Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board Today's Top Viewed: Soft Script.. (Views: 61)

Coding as a career choice. - MTfor years

Posted: Jan 14th, 2018 - 2:15 pm In Reply to: really not trying to be happy about it - sm

I completed the coding course through CareerStep. I started with the ICD-9 and was caught in the middle of the transition to ICD-10. I absolutely abhored the change in how to code operative notes. Trying to call the school for answers was a waiting game, and my frustration level rose.

I started researching coding jobs and discovered that the same exact production requirements existed as it does for MT work: perfection, quota and hurry up and do your job. Does that sound familiar? I was not willing to make a lateral move into the same stress mode. I decided to stay as an MT and get the same headache everyday, at least I knew the material and had some level of sanity.

I have noticed that docs are dictating time spent on the patient and level of office visit. Those are key items for coding. Have you noticed that the doctors in the last year have been telling you exactly how many review of systems was checked, 14 points, 12 points or ALL of the review of systems? Again, those are key terms used to code the level of care provided which equates to reimbursement. Those can be picked up by a computer program. I am sure some programmer is working on that specific item to sell to the hospitals in the near future, if it isn't already being done so.

Hospitals have managed to eliminate transcription departments. This obviously worked. The next obvious choice will be coding. Any department with a large manpower source always gets eliminated until it becomes too problematic, then they look for the next gizmo to do the job.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)