A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Any Advice on Line Count "Industry Standard" please - Kasey

Posted: May 13, 2011

I wondered if any one on this board can tell me the industry standard for lines per hour or lines per minute are? Mostly what I see on this forum is discussion over CPL or hourly rates without a line per day requirement. My employer recently stated our department was not producing enough and is suggesting 1900 lines per day which seems high as a 5-day-a-week requirement. Right now I'm doing right at 200 lines per hour/approx. 1400 lines per day with template and about 1100 without template. When I applied for a job at a local hospital about five years ago they only required 1100 lines per day. Again, I wondered if anyone can help me as far as telling me what they feel is the "norm" lines per day or how I would convert 1400 lines per day into a CPL figure so I know where I'm at currently and if I am being competitive with industry standards. She did mention maybe going to a CPL method at 65 CPL to calculate our production but I don't understand how a 65-CPL is converted from 1400 lines if that makes sense.  Love my job but need to understand if this is a fair jump. I know how to get number of characters but since not all lines have 65 CPL I don't understand that method of computation. Maybe knowing how many CPL employers require or how that is figured might help? Any advice that will help me understand this more, what norms are, free opinions or even suggestions on where I might research this more would be most helpful. She stated that lines per hour varied from around 150 to 300 by other employers but I don't see many 300 lines per hour out there. Thank you!

Line count - 1mt

[ In Reply To ..]
First of all, IMO full time lines would be anywhere from 1500-1800 lines a day. When I was hired 10+ yrs ago, the full-time line requirement was 1500. So figure anywhere from 190-225 lines per hour is about average for straight typing. If you type 1400 lines a day in an 8-hour shift (1400 divided by 8), that would be 175 lines an hour, which is a little low. Achieving 300 lines per hour is possible if you are using a lot of templates or normals. A 65-character line is industry standard, so you would just see how many characters you typed in your document(s) and divide it by 65, and that will give you how many lines you typed; multiply that by whatever rate (CPL) you are paid per line. If you are a full-time employee, 1400 lines per day is a little low. I work part-time and had over 1600 lines today; obviously I had a full-time day today. Does this make sense?

Thanks a bunch for all this info. - Kasey

[ In Reply To ..]
Boy...thanks for much to all of you for this very helpful input. I think I understand how to convert to CPL now. I just want to know what is fair both to me and to my employer as far as production. Thanks again!

You are spot on in expected production - hmmm

[ In Reply To ..]
Are you doing straigh transcription and no editing of voice recognition reports? If so, you are completely within the norm albeit a little on the low side. Although, you did not define how your line is counted (see below).

Suggesting a minimum of 1900 LPD for straight transcription is just ludicrous. If 1900 LPD is the standard, it would have to be for editing VR reports.

Most MTSOs want to see a full-time MT produce about 1200-1500 LPD on straight transcription accounts with 65 characters per line being industry standard.

I assume when you say she mentioned 65 CPL this means characters per line? By saying that, it would appear your line is something different. Maybe I could comment more if you could clear that up.

line count - HoosierMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I was thinking if 1900 LPD is standard, I am really slow! Locally 1000 LPD is standard for straight typing and when I can get that many lines I make good money since I lucked into a job that pays double the standard rate. Too bad most of my 40+ doctors are not doing straight dictaiton anymore!

To clarify - Kasey

[ In Reply To ..]
To answer the "spot on" question, I am currently expected to type 6800 lines per week which averages out to 200 lines per hour with 6 hours of nontyping time allowed per week or 0.75 minutes per day for research of terms, look up doctor's names, etc. This comes out to 1400 lines per hour but we use templates so if I subtract out the lines already on the template that leaves me at right around 1100 to 1200 lines per day approximately. Even though we have a line count requirement we are paid hourly so we don't use the 65-CPL or characters per line currently but my boss suggested that we might go to that to be more "accurate" on our production numbers not for pay purposes and that is where I got confused as far as how to figure that out. This is straight typing, no VR editing so at 1900 per day as her suggestion that comes out to about 1500 to 1600 lines per day if I subract out the templates. Thanks for responding to my post. Appreciate the input!

