A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Career and Education Advice For Medical Transcription - WannaBMT

Posted: Nov 14, 2009

Hello,

I am looking for advice from some of the seasoned MT's and those who have been in the field for about a year now.  

I am looking into medical transcription; initially for part-time supplemental income and down-the-road as a full-time career.  

Here are the questions that I have:

1. Which schools, particularly online courses, are well known for developing successful MT's; more specifically which programs are good at helping their graduates land jobs?
  2. For someone who hold's a Bachelor's degree in a different filed would I have to get an Associate's degree in Medical Transcription (full 2 years of schooling) or is a 4-6 month MT certificate course good enough?
  3. How hard or easy is it to find a job once I complete the MT curriculum and pass the required test (s)?
Any constructive advise and input will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for your time and consideration.

My advice.. You WannaBMT, move to India - sound advice

[ In Reply To ..]
Also, you could go read Kimberlina's post from the other day, good advice there also!

lol, haha......nm - dk

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

This is not a money making field, full time people are - having to work 2-3 jobs to make a living

[ In Reply To ..]
I do not know about the schools as trained inhouse. The pay has gone down, most seasoned cannot make a living now on 1 job. You might have a few that say they make $$$$ but those are really few and far between. Having a degree even in transcription does not count for much. You have to be able to do the work, not just have a degree as most MTSOs do not pay that much attention to those. I have heard on here that not only seasoned people having a tough time finding a job but people with no experience in transcription have a really difficult time. The MTSOs say they want at least 2 years experience in the transcription field. By the way when you say part-time supplemental income, what did you think you would be making?

part time supplemental income - WannaBMT

[ In Reply To ..]
By part-time supplemental income I meant around 25 hours per week @ of approximately $25,000/year.

Oh dear, that is what I make full time and went to school, and have - 10 years experience. GOOD LUCK

[ In Reply To ..]
Where do people come up with this stuff?

I gotta bridge I wanna sell, any takers?

Like the post below, full time people making - around that much now with

[ In Reply To ..]
more than 1 job, 10-12 hours per day. Most cannot make $25 thou on their full time anymore. You should have been in this field when you could make some money. Did someone tell you you could make that or did you see an ad for that?

I work full-time, 6 days a week, with 30 years' experience - and I only made $20,000 last year.

[ In Reply To ..]
Why? Because of my ability to do tough reports, that's what they send me. Do I get paid extra for them? No. Between that, as well as the standard problems of sometimes no work, company software that slows me down immensely, and a high minimum daily line rate, I can never seem to get ahead - I'm barely treading water here. Add to that the fact that MT wages have taken a nosedive in the past decade, and especially last year, and now I only WISH I could've made $25,000 last year! (Not to mention that in years past, I averaged around $35-40,000/year.

It's a good living in India, but here it's nothing but a bad joke.
devalued MTs - enigma
[ In Reply To ..]
Me too. I work full time, 20 years' experience, can do all kinds of reports and all kinds of doctors. I got shuffled around to where the most difficult dictation was because I could do it. My income has gone down by 20% over the last 5 years. I love this type of work, but it does not make ends meet! It has been my career and I loved working at home but it has become impossible to manage without another family member to help pay the bills.
We're all in the same boat. - Not to many $50,000/yr that I know
[ In Reply To ..]
I can't get over some of the post on MQ Forum claiming they make well over $50,000 a year. Might be true, but all I ever get is 100% ESL dictators, not the same ones EVER!!!, or I get Standard American English dictators that is 100% crap. The dictation I generally get is just awful, should not even be put throught to transcribe. MQ will take anything to make a dollar and at our expense. I find it hard to believe that people are at MQ making $50,000. Or, working part-time as an MT making $25,000. I just don't believe it and will need some concerte proof other than just a post on a blog. If QA and CCM pay is less, how can the MTs be more given the low rate for ASR? Just doesn't add up.
but now that you said that, will probably get replies - about it.
[ In Reply To ..]
Read your post and had to laugh - just another MT
[ In Reply To ..]
Because it could have been ME who wrote it! I also have 30 years of acute care experience and my reward for working 60 hours a week on the hardest ESL accounts around, was that I grossed 25K last year. Compared to 30K in 1985 working part time.

