Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Nuance

The OOW thing has become somewhat - amorphous I think

Posted: Jun 26th, 2016 - 9:19 am In Reply to: How to handle OOW - sm

If you read the directive, we are supposed to be pretty strict. When you email the OOW thing your work schedule for the day "will be considered completed."

And if you want to flex you are supposed to submit a specific email request for a flexible schedule and wait for a return email before you go on again.

Umm, yeah, right, like that will happen on a Sunday morning, really? Lickety split for sure. I have never EVER received any kind of response from anyone from OOW, but I do realize different platforms and/or TSMs may be different.

The sternest thing it says is we "may NOT" report back for work that day without permission to do so by your manager and also for the formal "flexible schedule request."

BUT, on the other hand, I have had the same old veiled suggestions in emails from my TSM or the TSM on call anyway to "hop on if you had NSA earlier" so I am guessing that is a tacit form of acceptance of the way it used to be - if there is work on the system and you want to make up time no one is going to stop you.

Nowadays I do not submit the OOW unless I want the rest of the day off because usually there is work on there right away, it is just a very short amount of no work - at least on my platform. I imagine right after Christmas, when I am very broke, that will be different (of course), but for now unless I see a real dry spell of work I just try again in a minute or two without doing the OOW email thing.

Otherwise, once I leave the desk and do anything else it is so very hard to get my fat butt back into that chair that I end up either working into the night OR taking the OOW and not getting paid for those hours, neither of which option is desirable.

So basically I would just pretty much ignore the OOW instructions (no doubt written by some tech geek who has no idea, as per usual, or worse yet an "executive" who just wants to cut costs and does not have the best interests of the MT or the facility at heart) and do it the way we always have. If there's work and you want to, do it, if not not.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)