "regulization." He means regulation or regularization. You could also change "where" to "when."

"There was initially significant tachycardia WHEN her beta blocker was resumed, although this had given her bradyarrhythmias and sinus block in the past, but ultimately, with REGULATION (or regularization), her potassium and magnesium LEVELED, and because of recurrent hypotension her beta blockers were discontinued and her rhythm remained stable."

In all seriousness, that IS the job. MT has always been that way. We used to thank God it was that way because it was the only thing keeping people off the street from being able to do it.

well, that IS the job - I disagree

[ In Reply To ..]
you are doing the "thinking" for the doctor. Both of the corrections change the meaning of the dictation. Correction of spelling and commas we do but not words "we think" it should be. I see you are a coder now, maybe a good thing.

You are assuming the OP was correct - but she was not.

[ In Reply To ..]
NM
Correct OP - Fatigued Fingers
[ In Reply To ..]
My what a snarky reply. How do you know if she was correct or not? Did you listen to the original dictation? Of course not, so then who are you to determine if she was correct or not?

I too think you are changing the words a little too much. - Never assume. sm

[ In Reply To ..]
The way you changed the words around completely changed the meaning of the statements, and there is no way to know if you changed it correctly to what the dictator was meaning. Never assume. Transcribe as dictated; leave blanks when unclear.

Sorry, I did not assume anything! - It was the OP who misheard.

[ In Reply To ..]
Sorry, but I did not assume anything. YOU are *assuming* the OP accurately transcribed to begin with, but she can't have because the doctor would not gave said those things.

What he SAID was what I wrote. I can tell because that is what makes sense. It makes sense grammatically and medically.

To put it bluntly, the OP seems to have parrot-typed sounds on a word by word basis rather than transcribing phrases in context. The doctor did NOT say what she typed. Period.

I see posts on this board all the time about how much medical knowledge MTs have ("we are better than doctors!"). If that is the case, how is it that some of you in this thread can't see what he meant here?? It is perfectly clear to the rest of us.

The key to understanding it is in more medical knowledge and in transcribing sentences as a whole, in context, not parrot-typing individual sounds.

The service my facility uses types this kind of nonsense all the time. It is infuriating.

If you think this is acceptable quality -- note that stupendous misspelling again, please -- then stop complaining about SR, because that kind of quality is what makes it more cost-feasible for hospitals to just use Dragon.

Sorry- - Wow!!
[ In Reply To ..]
Did you listen to the dictation?? Who is "the rest of us." Bottom line, I am not in the dictators head, I don't know "what he meant." I only hear what he says and if something is wrong, I blank it. You are really on your high-horse today. Maybe the service your facility uses is bad but maybe it's the doctors that are bad too. Maybe he is so bad she had to "parrot-type."
Good Lord, I totally agree with you ... - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Some MTs thinking they are just perfect and above everyone else and everyone else must be stupid ... you never ever assume what YOU think the doctor is saying. That crap the OP posted was an incoherent mess, plain and simple, and you can't assume ever and add or change words to what YOU think it is ... blank it and send it on to QA to deal with.
It wasn't an incoherent mess. That's the point. - unblvble
[ In Reply To ..]
Tired of the condescending attitude on these boards ... - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Someone posts about having a hard time and there are those on their high-horses who have nothing else better to do than to try to make others feel bad to make themselves seem superior. We've all been there ... not hearing something properly for various reasons, a crap dictator or crap audio that makes our ears deceive us. Being kind goes a long way in life ... so many here should try it some time. MT here for almost 20 years so not a newbie at this.
Service my facility uses- - well if they
[ In Reply To ..]
outsource for all the work they deserve what they get. If they use a service for overflow, then maybe they should watch what they send. Services are only out for the $$, and end up making the MT callus because of the pay and stress. If transcription was kept in-house then they have MTs that are familiar with the area and the physicians, and even though no one likes to admit it, really care, the personal interaction means a lot.
Yeah, because doctors NEVER dictate anything that is ... - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
grammatically or medically incorrect. smh
You have no idea what the OP heard. - You assume what she heard and assume what the prov
[ In Reply To ..]
...assume what the provider said. Wow.
and the PROVIDER is always RIGHT! - HAHAHHAHA
[ In Reply To ..]
NM
Dictators speak like this ALL THE TIME. - Your post just makes me laugh. Thanks I needed it
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Wow, are you out of touch with reality. - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
The MT "misheard" because the "doctor couldn't have said that because it wouldn't make sense." ?? HA HA. On top of that, I worked somewhere where it was verbatim. You would have been reprimanded for changing the doctors' words and "imagining" what he meant.