Soon they can send ALL of their work to India because there won't be any of us left here. I know I'm finished.

Pay - Stephanie

[ In Reply To ..]
Something to keep in mind is that our pay has gone down so have a lot of others pay in more traditional go out to work and clock in kind of jobs. You have people who have Bachelors and Masters degrees who are out of work and are unable to find work either because jobs in their field are very competitive and/or few OR they go to look for another job only to be told they are over qualified for the position. Truthfully, I have always have had 2 part-time jobs to protect myself against running into an issue of running out of work and it has worked beautifully. I have even been thinking about perhaps picking up a third part-time job. I am thinking about it because outside of extra money coming in, I am very concerned about the state of the economy. If unemployment continues to go up and if they are right about any effects from the stimulus pooping out towards the end of 2010, you cannot tell me that you will not have fewer people coming in for medical care as an effect of both.

I have always worked TWO jobs in transcription... - MT80

[ In Reply To ..]
And it works great for me. I have never been without work and I make a VERY good living. I realize that wages have gone down, BUT wages have gone down on MOST jobs with the economy today. There are A LOT of people with a good education that are laid off of work and looking for work. I feel BLESSED that I am able to make a good living at my home as a transcriptionist and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I have a couple of degrees myself that I could fall back on if necessary, but hope it never gets to that point. I LOVE my job:)
2 jobs - Stephanie
[ In Reply To ..]
It's the truth. It is the best thing to do, working 2 different places. You have more work to pull from and as much as people think no it cannot happen, a place you do work for can lose work and it is always good to have a backup just in case. I think for a lot of people they are used to only working for 1 place and it can be hard for some to do work for 2 places. They may not be able to manage their time well. I feel the same as you, MT80, I very much enjoy what I do and am happy to have a rather comfortable life.

I have to wonder - gourdpainter

[ In Reply To ..]
One of the first requirements for being a good MT is the ability to research. People continue to post these questions when all that is necessary is to READ previous posts on this board. That should give you all the information you need to make a decision.

I have to wonder why anyone who holds a B.S. degree in ANYTHING would even consider getting into this dead-end job! You want to make $25,000/year for part time work? My suggestion would be go to McDonalds, your chances of making that would be much better.

its called a Rile Up post; people, don't feed the trolls. - N/M

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Consider only M-TEC - Polly

[ In Reply To ..]

I will answer this seriously for you and others that may have the same questions.

Part-time work is very hard to come by. Full-time work is equally as difficult to come by even if you have lots of experience (read: decades). Decent-paying work is virtually unheard of anymore.

Which schools?
  If you absolutely have to/want to join this profession, then seriously consider only two online schools, one being M-TEC and the other being Andrews. Unfortunately, there are a lot of problems with Andrews (and there has been for a very long time and worsening every year) regarding their skimping on curriculum and books to save them money; willy-nilly, rapidly changing rules and philosophy, often on a week-to-week basis; and other job-critical issues. Also, it is really not self-paced as advertised, and you will be hounded and repeatedly threatened to get through the course as quickly as possible, and at the same time, you will be chastised and penalized because you did not spend enough time learning, reviewing, etc. There really is little-to-no help with landing your first job other than maybe a cursory look-see at your resume and some often long-outdated (by years) listings of job announcements usually aimed toward graduates with years of experience. In fact, there are questions posted often on the graduate board by the owner asking us grads if we know anything about such-and-such company; no help whatsoever, but, there is a lot of lip service on making it seem "helpful and caring." (Not.) So, I would only really recommend M-TEC. They do have a far superior curriculum, by the way, and you will be much better prepared.

