A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Future job outlook - everydayearthling

Posted: Feb 09, 2010

I'm currently an MT, wanting to change careers.  In your opinion, what are the chances of coding going the way of MT with outsourcing to foreign countries and/or technology cutting back the number or coders needed?

Any opinions would be appreciated.  I'm thinking about starting classes.

See message. :) - Linda Andrews

[ In Reply To ..]
Nobody knows. If anyone tells you they know what's going to happen to any industry these days, they've got to be fooling themselves.

Throughout my career 'the experts' have told us exactly what was going to happen. They have been wrong each and every time. I'll tell you my thought process and let you come up with your own conclusions, weighing all that you've heard and evaluating it.

I've paid careful attention to new technology and changes in our industry since I opened the school in 1989-90. I used to make myself exhausted believing every new thing that came out of professional medical journals. Every month a new journal article comes out, often an article about how wonderful a certain technology is, and if you look into who wrote the article, it's usually written by someone who sells or represents that technology. The next month they come out with some NEW but equally earthshaking prediction that they represent as a fact.

A few years ago, maybe 10, a friend of mine who owned a court reporting school was told that court reporting was obsolete. At that time the powers that be were saying that videotaping was the new thing. So he closed that part of his school. It didn't happen like the experts predicted because nobody wanted to sit there and watch a video. They wanted to thumb through the actual manuscript and find the page they wanted.

So, what's going to happen? I don't think outsourcing will be a problem. Technology may change the way we do some things, but for some reason it hasn't been able to provide insight that comes from a truly well-prepared coder. That's just my opinion. Time will tell. Each person will have to take the information and weigh it using their own personal experience and decide what they think the future holds for any occupation.

On the bright side, there will always be a need for those who understand the various parts of the medical record and how they go together. The job title and description may vary, but those important parts will always be relevant. Does that make sense?

unfortunately it's - already happening...nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Could you be more specific? :) - Linda Andrews

[ In Reply To ..]
Would you mind giving more details?

a coder friend of mine - told me

[ In Reply To ..]
a large hospital system in FL was doing this already....then I read some coder forums to find the same complaints coming from people all over the U.S....more on billing than coding, but nevertheless, it has begun.
Could you see if you can get more information? - Linda Andrews
[ In Reply To ..]
Years ago some of the hospitals tried using encoders in place of coders, but it cost them huge amounts of money. Now they use them, but only to help the coders.

At any rate, would you see if you can get more information about what your coder friend is seeing? I'm not really so interested in the billing part of it, but just the coding if you would be kind enough to ask her or him. It would be an interesting discussion here. Wish we had more coders on here too, but that's another thing altogether. :)

offshoring - Jm

[ In Reply To ..]
I just canât see it happening with coding. I think coding is too complex and the legal issues will deter anyone from shipping it out of the U.S. With Medicare RACs (recovery audit contractors) coming out looking for fraud, overpayment, documentation being what it is, coders needing to query, and needing to have more and more clinical knowledge, I believe it is in hospitals and healthcare centers best interest to have their own workers, know what they know, and know that they are keeping up with the ongoing changes and education. If there are mistakes, the facility is accountable. This is just my opinion of course.

offshoring - cj

[ In Reply To ..]
As little as a year ago, I would have totally agreed with you. now I am not so sure. I have seen a couple of places who are using offshore coding services. I, too, am skeptical of the quality of offshore coding, but I never thought MT would be allowed to be so horribly degraded, either. my bigger fear, however, is the use of computer assisted coding, which is becoming more sophisticated every day. I believe that in the future the coders will become more like editors than coders. In other words, the Ncoder will assign the codes based on what is entered by the provider in terms of documentation, and the role of the coder will be to verify the coding as opposed to actually performing the coding. That being said, the cost of such a system is astronomical and I think it will be quite some time before it is practical for this be commonplace. For now I think coding is relatively safe but, like everything, will in the future face some changes as technology evolves

Similar Messages:

A Different Outlook
May 27, 2013

My thoughts:  I completely understand where you are coming from when you complain about how bad ASR is -- it is horrid -- BUT, on the other hand, if it were really great, we would have no job. So, as far as I am concerned, I will keep on making the corrections and hope it never improves.   ...

I Have XP And Sometimes When I Am In My Outlook Email It Will Say I Am Low
Jan 27, 2013

on virtual memory but the last time it wouldnt let me open emails because of that and then I rebooted which I dont do often and it worked.  No clue.  I think a lot of this happened since upgrading to IE8. ...

Setting Up Outlook Express
Feb 15, 2010

I need help setting up Outlook Express from scratch.  I need help with everything.  I guess I am really dumb. ...