To the OP. I can imagine that the worst part is, if that was VR, having to re-read and re-read to 'try' to put in punctuation and only getting 4 cpl.
What he SAID was what I wroteLOL - I can tell because that is what makes sense. - wheres_my_job
[ In Reply To ..]
Hilarious. I've known doctors in my personal life, and they say they HATE transcription. Of course, when people are rushing through something they HATE doing, OF COURSE they're gonna "make sense" ALL THE TIME. OF COURSE, that's how it works.

LOL. "parrot typing." You can listen for context all you want, if instructions from job are VERBATIM, then that's what they're supposed to get.

It's medical transcription, not INTERPRETIVE medical transcription.
Are you working again? - Just wondering
[ In Reply To ..]
NM

Regulization - ???

[ In Reply To ..]
I have posted before about the made-up nonsense the MTSO sends back to my hospital. Nobody seems to believe me.

Take a good look at that "regulization," because THAT is what I am talking about.

'Cause no doc ever says "regulization"? - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
Health care providers NEVER make up words. Oh no. Or mispronounce drugs. Oh, never. Not them. LOL
Sure they do, but you are supposed to - transcribe the correct wording.
[ In Reply To ..]
Whether they make up words or mispronounce is irrelevant. You are supposed to transcribe the correct wording. If you can't do that, you are in the wrong job.
depends on where you work. Some accounts want VERBATIM even - if doc says something like that. Its
[ In Reply To ..]
something the MTSO works out with the account - how the account wants those things handled. Most times it is to be corrected, but a lot of times - accounts and/or MTSOs say it is their (the doctors') liability, not ours.

Nothing is concrete in this business - wouldn't it be nice if it were. But, no. We've got ADHI BOS saying one thing, MTSOs saying another, account personnel having their way, and doctors who don't care one way or another, but confused by all the exceptions to the rules.

Ain't life grand?
and sometimes urban docs say "wif" and "dis" but you change that. I HOPE. nm - Get Real
[ In Reply To ..]
Some of you take verbatim so far into the ridiculous level you shouldn't be allowed to call yourself a medical transcriptionist.

I know what you mean ... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
... I flag it for QA if I don't get it or understand what they are trying to say. Especially on VR ... don't get paid enough per line to figure out what they are trying to say.

EDITED TO SAY: I had a doctor like this just last night, not ESL, plus a mumbler and a stutterer and a stammerer and choking on his own saliva. Imagine being the family of the patient and trying to understand your loved one's condition, etc., with sentence structure and grammar like that.

My take on this muddy - paragraph

[ In Reply To ..]
There was initially significant tachycardia where her beta blocker was resumed, although this had given her bradyarrhythmias and sinus block in the past. Ultimately, with regularization of her potassium and magnesium levels, and because of recurrent hypotension, her beta blockers were discontinued and her rhythm remained stable.

That is very good. - Like it!

[ In Reply To ..]
NM

replace where with when - Misused "where"

[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Nooo! When I did that above, - look what they said!
[ In Reply To ..]
When I replaced where with when, they said I was "changing words around."

Seriously.

Perfect. That is exactly how it should be transcribed. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
-

Huh - If you are not allowed to make sense

[ In Reply To ..]
of this mess and change words, what the heck. Just do the best you can with it. I get reports that even VR leaves blanks. LOL

My philosophy most of the time is - garbage in, garbage out.

[ In Reply To ..]
Some of these doctors sound like they're stoned. There's just no way to make sense of the mess. :p

IMOH, some of them enjoy giving us a hard time - with their slurred speech

[ In Reply To ..]
It makes them feel smart when we can't understand them, even though we would have no problem if they spoke normally.

Similar Messages:

This Is Nuts!
Nov 23, 2009

This patient is from Spain here in the US for vacation.  The doctor is stating all these medications the patient is on in Spain, which I cannot verify anywhere.  I have googled etc.  Any ideas of a website that lists medications in Spain before I totally pull my hair out?  TIA.  ...

Nuts!
Jun 27, 2010

This pediatric transcription is making me nuts. I need all the help I can get please. "Down of the series was negative. Laboratory is including pneumonia 37, SOSO 8 level of 2 milligrams per deciliter" Please help me! ...

I Think I'm Going Nuts!
Nov 23, 2010

How's this?  (immune-mediated secondary MEMBRANIZIA?? ...