(Check out http://www.complaintsboard.com/ and put Andrews School in the search box. I've read through those postings and agree with just about all that was mentioned except for Andrews School being a scam. I don't agree that Andrews is a scam, but I do think that it is far overpriced, maybe being really worth about $1800 to maybe $2000 tops in terms of its curriculum.)

Realistically, figure on spending about $4-5K on your schooling, having to study full time, and taking approximately 1-1/2 to 2 years to complete that schooling to get yourself to a very minimally qualified level of expertise. This is not a profession where you can become minimally qualified for an entry-level job by taking a 4-5 month "course" and then expect to pick up a decent-paying part-time job. It doesn't matter what educational degrees you have behind you. This is an entirely different skill set that is fairly difficult to learn, takes literally decades to master, and requires unrelenting, often tedious, attention to detail all the time. Therefore, it will take a considerable amount of time to learn and develop that skill set.

By the way, I am a full-time IC and an Andrews graduate, working 7 days a week, transcribing acute care approximately 10-12 hours per day every day, and I will be lucky to clear $12,000 this year. I do not even make minimum wage. Of note, I have only been doing this one year, so I am virtually a "newbie" in this field.

Even with M-TEC or even Andrews on a resume, a fresh graduate without any job experience can count on having a very difficult time finding anyone to hire them. It took me almost 4 months to find a job, and I was given "consideration" and allowed to test by various companies (passed all the acute care testing without problem)  because I did have Andrews listed on my resume.

If you are a stay-at-home mom wannabe and your children are young and need regular supervision, this profession would be agonizingly difficult--placing not only the patients' lives in jeopardy, but your childrens' lives as well--and, it is extremely low paying.

Best advice I can give you regarding supplemental income? Get a part-time job at McDonalds or Wal-Mart or some other place locally. You'll make a whole lot more money, honey.

More on M-Tec - viola33

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree wholeheartedly with Polly, except for 1 thing.

M-Tec DID have a better curriculum, certainly better tech support.

It has recently been bought by Webmedx, and there are numerous changes. I can't speak on this in much detail, as I didn't attend there and don't know how to compare; but among other things, they, too, are now putting strict time limits on instruction, charging more for students who take longer. No longer run by an MT, M-Tec is now run by a "manager" with no practical knowledge of the field.

While what Polly says of M-Tec WAS true, it may not be much longer.

Okay, I have to ask - Destinyisntfree

[ In Reply To ..]
How exactly would working at home as an MT endanger her children's lives? Sorry, but I am not getting that one.

I have worked at home as an MT for almost 10 years, and have two children, ages 6 and 3. They have never had to have mommy working outside the home and had to spend all of their time in daycare, so I just don't get it.
And both of my children are healthy, happy, and have never had a broken bone.

I really have to wonder about some things that I see people post on here. I really miss when MTs were about helping each other and learning and growing as a transcriptionist.

I will not see here and lie and say that any of it is easy, because it is not. It takes a great deal of dedication and flexibility to be able to work at home with children, or to make a decent living in this field in general.

I have always had at least 2 jobs, and currently have a full time and 2 part time positions. I am not getting rich but my bills are paid.

25 grand a year part time may not necessarily be a realistic goal, especially not right out of school. In the beginning, you will be slow and have to spend countless amounts of time looking up unfamiliar terms regardless of where you got your education.

MT as a career - Just me

[ In Reply To ..]
My advice to you is DON'T DO IT...

Mine too - Elizabeth

[ In Reply To ..]
Don't do it.

The better you get, the worse your work will be.

When you can understand things like, "Dollya Pea Dollya," and know they mean WPW, and know that "Coreg 325 milligrams," is a dosage that would kill a small elephant; get out of the business. At that point, you'll only pull work from the cesspool.

When the older MTs retire all MT jobs will be outsourced to India.

becoming an MT - iasdwas

[ In Reply To ..]
Here is my story: I went to Andrews, which took 2 years instead of the 1 as advertised, and graduated in September 08. I was only offered 1 job in 4 months of applying, and I took it. I worked there 8 months and made $2000. I spent $3800 on tuition and another $1000 on a new computer and software. The industry has changed and only the best of the best make it at all, and "make it" means making $20K/year. I was btw, a merit scholar honorable mention, on the honor roll in HS and the dean's list in college.