Job Outlook For Medical Transcriptionists
Mar 24, 2013

http://bls.gov/ooh/Healthcare/Medical-transcriptionists.htm ...

Opinions On Course Of Study And Job Outlook?
Mar 31, 2013

Usual story -- I loved MT, but I'm about to be laid off and know another MT job would probably pay minimum wage (if that!).  I'm lucky, in that I'll get enough unemployment to live on and will probably still have enough savings to pay tuition.  However, I have no preexisting college degree, and both unemployment and tuition money will only stretch to about 5 quarters. I've already passed the CPC exam once, can brush up and pass it again.  My local co ...

Bureau Of Labor Statistics Job Outlook For MT
Mar 20, 2013

From the BLS website: Job Outlook Medical TranscriptionistsPercent change in employment, projected 2010-20Other Healthcare Support Occupations - 25%  Total, All Occupations - 14%  Medical Transcriptionists - 6%  Employment of medical transcriptionists is expected to grow 6 percent from 2010 to 2020, slower than the average for all occupations. The volume of healthcare services is expected to continue to increase, resulting in a growing number of medical tests and procedures, all ...

Occuaptional Outlook. Not So Good Yall
Aug 08, 2013

from the USDOL  worse than I thought.  Only 6% growth  http://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/medical-transcriptionists.htm ...

Outlook 2013 Email Question
Nov 19, 2013

Hope someone can help me with this one.  I recently updated to Windows 8 and Office 2013.  As of about five days ago my deleted messages are NOT showing up in the deleted items folder.  Not sure if I inadvertently changed a setting, or what the problem could be.  I'm using Comcast email, IMAP account.     Thanks!!!  ...

Well Here I Am With XP, IE8 And Outlook And Microsoft Will No Longer Support
Mar 16, 2014

them after next month.  I wasnt reallly counting in all this new equiipment that I probably will have to buy.  What can I do without spending a ton of money.  I am thinking just to keep doing this and what happens happens. ...

Looking For A User Friendly Email Program Other Than Outlook, Any Suggestions?
Jan 26, 2012

I currently have Outlook 2010 on my PC and I HATE IT!  I can't save any contacts.  I keep getting a message that says I don't have permission to save to that folder or something to that effect.  It's has an obnoxious toolbar at the top of the screen that I have to study every time I need to perform any kind of action.  I really just want something simple.  I don't have Outlook Express on my PC which I would use if I had it.  I've been looki ...

The Future Of MT
Nov 25, 2009

Many have said that MT is not what it once was. Here's a topic: What is/could be the future of medical transcirption?   Diane   ...

MT's Future?
Feb 20, 2010

I was told not to enter the medical transcription field because it was not going to exist in about five or six years. Is this true? I really want a job that is professional and allows me to work at home as well. Thanks ...

The Future Of MT.
Sep 26, 2012

Wondering what thoughts are on this article.  I believe MT is changing but is not a dying profession.  ...

Future Of MTs
Jun 06, 2013

Iâve been doing more research into the future of the MT field and I find that it is morphing into something I do not want to be a part of. Are EMR/EHR really cutting down transcription costs/jobs? If you goggle this you will find a huge disparity of opinion from âgoal being to have no transcriptionists whatsoeverâ at one extreme to âall this new fangled stuff is just some new toys for the kids to play withâ being at the other. Some are on the fence and some are crying itâs a ...

The Future Of MTs - Is There One?
Jan 18, 2014

I am a former MT who is going to school for Health Informatics.  I worked as a transcriptionist for over 20 years.  Two and a half years ago our team was told the organization we worked for was going to voice recognition and our jobs were being phased out which is when I chose to go back to school.  I am writing my final paper on “The Future of Medical Transcription – Is There One?”   I would like to get information from other transcriptionists on this ...

The Future
Mar 19, 2014

Hello to everyone on MTStars. I've been reading all these posts for weeks.  My hospital announced in Jan. that we would get laid off in July b/c they had decided to go with M*Modal.  After everything I have read here you could not beat me with a stick to apply for M*Modal; even though that is what they wanted us to do.  I've come to terms with it.  I am at peace.  I have been transcribing for 16 years, and have made EXCELLENT money, $25-30/hour. If this is the ...

Future Net - Anybody Still There?
May 08, 2014

Anybody still there?  After months of shoving MModal down our throats they just sent an email out on how to fix the spellchecker in the program!  Do you think that should have been done before forcing this on MTs?  Looks like there is no turning back, they are just forcing the issue and you can either make less than minimum wage, WAY less, or take a hike as many of us have been told.  A ton of work in regular SR every day because looks like everyone is in fact leaving but at the same time, m ...

