A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Does your company offer advancement opportunity? - Curious MT

Posted: Feb 06, 2013

I am curious as to ways transcriptonists (of employee status, not ICs) might be advancing in their transcription careers other than being paid incentive line rates. I am thinking long-term.

Do any of you get raises? If so, what kind? Are you paid per the line or hourly?

Are there different levels of transcription in your place of employment with different pay scales?

Do you make different rates for different dictators or work types?

Are there any other kinds of advancement opportunities available to you as an employee status MT?

Any information relative to how your company keeps you motivated long-term would be greatly appreciated.

Your answers - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Do any of you get raises? If so, what kind? Are you paid per the line or hourly? I HAVE NOT HAD A RAISE SINCE 2000, HOWEVER, I HAVE HAD 4 PAY CUTS. I AM PAID PER LINE.

Are there different levels of transcription in your place of employment with different pay scales? THERE ARE 3 DIFFERENT TIER LEVELS, BUT I HAVE BEEN AT THE TOP SINCE I WAS HIRED IN THE 90S.

Do you make different rates for different dictators or work types? I MAKE THE EXACT SAME PAY FOR EASY TO IMPOSSIBLE DICTATORS, OR EASY TO HARD WORK TYPES.

Are there any other kinds of advancement opportunities available to you as an employee status MT? THERE ARE NO OPPORTUNITIES FOR ME AS AN EMPLOYEE STATUS MT.

Any information relative to how your company keeps you motivated long-term would be greatly appreciated. I AM NO LONGER MOTIVED LONG TERM AS AN MT, I AM ACTIVELY LOOKING TO MOVE ON.

I haven't been able to find any companies offering anything but de-vancement - anymore.

[ In Reply To ..]
Ever since Nuance bought my company and decided that everyone is worth the same from new graduates to their top producers with loads of experience, and took away all of the advancements I had earned over the years, it seems everyone else I following suit. Advancement may exist, but it's rare now and a golden find.

No advancement here - Ayn

[ In Reply To ..]

Do any of you get raises? If so, what kind? Are you paid per the line or hourly? We get "raises," but they are not true raises IMO.  Our PTO rate has been raised (same amount for everyone) each year, but not line rate.  We are paid by the line -- all the same amount.

Are there different levels of transcription in your place of employment with different pay scales?  No, everyone is hired at the same lph rate and that rate never changes, ever.  There are no different levels of MT.

Do you make different rates for different dictators or work types?  Nope.

Are there any other kinds of advancement opportunities available to you as an employee status MT?  Only "advancement" would be out of MT into a QA position or another position entirely within the hospital.

Any information relative to how your company keeps you motivated long-term would be greatly appreciated  My company has not kept me motivated at all.  I sent out 5 resumes yesterday - all for jobs outside MT.  Laughing  I have stayed with this employer for 5+ years because I LOVE transcribing and I'm good at it.  I have worked at MTSOs in the past and swore never to do that again.  It is awful.  Despite the lack of advancement, I am still very well treated as an employee of a hospital with better pay than an MTSO, full benefits, working from home, equipment provided, so I stayed.  But, speech wreck and this very lack of advancement/lack of raises/lack of recognition for those doing a good job and is why I'm getting out. 

At Mmodal - One can

[ In Reply To ..]
be "advanced" into the title of master medical editor, apparently filling in blanks and double checking Indian and less skilled ME reports for a whopping 3 cpl, but hey, you get that nifty sounding title, right? *pathetic*

Same here - Curious MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I am also only getting the same line rate as I was when I first started, platforms have changed meaning I make less money, and little perks from the past have been taken away. I guess I haven't given up that slight glimmer of hope that maybe I can promote change.

Similar Messages:

Job Offer With New Company, Have Question
Sep 08, 2010

I work for MQ but just got a parttime job offer with another company.  I have to provide my own computer.  Would it be okay to use Medquist's computer temporarily for my new job until I can afford to buy a new one?  Is there anybody on here who uses one computer for two different companies? ...

Why Would A Company Not Offer Direct Deposit?
Feb 13, 2015

It seems to be a win-win for both transcriptionist and company with time saving and cost saving. So, why would they not offer it? Makes one wonder if the company is financially sound. ...

Does Your Company Offer 401k To Part Timers?
Jul 15, 2014

No need to name your company, a yes or no will do. Just wondering if it's even too much to hope for as I can only work PT but since I'm not married and don't plan to be ever, it's important for me. THanks in Advance! ...