Short answer - there is no industry standard. Each MTSO - defines their own standard. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

hit nail on head in 11 words or less - Thank you!

[ In Reply To ..]

@Kasey - Hope this helps a little

[ In Reply To ..]

Not sure if this will help you, but here goes. 

There are multiple factors that need to be considered to determine how you would compare if you worked for a different company.  Ease of platform, quality of dictation, understandability of dictators, entry requirements aside from transcription (patient information, referring physician names and addresses, dates of service, etc), and use of expanders – just to name some.  Companies try to base their minimum lines per day or minimum lines per pay period requirement based on what their group of MTs is able to produce taking into account the above factors.  That could be anywhere from 800 lines per day full-time (because of a slow platform and difficult dictators) to 2000 lines per day (quick platform, easy dictators, lots of normals/templates).  There is really no “industry standard.” 

In your particular case, however, I think it would be more informative to compare what you are doing now to what may be expected of you in the future, personally.

You stated you currently average 1100 to 1400 lines per day.  Your employer wants to increase the minimum to 1900 lines per day (for an 8-hour work day, 65-characters per line, this would mean you would need to transcribe 237.5 lines per hour average).  That is a 36% to 73% increase, and would be an increase of 500 to 800 lines per day, or an extra 62.5 to 100 lines per hour.  I am assuming that all your lines are from straight transcription and none are from Speech Recognition Editing. 

I am not quite sure how you came up with an average of 200 lines per hour.  If you work an 8 hour day, your high of 1400 lines per day would be 175 lines per hour, and your low of 1100 lines per day would be 137.5 lines per hour.  Do you only work 7 hours or less?  If so, you will have to recalculate the above average lines per hour based on the number of lines transcribed per day divided by the number of hours you work per day.  Also, if you are currently basing your lines per day on gross lines or a line length of less than 65-characters per line, you will need to recalculate by taking your total character count for the day and dividing by a 65-character line in order to be able to compare yourself with these examples. 

At any rate, you should ask yourself, how difficult is it now to maintain your 1100 to 1400 lines per day?  Do you currently breeze through those lines?  Are you able to take a 5 or 10 minute break every hour and still get 1100 to 1400 lines per day?  Could you do 36-73% more lines per day with ease?  OR – Do you feel you are already pushing yourself as hard as you can just to get those 1100 to 1400 lines per day?  Are you totally exhausted by the end of the day and can’t wait to stop working?  Would trying to increase your lines per day by 36-73% be difficult for you to achieve? 

If you ask yourself those questions, you should have a pretty good grasp of what the changes will mean to you personally.

If you want a comparison to show your employer that maybe 1900 lines per day is not the “industry standard” given your particular set of circumstances (platform, dictators, etc), the information below might be something you could show them. 

There are a few companies who do offer an incentive once you surpass a certain number of lines per hour transcribed.  The figures below are old (this company has since changed their incentive tiers to include speech recognition editing), but that was the standard they used a year ago.  This particular company had 6 tiers.  Once an MT surpassed the minimum lines per hour to advance to the next tier, pay would be increased by a fraction of a cent per line.  So, the more lines per hour someone transcribed, the higher their cents per line pay would be. 

This particular company had a minimum of 1000 lines per 8-hour day (65-characters per line), which was 125 lines per hour.  To receive the first incentive, the MT would need to transcribe 138 lines per hour.  The next tier was at 162 lines per hour, and so on. 

100% Straight Transcription 
(65-character line, with spaces)
Full-time (8 hours per day)

Tier

Skill Level

Minimum Line Per Hour

Lines Per Day (8-Hour Day)

8 Cents Per Line – Per Hour Pay

10 Cents Per Line – Per Hour Pay

Minimum

$10.00

$12.50

Standard

Acceptable

Average

Above-Average

High Producer

Exceptional

If you do not understand something, feel free to Email me with your question, and I will try to clarify my information.  

