Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

Staying focused sm. - FlaMT

Posted: Feb 5th, 2020 - 2:23 pm In Reply to: General question about motivation: I consider myself - a veteran of the MT profession,

I, too, am an IC and have been for my entire long MT working life. I have quite a ways to go before retirement myself, though. I can really relate to your post. It's a lot of feast or famine, roller coaster paychecks, worrying about enough work day to day, bills, etc.

What keeps me motivated is when I periodically peruse the job boards, local classifieds, Craig's list, etc., and see what's available out there in the working world in my neck of the woods and it's always slim pickings. Jobs around here are mostly part time and the full-time jobs don't pay too well. For now, it still remains cost effective for me to continue to work out of the house, even with the slow IC work weeks at times after factoring certain things in. That is one thing that keeps me motivated.

The other thing that motivates me is hearing my family and friends talk about their job hassles, office politics, driving/traffic, favoritism, personality clashes, etc., that they experience on a daily basis. Knowing I don't have to deal with any of those things at the moment keeps me focused and motivated.

The days I'm slammed with work, I just really make myself focus and take advantage, knowing I'll have other days where I hardly have any work, and then I think about the lack of local jobs around here and that helps to keep me on track.

To sum it up, the pros of working as an IC from home still outweigh the cons for me (at least for now), so I'll continue doing what I'm doing (and that's really what continues to keep me motivated, even on my total burnout days).

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)