A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

New MT thinking of career change... - cyn

Posted: Jan 29, 2012

I have been working at an OBGYN office for 10 months now and for reasons I'd rather not get into, I am having issues with my MT supervisor.

I love MT work. I do feel it is the right niche for me. However, my LPH is under 100 and I do not feel that I am getting enough work to improve my speed. I am still new and still learning.

I'm starting to wonder if I might be better off setting up a home office and trying to get on with a company like Medquist or something.

I am getting paid on the low end of MT's right now. I did not attend a school that does SUM. I was very lucky in getting this position, but because of an insurance change with the corporation I work for, we lost a huge amount of patients. The work is not what it once was.

If I moved to work at home, could I get work with my level of experience? Would I have enough work to keep me busy throughout the day? Would I make more than $10 an hour?

Any advice would be very helpful. Thanks all!

$10 an hour - I do

[ In Reply To ..]
$10 an hour is probably considered excellent these days. That is about what I make and I have been doing this 37 years. and now they are lowering our cpl because we are changing to VR and that will bring that $10 down much lower. If you need $10 an hour, this may not be the career for you. Lots of companies are running out of work again.

Maybe a brand new MT makes $10 an hour - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
If you make $10 and you've been an MT more than a year or two, you're in the wrong business. Find something you're good at. Not everyone is good at MT but everything thinks they are, 'have been' or could be, even if they can't type, spell, or haven't been trained adequately. Lots of people do very well, and $10/hr cannot be considered doing well unless you are a new MT.

Per hour - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
Good grief. I made 10 bucks an hour back in the early 70s. As of the end of last year, I was making $33/hour, down from $60/hour in the 90s.
$10 an hour - how do you do it then
[ In Reply To ..]
Okay, if you make more than $10 I would like to know how. 8 cpl and able to get in 1000 a day some days a little more in an 8 hour day. That comes out to $10 an hour. But with the amount of ESL and the amount of work there is not available, 1000 is quite good.

I am not going to work 15 hours a day to get more money, nor could I if I wanted to, I value my time too much. sure I used to have a job and was able to do 2000 lines on an average day with no problems, but that does not happen anymore.

I do have expanders and shortcuts too, and all that, so if you know how to make more on 8 cpl and 1000 lines on a good day with the way things are these days, PLEASE let me know.

I have no access to a hospital (as my small town of 2500) has gone to EPIC and there are no jobs and the next hospital within range from me is about 300 that may have work in their medical records department, otherwise the other hospitals along the way have let all their MTs go as they are EMR or Epic. And I work as an employee for a mid-size company, and had to change jobs 3 times in the last year just to get any kind of cpl that I can live on.

Believe me I know my stuff, so it's not that I can't type or spell or whatever. I would just like to know how you are making $30 an hour.
No mystery to how I do (did) it - Old Pro
[ In Reply To ..]
I am good, I am fast and accurate (99% accuracy on high ESL teaching account) and can produce 300-350 lph. Worked for a wonderful company with plentiful (if very difficult) work. Not hard at all to do with experience (40 years). Ten dollars an hour is not a good wage. If my earnings had ever gone below $25/hour, I would have quit. I realize how blessed I have been and I am grateful for that.
OldPro, you SHOULD count your blessings... - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Not all clients/MTSOs are the same. I have over 12 years of experience (multispecialty and acute care) and was averaging $10/hour with an MTSO.

Here's an example: I worked for MedQ briefly. I worked every weekend so I wouldn't run out of work, though I did run out of work because when the weekday MTs ran out of work, they made up their time on the weekends and took my work from me. When I brought this to MedQ's attention, they put me in the helper pool, which meant never the same dictator/client twice and long client specs to review before each and every single document. It's impossible to make $10 that way, no matter how good you are.

My accuracy is consistently 99%, and if I can get 2 regular clients, I can produce at least 250 lph (VR or ST).

With MedQ, VR on the random dictators I was getting was horrible (I could type the reports faster) and I was averaging about 1500 lines per 8-hour day, and at 4 cpl, that's minimum wage.

