A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Transcend plays favorites big time - Upset

Posted: Dec 04, 2009

Why are these managers playing favorites?  Don't they think that some of us know our teammates and talk to them?  Just as an example, one of my teammates got a birthday gift, but some of the rest of have never even gotten a birthday card or note saying happy birthday.   Some get thank you letters if they spell a word right and the rest of never even get a thank you when we have worked hours to help get an account out of trouble.  And this is by the same manager.   I have to go to my teammates to find out what is going on because my team lead doesn't know because she isn't told anything either.    Doesn't Transcend ever monitor or evaluate its managers? 

I don't get any of those things from Transcend - Gimmesomework

[ In Reply To ..]
either. But rather than be upset about that, the lack of work on an almost weekly basis is what upsets me. They can keep their gestures (and they do), but give me some work. Gifts, words of praise are not important. Paying my bills is.

That's why it's best not to discuss such things.... - DMZ

[ In Reply To ..]
...among coworkers....it can make or break a team or its leaders. One thing I learned many years ago - you don't discuss your salary or any "bonuses" you may get among those you work with on a daily basis. If everyone keeps their mouths shut, nobody has anything to complain about. Some people just love to dig for something to bitch about.

I'm not sure I agree entirely with that. - MTDays

[ In Reply To ..]
I think to a degree it has contributed to the downfall of the industry. For instance, if wages were not cloaked in so much secrecy, maybe we could have slowed down the free-fall of wages. For example, if someone knows that a company is willing to and does pay at least some of its MTs 9-10 cpl, an MT might be more willing to play hardball or negotiate something better than the 7.5 cpl that the MTSO says is the going rate.

Also, on just a more personal level, if I know that a company obviously does not 'appreciate' me to the same degree that they do other employees, I would just as soon know that and move on to someplace else where I may be more welcomed.

While there is no way to unite us an industry, more transparency would help a lot of MTs make decisions that will ultimately improve their working conditions.
wage transparancy - NorCalMT
[ In Reply To ..]
Believe it's the company's responsibility to be more transparent and not put the burden on the MT. How many job posts do we see that don't mention the pay or are vague about it like 'depending on experience.? We have ENOUGH to be responsible for. Let's push the companies to be more forthright! ;)

I don't even know who my coworkers are, just my leads. sm - dd

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't even know if there are any coworkers left from the Deventure merger, but would be interested in at least having one coworker friend. I thought that was not allowed for the longest time and am still not sure.
RE: CORRESPONDING WITH CO-WORKERS - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
NOT ALLOWED? What did you think was not allowed? Last I remember, we were living in the good 'ole USA and our freedom of speech was protected by the Constitution. So the MTSOs now supersede the laws drawn up by the U.S. Constitution? What power they've gained all of a sudden (LMAO big time)!
Transcend has their own MLS website with a forum. You - TranscenderMT
[ In Reply To ..]
have access to all Transcend employees there. You post under your real name, not annonymous. Maybe you can check there and see if you can re-connect with any old co-workers.

hush hush policy? - rubberbabybuggybumpers

[ In Reply To ..]
Prior is a valid complaint for this company, though, because they segregate "team" members by not allowing open communication among members, which in itself promotes bad work output and ostracization. Open communication between members facilitates better organization (for the company), better job quality (beneficial for company and employee), and a sense of well being and inclusion for the employee. Communication also validates the word "TEAM". You can't be a "TEAM" if you're not working with one another.
When is the last time you interacted with "team" members? - Not sure I agree here...
[ In Reply To ..]
I do agree that open communication is the best policy, but really, when was the last time you had total access to your coworkers at an MTSO? Some MTSOs have their own little forums where you can meet and then interact off line if you choose, but overall, in my day to day work, I have not directly (other than email) communicated with ANY of my team members or coworkers since the early 90s.

Back then, we could call QA and ask them to listen. That ended long ago.

To my knowledge, MDI MD has never actually actively discouraged open communication by MTs and I cant even follow how this would be related to bad work output. I work at home, I am alone overall, and my work output is directly 100% related to Me. Not whether I have a chat with another MT or talk about our salaries or email to gripe about a doctor. And, yes, I am still a team member no matter that I don't talk to the other team members. Honestly, I don't have the time to talk/email/chat with my team members - now there would be some bad work output!

One last comment - if you wanted to communicate with fellow MDIers on your team, it's pretty easy to figure out how to.