Hope this was not too confusing and gives you a little bit of insight. 

Thanks for sharing this chart. sm - Pumpkins

[ In Reply To ..]
My company doesn't pay tiers bonuses, but having an understanding of the labeling for each production level makes it easier for me to set my own production goals.

@kasey..hope this helps a little. - Kasey

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for all this information. I think this will be very helpful to me because my boss said she would welcome input and factual stats are best. As far as your questions, the doctors in our clinic vary wildly. Some are quite easy because we can use autocorrects for much of what they type and with a template you can finish up a full day of their dictation in an hour. But, like with any office, we have other doctors who are very difficult, no autocorrects, mumbling or eating while they dictate, speed talkers, etc. so in my view, there are numerous variables to consider when asking all of us gals to increase to 1900 per day because 1900 lines of four very difficult doctors would result in definate hand and brain fatigue, i.e, higher chance of making errors while the same of our easiest doctors would be a breeze. Also our work assignments vary because my boss rotates out the various physicians so that no one gal has to do all easy or all tough or at least that is the "theory" we hope to see occur although this doesn't always occur and is part of my concern over moving to such a higher line count because it could feasibly result in 10+ hour days to accomplish 1900 lines. To me, to type for five years at a certain level of requirement and then suddenly be expected to increase that production by almost 1/3rd without any increase in compensation seems like a huge expectation but I'm not sure my boss has really thought this out. There are other considerations too such as the fact that our clinic types in 10 font and has margins that are smaller than is standard according to the other typists so our line count is reduced from what it would be with standard margins and 12 font, which I believe offsets the use of templates somewhat. To clarify, I get my 200 lines per hour by dividing total lines per day by hours worked and then nontyping time we are allowed which for me is 0.75 per day so at 1400 lines, it comes out to 200. I suppose if other typists are not allowed nontyping time and my time really is below 200 lines per hour then I am low. In any event, thanks for much for giving me such a detailed and thoughtful response. I hope to submit input to my boss on this change she is discussing prior to her making her final decision because as I stated, I love my job but would like to see management consider "all" the variables including what other employers are requiring before such a major change is implemented especially if they do so without any consideration of adjusting our pay. At this point I'm really not sure she has considered all aspects including font size, smaller margins, the percentage increase in line count as you pointed out, etc.

I hear there are people doing 200-600 lph - no name

[ In Reply To ..]
I struggle with 150 lph average. I didn't quite make it yesterday. I used to do 200 lph average on straight typing. Totally depends on your ASR and your account(s), but they would have to fire me if they demanded 1900 lpd on my account(s).

600 LPH? ROFL - YeahRight

[ In Reply To ..]
The highest LEGITIMATE rate I have ever heard is in the 350s on typing (and that is rad, which is highly repetitive). Someone I know claims to do 500 LPH on acute care (VR), and I happen to have worked on that same account, and there is NO WAY that is happening UNLESS they are churning out complete crap. Everyone else I know who worked it doesn't believe it either. So someone is exaggerating, tooting their own horn.

Quality - Kasey

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree with your post as far as turning out poor work quality even though you type fast. I think that a lot of people can churn out high numbers but at the end of the day, the work needs to be immaculate so quality is as important or possibly even more important than speed especially considering the legality of our work.

200 to 600...600? No kidding? - Kasey

[ In Reply To ..]
Wow. 600 lines per hour. Whomever is doing that has my complete respect. On a good day I can do over 300 no problem but again it really depends on the physician. When a doctor decides to eat their lunch while dictating, it slows me right down. :)

Line count industry standard - wswhiting

[ In Reply To ..]
Seems high to me. The last hospital job I had was 1200 minimum with bonuses for anything more than that. One MT was averaging 3000+. She was amazing and had her word expander down to a science.

Expanders - Fatigued Fingers

[ In Reply To ..]
Expanders are the key to high line counts. I'm up to nearly 6000 entries in my expander and find new ones to add all the time. Even if it only saves me 2 or 3 keystrokes, if I can think of an expander for it, in it goes. Those 2 or 3 keystrokes can add up at the end of the day.