Does Any Company Offer Med Insurance For Part-time?
May 20, 2015

x ...

Advancement With Transcend
Nov 27, 2011

Does anyone know how easy or hard it is to advance with Transcend, like say to QA or TL?  Thanks! ...

MModal Career Advancement
Sep 05, 2014

Been here over 10 years and the only thing they have advanced is the rate that they are cutting my pay, killing my morale and self-esteem.  Anybody else with me?  I am truly ashamed to claim I even work for this company anymore.  Can't wait to go. ...

Raise For Tier Level Advancement
Oct 25, 2010

Are we supposed to get a raise when we advance to a higher tier level?  TIA ...

Canthal Defect Myocutaneous Advancement Flaps
Jan 24, 2014

"*A sense of* undermining of the defect was performed and extension of the lower lid in a subciliary incision to create a myocutaneous flap was made.  *A sense of* undermining of this tissue and of the superior and medial aspect of the upper lid and nasal glabellar area was performed.  The tissues were advanced and secured to the deep tissue at the *sava* defect using 6-0 Vicryl in a simple interrupted buried fashion. " It is somewhat garbled, but "a sense of" doesn't make any sen ...

If You Had This Opportunity Come Up,
May 06, 2011

If you were working for a national, and making less than minimum wage, but had plenty of work and basic health insurance, would you take a per-diem inhouse job that paid 5 times what you were making now, but had no benefits, and meant a very long commute?  I'm thinkin' about it, but with gas headed toward $5/gallon, I'm not so sure.......... ...

Possible Job Opportunity
Feb 10, 2014

Our local hospital has a new position for HIM Clerk to review medical reports for accuracy.  This pays twice what I was making as an editor for a service.  I wonder if this will be the trend, to create new in-house positions in HIM for editing.  Perhaps another endeavor that will not end up saving them money or improving accuracy over what their service is providing?  Perhaps someday the bean counters will realize they could drop one millionaire CEO to gain 250 experienced e ...

Missed An Opportunity?
Oct 19, 2011

Just wondering if anyone has missed a job opportunity by not responding right away to a potential employer. I got an email yesterday around 3 p.m. asking to interview with me and I responded around 5 p.m. and have now heard nothing back. Just wondering if I missed my window? Would they go with someone else just because they were available in that 2-hour window? I really, really, really want this job and am just making myself sick over the possibility I may have missed my opportunity. ...

Great Opportunity?
Nov 12, 2013

I am a former MT (laid off) who worked for a University teaching hospital for 16 years doing transcription. After Nuance took over I took a job at the same University teaching hosp. doing outpatient clerk position. I am thinking of enrolling in classes for coding because this hospital has a coder training program that starts you at over $19 an hour, just have to be enrolled in school to apply for the job. They do training classes as part of your work day and then you study on your own to get cer ...

Amphion Opportunity
Mar 10, 2015

I have a question about Amphion.  I applied to them last summer, and I ended up taking another position.  Now, I am looking for work again and tested for them again.  The benefits email I received when I first applied to them had OUTRAGEOUS costs for the health insurance - are they still like that?  Which insurance do they offer - still Humana? Cee ...

Moving On To A Non-MT Job Opportunity
Apr 30, 2015

I am pleased to say I have found an open door to a job opportunity that is outside of MT work.  It is a job that will utilize my experience in healthcare and my medical terminology.  A very nice pay increase, regular holidays off with pay, and vacation and sick time. No weekend work. Most importantly, a new skill set that makes my more marketable opening up more future opportunities as well. I hope this encourages some of you to see what is out there.  Submitting a resume or filli ...

An Opportunity I Was Presented With
Jun 15, 2015

Hi all,  I need some advice.  I am currently a medical transcriptionist and I applied for a job at a local billing company as an administrative support for the coding department.  The pay was 13.00 an hour and it was about 33 miles from where I live, so I declined on that offer.  The HR lady had told me during the phone conversation the day I declined that because of my background in transcription she asked if I would be interested in coding if a spot opened up, which she sa ...

Golden Opportunity For Hospitals Right Now!
Nov 11, 2010

As we all know, thanks to the way most MTSOs operate, there is currently a glut of experienced, talented, highly-qualified MTs who are looking for something better than just a chickenfeed job at a national.       Some hospitals have begun to question the quality of work they're getting back from the nationals (and the HIPAA compliance), since ever-increasing amounts of the work those nationals have is getting offshored.    & ...