Thanks for your input though.

Quite often, actually. - Transcender
[ In Reply To ..]
We've NEVER been told not to talk to each other, and in fact, I often hear from fellow team members because I have a reputation for having a rather large stash of sample dictations, and for being willing to share them with my co-workers.
That's great! The implication was Transcend or MDI is keeping us separate - NM
[ In Reply To ..]
No message.
I should add, - Transcender
[ In Reply To ..]
however, that I never, EVER, under ANY circumstances, discuss my pay scale in detail with ANYONE who is not my direct supervisor (or above). My very first day on my very first job, about a hundred years ago, I was so instructed, and I've never deviated from that policy since. It's just a really, really bad idea.

I have, however, gotten into very general discussions, to the effect that pay scales have gone down the indoor fixture in recent years (as if anyone didn't already know THAT), and that I make what appears to be a rate that's "in the ballpark" for nowadays. I don't get any more detailed than that. It just makes for discontent, since there's always going to be somebody who makes less than you do, or a quarter to half cent more than you do, and it's better all around NOT to go there. Truly.
Transcender - DMZ
[ In Reply To ..]
You said that much more succinctly than I tried to - very well done! Kudos to you.
I interact with my team members all the time. - MDIr for now
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Keystrokes does the same thing. - Typing Machine
[ In Reply To ..]
Totally agree with your post.
WHAT???? You're kidding, right? I email with other people on my account and use SM - Happy Keystroker
[ In Reply To ..]
Facebook and IM. I know they are also putting in company-wide email. It may have been that way in the past but not for the past 3 years. I love the communication and feeling of team that I get from KS. I am definitely not just a number and I love that!
No names, no communication, and - Typing Machine
[ In Reply To ..]
No, this past year. Never knew any of my coworker's names, e-mails or anything, AND never knew if a new "typing machine" had been hired or how many machines were working at any given time.
WELCOME ABOARD! - New hire
[ In Reply To ..]
The welcome aboard e-mail was sent to about 15 people and no one sent an e-mail acknowledging my arrival. Very strange I thought.
I wish that happened at MDI - MDIMT
[ In Reply To ..]
I have never communicated with my fellow MTs, and even made a suggestion to a supervisor that it would be nice if we got to know one another, and a little bit about where we were from, no response to that request at all. I have known of any that do contact one another, although I have only been with the company a little over a year. I think it is great to do that though.
Totally agree - KSMT
[ In Reply To ..]
I have been there for about 3 years as well and have always had a totally open line of communication with everyone. I know that I am a valued employee and plan on being with KS for many, many years to come.
At one time.. - MDIMT
[ In Reply To ..]
A few years ago, Transcend took down the website because they felt it was causing problems between the MTS,and it was causing a lot of very upset MTs. Many were comparing salaries, complaining of about being overlooked for raises, and felt that there was no equality. It got so bad, and the language was so heated, it caused production to go down, so yes it does happen.

Favorites - Scott

[ In Reply To ..]
They don't say anything because they do not care. You (we) are just machines.

Unfair managers - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Definitely some managers are not qualified to be managers and they should be monitored. My manager definitely has favorites. The favorites get all the best work, don't run out of work, get all the info while the "not so favorites" get the worst work and have to fend for themselves. I wish there was something to do about this too...definitely unfair!!

Transcend - Discouraged

[ In Reply To ..]
You are correct about the managers, plus they dont respond to emails, or if they do it does not even pertain to the subject, it is like no one really pays any attention to you unless of course you are not doing what you are supposed to be doing. For a big company, I am totally disappointed in their practices.

Transcend - Discouraged here too - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
It's hard to keep a good attitude about what I produce when the team leaders and managers dont/wont respond to questions or concerns. I feel like they dont care at all about quality - just dollars in the pocket. I couldn't help but wonder how some people achieved their manager status - until I realized Transcend managers seem to fit a common mold...invisible.

Discouraged???? - MT way too long

[ In Reply To ..]
Well if they only respond to you when you are NOT doing what you are suppose to be doing..........that makes sense to me. If they are not on your back and not bugging you then what is the problem? Sounds to me if they are bugging you because you are not doing what you are suppose to be doing then they are doing their job. If they are not bothering you, then you are doing your job. What is the problem. Why the need for the constant dialogue all the time?