Ws Whiting - Kasey

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for your response. Yes. The hospital job I applied for was around $20.00 per hour, full benefits, work off-site and the daily line count requirement was 1100 I believe so I can't help but believe that 1900 lines is high. Sadly our department has some very loyal, very hard working and highly skilled MTs and there are some who are already talking about finding work elsewhere if this goes into effect so hopefully management will think this through a little more before going forward.

Kasey, don't answer, but how many entries do you - have in your expander? How many do

[ In Reply To ..]
others in your department tend to have? IF, IF you guys had been paid by the hour, you'd probably have lacked the incentive to work at building your speed that production workers have had for a long time now.

The previous poster is very pleased with her increased speed with 6000 no doubt heavily-used entries. I bought my first expander a decade or so ago, so have several times that. We're normal these days, raising the bar as we push, push, push to increase our incomes.

Bottom lines are: MT + expander is now setting a whole new reasonable expectation for transcription production. MT + expander + editing is setting yet another new reasonable standard much higher still.

That 1900 sounds like editing or combo transcription/editing. If just transcribing, it does sound high. Your 200 lines per hour transcribing without templates would be considered competent most places, not among the faster MTs but quite decent. At an okay 9 cents a line for an established employee, that'd be $18/hour. Does your manager have a good understanding of what's possible with and without expander, do you think? Is any of it editing, though, and are they going to more editing, requiring a much higher new standard? Could any of you be easily replaced with faster people if it came to that, or would a standard you guys didn't meet require them to rethink?

Regardless of what happens there, though, anybody who doesn't have at least those 6000+ well-used entries and isn't adding more every single day almost certainly is not staying competitive.

It'd be great if you'd come back and let us all know how this works out. We all need to know what's happening "out there." Good luck.
never a matter of how many shortcuts created - its howmany - do you USE.
[ In Reply To ..]
you can have a million but might only be remembering 100.

so the question is - how many does she USE.
You're right. Good point when you can just - download whole dictionaries. NM
[ In Reply To ..]
x
That's what I was kind of thinking - Shirl
[ In Reply To ..]
I think I've forgotten more than I've created, especially for the ones that I rarely get to use. Some I forget because I had to come up with a different abbreviation than what I wanted because my first choice was already in use. Did I use a first initial of each word and an x? Did I use the first two letters of each word? First three letters of the first word then first of the remaining words? Some of the more complex abbreviations I've thought up end up taking longer to type out than doing several shorter groups of words.

One example of mine is "wehaldatio" for "we had a long discussion about the importance of." I actually use that one enough to remember it; it took a while for my fingers to develop a memory for the keystrokes, though. But others like"the patient comes in today with a complaint of" or something similar, I find it faster to type out several shortcuts that one big one "tpcit w/ a compt f." But that could just be because I'm getting older and my memory isn't as sharp as it once was. LOL

One of the most exasperating things for me is, you've got a doctor and all of his little oddities down, and then he decides to change it up a little.

Similar Messages:

BOS And Their Industry Standard?
Oct 21, 2009

Do all of your companies that you work for use the BOS as their industry standard? ...

Help Determining Industry Standard For Editing Platform
Apr 05, 2013

I supervise a group of transcriptionists who are offsite but work as hourly employees.  They work on a Nuance editing platform, but also do Radiology.  Currently they are required to do 15 min/hr and do 15 xrays/hr on an editing platform (PowerScribe) as well. The numbers are outdated and I want to up the amount of xrays they edit an hour, but am unsure what the industry standards are.  Does anyone know: 1.  What the industry standard is for how many x-rays you are required ...

Line Count - Is MTStars Flash Count And/or Abacus Equivocal
Feb 27, 2010

I usually use the line count built into the Word program itself.  Is MTStars flash count and/or abacus equivocal ??  Any one program better than the other ??  TIA ...

Does Count Score Mean Line Count In Fluency?
Sep 20, 2013

x ...

