A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Company requiring set hours for IC - wondering

Posted: Nov 05, 2014

I thought ICs could not be required to work specific shifts and hours, but one company is dogmatic that they WILL do as they say or hit the road. 

The hiring person says that you contract to work specific times, which SHE specifies, not your choice. 

Doesn't that make you an employee?  Or am I reading the BOLI laws wrong?

You are correct. They need to be reported. - They can demand

[ In Reply To ..]
specific hours and, unfortunately, MTs who are desperate for jobs will take them, but that doesn't mean the MTSO is legally in their rights. They can't just call a position an IC and it is. The IRS has VERY detailed descriptions for employees vs ICs, including whether the IC is being told when and how to work. They can be reported, investigated, and fined.

http://www.twc.state.tx.us/news/efte/appx_d_irs_ic_test.html

How is the company you work for supposed to - know when

[ In Reply To ..]
someone is working if you don't tell them what hours you are going to work. Heck I'd love to just sign off whenever I want, come back on whenever I want. The truth is the company I work for has clients and needs to know when MTs are working so they can know whether or not they need to bring more MTs in. What if all MTs took off at the same time, then my company would be sitting there wondering, okay, well the client needs these jobs in 2 hours and nobody is working, what I am going to do.

At least that is my take on it.

If that's your take on it - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Then it might be a good time to review the IRS code regarding IC versus employee status.

Then the company should - MTPerson

[ In Reply To ..]
hire employees and not ICs.

I think you could be new to the - industry.

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't think you know how it works. It sounds like you someone told you it's impossible and you believed it. If it was, then why would it exist? ICs usually submit a time frame and/or amount of lines they would like to work. I work now as an IC and when I was hired, I was asked what days I would like to work and how many lines I would need. I work weekday 'afternoons' with and my daily hours vary. Before this, I had worked as an employee for 20 years where we just needed to do a minimum amount of lines per pay period. So, obviously it has (and still does) work. That was until offshore MTSOs got into this business and didn't 'get' how doctors dictate. Dictation is not the same amount on any given day (or hour), yet they want the same exact number of MTs sitting there the exact same number of hours daily. It doesn't make sense for the MT, but works for the MTSO. Why do you think there are so many complaints of low work one day and then mandatory OT the next? Ironically, many MTs have to work off their shift anyway just to get their hours in, so end up not working their schedule.

To reiterate, if IC schedules didn't work, there wouldn't be successful companies with this business plan. I work for one, and we regularly receive praise for keeping our clients happy and the work within TAT. The reasons these are rare is because it's much easier (and lazier) for an MTSO to hire employees for shifts and then make their MTs work 24/7 to cover the work flow. As a result, it's bad enough MTs think that's normal, but now you have MTSOs doing the same exact thing, but calling the employee an IC to avoid the benefits. Anybody who defends that......

You are reading it correctly - Gram Horsey

[ In Reply To ..]
Check out the IRS website on ICs and you will see you are not wrong. You are considered self-employed and contract the work to suit you within reason. Although, if the company does not like it they will simply not need your services any longer. They still have the advantage.

True indeed - BUT

[ In Reply To ..]
They do have the upper hand, but do you want to work for a controlling, basically narcissistic person? If they want me to work set days and hours, then pay me as an employee and then have the option for total control.

Yes, work does need to get back to clients, but IC is FLEXIBLE. Not boxed in.

There are LOTS of bad fish out there in the transcription field, and the good ones are getting fewer and fewer and harder to find :-(

Similar Messages:

Contract Requiring Transcriptionists To Work For Only One Company
Apr 27, 2010

Does anyone know if it is legal (it could vary from state to state, I know) for a company to require you in their contract to work for no other company?  I have seen this in two different contacts for two different companies in the last few months.  Thanks for any knowledgeable input on this. ...