Favorites.........WHY? - MT way too long

[ In Reply To ..]
I am not trying to cause a stir here but I do have a question. After being in this business nearly 33 years, I don't quite understand WHY, if you work at home, you feel it necessary to communicate with other MTs that you don't see, etc. etc. I thought part of the "draw" of working at home was to keep away from the office politics and exactly this kind of stuff.

What's wrong with just doing your work, asking the appropriate work-related questions of your supervisor and forget all this other business. Who cares if somebody got a birthday card, a kind word, a thank-you note, etc. Why does it matter? That being said, how is it that your "team-mates" know things that your team lead does not?

It seems like the only thing anybody in this business should be concerned about getting these days is more money.

Please dont flame me, I am truly curious as to why you feel it necessary to be "stroked."

I promise you if you will just do your work and then shut the computer down you will feel a whole lot better.

AMEN! - nm - debmt

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

I have a question too. - Wondering

[ In Reply To ..]
If you can't understand the need to communicate with other MTs that you don't see, why do you network on this board?

I'm not flaming, but I don't see where it is 'stroking' if someone feels slighted that they don't get the same thing their teammate does...especially if it's because the teammate is a friend or a relative of a team leader or account manager. In my day, that was considered nepotism and it wasn't regarded very highly. Why is it any different just because we don't physically see each other?

to wondering - mt way too long

[ In Reply To ..]
You say "in your day" so I assume you have been MTing for a very long time? Yes those things are nepotism. But what I DON't understand is how in the world folks who work at home can manage to make it a point to communicate with folks they don't know (or maybe they do know) enough to find out so much information. Nepotism is no different working at home or not working at home but that is not the point here. The point is, we work at home, PERIOD! Obviously it is not the "norm" to know all this information so why make a point to find it out. Who gives a rip what other people do?

There is a difference between networking on a chat board and trying to find out every little thing that is going on in a company when you are not physically there, do not see or interact in person with other folks, etc.

In my opinion, it is absolutely childish and immature to sit around worrying about who is sending who thank you notes, kind words etc. I figure what you don't know won't hurt you and it really doesn't make a difference one way or another. This business has turned into nothing more than a production based bunch of nonsense. When you work on production only and make the low wages we are making now, why waste the time with this nonsense? Most folks went home to work years ago hoping to get away from the "office politics" and I see more "office politics" going on with the folks working at home than in the offices at times. I guess some folks are not going to be happy no matter where or what they do. If there is no trouble, they must find some.

If you have been doing this for a very long time, I am surprised you even have the question!
Who says it's not the norm? - Wondering
[ In Reply To ..]
When I first started out working at home, I was an employee of a hospital. Several of us would communicate daily via email. When the MT dept. was outsourced, we had the option of going with the service or finding other employment. We stuck together and many of us have networked for YEARS, adding to our network others that we have worked with in different companies. In fact, Yahoo, Facebook, and others have several MT networks where people have actually....gasp....met in person.

It may not be the norm for YOU, but that doesn't apply to everyone. But since you've chosen to isolate yourself, I'm not surprised that you are...surprised, that is.
not the norm-this is late - MT way too long
[ In Reply To ..]
This is several days late posting but I had to answer your "question/comment."

Not everyone working at home came out of a hospital situation into a home situation with the same employer. The majority of folks working at home work for MTSOs. When you do that, you don't know anyone so why try and stir up trouble. There is a difference when you have worked with a group of people. One hospital I worked at for nearly 6 years sent part of us home to work. We all kept in touch. I am talking about "generally." But, then again you know what I am talking about and you are just trying to be nasty. Having done this for over 30 years, when I started at home we didn't have facebook and all this other stuff. There is such a thing as being able to work alone and not have to have the "stroking" and all the nonsense that goes on in an office.

No I did not choose to isolate myself. I chose to work at home. Since I didn't know anyone.......how can you when everybody is scattered across the country, why try and start trouble?

Similar Messages:

Express Scribe Load Plays Super-fast
Jul 13, 2012

I recently downloaded the free version of Express Scribe.  The "Welcome" message plays with no problem, but any file that I try to load plays super-fast.  I am pretty sure I checked all the settings, such as F10 (normal play back speed) and the speed control in the bottom right hand corner.  If anyone can help with this I would appreciate it.  I did send an email to tech support but will probably never get an answer b/c I didn't purchase it. ...

Here Is One Of My Favorites
Nov 04, 2009

At the end of the dictation, the doctor says "Please send a copy to the patient's PCP" and it's listed NOWHERE.  Gotta love it.  ...