I Am Blessed To Have The Opportunity To Work Both As An IC And Inhouse.
Jan 25, 2010

There are good things about both sides.  I get paid more inhouse but I have more free time with IC. ...

This Pay Cut Is Perfect Opportunity For MT To Make A Stand. If All
Dec 23, 2010

work for this, what would happen?  Now is the time to stand up for what you deserve. ...

Is This A Figment Of Someone's Imagination. Mmodal Transcription Opportunity.
Oct 03, 2012

M*Modal Transcription Opportunity - M*Modal Posted: Oct 2nd, 2012 - 2:18 pmM*Modal 5000 Meridan Blvd Franklin, TN 37067 mmodal@rightthinginc.com M*Modal is now accepting applications for Acute Care transcriptionists! Positions offer flexible afternoon/evening hours, great pay, sign on bonus, shift differential and benefits!At M*Modal We Are Committed to: Respect: We treat each other and our customers with respect, valuing individual and cultural differences and approaches to work. Teamwork: We ...

Are MLSs Given The Opportunity To Switch From Acute Care Over To Ambulatory
Jul 21, 2014

have plenty of work, have exclusive work pools and dictators, great support from QA and TSMs. ...

Part-time Transcription Opportunity In Mental Health Clinic/Bronx, NY
Sep 25, 2013

Wednesdays and Thursdays only. Must have medical terminology, knowledge of ICD-V codes, fast typing, Spanish speaking very helpful. Send resume to Samantha G. at 212-481-9582. ...

At Your Company, Are Your Company-observed Holidays Paid By The Company?
Oct 07, 2014

I am working at a company who observes certain holidays and we are required to work 4 of them, but this is the first company I have ever worked where I have to use my PTO on the holiday I am supposed to be off.  Does your company do the same?     Thank you! :) ...

I Got A Job Offer!
Jan 17, 2010

Haven't even completely finished school, tested for a part time IC position, and I got the job offer today! It can be done, ****! *** Stop with the snide remarks toward experienced MTs who do not share your point of view for this career.   Moderator *** ...

Offer
Dec 07, 2010

hypertype:  Straight VR - 0.6 cents/line, IC status with 10.00 licensing fee every 2 weeks. Mostly ER. Good offer? or bad offer? ...

Job Offer At TTS ?
Sep 19, 2012

Have an offer,not sure though. Would love to hear from others who work there and in the know. How is their QA done, weekly, monthly, every 3 months like where I work now or just how. Do you think the QA is there, fair, critical, just anything I could find out would be nice.  ...

Non-MT Job Offer
Mar 29, 2013

...Okay, I'm not here to start a fight about union vs non-union, but I was just offered a non-MT job at a hospital that has a union, and I am anti-union.  When she told me that it was a union position, my jaw dropped.  She must have seen the look on my face, because she told me that since this is Florida, we don't HAVE to join the union or pay dues or anything like that.  My face brightened up right away. SO, if you are not pro-union be SURE to ask if the state you live ...

Does Anyone Know What Companies Offer
Nov 12, 2009

Kaiser insurance besides MedQuist?  I want to leave MedQuist but I love my Kaiser insurance.  Please help.  TIA. ...

I Got A Job Offer! - UPDATE
Feb 13, 2010

I am updating, like I said I would.  I'm still working, and I LOVE the job!  Granted, the pay isn't where I would like it to be yet, but it gets better every day, because my line count gets higher every day!  Thanks to those of you who encouraged and supported me during the hiring process! ...

GOT A BETTER OFFER FROM WAL-MART
Feb 18, 2010

Well after being in this business for almost 20 years, I have decided it's time to hang up the keyboard,  as a single person I can no longer support myself as a medical transcriptionist.  This is not even a good part-time job anymore.  I have worked for more companies than I cared to admit, suffered through intolerable divas as team leads, gestapo QA, constant nip picking on where a comma goes, or a verb, and had my cpl reduced from what started out at 13 cpl to 0.0350 cpl.&n ...

Taking More Than 1 Offer
Mar 15, 2010

I have 2 job offers from 2 different companies, but both of these companies are fairly large and have multiple posts with complaints that there is just not enough work for everyone. Would it be possible to take both offers, on the chance that if one doesn't have work the other will? I might be kinda screwed if they both have a lot of work, but it might be worth it to see how both will work out without closing any doors. Has anyone done this before? Is it possible to run 2 companies differen ...