A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

American transcription work - REX

Posted: Apr 21, 2014

Would American transcriptionists be willing to work for a lower cpl rate if they were provided with steady work?

American Transcriptionist - mtinmi

[ In Reply To ..]
Only my opinion, but NO!!! I find it insulting that this question would even be asked. I read your other post. Bit of advice, pay a little more and get good transcriptionists to get quality work. They are a very dedicated group of workers and will give you their all if they are being compensated and not feel like they are being taken advantage of, which is what is happening now. It is real hard to read/hear about the millions the upper crest makes when you are working for not even minimal wage. I know it is about profit, but if you want quality work, you have to pay for it. I commend you for wanting to keep the jobs in America. Spend a week being a transcriptionist, understand this is not an easy job, we don't just listen to words. A good transcriptionist is worth every penny she/he is paid.

mtinmi - Nick

[ In Reply To ..]
Um, gentle correction: "every penny that HE or SHE is paid." Some of us guys, you know.

Nick - mtinmi

[ In Reply To ..]
Sorry, I corrected it.

Reply - REX

[ In Reply To ..]
I've been a transcriptionist and owned my own business for 30+ years. The reason I am posing this question is because I am finding it close to impossible to compete financially with offshore companies and have been trying to find the solution for at least the past 3 years. I would appreciate any suggestions as to a viable solution to this issue.

Reply - mtinmi

[ In Reply To ..]
If you have been a transcriptionist for 30+ years then you know how little the pay has become. Why would you ask if we would take less. As a business owner you don't want to take less to pay your transcriptionists more. You do have expenses I am sure but with the trend going hiring IC instead of employees costs are less. It is a hard situation for all; you as well as us. You want profit, we want to be able to make a living and the facilities want their work done for nothing but want the quality they were used to with in-house transcriptionists that cared, thus their specifications. Maybe it is time the facilities learn they are dreaming the impossible dream. Work does not get done for free, especially quality work.

The solution would be to pack up and get your - behind out of our country that U ruined.

[ In Reply To ..]
;lkj

REX - nana

[ In Reply To ..]
I feel for you, I really do, but where does this stop? So this contract you low ball to get the job, then when the contract is up you would have to go in even lower and we take another pay cut? Everyone wants close to %100 quality but don't want to pay for the quality. You can't have both anymore. If you pay me less I have to type faster to make any money which means I cannot guarantee quality.

The hospitals don't care about whether a coma is in the right place or if you used the right verb or noun or put a semi-colon where a coma shoud go. They don't really care about the whole transcription. They rely on the written orders in the chart to care for the patient.

Maybe you should just hire TYPISTS instead of transcriptionists. Then they will type exactly what they hear and will not know the difference if its right or not.

How much less can you go? The going rate for VR is 4 cents or less and straight typing is down to 7 cents or less.

So unless you are willing to work for free or next to nothing why would you ask us too. Just to work. I don't volunteer my services and that is what you are asking us to do. So the answer is no. When the world stops running on money then I will stop worrying about how much I make. Until then sorry.
I don't feel for him at all. He's nothing but a - PARASITE on America.
[ In Reply To ..]

Have a deal for you - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
In order to take less money then this is what I will agree to. If you have voice wreck then I will make 1 correction per line. Rest stays as is. Lets see how the hospitals and doctors like this nasty voice wreck then. I don't fill out demographic screen, no MR number, don't worry if name matches name doc gives. I don't do carbon copies then and I don't do any research. If doc says left here and right there I don't question it or fix it. If labs are wrong they stay.

In staight typing I type exactly what is said.