Does Anyone Else See That Companies Have Favorites Or Is It Just Me?
Aug 17, 2010

Just curious if anyone else thinks this ...

Need Help Moving Favorites To New Computer
Oct 16, 2010

My old computer's hard drive is dying quickly. I need to move all my favorites/bookmarks  from the old one to the new one. I've tried import and Export and it doesn't work. I tried copying the favorites to a CD-ROM but don't know how to get them onto the new computer. I've spent all morning searching for the answer and trying to move them over to no avail. I tried coping the files from the CD-ROM to the new computer and supposedly it worked but I'll be durned ...

Transcend Part-time Question
Jan 16, 2010

How strict is Transcend on the weedend 8 hour requirement for part-time? If I am only working 20 hours/week, it seems a little crazy that 8 of those hours have to be a weekend day. ...

Transcend/Nuance - Time Clock
Nov 25, 2012

Used to work for Transcend and loved that you input your own time card.  You could put down 8 hours even if it took you 10 to make your lines/$.  Sorry to see employees will now have to use that same stupid clock we all do.  Not hard, just a pain in the (&*&.   When we were acquired by Nuance we still use our old system with time clock built in and the new one too.  Then the reduction in wages.  All in all... not a joyful union.  My sympathies are ...

One More Time For Transcend – Then Maybe We Can Let Them Rest In Peace
May 10, 2010

For all you Transcend haters – more fuel for the flames. This is PUBLIC record – nothing confidential here.  No need to comment on the validity – this is straight from the Court records.  By the way, they are in talks and have hopes to acquire 1 or 2 more companies THIS YEAR.  Is your company going to be one of them?  No one is safe!!!   LET THE RANTINGS BEGIN ENJOY !!!!!  Plaintiff TRS Institute, LLC, complaining of Defendant Transcend S ...

Transcend Full Time Status Quotas
Apr 27, 2011

I'm a newbie at Transcend and find I like it more than expected based on board comments.  I am also new to VR - and also find that I like that too!  My question is this, for any long-time Transcenders...I am nowhere near making the minimum $$ amount required for full-time status, which I was hired at.  What happens after the 90 day trial period -   Do you think I would be let go??  I would like to just be considered part-time at that point.  ...

Transcend Employees...entering Time In TimeSaver
Feb 07, 2012

I need help and need to know how you all enter your time in TimeSaver.  I was told to only enter the time you are actually typing or editing and do not enter the time you are researching or reading work emails, etc., only when your "hands are on the keyboard".  So, this obviously won't equal to 8 hours a day just by entering this time, so how do they figure in that we are full-time employees this way?   If I only enter 5 or 6 hours a day instead of 8 then they can ...

TRANSCEND WORK LOAD - Applying For Part-time Work
Apr 13, 2011

Thinking of applying for part-time work.  Just wondering if the workload has improved since the prior posts below.  ...

Transferring "Favorites" To New Computer
Aug 19, 2010

Getting a new computer and trying to figure out how to transfer my "favorites" to my new computer. I have tried a google search and tried following the steps on there, but it's not working. I have a flash drive. Is there a simple way for someone who is technically challenged?  Thanks!!! ...

Transcend "time Clock"
Feb 15, 2012

I've tried to sort through bajillions of posts (or so it seems) about TRCR requiring MLS to only clock the time w/ their hands on the keyboard, and I have a couple of questions. 1)  If this is an issue w/ you, are you not making the $ reqiored for the ppd, yet you're working your required hours? 2)  Do you run out of work regularly (I'm not talking the last day or two of the ppd)? Just curious.  I'm not a suit.  I'm just relatively new and I'v ...

"Favorites" Question
Aug 26, 2010

This might sound stupid, but how do you delete some of the Favorites that I don't use in Windows XP. Thanks ya'll   ...

QA Keeps Changing Pro-time To Pro-time Or Pro-time Or Pro-time....once And For All, Which Is Correct
Apr 07, 2011

x ...

Trying To Find Part-time Or Full-time Employee Position (hospital/clinic)
Apr 30, 2013

If anyone knows of a hospital, clinic, or large practice offering remote full-time or part-time employee positions, I would really appreciate an email.  I have the sudden need to help support a family member long term (in addition to myself) and really need to find a long-term remote employee position for the stability.  Yes, I watch all the various employment sites and even individual hospital sites, but I was hoping that maybe, just maybe someone who works for a hospital that does th ...

