A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

The future of coding? - Val

Posted: Mar 31, 2015

So I am currently an MT with 10+ years under my belt. I decided to go to school for coding and switch careers while I still had the chance. I am currently saving up for school, and my tax refund is going to put me over the top so I can start next month. But now I am reading (on this board) about the possibility that coding is going to start going the way of transcription (i.e., automation, computerized coding, etc.) and that coding jobs are going to start losing value just as MT jobs have lost their value.

I really need some advice here: Do y'all think it's still worth it for me to start school for coding, or will it be a fruitless effort if automated coding is going to start eating up all the jobs? Would I just be better off just looking to get out of healthcare altogether and start in a new industry while I'm still relatively young?

Yes, I know the variables are endless... but I'm just looking for opinions here.

Do your research. I'm currently in a coding course - coder student sm

[ In Reply To ..]
and I have high hopes when I'm finished. I've read a lot of positive things that led me to make my decision to go for it.

No guarantees in life, but medical coding has more potential than most - In My Opinion

[ In Reply To ..]
I would say that you should go for it! There are not very many careers that are guaranteed. I think medical coding is going to be around for a very long time. I also think we will hear all kinds of scare stories. Some of these will be because there will always be companies that only look for cheap labor; others from people who are afraid of everything. As those people cringe in fear, others are enjoying the best careers of their lives and wishing they hadn't waited so long. Your choice which of those you want to be, in my opinion. I hope you make a good decision, whatever that decision is. Wishing you the best.

I think coders will be in huge demand - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
When ICD-10 finally rolls out, I believe there won't be enough coders to fill the jobs. This is just my opinion.

I am already seeing that happen - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm sure it will increase as the date gets closer, but I'm already seeing employers getting anxious about not being able to find enough credentialed ICD-10 medical coders.

Coding is not just one job. - Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
Coding is not just one job -- there are many jobs that require coding skills yet are not strictly coding and even more that build on it. Even if coding disappear tomorrow, those jobs would still be around.

That claim that coding will be just like MT comes up here monthly. It always seems to be the same non-coder people who make the claim too. Like they would know.

Please see the link below to the AHIMA Career website, which will show you all the jobs in and around coding. Those are the jobs you can move into from coding.

MT now coder here - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I was so discouraged with what was happening to MT that I HAD to make a change. I was older when I started, so I had a lot of reasons to not try, but I was determined to get out of MT. I heard the same rumors, and as someone else mentioned there are no "sure things" anymore. I have had a coding job for close to a year now, and I am SO glad I persevered. It is night and day from MT. Our office has 2 openings right now for coders, as they are preparing for ICD-10. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Congratulations on Your New Medical Coding Career! - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Your accomplishments set a good example for others to follow. Well done!

I am another MT - to coder

[ In Reply To ..]
I also transitioned to coding a little over a year ago from transcription. It has been a journey, it has not always been easy, but overall I am glad I got out of transcription and into coding. There are also many directions to go from just doing the actual coding work.

Anything that can be done at home can be - off shored.

[ In Reply To ..]
Get yourself a CDL. I'd like to see them send trucking to India!!!

I choose not to be crippled by fear. - Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
No message.

I choose to retire. - Lucky me.

[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Good for you, but the rest of us need to work. - Interested in realistic options.
[ In Reply To ..]
NM

there is a difference between being scared and making a smart - career decision.

[ In Reply To ..]
No one here is "cripped by fear" they are making informed decisions and moving on with their lives.
Sorry, but I disagree - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Sorry, but saying that anything that can be done at home will be offshored is not "making an informed decision."

That is all-or-none thinking. You can't know that. Period. You can believe it, but you can't know it.

It is a very popular view here for understandable reasons, but you cannot generalize your unfortunate experience in MT to everything else. That applies especially to jobs you know nothing about.

I don't fear offshoring because my job flat out can't be offshored. Period.
I think we all (MTs) got comfortable, got hurt, and assume - every situation is the same
[ In Reply To ..]
Many of us have been MTs for years. We loved it and got very comfortable with it. The employers got even cozier with our professional organization, which made things go downhill fast, in my opinion. That's when some MTs decided that it was like this for every career. It's true that no career is perfect or guaranteed to always stay the same, but some just have a negative attitude and have become totally paranoid. I am not one of those people.

The fact that everyone promoted MT as something you can do in your 'jammies' also didn't help. It wasn't exactly a professional picture and did us a lot of harm.

Coding has many more options and is not a one-size-fits all occupation. It also pays way better than MT ever did, even at its best.
No doubt, but maybe they should stop focusing on it. - Get a better attitude, ya know?
[ In Reply To ..]
NM
Coding is an informed career decision - Thoughts on that
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not working as a coder but do work in HIM. To me, coding certainly makes more sense than working at Whole Foods, Kroger's, McDonald's, cleaning houses or collecting garbage, which are some of the suggestions being made for people trying to get out of transcription. I don't see much future in jobs like that at all.
Nothing wrong with those but more money in coding - From What I Have Seen
[ In Reply To ..]
There's nothing wrong with any of those job options, but I really like the greater monetary potential with medical coding. I'm okay with other people making a different decision if they want.