Drives Me Nuts
Dec 03, 2011

I have this one doctor that I get all the time who will say - The patient uh you know uh has you know.. Really?  No, I don't know what the patient has.  I'm not the doctor seeing him. ...

This Is Driving Me NUTS!!
Dec 15, 2011

When I am transcribing, I am hitting some key combination that is turning my type to all caps.  It's not the caps lock or it would show it was on.  Transcribing as fast as all of us do it is impossible to figure out what I am hitting to make this happen.  Does anyone have any ideas???  So appreciative!!! :) ...

This Board Has Gone Nuts
Jun 19, 2013

Soooo busy, work coming out of proverbial ears, a family crisis and health problems, but plenty of time to post, post, post, transcription is not dead! making money hand over fist! can't find qualified MTs! can't even reply to emails from MTs! no time to give you any specifics! I definitely need a break from this board. ...

This Doc Is Making Me Nuts
Dec 16, 2013

She says things  like "He currently has a G-tube of which medications will be administered."   Or "...secondary to UTI, Foley catheter associated, of which this has now been removed.  " Or "this is a chronic problem of which he had a G-tube inserted in October"    She's making me nuts tonight.  These examples are all from one report, too.  I guess if that's the worst thing I have to deal with tonight, tonight is still pretty good, but I just wan ...

Am I The Only One That This Drives Nuts? It Just Goes
Nov 21, 2014

all through me when someone is dictating and they just start laughing.  It is like shut up and speak clearly! ...

QA Driving Me Kinda Nuts!
Jul 02, 2012

The comments seem extremely picky to me and almost harrassing.  It seems I cannot do anything right.  Really tired today and it's been a bad day overall and now this.  just needed to vent.  I have a feeling I have not heard the last from the QA lady that hovers over me all day.  Thanks for listening. ...

This Phrase Is Making Me Nuts!
Nov 26, 2013

"...no evidency of malignancy"..  and she says it EVERY TIME!!!!  grrrrr!!  Sorry, I know there are bigger problems in life, but this is grating on my nerves more than usual today.  Must be pre-holiday stress :) ...

This Dictator Drives Me Nuts
Jun 29, 2014

Every other word is um, ahhh.  Then it's next paragraph, next paragrah, next paragraph. Then it's period, uh period, uh period.  Then he repeats next paragraph and period several more times.  Between and his other yucky habits, I really wish they would ban him from dictating.  ...

Assigning Jobs Drives Me Nuts
Feb 10, 2011

It's just not fair that a couple of people get almost 100% of OP notes throughout the day and I get 2 or 3 total, and those are only because they are miscoded as discharge summaries!  What do I have to do to become a "favorite?"  Gee, why can't I be loved by my MTSO like that?      ...

7 Cpl As An IC Without Spaces, 5 Yrs Exp Required... Are These Companies Nuts?
Jul 26, 2013

x ...

Grrrrrrrrr! This Doctor Is Driving Me Nuts!!
Aug 02, 2013

ESL, after saying the headings, repeats them along with adding a few more words, but it still means the same damn thing, says "umm you know" after almost every other word, keeps saying "feeded" instead of fed. VR has not learned him at all, so I'm having to delete every other word and all the "umm you knows".  13 minutes worth of this crap.  And 20 minutes later I'm not even done with it yet. This is going to be a very long day......... Can't forget about getting paid h ...

Time Scheduler Is Driving Me NUTS!
Dec 01, 2014

Where did they get her?  She has NEVER gotten an entry right on my time card!  Every time we have had technical downtime, she has screwed it up; adding the wrong times, deleting my punches, and replacing them with something she apparently made up.  I have e-mailed her specific times I worked, in a list format.  All she had to do was make sure it matched.  She can't even do that right!  We went back and forth in e-mail 4 times, before I finally gave up and made ...

2 Hours Mandatory OT - Yeah Right - They TRULY Are Nuts!
Jan 23, 2015

x ...

QA Driving Me Nuts. I Dont Mind Criticism But
Jul 24, 2012

Seriously how do you mark me for not putting a comma in when I have a QA marker preceeding it..Obviously I missed a word, the dictator rots, sorry..So instead of adding all that extra crap in..If you had just stuck to what I put, I may have learned something..Instead, my mind is going in 90 directions and I marked it as read and moved on..Waste of my time.  And when I put one through QA for a repeat word I feel I should know and just have never heard it or cant document it, then I NEVER see ...