Read and heed - A Caveat 2 MT Wannabes

[ In Reply To ..]

Polly is right, and I hope you will read and heed her wise words. If after doing so it is still your intent to go to school, then here are some pointers you should take into consideration:

1    Under no circumstance should you allow an online school to subscribe to a lower standard than you would a real "bricks and mortar" school.
By this I mean if you wouldn't be okay attending a school at its physical locale that had little or no legitimate accreditation or whose idea of career counseling and placement was a copy of the want ads and a bulletin board for graduates to post their ideas and experiences finding employment, or whose instructors are not credentialed in the area they teach, then don't attend one online.

2    Spend some time reading this and other MT forums.
Bear in mind that one particular website dedicates space to and allows proprietors of a couple of well-known schools to moderate their forums. Given those circumstances, consider the likelihood of any meaningfully negative post about those schools ever seeing the light of day. Certainly you will, from time to time, see the poorly styled, syntactically scary "Beware of This 'er Skool" replete with grammar and punctuation gaffes a third-grader likely wouldn't make, and why not? Posts such as these never reflect as poorly on the school as they do the person posting.

However . . .

3    As you search the internet, keep in mind that a very vocal, prolifically posting, mostly anonymous FEW posting the same thing dozens of times is not the same as DOZENS OF DIFFERENT people posting the same thing once.
MT schools, like the MT profession in general, are not without their ardent and vocal supporters. The longer a school has been in existence, the more graduates it should have, and should have no problem giving you lots and lots of names of former students and businesses who hire their graduates. Contact as many of those references as you can.

4    Medical transcription, like most other professions, is not for everyone. A good school will have some sort of prescreening assessment that gives the school an idea of your existing knowledge and skill set; such an assessment should also be sufficiently difficult to give you some idea of the school's expectations and style of grading.
You should receive specific feedback from your prescreening assessment and not a form letter or something very nearly a form letter. If the school doesn't have time to genuinely assess you, it likely won't take the time to genuinely instruct you.

5    Do not even consider a school that cannot or will not provide you with written documentation of the following:

(a)    The percent of enrollees who go on to graduate.
Note: Documentation of this is a requirement by most legitimate bodies of accreditation for higher education. More importantly, a legitimate school with adequate screening should be able to graduate nearly all of its enrollees. One that does not graduate the majority of its enrollees may be more concerned with collecting tuition that actual training.

(b)   The average amount of time it takes to complete the program.
This shouldn't be highly variable. One that is leaves itself the option of collecting more and more fees.

(c)    The percent of graduates who are gainfully employed within 1 month, 3 months, and 6 months.
A good school would want to know this for themselves, otherwise they have no real tool to assess the effectiveness of their own efforts at job placement.

(d)   The curriculum vitae of each of its instructors.
Don't be dazzled by advanced degrees. PhD? from where AND IN WHAT? Laudable though it may be, an advanced degree in business does not automatically translate to capable instruction of medical transcription. Conversely years of experience as an MT does not guarantee one's ability to adequately teach it.

(e)    Typical office hours of its instructors whereby you can reach them by phone if desired.
Repeating rule 1 here, but if it you would not be okay attending a "bricks and mortar" school and never being allowed to speak directly with your instructor, don't attend one online.

(f)     The job placement assistance you can expect.
This is huge. Insist on specifics. Precisely how, to whom, and by whom will you be marketed. What formal agreements exist between the school and prospective employers? Does the school you are considering have one specific person who assists students with job placement? If so, how many hours a week will they be available to you, how (phone? email? bulletin board?), and for how long?

(g)   The course outline, a sample syllabus, and book list.

(h)   The business name, license number, and state in which the business is licensed.
This step is essential because these days anyone can have a website and claim to be a school. It goes without saying that once provided, you should then contact the Better Business Bureau and that state's regulatory body for schools for any information they might be able to provide.