Of course, I can't forget the penalties for "errors" that were considered errors by one QA and not by another, though I would still get penalized. I would follow the BOS2, as I was instructed, I would follow the client specs, as instructed, I would follow the MTSO's specs, as instructed, and I would still get dinged for "errors" that weren't really errors. Sometimes, they were QA's errors, but I'd still get dinged. Oh, yes, I'd file a report, but nothing changed and the "error" was still attached to me.

And this was just MedQ. I've actually worked for 3 MTSOs, and they weren't much better, though I was able to average $10-11/hour at the other ones.

So you see, OldPro, it's just not possible for all MTs to make what you're making, or even close.

Please take this into consideration before you bash someone for not making $30+/hour.
I was not bashing - Old Pro
[ In Reply To ..]
I love it when people read something with which they do not agree and immediate throw out the "bashing" canard. I went through a horrific period of working for MQ. That was not working for me, so I searched, got another MTSO to work for, that was so-so, so finally I found the dream job. I do think that if people would spend as much time looking as they do whining (and hurling the "bashing" epithet at anyone who says anything they do not like), they might have better luck. You betcha it is a tough economy. I get that. Rather than bashing me, you might use the example I gave as hope that if I can do it, you and others can do. I have always loved that saying that the late, great Vera Pyle (a dear friend of mine, may she rest in peace) used to say: THE HARDER I WORK, THE LUCKIER I GET. My own favorite saying is: IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, CHANGE IT. It took me nearly three years of hell after MQ ate a wonderful company I was working for, to find a company that was a great fit. But they are out there, they really are, and I sincerely hope you find one. As for me, 10 bucks an hour is ridiculous. If I made only that, I would change careers. Not the fault of anyone to make low wages, but I think it is all in which you will settle for. Keep looking. There ARE great jobs out there, even today. I know because people I have mentored have found them. Good luck to you, and please do not be so hasty to condemn others who are only sharing an opinion that may be different than yours. Good luck!
Yes, there are still SOME good jobs out there. - Maggie May
[ In Reply To ..]
But considering how many of them are becoming crappy jobs, and how many people are looking for those good jobs, there just aren't enough to go around. With terrible dictators doing VR, jobs going offshore (and American schools like Career Step setting up offshore training programs to train them!) even if you're a top-notch MT, you're still LUCKY if you manage to get a good (let alone great) job nowadays. And the schools are still cranking out graduates, assuring them that "there will always be a need for MTs." True, the field isn't going away, it's only changing, but for many people who need money to support a family, the option to work as an MT is definitely going away.
Mentoring - HappyNCMT
[ In Reply To ..]
Old Pro - you mentioned that people you have mentored have found these great jobs. What would I have to do to be mentored by you?
HappyNCMT - Old Pro
[ In Reply To ..]
If we had met when I was still in the biz, I would gladly have done it. I left full-time MT at the end of 2011 and am now involved with other things not related to MT, so am not mentoring anymore. But I do wish you all the best!
I'm curious - Why are you AT MQ
[ In Reply To ..]
I just don't understand why MTs are willing to take the abuse from these companies. Do you not value yourself? I have 35+ years in the field and on one account I do, I make $60+ an hour. Unfortunately, he only does 1-3 hours a day. But on the other work I do -- VR I do about 500-600 lph @$0.074 avg per line. Straight typing at 9 cpl, I do 300-400 lph.

I would not even CONSIDER putting or KEEPING myself in the abusive positions some of you are working in. I suppose $80/day is better than nothing a day, but I'd be doing all I could to find a good MTSO to work for.

BTW- The company I work for has an ad on the other transcription jobs site. They don't hire often but they are great to work for.
Here's My Formula - Around The Block
[ In Reply To ..]
Here's a formula I would use in advising someone about MT.

