A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Interesting article about transcriptionists not going away - anon

Posted: Jun 10, 2015

I came across this today when I was searching info on medical transcription. I found it interesting when it said offshoring was once popular in the 90s...

http://www.ahdpg.com/calling-all-transcriptionists-the-world-needs-you/

Can't open the link, get 404 error... - However, I would expect them to say that...

[ In Reply To ..]
They are trying to sell a transcription course for $3000-4000. Of course they are going to say transcriptionists aren't going away. They can't expect to say otherwise and still get people to buy their overpriced course.

Consider the source - DJ

[ In Reply To ..]
Looks like a school/staffing agency to me

So glad I read that. - So happy me.

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for sharing that article. It encouraged me not to give up quite yet.

Article appears to have been written by a school. - Most career schools are less than honest.

[ In Reply To ..]
I would be more apt to believe the experiences of MTs that I read about here over what a for-profit school is saying about the MT profession.

hee. sarcasm font apparently needed. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
/s

Very misleading. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
"3 Key points:

Speech recognition technology WILL NOT make medical transcriptionists obsolete.
Electronic health records WILL NOT eliminate the need for medical transcriptionists.
Medical transcription work WILL NOT completely be moved overseas (off-shoring)."

While these things cited in the article may not make transcriptionists completely obsolete, it does effect the number of transcriptionists needed to perform the job. I had an account recently go to EMR and instead of us getting 100-120 reports a day to transcribe, we now get maybe 5 a week on a good week. According to VR companies, MTs can edit twice as fast as they can transcribe (although we know from experience this isn't quite accurate), doesn't it then make sense that the same work can be performed using fewer MTs?

So while jobs not going away completely, there are fewer and fewer quality jobs left in this profession. With MTs with years, sometimes decades, of experience losing their jobs to EMR and VR, it is much harder for a new MT to break into this field as they are competing with very experienced MTs, and if they are lucky enough to find a company willing to hire a new MT and train them, it is often for minimum wage or less.

I certainly would consider the source on this article as it is definitely not unbiased.

I wonder when it was written? nm - mt

[ In Reply To ..]

Very misleading on the link mentioned - anonie

[ In Reply To ..]
The information from the Labor Department was from 2012. Not that way three years later. That is a huge drop. I unfortunately was amongst those who got chopped down to nearly nothing and one of my companies would not work with me and just fired me.

The other one I begged many times for more work than my one account and got passed by so many time that I just quit. Am fully retired but it has certainly eaten into my being able to do much but try to hang on with my SS and my tiny hospital pension.

Gosh, when is the government and these companies and the Labor Department going to see how they are screwing MTs and good ones with much experience.

Good luck to all of you. I sincerely hope you can get something to stay afloat. I am having to get assistance now from lots of places and waiting to see if I can move into another apartment not so expensive. Do not know how long that will be though.

Really discouraging when you are so alone and have no one to help earn the money to stay afloat. Divorced and I earned well till this happened.

My clinic completely eliminated MTs in favor of - front-end SR, so I dont believe this.

[ In Reply To ..]

That is not "an article" ... It is advertising . - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, please consider the source! That is not "an article." It is ADVERTISING for an online school. Look at the rest of that website. They teach a long list of things from MT to coding to billing to scribing, etc.

You can't just accept anything in print because it is in print. Read between the lines, consider the source, and be skeptical.

Similar Messages:

Interesting Article On VBC...
Jun 14, 2011

http://health-information.advanceweb.com/Article/VBC-Compensation-for-MTs.aspx Read the comments too.  The second one is on point! ...

Interesting Article...
Aug 07, 2011

This just basically proves that it still takes a human to do what a computer can't do...     ...

Another Interesting Article...sm
Jul 12, 2012

found this interesting and encouraging... ...

Interesting Article Re EMR
Sep 22, 2012

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/22/business/medicare-billing-rises-at-hospitals-with-electronic-records.html?smid=pl-share Please read!   ...

Interesting Medquist Article
Aug 11, 2011

http://www.faqs.org/sec-filings/110316/MEDQUIST-INC_10-K/ ...

