A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Teacher: Class, how can we be more creative with MT pay gouging? - Class: Pay 30 cents an audio minute.

Posted: Oct 02, 2013

If a person types 60 words a minute (roughly six lines with 10 words per line), and it takes two minutes to type those six lines (roughly twice the amount of time as dictated), that equates to this: 30 minutes divided by 6 lines equals 5 cents, divided by 2 for the time factor of typing = 2.5 cents a line. I guess we are seeing the new low in the MT limbo dance.

Pay - Cathy

[ In Reply To ..]
I think I saw 30 cents per audio minute for editing. I have seen $1 per audio minute of straight typing, so I guess it fits in with the whole misconception that we can edit more than twice as fast as we can type, although we all know that is not true. It would depend on how much demographics info you have to enter, how accurate the VR engine is, etc., but I think I would starve on that pay. I can type close to 120 wpm, but it usually still takes me about twice as long to transcribe the report (unless the dictators takes lots of breaks or I have lots of macros).

Similar Messages:

Capitalization - Los Angeles Class/Class A esophagitis
Dec 17, 2012

Los Angeles class/Class A esophagitis. Is "class" capped or no?   Thank you. ...

ASR Is Way Too Creative.
Dec 11, 2009

Doctor says no arthralgia.  ASR says no swelling.  No way is this close.  I often find creative transcription in the ASR.  There is simply no excuse for this!  Especially when the doctor is speaking clearly.  We should be paid 110% of our cpl for fixing this garbage.   ...

MM SR Is Nothing If Not Creative...
May 07, 2013

MD enunciated very slowly and clearly: "pro-chlor-pera-zine." SR kicked out: "slow crawl oral paddle seen." Wow.  ...

Former Teacher Returning To MT Field
Jul 05, 2011

Greetings from the great state of Oklahoma!  I have returned to the MT field after many years as a teacher, and have recently re-taken my MT certification (I have a prior 2-year degree in the field from 1994.) I am currently searching for a position either from home or on-site.  Any advice? Thank you, Mary     ...

Creative Expander Use
Feb 15, 2010

Hi everyone, I use my expander to remember tons of phrases, medical terms, short words I use a lot, drug names, dates, and addresses.  I also know you can save whole documents as templates, too.  But I suspect there are lots of ways expanders are being used that I haven't even thought of.  Any creative MTs out there who can share some tips?  I use Instant Text, but ideas from any expander users would be fun to hear. ...

ASR Is Certainly Being Creative Today.
Aug 15, 2013

Missing a lot of text, and some text that would fit, using synonyms rather than the word dictated, and overall, just plain no good! And, there goes my line count. ...

Teacher Remarks And Down This Week *vent*
May 18, 2010

This has been a difficult MT week for me. I was having a really difficult time with a test I had to submit and asked for some direction from my teacher. She pointed out bluntly what I had wrong and chastized me in my thought process of how I came about the answer. I relistened, researched with her direction, and still was unsure. I vented my frustration saying that I was discouraged that maybe I was not cut out for MT, as my GPA is 90% 4 sessions away from graduation, and I was unsure about how ...

Creative Comments When Accepting
Mar 25, 2015

Like, I wonder if instead of just my initials and that I reviewed my error, I should try something like: "Yes I made a mistake, no I DON'T think my pay should go down by $100, how would you like it?" "How would you like it if you had to be perfect OR you got your pay docked?" "Yes, I willlfully accept my error, but I do NOT accept your wage theft." Of course, I am accepting their wage theft in reality by signing that and staying employed by the devil. Sigh. I doubt anyone cares what yo ...

MQ Deserves An Award For Creative Naming
Mar 18, 2010

for coming up with cutesy names like "First Time Right" for "we'd really like to get rid of QA" and things like that. ...

Ethics Question About A Life-threatening Issue Posed By Teacher
May 26, 2011

Hello everyone! I'm an MT student who doing a bit of research for one of my classes, and I wanted to ask some real MT's about this one. My teacher posed to us this question: "What if you were privy to information in the same setting of transcribing 2 different clinics who apparently have a shared client, and you found out something about the patient that you perceived as seriously potentially life threatening?  What if there was a medication prescribed in one contex ...

Class 2 Or Class II Tuberculosis (nm)
Dec 30, 2010

x ...