Expect not to make much the first couple of years. Don't even think about even training for it if you aren't a good typist with a minimum of 45-50 wpm before you even start learning. There is too much to learn to have to worry about your typing speed along with everything else. If you can't spell, do some other kind of work. MT is not for you.

If you are not making more htan $10/hr when you reach your third year on the job doing full-time work, change to a different employer. Give it a try for about 6 months. If you still aren't making more than $10/hr, MT is just not working for you. Go into a different kind of work that doesn't require fast, accurate production typing with a knowledge of the medical record, etc.

$10 an hour - sbmt

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been an MT for 12 years and went from making $25/hour 3 years ago to $15/hour 2 years ago to about $11/hour now. I am very good at my job - this business in going down the tubes, period.

I would look elsewhere - mem

[ In Reply To ..]
$10 is okay but it should be closer to $15 or more an hour. It also is according to the state you live in and the cost of living. Every state pays according to their cost of living scale. What you would make in Alabama would be less than someone in New York or California because of the cost of living. I always tell someone that they need to work in an office or a hospital before thinking about working production from home so they can get more experience 1st. Good luck!

And I do need to say - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
That California wages are probably higher than elsewhere, except maybe NYC and Chicago.

mem - gltrgrammi

[ In Reply To ..]
Excellent advice!! $10 an hour is poverty, no matter where you live. I make between $25-30 an hour, live in California and it still isn't enough. Definitely would advise any newbie out there to work in an office setting first before working independently. Some companies will feed you to the wolves!!

New MT - gltrgrammi

[ In Reply To ..]
To answer your question, I would get out of this line of work, and don't look back. I work for MQ (now MModal), and have been an MT for 30 years. I work for MQ because the company that I worked for previously was bought out by them; I definitely would not have applied. The "team leader" I have is so rude, doesn't treat anybody with respect and just seems like a really unhappy person. Fortunately I am still doing the same accts I was doing before the buy-out, so I have not had to really deal with any MQ accts, so to speak. With any company you work for you will be required to do at minimum 125 lines per hour, with 98% accuracy, that's a given. That being said, there is no money in this line of work anymore. I used to make 55K a year, I now make 36K, if I'm lucky, and I work full-time, 8 hours a day to make that at 250+ lines an hour. No lunch. Not to be mean, just telling it like it is. Find another line of work that is a long-term, here-to-stay job. Go online and look up sustainable jobs for the future. Good luck to you ;-)

I agree! - mem

[ In Reply To ..]
If I were to do it all over again, I would not be doing this. I tell people now that MT will be gone in the next 10 years. I advise them to do something else.

Thanks for the input folks...I'm gonna stay put for a while... - cyn

[ In Reply To ..]
I do love the work a lot so I will be sticking with it for at least a little while.

I work for a corporation of hospitals and offices. Some MT's work at home, some at one of the old hospitals and some are scattered about the area in various medical offices.

Many of the offices and all of the hospitals have already gone live with EHR. The company I work for still needs the MT's and there is always work for them. It never seems to run out.

Our office is still working with actual medical records along with a few others. The deadline is May of this year, but it's already been pushed back more than once in just the short amount of time I've been an MT here.

The US government is pushing EHR and CMS money will not be available to those who do not go electronic. Doctors who use tapes, for example, will either have to adapt or get out of their profession.

I know one clinic that will either be closed down or the 3 doctors nearing retirement will be replaced if they refuse to go HER.

Call me a newbie and call me naive, but I don't think the MT field is dying as a lot of folks believe. I do, however, think that it is squeezed and shrinking due to a variety of factors. I do think the mindset of a lot of people believe that ours is a field that a caveman could do...in his sleep.

We've got a lot of cheap competition which drives down wages which is another factor working against us.

There will always be a need for dictation and transcriptionists. Our jobs will likely evolve to a more digital way of doing things and many will just get out as the wages continue to dip due to increased competition with VR and doctors learning to type faster rather than talk to their patients.

We will be a smaller field of MT�s, but not a dead one, IMO.