Very Interesting Article To Read.
Mar 11, 2012

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1226934/Indian-police-arrest-company-boss-accused-selling-medical-records-British-patients.html ...

Interesting Article About Nuance
Mar 22, 2012

I was reading an email about current trends in the industry and it talked about Nuance's acquisition of Transcend and how Nuance had acquired 43 companies since being in business, gaining some of those acquisitions by bullying competitors with lawsuits and then buying them out. Then I stumbled across this article on Bloomberg Businessweek. It's a little dated (May 2011) but quite interesting, especially the quote from the Dave Grannan, CEO of Vlingo: "Competing with Nuance is like havi ...

Stumbled Across An Interesting Article
Jul 12, 2012

It was from a 2011 article on SR ... the comments are being made by Lynn Kosegi from M*Modal: Someone else who has been very eloquently making the same case for a while is Lynn Kosegi of M*Modal. Lynn presented at AHDI Florida twice last year, at our technology workshop and at our annual meeting, and she explained that paying speech rec editors at 50% the line rate effectively punishes the best producers and those producers will ultimately be lost to the profession, replaced by transcription di ...

Interesting Article About Scribes, Etc.
Aug 28, 2013

"Wow, the rates have gone down! Only $8-$10 per hour for these folks? That̢۪s great! Minimum wage in Oregon is currently $8.40 per hour. That means that I can get someone smart enough to learn medical terminology (the average medical student̢۪s vocabulary doubles over four years of medical school), operate an EMR (every one is different, and most all of them are hideously complex), listen carefully (a rare commodity in itself), type quickly (remember, the average follow-up visit only las ...

Interesting Article On Scribes...
Mar 01, 2014

From Health Care IT News - February 2014.  Interview with an ER doctor about using scribes in the ER and the process of documenting/entering information. http://www.healthcareitnews.com/blog/medical-scribes-history-present-illness-now-narrative ...

Thought This Was An Interesting Article
Jun 23, 2014

Personally, I think it would be great if we had TV commercials or radio commercials showing the impact and decline of the accuracy of patients' medical records and the starving of US MTs to death by greedy MTSOs offshoring to other countries. http://www.ahdilounge.org/index.php/2014/06/is-it-time-to-take-to-the-streets/ ...

Interesting Article Regards Apps And
Oct 24, 2014

From Boston Biz Journal http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/blog/health-care/2014/10/apps-the-next-frontier-to-the-electronic-medical.html?page=all ...

Interesting Article On Spheris Buyout.
Jun 01, 2010

Below is the link to article. http://business.nashvillepost.com/2010/03/15/spheris-seeks-approval-for-850k-bonus-plan/ ...

Interesting Article About Tech & Worldview
Apr 11, 2015

See especially the paragraph about driving down wages and controlling hiring.  This reminds me of MM and N's recent calling of ex-employees, and the recent post about the ex-employee being BULLIED  (the post is on the board here).  ...

Interesting Article, Nuance/M*Modal 20% Of Tx Business. Sm
May 22, 2012

Although this article dates back to March, I found it interesting. Had no idea that Nuance and MQ (M*Modal) only had 20% of the transcription business when this was written in March, 2012. http://seekingalpha.com/article/408141-can-transcend-services-write-its-own-ticket ...

Interesting Article About Fraudulent Scribing Practices
Mar 09, 2014

Hmmmmmm...I think I'll pass on trying to become a scribe. I don't think I could do what this scribe is asked to do. ...

Transcriptionists With ADD.... I Think Im One Of Them!
Feb 10, 2010

make a living being an MT?  In addition to how low our pay has gotten, and the myriad other problems that we all deal with, if you can't focus, do you think that is cutting into your finances as well? I've always had a suspicion that I have ADD.  Was a totally hyper kid.  Daydreamer in school.  High IQ (148), labelled as "gifted" in 1st Grade, yet with each passing year did less and less well in school.  Looked out the window and zoned out more than I paid att ...

When There Are No More US Transcriptionists...
Aug 19, 2013

M*Modal will call the shots.  No doubt they'll start jacking up prices to the clients then.  That's the way it usually works. Should only take a few more years.  Save a bit now, spend a lot more down the road.  Lol.  Shortsighted fools. ...

