Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

New MTs

Congratulations! - BadRabbit

Posted: Mar 27th, 2018 - 9:59 pm In Reply to: Understood - msish86

Nicely done Newbie! Not everyone hates MT and not everyone has been abused. I love MT and was never abused. I have changed hats in the last 2 years due to department changes with my employer but still in the medical field and still with the same employer. Every now and then I still get to do a little transcription too. However, there are many, many MTSOs that are abusive in their practices and ludicrous in their pay scales. Newbies make little enough while they learn accounts and build speed and proficiency. Couple that with a slave-wage line rate and you have a recipe for discouragement. In reality, the number of overworked, underpaid, micromanaged MTs far outnumber the satisfied, well paid, happy MTs.

If you have the ability to work on site at a hospital or physician's office, I would suggest going that route. The face-to-face contact makes it more difficult for you to be treated as disposable, and the pay is often much better. When I went from remote to onsite, I made substantially more money in less time (more than double in 1/2 the time). You also tend to get a steady diet of the same providers which allows you to become familiar with them and translates to more efficient transcription. MTSOs have a tendency to move MTs just when they hit their stride on an account.

Truly rewarding MT work is out there but finding it is fairly difficult. There are also some excellent MTSOs out there, but you don't know if you are getting the good or the bad until you have worked with them.

The advice given here in this thread regarding using MT to springboard you into another career path is solid. Even with an excellent employer, the MT path is only so wide and can only take you so far. It doesn't hurt anything to get out there and see how you like it though.

I would also suggest that you develop a thick skin and professional demeanor when dealing with criticism. You will get plenty; some valid, some undeserved, and some just plain malicious. If the criticism or negative feedback is work related just assume that the person supplying it doesn't express themselves well and doesn't intend to make you feel badly. That may not actually be the case, but you will feel better about it in the long run.

Good luck to you on your new path. I hope that it is every thing you imagine it can be. If you have any specific questions I would be happy to share any knowledge I have.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)