Other important questions to ask

6        What is your method of instruction?
Do some exercises from a book? Webinars and/or lectures? Assigned reading and then a test? A good school will have a mix of all of these and more than ample opportunity for student/instructor interaction and feedback BEFORE testing. Be especially wary of any school that does not provide instructor feedback on practice work or only provides instructor feedback in the form of grading on assessments.

7        How many full-time/40-hour-a-week instructors do you have?

8        Approximately what percent of your former students have obtained professional credentials?

9        Can you give me an idea of the percent of graduates whose earning are at or exceed the most recent forecast posted by the Department of Labor's Bureau of Labor Statistics?
A legitimate school should be able to give you an idea.

10    How many hours of actual transcription does your curriculum include?
If using the SUM method, who reviews the practice dictations, the student or the instructor?

How many of those hours are by speakers for whom English is a second language?

11   How many hours and what type of technology (word processing, macros, and expanders) training do you offer?

RED FLAGS

Be VERY, VERY wary of:
Statements that are important-sounding but vague.

"We've been doing this for awhile now, and we know what employers want."
By what means has this been determined? Seek specifics. How and how often does this school survey prospective employers? Do they make this data available to prospective students? If not, why not?

Anonymous recommendations
"Former students/Employers tell us . . ."
Who are these people? Can you contact them directly? If not, why not?

A "trust us" mentality or "I'd-tell-you-but-then-I'd-have-to-kill-you" type response to any of your questions.
An online school for MT should not have more state secrets then the CIA, and if they do, you probably don't want to go there.

Any school that will not put any of the foregoing in writing.
Unless of course they are okay with you signing your tuition check with invisible ink or putting your tuition on your imaginary credit card.

Some questions to ask former students:

1.  Overall, are you happy with the education you received?

2.  Did you find the amount of education you received sufficient or did you need to do supplemental work to become employable?

3.  What do you consider the program's strongest points? Its weakest?

4.  How often were you able to speak directly with your instructors?

5.  If you encountered any problems at the school, how were they handled?

6.  Are you currently a working MT?

7.  How long did it take you to land a position?

8.  Did you receive any job hunting assistance from your school? If so, what and by whom?

9.  Approximately how many lines per hour (lph) were you able to consistently achieve after 1 month, 3 months, and 6 months on the job?

10.  Approximately what is current rate of reimbursement based on a 65 characters per line?

Good luck!

Similar Messages:

Career Step Medical Transcription
Jun 09, 2012

Where to start? I was the top MT at the Dept. of Veterans Affairs Regional in Waco, TX. I have also been a proofreader for a top notch advertising agency in California and my first job was as an MT. I type 90 wpm. That said, I have not been able to find a position as an MT because I didn't have 'credentials'. So I researched the web and decided to spend my hard-earned money on Career Step. I passed the 1st portion of the test with 97% which actually more of a grammatical testing ...

Career Change After 20 Years Of Medical Transcription
Dec 22, 2013

Anybody got any ideas for a career change for someone that has been doing medical transcription for 20 years? ...

I Want Your Opinion About Career Step Online Medical Transcription Course Or Any Other School Which
Jan 19, 2011

can anybody tell me about good online medical transcription school. ...

Medical Coding Education
Jan 16, 2014

I'm still in the process of researching various online schools, but if I were to sign up with a program within the next couple of weeks, is it feasible to think that I can get through the program and sit and take the CPC exam before the end of year?  I've been told that to make myself more marketable job-wise, that I should be certified in ICD-9 and then can go on and take the ICD-10 proficiency exam through AAPC early next year.  Any thoughts? ...

Advise About Where To Look For Educational Grants For Medical Coding Education
Mar 04, 2013

Dear Friends: My name is Suzie and I am a medical transcriptionist who wants to attend medical coding school, The Andrew's School, is the school I want to attend.  I would like to know if any of you have any suggestions about education grants that I can look into.  I would like some information.  Thank you in advance. Fondly, Suzie ...