Is This The Future?
May 20, 2014

I am beginning to think that the future with VR and point-and-click plus offshoring means that the work that is remaining will be just a little bit from a bunch of different accounts, meaning we have to navigate through a bunch of different account specs for those MTs left.  My old account went completely offshore, the new account I was transferred to went completely over to Epic and my new assignment has me with 3 accounts and the work is dried up so I will have to ask for more.  The ...

Future
Nov 02, 2014

Recently, I  saw several posts about TSMs being let go, about other things that are changing in the different regions.   Will that be happening across the board I wonder?  Are these changes in place right now?   Thank you for your input. ...

Future Of MT
Mar 25, 2015

Well, just saw a report on my local news that one of the hospitals in my area is trying out the Dragon Medical voice/rec system, where they are doing it directly at the hospital right into the medical record.  Allegedly it is just a pilot program, but it showed the doctor looking at a computer screen and dictating into the machine, and the text would appear directly on the computer.  Then he can read what he said and put it directly into the chart.  Then any doctor in the hospital ...

Is There Really A Future For MT Work?
Feb 03, 2010

I don't mean to start a downer post here, but I sincerely want to know if there is a future for MT work. I see posts by a few who have succeeded, at least somewhat, in the MT world.  However, these are very few.  Then there are those who were happy just to find a job, but a few months later, were let go because of no work.  There are some whom I know to be conscientious workers who were fired out of the blue.  Could this just be the company losing accounts and placing t ...

This Is Actually The Future For Transcriptionists, Sm
Aug 03, 2010

Go to this website.  Transcriptionists will no longer be needed in the future for transcribing or editing.  One of my friends told me the hospital she retired from is going to this system and their transcription department will eventually no longer exist.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGMEf11GmBo ...

TransTech In My Future?
Feb 09, 2011

I'm on the fence and need some advice.  I would like to make a move and I've applied to TransTech, but I think I might want to apply for an in-house position versus at-home position.  I have friends who work at TransTech,  but they are at-home MTs and they don't know how TransTech in-house MTs are set up or even how many there are.  Are there any in-house MTs for TransTech who could tell me why they chose the in-house versus at-home position?  Other than ...

EMR And The Future Of Transcription
Jul 27, 2011

With the president's health care reform he is giving incentives to doctors to switch to EMR.  From what I understand, if doctors have not switched over to EMR by 2014 they will be taxed.  What is the future of our business with this policy?  Especially the big transcription companies like Transcend? ...

The Future Of Coding
Aug 13, 2011

I am currently taking a program taught by a coder in my city.  It is very in depth and I will be able to sit for the CPC when I finish, but I am worried about the future of coding.  I read an article (I can't remember where but was in a health journal of some kind) that in 5 years coding will be mostly computer-assisted, documentation for coding will be 3/4 electronic, and coding staffing levels will be starting to decrease due to technology.  Who agrees with this?  Am I ...

Hope For The Future! Sm
Dec 18, 2011

I just finished typing a patient -   106 years old - NO past medical history, NO past surgical history, completely negative ROS, NO medications at all.  She came into the ER for a tooth abscess!  ...

No Future In This Industry?
Jun 29, 2012

I don't know why I'm posting, just a last bit of hope left in me.  I have devoted my entire adult life to this industry, what I used to consider a career. Over the decades, I became a top-notch professional MT, basically 100% accuracy, never needed QA help, and was a huge producer.   Fast forward 20 years, and I climbed up the ladder in our industry, joining QA, being a team lead, then up into management levels, and.... rather than have my salary 'commensurate with ...

Brighter Future?
Sep 01, 2012

You know, I just stumbled upon this website a week or so ago. Reading some of your post have really opened my eyes as to how lucky I am to have my position. I am semi-new to the MT world. I work for a wonderful company, but it makes me sad to see everyone has to put up with just insane working conditions from other companies.  I hope all of you find companies that realize you are their biggest asset. They cannot make deadlines, or quality goals without the hard work that all of you ...

Mmodal Future
Oct 15, 2012

So everything is going swimmingly for Mmodal - getting better in every way every day -- except, of course, for MT pay. ...

Future Of MT Redux
Feb 05, 2013

Hello, all! I am a new MT searching for my first job in the field. Just about a year ago, this forum was discussing EPIC, EMTs, technology and policies negatively impacting the medical transcriptionist.  What has your experience been? Any new thoughts concerning the future of MT? If you have a job, is it being impacted negatively, if at all? I'd love to hear from the job-hunters as well. Thanks. ...