A Company That I Applied For Is Requiring Business License
Jun 03, 2014

A company that I applied for is requiring that I have myself and/or my company licensed in my municipality as a businessowner before they hire me to work for them as an IC.  I am wondering how do you go about doing this and is this now becoming the "new norm" for working as an IC?  This is the first I have ever heard of such other than having to get an employee identification number through the IRS, which I have already done so.  I contacted my township supervisor and he said he knew nothing ...

Anybody Know Of A Company With Clinic Work, IC, Minor Flexibility In Hours?
Jan 22, 2015

I've been out of MT for a few years to go back to college after spending a decade at the daily grind but finances require me to go back to work and so I'm crawling back to the industry again. Anyone know of any companies (nationals fine by me) who are hiring for clinic work? It would be extra ideal to find an IC position that offered me even minor flexibility with my schedule so I could break to drive my kids to school and husband to and from work etc. since we are currently all s ...

What Is With Most Jobs Requiring XP?
Dec 07, 2011

XP is outdated and no longer available to purchase or supported by Microsoft as per my understanding.  Isn't Windows 7 the norm now?  I can understand not wanting 64-bit systems for their platforms.... but ONLY XP ?? ...

Landmark Now Requiring.....
Apr 09, 2014

....line requirements per hour. Did anyone receive this e-mail this morning? It said she will let us what the requirements actually are forthcoming. I know this is the norm with most MT companies, but one of the reasons why I have stayed with Landmark so long was I could basically name my own quota and own hours. Since this was my secondary job, I could fit it in when I had free time throughout the day. Oh well....not really complaining, just surprised a little. ...

Requiring A Business Name
Mar 11, 2015

I have applied to a transcription company that requires me to register for a business name.  I have been in transcription for 15 years as an independent contractor just with a 1099 and my accountant says that it is not necessary for me to register for a business name.  Does anyone have any information on this.   Thank you. ...

Requiring Email Response In 5 Min
Jun 01, 2010

Got to thinking about this, wouldn't this be something agreed upon (contract?) before starting with the company?  Otherwise, threatening to fire you for not responding to an email sounds like a ripe labor law violation.  Wrongful termination?  Bait and switch?  Plain unethical.     ...

Jobs Requiring Windows 7
Feb 23, 2015

In scanning the job wanted board, I noticed that many companies only use and accept Windows 7.  Is this pretty typical?  I have Windows 8.1 so I'm wondering how limiting this will be.   ...

Companies Requiring EHMR - A Question
Sep 05, 2013

So where do you get the experience for this. Is it worth taking some type of course? I love transcription, but the future does not look good. I would love to learn something that would include my experience. Thanks for any info. ...

New IC Contract Requiring Response To E-mails In 5 Minutes
May 29, 2010

Got a new kind of rudely worded in places contract from company I've been with a little bit.  I don't care about agreeing to 98% on quality audits, or agreeing to provide a certain number of minutes/lines of work a day and specifying which days, or agreeing to 24-hour TAT, but there is a section that we must respond to e-mails or any other form of communication within 5 minutes during active work hours, otherwise without an acceptable excuse (power/internet outage or emergency) af ...

Perirectal Tissues Requiring CT S/l (thick Headed Drainage)
Aug 29, 2010

Perirectal tissues requiring CT s/l (thick headed drainage) ...

Just Applied To Nuance. Curious What Hours Most Of You Work And What Hours 2nd Shift Is?
Jul 10, 2012

Please don't discourage me from applying to Nuance.  I just lost my job today and I need a job BAD!  Plus, I've only got two semesters of college left before I graduate and move out of this field.  Anyway, can someone tell me what 2nd shift hours are? And I'm curious to know when most of you work. Thanks ...

Shesh. Been Sitting Here 6 Hours For 3-1/2 Hours Of Work.
Apr 17, 2013

Somehow, I think we should be getting paid for the time we are waiting between jobs, especially since the wait isn't fitting into the 15-minute wait period. - Of course, waiting put under work availability. ...