What Impact Will The Electronic Medical Record Have On The Medical Coding Career
Mar 20, 2011

Dear medical coding students and medical coders: I am starting The Andrew's School of Medical Coding on April 1, 2011 and I have I am looking forward to it. I want to ask you your opinions. I was at the dog park with my pug Cruncher yesterday and I was telling my friends that I was looking forward to starting school and one my friends who is an oncologist at NIH was advising me that I should think twice about starting medical coding as a profession because the implementation of the electron ...

Career In Medical Coding?
Jul 22, 2011

I am considering training for medical coding but I don't want to spend the $$ if in a few years that industry goes the way of medical transcription with computers taking over our jobs and putting us out of work. I would welcome any and all information and opinions on this as well as recommendations for coding programs to enroll in. ...

Am I Too Old To Start A Career In Medical Coding
Jan 30, 2013

Dear Friends: I am 56 and I am a medical transcriptionists of 11 years and I am very interested in broadening my career and pursuing a career in medical coding.   I am interested in the Andrew's School.   I have two questions.  My first is what is the future of medical coding, i.e., will it be done offshore in the future like transcription and will it be replaced by the EMR.  The second question is am I tool old for training& ...

Familiar With The Transcription Program At Either Career Step
May 29, 2012

Is anyone familiar with the transcription program at either Career Step, MT at Home, or Medical Transcription A to Z?  Opinions would be appreciated. ...

Medical Transcription At Home To Become A Medical Scribe?
Jan 20, 2015

Has anybody left medical transcription at home to become a medical scribe?  I have an opportunity to do so but there aren't any scribes currently in my area and I don't know anyone who has worked as a scribe before.  The scribe position starting pay is almost double what I make as an MT per hour so it is very tempting, I just don't know much about it. ...

Can Anyone Tell Me Info On August Medical Transcription Or Transcription South
May 29, 2013

I have found a few things on these companies but was looking to find a little more in depth information from past or current employees. ...

Resolve To Make A Fresh Start For 2013! Map Your Career Path With Nuance Transcription Services
Jan 05, 2013

Resolve to make a fresh start for 2013! Map your career path with Nuance Transcription Services!  As if I any one in their right mind wants to work for a company with such high standards that they are unattainable to most.   This underpaying J.O.B. is really not blowing my skirt up anymore!   ...

Prn Military Transcription/prn Medical Transcription
Jun 25, 2014

Anyone hear from them yet?  Over 1100 views, that means a billion resumes. ...

Offshore Transcription Stories Wanted- Medical Malpractice Cases Related To Offshore Transcription M
Oct 15, 2009

A legal contact was inquiring about the connection of medical mistakes related to off-shored transcription mistakes.  I have told him to review these boards and hopefully he will benefit from the information here.  While he did not discuss the exact case, I think that he will be able to use the off-shore transcription issue to his client's benefit or at least highlight that the provider in question does not have as rigorous control on processing records as other pr ...

What Is HB Medical Transcription???
Mar 06, 2010

I've been in the medical transcription industry for 16 years and dont have any clue what HB medical transcription is. There is a job posted which has been filled, but I for the life of me cannot figure that out, unless it is hispanic/bilingual.  Can someone help me out!  ...

VLC Medical Transcription
Jul 24, 2010

Does anyone know if the Virtual Learning Center still exists?  I am not getting any responses to emails to them.  The website has changed since the last time I looked at it.  Also, I thought they were supposed to be the third best of the top three medical transcription companies to learn from.  If they are not, who is?  ...

JLG Medical Transcription
Sep 09, 2010

Any info on JLG pros/cons, pay would be greatly appreciated. ...

Medical Transcription.
Jan 21, 2011

I have a certificate through Stratford Career Institute and have had a hard time trying to get employment. I don't have any prior experience in the medical transcription field and am very interested in getting pointed in the right direction on what to do from here on how I can further a career in this field. If anyone can be of some help please let me know. ...