The future looks pretty bright where I work, although.... - nothing is for sure in this life. please sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I worried about this, too, but finally decided to take the plunge and go back to school. I'm so glad I did. While I know that coding can (and will) change in the future, I do believe that coders (real human ones) will be needed for quite some time, if not forever. Where I work, there is no way a computer could code from the documentation I see. There are just too many variables.

Just my opinion, for what it's worth. Good luck to you!

Coding isnt going anywhere but finding a job as an inexperienced - coder is the problem

[ In Reply To ..]
I know 3 people who finished courses and couldn't find jobs because they had no experience. I was offered coding training by my company and took it because of the apprenticeship and guaranteed job but I would never pursue it on my own. Good luck.

On the other hand I know MT2coders with several coding - job offers

[ In Reply To ..]
If you take a very minimal course, you probably won't find work. I know people who did that. Now they think everyone is in the same boat; they aren't. Several MT2coders that I know got more than one job offer, but they got very solid coding training too. They really know how to code too because they've passed CPC and CCS as well as employer exams, and got jobs. When you talk to them, they can talk knowledgeably about the code book and its structure. It's obvious that they are coding professionals, CREDENTIALED coding professionals, with jobs---in fact, several job offers to choose from.

Every working coder I know got a job without experience. - Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
That is unfortunate about those 3 people, but you cannot generalize their experience to all coders. It is NOT TRUE that it is impossible or even hard to find a coding job without experience.

It is actually EASIER to find a job in coding than it is in most other occupations, but you need to have the right credentials.

The fact of the matter is that employers don't want to have to train you. Unless you have the credentials they need, they have to train you.

For a long time, the CPC had a 25% unemployment rate. It is now down to about 10%. If all you will do is a 4 month AAPC course, that covers only outpatient (i.e., only one-third of) coding and no AP, no pathophysiology, no pharmacology, no reimbursement, and no advanced coding, then you take your chances getting a job.

Invest in the 12 months that it takes to learn the other two-thirds plus the basic sciences and coding at the advanced level, and you can pass the credentials exams that tell employers you are job-ready and do not require training. That gives you a better shot at a job. At better jobs at higher pay, too.

I don't know what course your three friends took, but it sounds like a local adult ed or AAPC course. Whatever, I am tired of hearing their experience held up to others as a warning against an entire career field.

Every coder working today at some point got a job when they had no experience. I did. All the rest of us here did. I would be interested to hear your explanation for how we managed it.

I couldn't agree with you more. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
You said just exactly what I've been thinking as I read all those messages about how nobody will ever get a job as a new coder, nobody ever could, ever will. None of that is true. You just need a better coding education and some self-confidence that comes from knowing you had a great coding education that prepared you for the employment and certification tests. It's all about getting that education, not just taking a basic course and thinking that's what it's all about. It never was and never will be, but there are those who will always believe that a brief basic education is sufficient.
If money is a serious issue, save for it - My Advice
[ In Reply To ..]
If money is an issue, don't just jump at the cheapest thing you can find. Save your money and get that solid education that results in credentials and jobs. Nothing else makes sense. You are doing nothing but wasting money, time, and effort by taking what looks like the easy path. We all know from watching other people do it. It doesn't work. Experts tell us this all the time, and everybody thinking about a medical coding career should listen. Get the solid education from the beginning and get on with it. If you had started saving 2 years ago, you'd be halfway there by now.

Similar Messages:

The Future Of Coding
Aug 13, 2011

I am currently taking a program taught by a coder in my city.  It is very in depth and I will be able to sit for the CPC when I finish, but I am worried about the future of coding.  I read an article (I can't remember where but was in a health journal of some kind) that in 5 years coding will be mostly computer-assisted, documentation for coding will be 3/4 electronic, and coding staffing levels will be starting to decrease due to technology.  Who agrees with this?  Am I ...

Coding Future
Jul 11, 2013

I am thinking about going back to school to get into another profession.  Coding is popular with MTs.  I am really afraid that coding will be going down the same road transcription has.  I am hearing things now with coding as I heard less than 10 years ago with transcription, i.e. off shoring, technology etc.  Does anyone have any helpful info about the coding field and what the future outlook is?  I have gone to websites to try to find this info and nothing seems helpfu ...