Is There A Difference Between A Sylvan 65 Character Line And Using The Line Count In Word - Sm
Jun 15, 2012

to divide by 65 to get the number of lines??? Thanks. ...

VR Line Count - What Kind Of Line Production Should I Shoot For
Mar 24, 2011

I was just hired on with a company to do strictly VR. I am only going to be working part time so about 4 hours a day. I am wondering from those who do VR what kind of line production should I shoot for in 4 hours of work? What is the normal VR line count for part time? I have read that most who are working full time or 8 hours a day are doing more than 1,000, even 2,000 a day. The company I will be working for wants a minimum of 10,000 lines in a payperiod which the lady said even with part time ...

Line Count Software - Anyone Have MP Count?
Apr 01, 2010

Anyone have MP Count?  I used it a few years ago, but my computer crashed so I no longer have it.  I'm not sure if this IC job is gonna work out so I'm not wanting to buy a program at this point. Any advice? Thanks. ...

Character Count/line Count
Feb 23, 2011

Is this correct? I type 70,000 characters a day. I am paid by the 65 character line so I would divide 70,000 by 65 to get 1076, then multiple that by pay per line, say $.10 and get $107. If this is not correct then what is the formula? And what is the average number of lines per day? Thanks so much for the info. ...

How To Not Count Template In Line Count
Jun 25, 2012

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what is the easiest way to not count template lines when trying to invoice? I get a line count through Word, but I hear that Word counts blank spaces as well.  I downloaded and use Flash Count, but it includes all 65 character lines, I beleive including the template headings.  I hope this makes sense.  Please help!! ...

IT And Line Counts Vs Other Line Count Programs
Oct 24, 2011

I would like opinions about the IT (Instant Text) line count program? Do you find it user friendly? Are there other programs preferred/easier? Any suggestions or opinions? TIA. ...

Help - How To Get Line Count
Jan 07, 2010

Just did a job with a big standard.  I have the line count, but do not know how to tell if I'm being credited with the lines in the standard.  How can I calculate this?  Thanks. ...

NEW LINE COUNT
May 24, 2011

Hi.  Can anyone decipher what the memo means about the new line count?  How will our pay change, wait...never mind...I am sure it will go down.  Anyway, what does this new stuff mean? ...

Low Line Count
Jul 20, 2012

Has anyone else working in the North Region noticed that their line count has gone down since CCM made it so that only one job loads at a time? ...

Line Count...
Sep 19, 2012

I have been working for this company for about 18 month and so far so good. It was even bought out by a bigger company and everything stayed the same with no problems. They don't bother me, I do my work and everything is fine. About 6 months ago my line count started going way down and I really just chalked it up to not being able to concentrate as much because my baby started walking and basically making it impossible for me to work. For the past week my line count has about doubled. ...

No Line Count
Nov 13, 2012

Over an hour into my shift, I went to check my line count, so that I can keep track hourly.. well it has ZERO... nothing has taken effect yet??? is this normal. ...

Need Line Count Help
May 04, 2013

I have been told that I need to increase my LPH.  So last night I kept track of the lines of each document done by using MS Word.  But later when I compared it to Nuance's line tracker (ichart) it only listed half the lines that MS Word listed.  How can this be?  I realized that Word my count blank lines, but how can there possibly be that much difference?  I felt like I really kicked butt last night, but then to look at LPH with Nuance's ichart I felt cheated/ ...

Line Count Rip Off
Aug 10, 2013

Does anyone feel like they doing more jobs for less lines? ...

To RAD MTs, What Is Your Line Count Vs...
Sep 10, 2013

So far, I have calculated the "count score" on Fluency at the new rate of 0.08/.048 vs per report rate.  I 'lost' on average $165-175 per pay period over the past 3 months by the line count.  My report rates are currently 1.20/.072.  Anyone else?  Please share.  Also, the 'count score' is our line count, right?? ...