You can't buy a Ford Focus and expect Cadillac quality. Isn't that how it works? So you can't have my knowledge or 20+ years experience for less. As far as I am concerned I could care less if this work goes overseas cause I am not willing to do it for free and that is what you are asking.
one correction per line for VR - mter
[ In Reply To ..]
one correction per line for VR would be a hard choice for what to correct....I guess I chose correctly this morning when I decided to correct the referring physician's name from Dr. Chicken Head to the correct name...lol. VR is a mess! Oh, almost forgot the that patient had pancreatitis, but VR put patient diagnosed with having pretty powers. What!!?!! Many times I delete more than I transcribe.

my vote is for - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
just letting the VR go through as it is. If VR is so wonderful,let them have it as it is. If you want a quality report, throw that junk out and hire us to do it right the first time. Pay the good MTs a minimum of 10 cpl and/OR give fabulous benefits.

ABSOLUTELY NOT! (NM) - Rose

[ In Reply To ..]

suggestion - instead of

[ In Reply To ..]
competing on price, sell on quality. Point out the case against Precyse for killing a person because of overseas work. Show examples of poor quality and misunderstanding of American idioms by second language MTs. Point out patriotism of keeping it here.

I think the "middlemen" need to be entirely - eradicated to save the MT profession. nm

[ In Reply To ..]

MT is such a shady business, that at this point - I wouldnt even do it for $20/hour.

[ In Reply To ..]
I need WAY more money than that, even, to put up with all the BS these shysters dish out on a daily basis. I hope they all go into bankruptcy and FAIL.

errr???? - MTSucks

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm going to be patient here, since it's clear you have no idea what the real issue is despite having been told in no uncertain terms. The answer is no. It isn't lack of work for most of us. It doesn't pay enough. The only way we can afford to live is by working so much that we don't have a life. Do you understand now? The rates are too low, end of story. You can always take a cut in profit. You can try cutting the fat from the top rather than from the bottom up, but the answer is completely uniform. Raise the MT pay. We are not blue collar day laborers who stand on street corners waiting for the construction truck to come by. We are medical people in the medical field who have to know almost as much as a doctor. My goodness, 25 dislikes! That's the most I've seen, and that's from the ones who bothered to click the button.

Another ridiculous response... - REX

[ In Reply To ..]
You must be right - 35+ years of being a transcriptionist myself - consistent cuts in pay - 18 hour days - on top of running my own business for 15+ years and keeping MTs throughout the US in business during that time. Yup, you're an "MT" so you must be right - I just have no idea!!

The Only Ridiculous Thing Here - MTSucks

[ In Reply To ..]
The only ridiculous thing here is that you had the nerve to come on here and actually ask us to help you figure out a way for us to accept even lower pay. Yes, I am right, and yes, you have no idea. If you did, you wouldn't ask such naive and clearly insensitive questions. Look at the responses on this thread. You have very little support. Take the hint and go away. All you're doing is making people even more upset. Being in this or that or the other thing for x years does not make someone right. The minute you became an MTSO you became the enemy with whom we have to sleep until something better comes along. Mark my words. When something better comes along, the MTSO will have to sink or swim just like us.
to MT sucks - sorry for your bitterness - REX
[ In Reply To ..]
You are honestly uninformed and clearly bitter and for that, I feel sorry for you. Many people have lost their jobs and have had to take a reduction in pay in many different fields, other than transcription, due to offshore competition and other reasons, myself included. All I'm trying to do, as I've done for many years, is to bring work back to the US - thus my asking the question about where MTs stand salary-wise. Lumping MTSO's into one big group is not only delusional but dangerous and misleading - you could be stopping someone for applying for a job that may be a good fit for them. If everyone in the same industry (in my case, MTSO) could be lumped into one group, then I suppose you should be happy with a very low cpl - the same as someone who just graduated yesterday from Career Step. Everyone in the same industry must be exactly the same according to your "knowledge", right? So why should you make more than a newbie if you're both MTs? Aren't you both MTs? Aren't all MTs "created equal" like all of us MTSOs? And please don't tell me where I can and can't go to express my opinion - if you're so "patriotic" then you should know that we enjoy freedom of speech in this country.
REX... you are not understanding what - you are being told
[ In Reply To ..]
What is the difference between losing your job to offshoring and losing your wage to offshoring? In essence it is the same thing. We are losing our livelihood either way. Your question has received the response it has because you are asking us to take less money so you can make more. It doesn't do me any good to lose my shirt so you can keep yours.