RHIT And Medical Coding Future
Oct 09, 2011

Does anyone have good input on whether medical scribes are the new medical transcriptionists only being filled my medical students, medical assistants or a part-time or piecemeal clerk at a lower rate (hourly or by piece) than medical transcriptionists -- if lower pay is even possible? Also, what are any inputs on RHIT and the medical coding future? I already have a bachelor's degree but thought about another associate degree in RHIT in a CAHIIM accredited program. From your viewpoint, wou ...

Future In Medical Coding / Billing
Feb 08, 2012

I have a question about coding and billing.  For three years in the '90s, I coded and transcribed for a small, rural, hospital.  I was responsible for outpatient, ER, inpatient, surgical etc. coding and transcription.  It was mostly ICD-9, and HCPC coding.  If I want to code from home in the future, what would you suggest I do, an online program?  Do you think coding from home would be an opportunity or do most hospitals/clinics/physicians require experience at a facility first, and wo ...

The Future Of Coding The Cover Story Of For The Record Mag
Jan 28, 2012

Timely! Computer-aided coding and its impact upon the coding job market is the feature story of the just-released For The Record magazine. Some excerpts: "...From what I've heard from those hospitals for years now is that it's not that they need fewer coders."  Instead, Bronnert sees coders being used more effectively and at a higher skill level.  "They become even more valuable to a facility.  I don't see their roles or positions diminishing at all.  I see ...

Future Coding Student...question About College
Jul 12, 2013

Ok, so I thought I had made up my mind on attending Andrews, but there is a certificate course offered by a local college.  This is not a community college but Kent State University.  Now I am wondering, should I try to go through their course to earn actual college credits that will be transferrable to a degree someday or go through Andrews where I know for sure they will prepare me for the coding certifications??  HELP!!! ...

The Future Of MT
Nov 25, 2009

Many have said that MT is not what it once was. Here's a topic: What is/could be the future of medical transcirption?   Diane   ...

MT's Future?
Feb 20, 2010

I was told not to enter the medical transcription field because it was not going to exist in about five or six years. Is this true? I really want a job that is professional and allows me to work at home as well. Thanks ...

The Future Of MT.
Sep 26, 2012

Wondering what thoughts are on this article.  I believe MT is changing but is not a dying profession.  ...

Future Of MTs
Jun 06, 2013

Iâve been doing more research into the future of the MT field and I find that it is morphing into something I do not want to be a part of. Are EMR/EHR really cutting down transcription costs/jobs? If you goggle this you will find a huge disparity of opinion from âgoal being to have no transcriptionists whatsoeverâ at one extreme to âall this new fangled stuff is just some new toys for the kids to play withâ being at the other. Some are on the fence and some are crying itâs a ...

The Future Of MTs - Is There One?
Jan 18, 2014

I am a former MT who is going to school for Health Informatics.  I worked as a transcriptionist for over 20 years.  Two and a half years ago our team was told the organization we worked for was going to voice recognition and our jobs were being phased out which is when I chose to go back to school.  I am writing my final paper on “The Future of Medical Transcription – Is There One?”   I would like to get information from other transcriptionists on this ...

The Future
Mar 19, 2014

Hello to everyone on MTStars. I've been reading all these posts for weeks.  My hospital announced in Jan. that we would get laid off in July b/c they had decided to go with M*Modal.  After everything I have read here you could not beat me with a stick to apply for M*Modal; even though that is what they wanted us to do.  I've come to terms with it.  I am at peace.  I have been transcribing for 16 years, and have made EXCELLENT money, $25-30/hour. If this is the ...

Future Net - Anybody Still There?
May 08, 2014

Anybody still there?  After months of shoving MModal down our throats they just sent an email out on how to fix the spellchecker in the program!  Do you think that should have been done before forcing this on MTs?  Looks like there is no turning back, they are just forcing the issue and you can either make less than minimum wage, WAY less, or take a hike as many of us have been told.  A ton of work in regular SR every day because looks like everyone is in fact leaving but at the same time, m ...

Is This The Future?
May 20, 2014

I am beginning to think that the future with VR and point-and-click plus offshoring means that the work that is remaining will be just a little bit from a bunch of different accounts, meaning we have to navigate through a bunch of different account specs for those MTs left.  My old account went completely offshore, the new account I was transferred to went completely over to Epic and my new assignment has me with 3 accounts and the work is dried up so I will have to ask for more.  The ...

Future
Nov 02, 2014

Recently, I  saw several posts about TSMs being let go, about other things that are changing in the different regions.   Will that be happening across the board I wonder?  Are these changes in place right now?   Thank you for your input. ...

Future Of MT
Mar 25, 2015

Well, just saw a report on my local news that one of the hospitals in my area is trying out the Dragon Medical voice/rec system, where they are doing it directly at the hospital right into the medical record.  Allegedly it is just a pilot program, but it showed the doctor looking at a computer screen and dictating into the machine, and the text would appear directly on the computer.  Then he can read what he said and put it directly into the chart.  Then any doctor in the hospital ...