Whoever "Coder" Is, You Should Be A Coding Teacher!
Mar 21, 2012

I think I've learned more from you than from my actualy coding teachers and my school!  Just curious if you were an MT turned coder and where you received your education?  Thanks for all your informative and helpful posts! ...

No Laughing (hehe) How Do You Spell "ho?" Client Called Teacher A Sleazy "ho"?
Mar 17, 2010

ASA Class...
Dec 17, 2009

Roman numerals or arabic??? (ASA class 3 or class III) Thanks! ...

Class
Jun 28, 2010

I studied ALL WEEKEND and I think I am getting it.  It seems the more that you code the more that you understand.  I am excited about this class.  I have been a medical transcriptionist for many, many years and I want something different for a change.  Transcribing is getting old! ...

Anyone Who Took CareerStep Class
Nov 09, 2009

A friend of mine is taking the CareerStep class for MT (although I tried to talk her out of it).  Anyway she is in the transcription part, and using the disks that were supplied with the course.  How did you listen to and transcribe from this.  She put the disk in the disk drive of her computer, but there is no way to start/stop the dictation, etc. and I believe it would be very frustrating.  Or are we both missing something?  Did you use expresscribe or something and do ...

Webmedx CMT Class. Sm
Jan 09, 2010

Has any Webbies out there ever taken this class?  If so, would it be worth it?  Just curious before I sign up for it.  TIA. ...

How About That Anatomy Class?
Jun 29, 2010

"1 spray each nose daily."  Wonder how many people with more than 1 nose this doc has seen?  Do you leave it as is or change it to something less stupid? ...

Salary Class
Jun 16, 2010

on my pay it says salary class 40 what does that refer to? ...

Coding Class
Jun 19, 2010

I am taking a coding and billing course on-line and I am almost finished, but I am having trouble.  I just do not get it. I code and then find out it should have been a different code. I start in the alphabetical index and then check the tabular index, but there is also the E and V and everything. I have a hard time with the order of things. If anyone can help this poor soul it would be great. :-) ...

Mallampati Class
Jan 13, 2011

Is it Mallampati class 3 or would it be class III? ...

Help On A Class Of Medication
Nov 25, 2011

Doctor dictates patient is allergic to aspirin and s/l "Steff-ins." Is "Steff-ins" a class of a medicatiion?  I cannot document how it's spelled.  Thank you very much!! ...

Now, Class....Can Anyone Tell Me What Is Wrong Here? Sm
Dec 10, 2011

His CT of the head did not show dyspareunia. ...

PT Is Really A Second-class Citizen..sm
Jun 11, 2015

It used to be you were eligible for some benefits; even some companies had hospitalization.  Now we don't even get any holiday pay.  I swear, I will NEVER work another holiday unless it is absolutely unavoidable.  Just because I am now semi-retired and only work part time doesn't mean I am NOT making a viable contribution to your (now) lousy company. ...

Melon Paddy Class?
Dec 14, 2009

s/l melon paddy class Patient going in for fiberoptic bronchoscopy and bronchoaveloar lavage.  Doctor states, "The patient was consented and 'melon paddy class 2,' ASA class 2. I'm thinking this might be an acronym but can't find anything. ...

Class 1 Hill-Vall?
Feb 11, 2010

She has subsequently undergone upper GI endoscopy in August 2009 that demonstrated a class 1 "Hill-Vall" but no frank or severe esophagitis..... ...

Where Is The Class Action Lawyer?
Mar 03, 2010

There ought to be class action lawyers lined around the block to represent us!!! ...

UPDATE On HIPAA Class
Jun 04, 2010

Here's the latest in my inbox: "These classes will vary in topic and although we will strongly suggest you take some or all of the classes in the end that decision will be up to you. They will not be mandatory as previously communicated but strongly encouraged for any MLS who wants to continue their education and professional training. HIPAA is the first class we loaded into the system because of the new regulations which became effective in February.  Some of these regulations a ...

Angina Class III To III And A Half??
Aug 20, 2010

Has anyone come across this...dictator says...angina class III to III and a half.  Would that be the proper way of putting in report??? ...

Any Ex-DSGers Go To That Training Class Yet? (sm)
May 07, 2012

I'm curious as to why it takes almost all day... is it just training on DQS or other stuff, too? And is there is a break for lunch and are there periodic bathroom breaks? I'm dying to know! ...