Your noble deed means nothing if we are still pushed into the poorhouse.

NOPE. Only guaranteed hourly rate for me. - or nothing! nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

REX - Let's talk about your original post - Couple questions for you

[ In Reply To ..]
You have asked a very interesting question here, but not supplied enough information for a solid answer, so maybe. I have read some of your posts but probably not all. Have you said exactly what that lower cpl is? What are we talking about, 6.5 cpl, 7 cpl, 8 cpl, what? You say you do not use VR, so I guess than is not even an issue.

When I started in this business 25 years ago, I made 6.5 cpl. I was on one account, same doctors day in and day out and NEVER ran out of work. I turned that into $36,000 a year. I had my own expanders for each doctor. Now I make 9 cpl typing and 5 cpl VR and will probably only make $25,000 to $27,000 this year. This is due to poor management of accounts and MTs. So I would definitely consider taking you up on your offer if I knew exactly what it was.

IMO, how a company and its MTs are managed are more important than the cpl. More questions. For that lower cpl, do you provide benefits? PTO? Do you pay overtime? What is your accuracy requirement? I would want 1-3 accounts where I did not run out of work unless it was during the holidays or a hurricane! MTs have to have account familiarity to be profitable. Do you over-hire? Does your staff respect the MTs. Are they nasty and threatening? Do you change someone's shift out of the blue or else show them the door?

Yes, I would take a lower rate of pay if a company was managed properly because if they are, that makes the MT more profitable, and also makes the MTSO more profitable, and you need fewer MTs. Indeed, I understand some of the anger on here, but this is something that should be considered.

Try to answer some questions - REX

[ In Reply To ..]
Unfortunately, I do not have specifics yet which is why I'm trying to find out exactly where we are in the market. This is a new venture that I am going into with partners who already own the EMR software which I could not afford when I was on my own. My priority is keeping the work in the US if it can be done. I saw what outsourcing has done to me and so many others. What I can guarantee is that any business where I am the Operations Manager as with this new venture, will be treating my MTs, editors etc. with the respect that I sometimes did not get when I was working as an MT myself, and the way I treated my staff for more than 15 years - this is why I can't understand some of the responses to my posts without anyone knowing the situation and just grouping us all together as just one group of a--holes out to ruin this industry and apparently responsible for ruining the entire country!! This is in the beginning stages but I am very confident with the direction which we are heading. In a perfect world I could hire 100 MTs by next week, pay them what they deserve and everyone would be happy. I'm doing the best I can to get as close to that as possible and I hope that you will stay in touch with me by Email so that I can update you on our progress.

Thank you kindly for your response - see message

[ In Reply To ..]
I am glad you can see things from the MT's perspective. That is important. Please consider these things I have brought up. Good management is the key IF, and big IF, you are going to be successful. If you have that, you earn the respect you deserve from the MTs. They will go the extra mile for you when you need them.

Personally, I would love to take a pay cut for you. I am sure I could still make more $$ than I do with MM. The problem is, I need my M-F 7-3 shift, and I need benefits. That limits me greatly.

You have my e-mail. I do not have yours unless you responded via e-mail. Get in touch in the future please. The best of luck to you in what you are up against.
Thank you kindly back - REX
[ In Reply To ..]
Please verify that you received the Email that I sent you. Thanks!

Similar Messages:

American Precision Transcription, LLC
Jun 09, 2011

Anyone work or heard of this company American Precision Transcription, LLC (APT)? Thanks for any and all comments about them. ...

American Transcription Association
Aug 27, 2010

Do any of you belong to American Transcription Association?  I just happened to find their site today and it sounded very interesting.   ...