$36,000? $36,000? In my neck of the woods that isn't bad! - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I can't tell you how many people I know would jump at making $36,000. Of course most of them can't transcribe, or type, or spell. Jobs are hard to find these days though. I may advise some of them to start learning to type, and spell.

Oh, but... - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
Typing is the least of it.

Effort - chicky

[ In Reply To ..]
I spent $$$$ in training, 9 months and endless hours studying, time away from my kids, 4 months of looking for someone to hire me.... Finally got a job as an MTE @ 3 cpl....in my first week I have put in 53 hours of time and I will hopefully clear $100! Oh , not to mention ZERO training on their software.... Just about in tears for all the effort.

A couple of comments and a dose of reality---with kindness and hope - For Your Success

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm sorry. It sounds like you're having a very rough time. I can't imagine what you must be going through.

Nine months is really not enough to learn medical transcription well enough to get a good job. You may just have to take what you can get. You'll need to get experience on all of the things you didn't get in school, and you didn't get enough transcription experience in 9 months. Even if you worked at it 10 hours/day, it takes at least a year to absorb all of the terms, A&P, pathophysiology, pharmacology, plus experiencing all of the report types, acute care, clinical, SOAP, etc., PLUS getting experience transcribing all of the specialties.

You probably can use what you've learned though, maybe as a medical secretary. The other option is to just stay in the job you have and learn from it over the next few years, picking up a little speed as your skills get better. That, of course, is if the company you're working for has good feedback and lots of exposure to all of the specialties and report types, with someone who knows what they are doing looking over your shoulder to teach you what you should have learned in school.

That's the reality of it. The good thing is, you've probably learned plenty of things that you can use in non-MT jobs. You may not be able to work at home, but that's okay. Take one of those on-site jobs and be glad to get it. Times are tough and people would be thankful to have the skills that you've learned over those 9 months.

I wish you the very best!

Effort - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
Where did you train? That can make all of the difference in the world. Nine months is not all that long. Good luck to you!

Align your expectations ... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
You are frustrated because your expectations do not fit with the reality of the job. In the kind of jobs you had in the past, one walked in the first day and just got paid by the hour regardless of how slow they were, how much training they required, and how much they goofed off.

You are expecting that now, not realizing that the job you have is not like those other jobs. The 3 cents a line could net a little or a lot, but it is not a guarantee of any amount. How much you make will depend on what you bring to the table.

This job, more than many others, depends directly upon your skill. Right now you are equipped with the training, but you have little experience. Your skills are not enough to enable you to produce a lot. You have to consider this job as a training experience. If you made little in terms of money, you made a lot in terms of learning. That learning will pay off later.

One reason employers do not want to hire new graduates is that they know most will feel just as you do now ... upset, frustrated, discouraged, and in tears. They know your expectations are not aligned with the job they have to offer. They do not want to hire one person after the other only to have them angry and quitting after a week. It is easier to hire experienced MTs who know that the first weeks on a job involve a lot of investment in the future.

Employers do not expect to hand everything to you on a platter. They may have expected you to know enough about software in general that you would not need formal training on it. Ask them for help. Ask for a copy of the instructions. Click the help button if there is one. Figure it out.

You are VERY lucky to have gotten a job. Make the most of that opportunity.

Avoid feeling down about this. It will only make things worse. It will make things even more difficult. See this for what it is and feel good about your incremental PROGRESS.

So you made $100 in 53 hours? That is $1.89 per hour. If you track it hour by hour and day by day, you will see an improvement over time. You need to work toward improvement, too. It does not fall from the sky. Your personal efforts generate it.

This does not mean working frantically faster, either. It means learning what you need to know, developing your ears, and eliminating wasted activity like snacking and smoking while you work, like typing and erasing instead of listening and remembering and then typing it accurately once you are sure, and like making typos with a casual attitude thinkng that it is ok because it is so easy to correct them. It even means wasting time by not taking breaks because that leads to a steady decrease in mental acuity, accuracy, production.