Non Medical Transcription
Feb 02, 2011

I am an independent contractor. Have always charged per line count. Have an opportunity to transcribe 30 minute audio interviews. Any thoughts on what or how to charge for this? Thanks! ...

Qed Medical Transcription
Apr 02, 2011

Has anyone ever tried taking the typing test for QED transcription? For some reason I am not getting into the testing site.  '( ...

U.S. Transcription Non Medical
Sep 01, 2011

I answered an ad for U.S. Transcription posted on MT Jobs, was asked to test, and within an hour of submitting my test I was offered a job.  After my heart came down from a happy dance at an actual job offer, I found I really have some things to think about before I say yes. This would be for 2nd shift, non-medical transcription at 0.06/cpl for straight transcription, 0.03/cpl if a company provided template is used.  I suppose I need to ask what my expected production would be before ...

Looking At Going Into Medical Transcription
Nov 14, 2011

I am looking into the Medical Transcription field but wanted to get info about the field from those that are in it before I take the plunge.  I'm not looking at earning a huge salary or medical benefits etc, just some extra to help the HH income. I'm looking at Career Step for my certificate. Any factual info or career experience would be appreciated. ...

Same Day Medical Transcription
Mar 24, 2012

Has anyone heard anything about this transcription company or done any work for them?  What was your experience?  Thanks. ...

New To Medical Transcription
Apr 20, 2012

I'm fairly new to medical transcription. I received my certification in 2010 and was a little discouraged when applying for jobs and they were all looking for experienced agents to work from home. I've recently decided to start back looking for work and decided to offer my services free of charge just to get the experience so I can apply in a year or two for actual paying work. Has anyone else done this or know how to get started? Or even know someone who needs a transcription intern? ...

USA Medical Transcription, Inc.
May 03, 2012

Watch out for this company .... They seem a bit strange. ...

USA Medical Transcription, Inc ??
May 12, 2012

Has anyone heard of USA Medical Transcription, Inc?? I can't find a website for them although when I do a reverse (fax) number look-up, it says it's in Palm Beach, FL. Info is appreciated! ...

Anyone Ever Do Non-medical Transcription And Like It?
Sep 25, 2012

Anyone ever do non-medical transcription? I'm interested to know if you liked it. I tried it for a few days and just decided it wasn't for me. A lot of it was phone conversations and was very hard to understand and I ended up leaving lots of blanks. The pay was bad too and I gave it up today. It was like torture to me to sit and listen to this voice file and one was almost 2 hours long that I did not finish before I quit. Appreciate anyone's input into this. I am feeling ba ...

Non-medical Transcription?
Dec 08, 2012

I'm a 2011 MT grad who posted not long ago looking for advice.  While googling MT companies to apply to, I found some non-medical transcription services, namely one that transcribes dialogue from a video for production/entertainment companies.  This site had instructions and a download to take the test.  What the heck, I'm going to take it and see what happens.  Since MT is practically a dead-end career, I've been trying to come up with ther ways to utilize my ...

For Those Of You Who Took Medical Transcription
Apr 18, 2013

I having been checking out various things lately with regards to where I would like to go job wise in the near future. I started out going to school for nursing and completed all the pre-reqs: Anatomy and Physiology I & II, biology, psychiatry, basic nutrition, algebra and English etc. Half-way through I hit a bump in the road and had to take a break from school and instead of sitting out a full year, I decided to do something less stressful, which is how I got into medical transcription. L ...

Getting Out Of Medical Transcription
Apr 29, 2013

I WANT out.  I have applied for numerous jobs, what I do, I just want to hit a time cloc just to have something to get out.  I don't carek.  I am so tired of being stressed and the happy days, when I have tons of work, just to be hit the next day with zero work, and stress on my off days that maybe I should log in and "catch up". I WANT out.  I have applied for numerous jobs, not even caring what I do, I just want to hit a time clock and KNOW what my schedule will be and KNOW how ...