Department Of Labor Says 40 Hours Equals 40 Hours...
Sep 16, 2014

...check it out for yourselves. Employees are not independent contractors. If you signed up for a straight 8 per day, your time sheet should reflect only the breaks you take off the clock. They are so messing with you folks! ...

Pt Developed Acute S/l Fleitus Requiring Emergent NG Tube Placement And A 3 Day Stay In The ICU Wher
May 31, 2010

xx ...

Acute Renal Failure Requiring "slad"?
Jun 03, 2010

x ...

Renal Stone, Staghorn, And 6 Mm Low Stone Requiring...
Jun 12, 2010

Renal stone, Staghorn, and 6 mm low stone requiring s/l fis tell and right stent placed. ...

Is It Possible To Get 40 Hours' Work In 40 Hours?
Aug 09, 2014

If it takes more, how many more? I realize this is an answer dependent on many factors, but I'm talking in general terms. Thank you. ...

At Your Company, Are Your Company-observed Holidays Paid By The Company?
Oct 07, 2014

I am working at a company who observes certain holidays and we are required to work 4 of them, but this is the first company I have ever worked where I have to use my PTO on the holiday I am supposed to be off.  Does your company do the same?     Thank you! :) ...

Can Someone Suggest A Company That Hires IC? I Can't Work For A Company That Offers Insurance.
Feb 17, 2014

Xx ...

I Want To Find A Different Company, But My Fear Is That MQ Will Only Swallow That Company
Jul 15, 2011

up and I'd be back at square one, making no more than their "maximums."  I wonder, are this new maximum pay going to stay the same (or lower)?  I mean, in 5 or 10 years (if we are still here) will it be the same?  Or less?  I think so. ...

On Company Board, Under Post You Quit A Company
Sep 11, 2011

what's going on? ...

What Would Be An Ideal Company? I Would Like To Build That Company.
Mar 31, 2010

We are a pretty big company, and we think we know what transcriptionists want, but it doesn't hurt to ask.  There are a lot of top people in our industry that are finding themselves without jobs, often without notice, both managers and transcriptionists.  I think that the tide is turning, and that we need to make sure that we treat our people right, so if you could take a few minutes and answer this, maybe we can make a difference.  I am asking for real answers, ones that ar ...

I Wanted To Add A Company To The Bad Company List And
Apr 21, 2012

one to stay away from.  Integrity.  They test you, claim they are checking your references and then when you email asking if they got hold of the references, crickets.  Not a word from them.  This has been a few weeks, too.  If they are this rude just during the recruiting process, I hate to think what working for them would be like. ...

MDOfficeManager (company) - Anyone Have Information On This Company?
Aug 31, 2014

Has anyone heard of a company called MDOfficeManager?  I was interested but I do not like the way they require SSN and other personal information up front before allowing the applicant to proceed with other parts of the application, including online tests.  I have heard there are fake websites for job applications.  Thanks. ...

Nuance... Bad Company Or Worst Company Ever.
May 15, 2015

Some days are more aggravating than others with this company.   ...

Less Than 24 Hours PT??
Nov 20, 2009

I understand with 24 hours you get PTO, but can you be scheduled for less than 24. That is a lot for a PT position. Most companies only require 20 per week. ...

Q8h Or Every Eight Hours?
Mar 12, 2010

Which is correct? I thought I had remembered something from the BOS (which I can't find in my office right now) that said if the dictator said q 8 hours then it should be spelled out as every eight hours. Is that correct or am I losing my mind? ...

Best Hours
Aug 28, 2010

I know there are so many on here who are fed up with Medquist.  But, can anyone tell me if there is any shift or days that work is usually available?  Overnight shift?  Evenings?  I have 2 friends who work for MQ and they are not out of jobs when they work.  (well, that's what they tell me).  They said it actually just depends on the account.   Is anybody here OK with MQ, maybe not perfectly happy, but not destitute either?  TIA ...

Every 4 Hours
Jun 29, 2011

so can someone clear me up about how to type q4h   ?? (as in every 4 hours).    thanks! ...