My first day as an MT, I made about 25 cents per hour. Every day I did a little bit better, though.

Align - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for your insightful comments. You obviously "get it." You sound like someone who knows the terrain of our profession and who has a realistic view. Thank you for your breath of fresh--and realistic--air. Have a great weekend. (And may the Giants win!) :)-

Chicky - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
You do not say where you trained. That often has a lot to do with things. This is NOT a bash, just a question. That's all it is.

Chicky - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
But did you use SUM? Did you train with a reputable school? Those are the key questions.

Similar Messages:

Possible Career Change
Jun 25, 2011

I am considering taking classes for MT as I am ready for a change in my life. As I am looking into MT I have come across several questions that I want to ask to save myself the stress, etc. of preparing to start something that may not be what I am looking for. I see the different schools listed that others have recommended and yet I also see where my local community college offers course in MT. In your opinion would the courses there be suffice to work as a MT? For those working as MT, what do ...

Looking Into Career Change From MT
Jul 10, 2012

I've been doing medical transcription for 17 years now.  It used to be a good field to get into and good pay, but as the medical transcription field seems to be slowly phasing out and it's getting harder to make a decent living as we are getting lower wages and less work, I've been thinking about going back to school and getting a bachelor's in health informatation managment or administration.  I already have an assosciate's degree, but I would like to know wha ...

Looking For Career Change
Dec 16, 2012

I have been doing transcription for 30 years. I am fed up with it. I started working in a hospital and was making $17 an hr when they decided to lay us off. Then we went contract with the company the hospital was using at .10 cpl. Then, in October, we found out that Nuance had taken over. Now I am making .8 cpl. I want to make a career change. I have been sending out applications since August, probably close to 30 or more, with no interviews at all, no calls, nothing. I think all they see is all ...

Considering A Career Change...any Advice?
Dec 15, 2009

I've finally made myself accept the fact that medical transcription is never going to return to its former state and have been wondering in what other field I have an interest and could once again earn a decent living. Does anyone on the forum have any paralegal or legal secretary experience?  I've been researching this field online and have found a few on-line courses but, as with MT, I know I have to be really careful which course I choose and from whom.  If anyone h ...

MT As Career Change Choice
Sep 06, 2010

Hi,  I hope you don't mind a visitor from the outside I'm here because I need to change careers. I'm 59 , female, single, and have done one career all my life which has been clinical social work/mental health counseling.  I'm burned out with this career and alot has indicated that medical transcription might suit me.  Where do I begin? What training do I need? Do I need training at all? (this may sound dumb) What schools are the best? Online versus ...

Advice On Career Change
Aug 24, 2011

I've been a medical transcriptionst for 25 years (most of that time working at home)...I can't believe how much money I am losing....I used to think that I would never go back into an office/hospital to work because I wouldn't be making enough money.  Now, I am at my wits end.  My pay has literally been cut in half, no thanks to EMR/VR.  I am at a loss as to what to do...should I change careers (at age 49) or keep doing what I'm doing, while getting further and ...

Career Change Back To MT?
Sep 24, 2011

I was a medical transcriptionist for 9 years, working from home.  Two years ago, I left the field and took an opportunity elsewhere.  At the time, it was a better opportunity financially.  It turns out that this position is not what I thought it was going to be.  The money is nice, but the stress and the job itself are making me miserable!  When I quit transcribing 2 years ago, I was making about 0.9 cents/line and only working part-time.  My current position pays a ...

Career Change Advice
Jun 06, 2012

Hello!  I just found this board and am hoping for some advice.  I will give you some background information first.  I am a LPN, but have been a SAHM only for nearly 4 years.  I actually left the profession because of burn-out, and my husbands job allowed be to stay home.  I love being home, but I'm feeling a bit restless.  I'd like to start contributing a bit financially, without huge committments.  (I am VP of my kids' PTA and I keep plenty busy in many aspects). Last w ...