How Many Lines Is Considered Full Time And Part Time At Your MTSO?
May 06, 2010

I am wondering what the average for part time and full time status is either if it is done by line count or hours. Thanks so much! ...

FULL-TIME DOWNGRADE TO PART-TIME STATUS - Question
Dec 08, 2011

Has anyone working for an MTSO been downgraded from full-time status to part-time status based on not enough hours worked to be considered full time, yet making well above the minimum amount of earnings required for full-time status? ...

Does Precyse Hire Any Part-time Or Only Full-time?
Nov 03, 2010

nm ...

Overtime Because Of The Time Clock Time Zone Change?
Feb 06, 2011

It has been inconvenient, and maybe a bit confusing at times, to check my time card hours for my shift as, because of my time zone, part of my hours show up on the next day because I work 2nd shift. I wonder if I will get overtime for yesterday, even though I did not work overtime. I had to start work several hours early because of maintenance, so all hours were completed before the hour my hours start showing up on the next day. Fine. But the last couple hours of yesterday show up as today, ...

Anybody Else's Actual Time Worked Not Match Clocked Time?
Jun 13, 2011

Ever since they have changed Schedule Source and now it has a display called today's activity with "actuals" hours, this has not matched the hours shown with the time clock punches and is less than the hours according to the clock punch. The difference adds up to a significant amount over time. I am really suspicious about being jypped paywise. ...

MQ Rehire Policy For Part Time To Full Time
Apr 09, 2011

I worked for MQ full time and then went to part time last year, before finally quitting altogether because of health problems. I seem to remember an obscure policy that if you were full time and then went to part time, you could not go back to full time for a period of at least 1 year.  Can anyone verify that for me? IF, and this is a big IF, I were to go back to work for MQ, I would need to be full time. ...

Part-time Versus Full-time Benefits
Jan 10, 2013

I'm curious as to the difference between the benefits for part-time versus full-time employment.  Are they the same?   ...

The New MQ Time Clock Time Zone Change
Jan 04, 2011

is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.  Like I'm going to remember 6 months from now to ask for my PTO in CST time when I am in EST time zone.  MQ is the screwiest company I have ever worked for. ...

Optiscript Part Time To Full Time
Nov 19, 2011

Does anyone care to share that if you are hired at optiscript part time will they let you change to full time easily? I know they are a small company and do not over hire so I do not know how easily this could be done.  I am thinking of cutting down to part time at my current employee so I can work part time elsewhere and eventually just leave my current employee once I see how the land lays elsewhere.  Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated :) ...

Full-time/Part-time Hours?
Feb 13, 2012

Since part-time is generally considered 20-25 hrs. per week, does that mean that full-time is anything over 25 hrs. per week or does it have to be a flat 40 hrs? ...

Anyone Gone From Full-time To Part-time With This Company?
Mar 21, 2012

I am strongly considering going to part-time, just hoping to get opinions from anyone who has gone from full-time to part-time or opinions from anyone who has just always been part-time.  Thanks! ...

Nuance: From Full-time To Part-time
Apr 26, 2012

Would anyone be willing to post info on this? I am considering switching to part-time. Wondering how amenable the company is to such requests. If you have done this, were you able to keep same schedule or were you forced into a different schedule? Thanks for any thoughts! ...

Questions Re Going From Full Time To Part Time. Sm
Aug 08, 2012

Has anyone been allowed to go from full-time to part-time employment with Nuance?  Were you able to keep the same basic schedule?  I won't be ready to do this until early next year, so not asking HR at this point. Thanks for any responses! ...

Nuance - Part Time To Full Time?
Aug 08, 2012

I see the post about going from full to part time, but what about the opposite?  For example, if I get hired at 30 hours per week and I have extra time available for a few weeks, can I consistently work more hours than those scheduled 30 hours?  Thanks for any insight you can give. ...

Change From Full- Time To Part- Time.
Sep 10, 2012

I am still debating whether to enroll at Andrews or M-TEC.  My husband is retiring in 2 years and I want to be able to work part-time after that.  Is it realistic to think that I can complete the course at Andrews or M-TEC in 12 months at the most, work full time for a year and then part-time after that.  I would want to be able to work from home.  I guess the other question is "How long after graduating could I expect to earn enough to make it worth the investment, in a reas ...