Anyone With AP Getting Their Line Count?
Nov 14, 2013

Anyone else struggling to get their lines in at AP after loosing a hospital recently?  Maybe I'm signing on at the wrong time of day but usually there are hardly any jobs for at least an hour after I start the day.  Hope I'm not alone or I am doing something very wrong. ...

Line Count Discrepancies
Oct 13, 2009

"So if the company wants to consistently give me a slightly higher line count than I am able to document at my end, I should have a problem with this... why??" Wow.  Crankybeach.  You are old enough that you should not need to ask that question.  Here are a few of the more publicized examples of "why": Exhibit A:  Enron.  Lots of people played along and look at the end result.Exhibit B:  Madoff.  Lots of people played along and look at the end result.Exhibit ...

My Line Count Has Tanked
Oct 21, 2009

I used to do 250-275 lph fairly easily. Lately, I am typing as fast and furious as ever and struggle to get above 200 lph. Not sure what is going on, but I'm pretty sure it ain't me. Also, when did they change the dictating system over to 2 cans and a piece of string?  I CANNOT hear this CRAP.  Even the American guys are starting to sound wind-tunnelish ...

Receiving Only A % Of Line Count??
Dec 04, 2009

Is it typical to only receive a percentage of your edited lines because "editing is faster and better" than straight transcription?  I am new to VR, but this seems odd to me. No wonder I am being paid a decent rate.  LOL  So, when I edit a 50-line report, I only receive 60% of that report.  I'm just curious if this across the board with all companies?? ...

ASR Average Line Count
Jan 26, 2010

I'm just starting ASR and was wondering if some of you could give me an average line count on ASR.  Thanks.  ...

Need Some Help With Math Regarding Line Count
Mar 18, 2010

What in the heck does .05 for every 43 black characters equal out to. It doesn't sound good but I'm no math whiz. Maybe, I'm missing something and who pays like that. What happened to X-amount of cpl based on a 65-character line..or even a gross line. I suspect it's a sneaky way to screw you but I could be wrong. ...

Ok-has Anyone Else Noticed Their Line Count
Apr 25, 2010

I was checking my line count, went back and checked it later, and it was down!  Not the first time I have seen this.  Seriously, I am feeling like we are being set up to fail in a MAJOR way!  Issues with the line count, QA getting tougher, it is all adding up to on big set up-at least, that is the way it has been feeling to me lately.  It is hard to stay focused when you feel like your work may disappear at any moment, or get in trouble with QA because of horrendous dictation ...

Average Line Count Is Per Day?
Apr 28, 2010

Can anyone tell me what their average line count is per day? (just the total not separated between work type).  Im not trying to be nosey and I don't know who any of you are personally, I'm just trying to get an idea where I stand compared to everyone else here.  I have been at Medquist for many years and seen many changes.  Over the years, my line count has gone up and my pay has gone down.  I am trying to determine if the reason is mostly me or mostly medquist changes and if th ...

Line Count Messed Up
May 24, 2010

Why is 5/24/2010 showing up twice on my monthly totals and when I run detail on this it is showing less jobs?  Called tech support and they dont know.  I'm sure I'm going to get ripped off of lines.  I did take a picture of my computer screen showing this error so if my paycheck is wrong I have evidence.  Is this happening to anyone else? ...

Transcend Line Count
Jul 22, 2010

Has anyone noticed anything fishy about their line count? Mine do not seem to be adding up. ...

Line Count On Paycheck
Jan 03, 2011

I am new to MedQuist.  Can anyone tell me if you are supposed to see your line count on your paycheck stub?  I don't see mine and that seems odd to me. ...

VR Line Count - Is This Good? Please Help!
Jan 06, 2011

Below is a response when asked to clarify compensation from a prospective employer.   As an "old school" MT, I am unsure as to how to interpret this.  I've always been paid by th hour. I need to make a decision.  Thanks in advance - .09 to .o93 cpl per line for traditional typing and editing lines being 1.5 lines = 1 traditional line.  The range depends upon your quarterly quality score.  So many years experience should be way up there in quality, huge benefi ...