Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Coding / Medical Billing

electronic coding - smh

Posted: Jul 4th, 2016 - 11:26 am In Reply to: Sorry that it didn't work out for you, but you are - misinformed about jobs.

If you ask a nurse or check-out person at the office where I work, they will also tell you that coding is now done electronically. What they don't tell you is that we have only certified coders in the billing office because those electronic codes are frequently incorrect.

Our doctors mark a fee ticket with the E/M code and the diagnoses codes populate in the chart when the physician selects the diagnosis. From the perspective of those not in the billing office, that's all there is to it; however, before we can bill each claim to the insurance, we have to verify that the doctor marked the correct service code (they frequently mark consults on Medicare patients and as a coder, we know that is not acceptable). Sometimes, they will chose a diagnosis that requires an additional diagnosis code or they will choose an unspecified code or possibly choose two codes (nausea and vomiting) when one code covers both.

If these claims are sent to the insurance and denied, the doctor or the computer are not knowledgeable enough with coding guidelines to correct them.

Most of the doctor's offices in my area have at least one certified coder on staff for this very reason.

I was a transcriptionist for 17 years before moving to coding and I have no worries at all about coding going down the path that transcription did. They are completely different. For one thing, coding guidelines change far too often for technology to keep up. By the time the systems get updated, it's time to update them again.

I'm sorry if you had a bad experience with your school, but there is no need to "warn" everyone that the coding profession is doomed based on the input of a few office workers not even involved in the coding/billing process.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)