North American Transcription Company
Mar 23, 2011

Anyone heard of this company.  We got a flyer from them today at work and they say they only charge 6.5 c per line, all US-based, no outsourcing.  Looked up their website and they say they are one of the largest transcription companies in the US (never heard of them).  Would love to know how they can pay their apparently "highly skilled" transcriptionists when they only charge 6.5 c per line.  ...

Anyone Heard Of North American Transcription Company?
Aug 31, 2010

Anyone heard of this company.  They charge 6.5 cents per line and say that their work stays in the United States.  How is that possible? ...

I Cannot Believe Noone Has Heard Of North American Transcription Company!
Sep 02, 2010

I have posted 2 times aout this company with no replies.  Doesn't anyone know who this company is? ...

Looking For Current Information On ATSI (American Transcription Solutions) .. SM
Dec 27, 2010

After searching the archives all of the information there is old and I would really appreciate some up-to-date information.   TIA ...

Afro-American Versus African-American
Nov 17, 2012

Afro pertains to a "hair style" usually worn by black people or African-Americans. African-American refers to a group or nationality of people whose decendants originated in Africa. Has anyone ever been corrected on that when getting audited? Just curious. I see this a lot. P.S. Not trying to stir the pot or offend anyone so please, no racial slurs or offensive posts. This is a ligitmate question. How do you type it? or do you think it matters? ...

Buying American
Oct 19, 2009

Hey, Everybody: In the spirit of solidarity, if we want support for our cause, then we might want to consider supporting other industries in America.  There are places to "Buy American" on the website.  We shouldn't support Big Box Stores that import everything and make a killing as well as treat their employees like chattel.  You know who I am talking about.  If we buy into the theory, "Oh, but it's so inexpensive to go there," then we are just as bad as the tran ...

Native American
Mar 26, 2010

When doctor says:  "Patient is a native American" should native be capitalized?  (BOS says to capitalize tribe names, but that doesnt answer this question.)  Thanks very much. ...

Will This Help Struggling American MTs?
Apr 23, 2013

I saw this article on a new law being passed about outsourcing jobs http://finance.yahoo.com/news/us-immigration-bill-could-slow-indian-outsourcers-092353134--finance.html     ...

American MTSOs?
Jul 23, 2014

Okay, so are there ANY companies that are actually owned by Americans who live in America?  Everyone says they are only hiring from within the U.S., but that doesn't mean the owners are American.  Someone here said one company (Diskriter?) was purchased by "an Indian couple." Why wasn't it purchased by an American couple? Why aren't Americans buying MTSOs? What's up with that? ...

Where Are All The American Doctors?
Sep 06, 2014

This past week it seems all I have got to transcribe are foreign docs.  Some are not too bad, but some it is just plain torture to listen to.  What is going on?  Also this is the first time I have not been able to pay my bills with my paycheck.  It is so depressing.  Just had to vent.   ...

The Great American EHR Boondoggle
Dec 01, 2009

Just in case anyone thought that point and click EMR is working, read this article.   http://www.modernhealthcare.com/article/20090818/REG/308189963 ...

Are There Any American MT Companies(no Outsourcing), Is So, Who Are They?
Sep 29, 2010

Is there a list of American MT Companies who do not outsource? ...

American Transcripton Association
Apr 30, 2011

Is anyone on this board a member of this medical transcription organization?  If so, has it been beneficial to you?  I am asking because I am considering joining because I like what they say on their website.  So, I am just wondering if it is worth the money to join.  Any and all responses appreciated.  Thank you in advance. ...

American Workers Have Changed--And Not For The Better
Nov 08, 2011

I've talked with several MTs recently who work for different companies. The companies have to send out reminders to the MTs that they are supposed to be at work at specific times. They also are having trouble with MTs just taking off without arranging for coverage of their accounts. The list goes on and on. What bothers me most though is the attitude of workers. Work was not easy years ago, but people did it with courage and integrity. You don't see much of that anymore.   &nbs ...