2 Jobs That Will Never Be Offshored...if You Want A Career Change
Jan 29, 2010

Makes sense to me; I'd opt to be an electrician (if I can't get on disability). Automotive technicians and mechanics repair and maintain automobiles and light trucks. Motorists need these services near their homes and businesses, meaning this hands-on work would be pretty hard for someone in another country to do. So rest easy. This job is staying close to home.  Training is a 6-month or 1-year automotive repair certificate program or a 2-year associate degree program.& ...

Career Change - RHIT, Coding And LPN?
Aug 02, 2011

I've been an MT for 10 years but for the past year I have been in school working towards an AA degree in Health Information Management.  I would like to be an RHIT and do coding somewhere.  However, I like it but not enough to want to do this for the rest as my life as I am only 34.  I love the medical field and want to stay in it but am thinking of switching my major.  I think maybe switching to LPN and then eventually become an RN.  I think that I might enjoy working with people more ...

Current MT Needing Career Change
Aug 09, 2011

I've decided I am getting out of MTing.  The two options I am interested are completely different yet in the medical field which I love.  First is health information management, 2-year degree.  Would like to be a coder but worried it will end up like MT in 10 years.  Second is becoming an LPN and then down the road an RN.  I am in my early 30s and I've got a long work life ahead of me but want to be happy!  Which way to go? ...

Online School & Career Change At 40
Feb 02, 2013

Currently hold Bachelor Degree in Business Administration. Worked as executive admin asst for past 15 years. Considering going to Andrews on line MT school. Is this a good investment and career change for me or should I look into something else? Like the ability to possibly work from home. Also, which school is best choice for finding work at home job (Andrews, Career Step, Mtec, etc..)??? ...

Career Change After 20 Years Of Medical Transcription
Dec 22, 2013

Anybody got any ideas for a career change for someone that has been doing medical transcription for 20 years? ...

Career Change To Massage Therapist Suggestion
Mar 06, 2014

My son is attending massage therapy training and will be done the end of June. He will be making more money than I will be once working. It only took a year. He is going for another year to earn an AA, but will start working and go to school at night. It's kind of expensive, but I think it would be a rewarding career. There is an extensive anatomy course that we MTs would breeze through, so I thought I would pass this suggestion on. I realize some of you are in remote areas and thi ...

Beware Any Of These Coaches For Career Or Life Change.
Mar 11, 2015

The last one on here wanted to charge $497 for a 3-month package of some junk book and phone coaching and followup coaching sessions.  I've got her email.  I'd hate to find out what her "expanded " package costs.  You can find all the same information on line yourself for free.  How much time have you already spent job searching on line?   Don't waste your money with these people and your time.  Use your time wisely yourself. You could also lik ...

Career Step - Problems Passing Career Step MT Testing
Mar 05, 2012

Anyone have problems passing Career Step MT testing.   ...

MT Career
Jul 21, 2010

Just doing a little survey here:  Do you think the medical transcriptionist is becoming more and more obsolete?  I have been in the field for a long time and have already lost a couple of jobs due to technology or work being contracted out.  It seems to be the one job I was always able to find as there was also a need, especially if you're experienced.  Nowadays, we're talking VR, editors, etc. etc. and the pay is not getting any better.  Personally, I have alw ...

My MT Career Is Done.
Jun 30, 2011

I am just a little fish in a big pond, very rarely posted here, but loved to read the posts!  I felt though I had to post tonight as I am very sad. For the last 15 years, I was an MT, but tonight was my last shift and typed my last report - a discharge summary. Same thing I started on all those years ago.  My account is going VR on July 1, and I was told my wage would go from 9 cents a line to 4 cents.  No matter how they crouch it in rah-rah terms (increased produc ...

Career Help
Jul 13, 2012

I am a 47-year-old woman with a BS degree in management who has always wanted to work in the medical field. I began a training program for transcription but have since learned that field isn't promising at this point. I am analytical and have worked in accounting-type positions for many years, and I think I would enjoy coding. From the perspective of someone with experience in the coding field, would you recommend coding as a career or would you suggest possibly RHIA? I would appreciate ...

