Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

Have You Considered a Library Job? - KillerAngel

Posted: Feb 5th, 2020 - 3:30 pm In Reply to: motivation - groovy

Groovy, if you don't mind working outside your home, have you considered looking for a library job?

Several library jobs do not require a masters in library science or even any college degree. Granted, most jobs are part-time, and some pay only minimum wage (usually in smaller libraries), but you are up and moving around, especially if you are a shelver/page who obtains items for patrons or puts items away.

Circulation clerks usually make more than shelvers/pages. They work extensively with the public. Such experience could come in handy in terms of finding higher paying/full-time jobs that require that skill set. Both shelver and clerk jobs require attention to detail and are process oriented.

If you are a reader and especially if you have mom skills (dealing with children), you may also be eligible to be a librarian assistant. This is the next step up on the pay scale. In my area, the libraries are always looking for assistants in the kids' rooms and/or teen rooms.

Working at the library allows you to be part of something if isolation at home is getting to you. Plus, library people are generally nice to work with.

Now I acknowledge that part-time and minimum to somewhat above minimum wage may not sound appealing, but it is steady work, you may have prorated benefits in terms of paid vacation/paid sick hours, and I think you'll find it easier to stay focused on your MT job when you come home to it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)