Hired For Coding/billing/transcription, But Told No Coding
Aug 13, 2013

Accepted a job, gave 2 weeks notice, and yesterday was my first day.  I was to be helping out transcription (1000 jobs behind), and then sitting with billing and training with coding as their coder will be out on maternity leave in December.  The office is adding another surgeon, and they are rapidly expanding.  So I gave a proper 2 weeks' notice to my former employer (2 hours on the road there and back, low salary - now less than half distance and $3 more an hour) and starte ...

Is There Really A Future For MT Work?
Feb 03, 2010

I don't mean to start a downer post here, but I sincerely want to know if there is a future for MT work. I see posts by a few who have succeeded, at least somewhat, in the MT world.  However, these are very few.  Then there are those who were happy just to find a job, but a few months later, were let go because of no work.  There are some whom I know to be conscientious workers who were fired out of the blue.  Could this just be the company losing accounts and placing t ...

Future Job Outlook
Feb 09, 2010

I'm currently an MT, wanting to change careers.  In your opinion, what are the chances of coding going the way of MT with outsourcing to foreign countries and/or technology cutting back the number or coders needed? Any opinions would be appreciated.  I'm thinking about starting classes. ...

This Is Actually The Future For Transcriptionists, Sm
Aug 03, 2010

Go to this website.  Transcriptionists will no longer be needed in the future for transcribing or editing.  One of my friends told me the hospital she retired from is going to this system and their transcription department will eventually no longer exist.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGMEf11GmBo ...

TransTech In My Future?
Feb 09, 2011

I'm on the fence and need some advice.  I would like to make a move and I've applied to TransTech, but I think I might want to apply for an in-house position versus at-home position.  I have friends who work at TransTech,  but they are at-home MTs and they don't know how TransTech in-house MTs are set up or even how many there are.  Are there any in-house MTs for TransTech who could tell me why they chose the in-house versus at-home position?  Other than ...

EMR And The Future Of Transcription
Jul 27, 2011

With the president's health care reform he is giving incentives to doctors to switch to EMR.  From what I understand, if doctors have not switched over to EMR by 2014 they will be taxed.  What is the future of our business with this policy?  Especially the big transcription companies like Transcend? ...

Hope For The Future! Sm
Dec 18, 2011

I just finished typing a patient -   106 years old - NO past medical history, NO past surgical history, completely negative ROS, NO medications at all.  She came into the ER for a tooth abscess!  ...

No Future In This Industry?
Jun 29, 2012

I don't know why I'm posting, just a last bit of hope left in me.  I have devoted my entire adult life to this industry, what I used to consider a career. Over the decades, I became a top-notch professional MT, basically 100% accuracy, never needed QA help, and was a huge producer.   Fast forward 20 years, and I climbed up the ladder in our industry, joining QA, being a team lead, then up into management levels, and.... rather than have my salary 'commensurate with ...

Brighter Future?
Sep 01, 2012

You know, I just stumbled upon this website a week or so ago. Reading some of your post have really opened my eyes as to how lucky I am to have my position. I am semi-new to the MT world. I work for a wonderful company, but it makes me sad to see everyone has to put up with just insane working conditions from other companies.  I hope all of you find companies that realize you are their biggest asset. They cannot make deadlines, or quality goals without the hard work that all of you ...

Mmodal Future
Oct 15, 2012

So everything is going swimmingly for Mmodal - getting better in every way every day -- except, of course, for MT pay. ...

Future Of MT Redux
Feb 05, 2013

Hello, all! I am a new MT searching for my first job in the field. Just about a year ago, this forum was discussing EPIC, EMTs, technology and policies negatively impacting the medical transcriptionist.  What has your experience been? Any new thoughts concerning the future of MT? If you have a job, is it being impacted negatively, if at all? I'd love to hear from the job-hunters as well. Thanks. ...

Nuance's Future
Mar 10, 2013

....that says that Nuance is not doing well. It's stocks are down and they are losing accounts to more advanced speech technology. It also goes to say that there is a possibility that Nuance will be sold.     ...

To MTSOs, What Does The Future Look Like To You? Sm
Apr 16, 2013

Wondering what you small MTSO companies have lined up for the future?  We have discussed what MTs are possibly switching to in the near future and now I wonder if all of these small MTSO companies that might be making a good living now have a backup plan for when it all dries up?  ...

The Future Of Transcription
May 07, 2013

I had to take my two kids to the doctor the other day.  Thought I was lucky, because there were only 2 people in front of us, but it was TWO HOURS before we were called back.  Once I got back there, I saw why.  When the nurse came in to ask the pre-visit questions, she asked a MILLION questions and entered them all into her laptop, typing out what we said (typed VERY slow, by the way) and we were just on HER portion for over 45 minutes.  Then, the doctor came in and saw the kids and she spen ...