Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

M*Modal

Information is faulty - and should not be applied to HCD

Posted: Jul 20th, 2016 - 9:41 am In Reply to: Seems to be by design... - anon

That is not new and the overall idea has been around for decades, though I have never seen it applied to healthcare documentation, and for one good reason: In this field, experience actually counts and that article could not be more wrong. I absolutely agree with you.

There actually are many professional fields where you can get by with, even benefit from, fresh talented graduates with new ideas, who will be able to hit the ground running and excel in a different way from your more experienced employees. There are minimum wage fields where you don't even need a high school education to do just fine and the managers will be barely out of high school themselves. So maybe this type of thinking works well for a majority of other fields, but this field is not one of them.

Anyway, the ideas expressed here have been around for as long as I can remember. In fact, I actually got a job once in an entirely different field partly because I had no prior experience and they didn't want to have to "untrain" me of bad habits.

Does not work in healthcare documentation. It's a fact, and as long as they promote supervisors from within and/or continue to hire former MTs into positions of management, there is no chance of losing sight of this.

As far as that article, which hopefully was published someplace too obscure to be noticed by very many, only 1 or 2 points applied to our field. Other than that, any of us with more than a few years experience can immediately spot how it is actually exactly the opposite.

Experience really is key here, and you're right, they will learn the hard way if they pursue this course. More so than most industries, this is a field where it is difficult to find a job right out of school because it is so well known how long it really takes to make you valuable. We all got lucky and found someone to take a chance on us, but then we faced a steeper learning curve than we ever anticipated. We were slow. We made mistakes we weren't even aware we were making unless someone was 100% reviewing our work. Even now I have a tiny contract in addition to my job at MM, and I have a subcontractor with 8 years of experience doing the work, but who has not done MT work in a decade, and I review everything 100% and fix at least a fourth as much as I do in Fluency. She has a great grasp of grammar but she is just rusty and there are terms and an ear for dictation that only come with time and experience and nothing else. She is also somewhat lacking in being detail oriented, and this is another skill that builds with time, when you get so good that you can much more easily recognize when something is "off."

To be valuable now is to be fast and accurate, and that takes time and a whole lot of experience to build. Hours and hours and hours of time devoted to this, over years and years, will eventually turn you into a pretty darn good MT.

Why do they think we are so angry about pay?!

The rest of that article is sheer BS. This field is exactly the opposite. Every one of us has enough experience to work with the newest technology just by training when we initially change to a new company. THAT is not an issue. There is simply NO advantage whatsoever to being right out of school in this field. You will know vastly more about the BOS, etc., after years of using it, than you will the day you graduate, so that is just silly. You will know vastly more about how to "hear" different accents, when to abbreviate, when to capitalize, how to format, etc, after many years, with lightning quick speed as opposed to the time it takes early on to try to work all of these things out. How hard is it to learn to Google search for terms? And in fact, the more experienced you are, the faster that goes because you have more of a clue about what you might be hearing to base your search on.

I know I am preaching to the choir here. But that article is absolutely ridiculous, and I hope no one is actually taking it seriously. Again, if a company has former MTs in the higher up positions to advise on these things, they will recognize it immediately for what it is. Otherwise, good luck to them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)