Almost On To New Career! Bye MT (soon)
Oct 08, 2012

I am about 90% done with my preemployment process at a county position in a neighboring town.  It will not be too soon for me start as we got word today that we lost one of the biggest contracts they had and they wont be getting a new one until February. So let me tell you just how thankful I am that I am not going to have to deal with these issues of MT anymore.  I will be moving on to an employer where I am fully vested at 8 years!  I am 40, so essentially I could retire then! & ...

Considering MT Career... Should I Do It?
Oct 12, 2012

Hi everyone, this is my first post.  I am a military wife, so I'm hoping to start a career where I can work from home.  For now I would only want to work part-time since I have a young child at home, but it would be nice to have the option to work full-time someday.  I've been thinking about becoming a MT for a while now, but lately I've been discouraged because it looks like the job growth has slowed considerably in recent years.  I'm looking into the Car ...

New Career.
Apr 02, 2013

How many of you are pursuing a new career. I can't live on the money I make from MT, and I don't know if I can do this until I retire. I have been studying gemology, trying to get into estate jewelry. ...

New MT Looking For New Career!!! HELP!
Apr 08, 2013

Well, I wish I would have looked at this forum before going to MT school.  I tried working for two different MT companies.  First one I hated the platform/pay and the second one I really liked the account and platform but my work wasn't "clean enough" and they let me go after two weeks. I think I got canned because I questioned some QA redlines and was told I was wrong (no, no comma.  Yes, you put a comma.  That's hypenated.  No, not hypenated.)  I even ha ...

Career Map
Aug 03, 2013

Here is a link to a very cool career map on AHIMA website.  You click on one career in entry, mid, advanced or master level and it will connect you to all the paths you can go.  It also shows emerging areas. Just what we have all been talking about mapped out! http://www.hicareers.com/CareerMap/    ...

Second Career
Nov 06, 2013

I was just wondering if anyone had found another work-from-home career to go to after leaving the MT "world?" The way this industry is going, I'm just tired of it all and would like to find something else I can do from home and make good $$ at itI I have started on something of a new career but it will take some time to get up, get going and start making $$ at it.  I am designing cat "trees" or furniture that is more attractive and way more easy to clean than what is on the market out ...

Any Ideas Of Another Career In Which I Can...
Apr 15, 2010

put all of this wonderful medical terminology to good use?  Don't want to be a nurse.  I hate needles and blood.  I am a very empathetic and compassionate person.  I really don't want to deal with the public/customers. ...

U.S. Career Institute
May 09, 2010

Hmmmm...Interesting, was reading about Andrews School and M-Tech.  I looked them up online and they DO seem to be THE schools to go to.  Seems as though Career Step is in 3rd or so?  How would anyone place U.S. Career Institute?  I'm sure this another matchbox school, but do you think it's one that employers run from? Just curious, thanks if you can help.  And Happy Mother's Day to all those great mom's out there, hope you had a great day! :) ...

Anyone Know About Career Step?
May 12, 2010

wonder if anyone here, or if anyone knows of anyone who utilized Career Step for either their MT program or their coding program ...

What Happened To MT Career?
Jun 04, 2010

I am reading on this board and seeing that people from Medquist are being let go, places are being bought out, hospitals are selling in-house to the outside services now.  The services charge a decent amount of money to these hospitals, but we see pennies of it.  What is sad is that what we do is very important, yet we are treated like all we do is type words (and anyone who has done ESL docs know it isn't just words - it's format, it's incorrect pronunciation, inco ...

Alternative Career
Jun 15, 2010

Hello, All: While helping my son research possibilities for his career choice, we found out that ultrasonography only requires two years of education and the median pay is around $40K-$50K.  You don't have to be licensed and can take the job anywhere in the country.   Not bad, huh?  Wanted to pass that information along to any frustrated MTs who are considering getting out.  I woudln't mind doing that myself.  Dental hygienists make even more and also o ...