EMR's , Will This Mean The End Of Transcriptionists Or Is There Something We Can Do To Stay In
Nov 10, 2009

I am curious what the thoughts are about this. Will is be mandatory in a few years that all doctors offices go to EMR? Will this be the end of the medical transcriptionist or is there something we can do now to prepare for the change and still be in this field? ...

Ever Forget How Much Transcriptionists Really Know?? Sm
Feb 25, 2010

I am training someone and I am now reminded how far I have come, how much I have learned, and the things I take for granted and assume others know.   Basic things, just proper English, not even taking into consideration the medical terminology.  Knowing whether a sentence makes sense or not.  We really should be paid better.  But it is nice to feel smart sometimes....and you know anyone who can do this job really does have to be pretty darn intelligent.   Fello ...

SHREVEPORT, LA TRANSCRIPTIONISTS
May 20, 2010

If there are any MT's in the Shreveport/Bossier City, Louisiana area on this board, there are a few local employment agencies, in particular Jean Simpson and Career Adventures that are looking for transcriptionists for positions at physician's offices.  I recently got an in-house position and just want to pass along the news to anyone in this area that may be looking for a position.    ...

Axolotl Transcriptionists
May 26, 2010

I wouIld like to know what your opinion is on M-modal.  Do you like it or not?  Is it helpful to you?  Are you being nit-picked to death about it? ...

This Is Actually The Future For Transcriptionists, Sm
Aug 03, 2010

Go to this website.  Transcriptionists will no longer be needed in the future for transcribing or editing.  One of my friends told me the hospital she retired from is going to this system and their transcription department will eventually no longer exist.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGMEf11GmBo ...

Fellow Transcriptionists . . .
Oct 11, 2011

I am now down to 3 companies (from 4) trying to make a living at this, wondering what I should do next.  I'd like to go get my coding diploma and move on from there as I cannot take this anymore.  Four jobs and between all of them I got $700 last week and am still waiting for checks to arrive.  I asked one of them why it wasn't DD and they said they would cut and mail the check.  Lord knows when the other one will arrive.  I don't know, don't YOU ...

Anyone Know What They Pay The Global Transcriptionists?
Nov 16, 2012

How can they possibly get paid less than us? We get paid peanuts and if it is so lucrative for this company to send stuff offshore just wondering what they pay the indian transcriptionists?  ...

Pathology Transcriptionists Please Help
Mar 13, 2014

I work in the path department and when a malignant case comes up that requires a CAP, I defer to the CAP summary.  The docs dictate "lymphovascular . . ." but the CAP summaries will have "lymph-vascular . . ."   The problem is today I was checking the CAP protocol for the Lung CA and the word was used both ways.  In the actual protocol itself, there was the hyphenated version as a header, i.e., but then in the explanatory notes at the end of the protocol  there' ...

Future Ad For Transcriptionists
Mar 31, 2014

Ok, I am just venting some frustration here   Wanted: Experienced medical transcriptionist, VR experience.  Just for the privilege of doing transcription for us we will only charge you 3 cpl.  You may pay us by direct deposit each Friday.  The personal satisfaction you will receiving from being a part of making our company succeed and be profitable, along with satisfying the facility you are striving to put out perfect reports for should be enough for you, as we are t ...

UPMC Transcriptionists
Jul 28, 2014

I would like to get some information from the UPMC transcriptionists that lost their jobs at UPMC when their jobs were outsourced to Nuance. Please respond via email. I would greatly appreciate your help! Thanks! ...

MModal Transcriptionists
Jan 01, 2015

Curious as to the workload of MModal now.  I reitred almost a year ago after issues with speech recognition versus transcription. ...

EPIC-new EMR With No Transcriptionists Needed??
Jan 26, 2010

Hello! Just wondering if anyone has heard of "Epic" a new EMR. I work for a doctor's office and was told no need anymore for transcription. Checking to see if anyone is in the same boat I am or heard of this new EMR. Thanks ...