Does Anyone Know If You Can Work For An American MT Company From
Feb 18, 2012

another country, specifically, Costa Rica.  My daughter started out volunteering down there and loved it so much she moved there permanently.  She is my only child, and since I really have no family here anymore and she wants me to, I'm considering moving down there.  Of course, I'd have to be able to keep my MT job.  I'm not exactly a spring chicken and apparently in order to move there you need to either have a pension/social security and/or an income (appare ...

American Health Connection?
Feb 08, 2013

Does anyone have experience with them or did anyone find any info. on them?  I couldn't find much of anything.  Thanks. ...

American Health Connection
Apr 05, 2013

Is it just me or does the new American Health Connection ad look like others we have seen from another company...maybe Phonix MedComm? ...

Anyone Know About American Health Connections?
May 04, 2013

I saw a couple of ads on MT Jobs from this company.  Sounds interesting for a change of pace.  Any info on them? ...

If American MTs Get QCd To Death, How In The World
Aug 03, 2013

are MTs from India doing well? I was born and raised in the U.S., I was an English/writing major, and I'm QCd into the ground, which makes me wonder - how the heck are people from India and other countries doing as MTs? Can they REALLY do better than those of us who grew up speaking the language, have spent years doing MT, especially since some of us are English experts (and probably ALL of us are English experts compared to those in India)?! What is going on here, seriously? ...

MM - Corporate/American Greed
Oct 17, 2013

All that matters to companies nowadays is how much money they can make for their stockholders and for their yearly bonuses.  They dont care about the American worker anymore.  In India, when they want to fire you, they have to take into account the family you are taking care of, will you be able to get another job.  America?  They will throw you out on the street without a notice and not give a darn. In my town, the main hospital wants to let Chinese women come over to Ameri ...

American Health Connections And Others
Apr 18, 2014

It never ceases to amaze me, in an absurd kind of way, how companies can place job ads for positions and ask for bilingual/foreign language to be a major qualification here in the US of A!!  This is an English-speaking country, and I resent the fact that these companies can make these requirements on us who are US citizens and English is our first language!  They want our expertise in work ethics, but we need to learn their language in order to apply for a job with them; how ...

US Companies Who Hire American MTs Outside Of Country
Nov 17, 2009

Does anyone know of stateside MTSOs who hire MTs outside of the country.  After 30 plus years will be retiring outside of USA and would like to continue to work. ...

American Owned MT Companys?? Any Left??
Oct 27, 2011

Does anyone have a list of American owned MT companys??...or have all of them gone to connections with India.  I would like to work for an American Owned Company---any suggestions??? ...

Do Any American Doctors Work At VA Facilities?
Dec 21, 2011

Working on a VA account as backup and have had nothing but ESL.  Glad to know our veterans are being taken care of by foreigners. ...

Which American Companies Offshore Work?
Jan 25, 2012

I'm writing a report for school (switching fields after 20+ yrs as an MT) and need some help please.  I need input about which U.S. transcription companies outsource work to India, Philippines, etc.  All help is appreciated.  Thanks in advance.  ...

Any Info On American Health Connection, Not Much In The
Mar 29, 2013

. ...

American Health Connection Review
Apr 03, 2013

American Health Connection has posted for staff/agent jobs on MTDaily and MT Stars.  They are very pleasant people with whom to work for sure.  The trend these days is to outsource hospital patient registration and companies such as this are taking off big time.  Having started training with them, I have had nothing but trouble...at first I was told my bandwidth was fine, only to learn that I needed 40-50 download speed and at least 10 upload speed.  Had to switch to a new provider, however, ...

The Offshore Outsourcing Of American Jobs
Jun 07, 2013

The article below was written by Dr. Paul Craig Roberts who was Assistant Secretary of the Treasury in the Reagan Administration. Title--"The Offshore Outsourcing of American Jobs: A Greater Threat Than Terrorism" http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-offshore-outsourcing-of-american-jobs-a-greater-threat-than-terrorism/18725 You can copy and paste the above link to your address window to read the article. Apparently, what has happened to the MT profession is only the tip of the iceberg. ...