Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

My thoughts - anotherMT

Posted: Mar 8th, 2016 - 5:47 pm In Reply to: My kids - Blahmt

If you are feeling burnt out after 8 years, you will feel even worse as time goes on. MT/VR work is not a job that brings in good income like it did years ago. You indicate that you are at your desk "all day and all night". So, your kids are not seeing much of their mom anyway.

IMO, start looking for another job right away. You will find a way to make things work for your family. Kids are super resilient.

You might find a college student who could watch your children during the summer hours. College students often take less course hours during the summer months and in recent years have had less options for summer jobs. This might be a budget item, but it could be less expensive than using day camps.

Maybe you could find a stay-at-home-mom that you could barter time with -- she could watch your children some hours during your work hours and you could do something for her that she needs done or does not like to do (grocery shopping, watch her children for date nights, going to the gym, etc.).

If you are not a single parent, you could try a 2nd of 3rd shift job, or a shift opposite the other parent, and this would lessen the need for a sitter for your children.

At least, you might find something else besides transcription/VR that does not take up so many hours in a day.

Trust me when I tell you this, the older you get, the harder it will be to start another career. There really is age discrimination in the workplace. You don't have to put your birth date on a resume or application, during an interview, an employer can usually guess your age within a certain range.

You might even consider temp services. Your could be more flexible with your job choices and hours. You could work a job and then take off a couple of weeks before taking on the next assignment. People often end up with permanent positions when working with a temp service. They often pay well and offer benefits. You can even try various job categories and you might find something you never thought of doing.

Hope all works out for you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)