Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

Another question - Old Timer

Posted: Oct 15th, 2015 - 11:02 pm In Reply to: I would not want a scribe in my exam room and I'm - sure there is a way to refuse that - yuk

Your comment interested me. I am not sure why you would have a problem with a scribe in the room. The hospital certainly would have provided basic orientation about hospital procedures, etc., and most definitely instruction about confidentiality, patient privacy, etc.

The scribe would be in uniform, well groomed with good hygiene, expected to behave toward you in a respectful, professional and sensitive manner, and above all is subject to the same laws and ethical standards as every other hospital employee in that room! Whydo you assume that the hospital, the doctor, and the nurses taking care of you would permit anything else?

Also, certainly I would think you would want an accurate and detailed medical record maintained by a professional whose job it is to ensure that medical record is complete and accurate.

But okay, this is how you feel, and you're the patient.

Here's my question:

Assume I have many years of acute care transcribing which I do, which should be more than enough to enable me to be a competent scribe, and I am genuinely bringing a needed skill into your examination room.

What would you want of me so that my presence would lead you to regard me as a valuable part of the team taking care of you, and not as an unwashed ignorant outsider, knowing nothing, invading your hospital room just to embarrass and traumatize you with my unnecessary and unwelcome presence?

Still, please forgive me for scolding you, but perhaps it would be wisest just to rethink this, that the scribe is only there for your benefit and protection, it is in your best interest to have someone there, especially in the era of as yet unperfected voice recognition, to ensure that the doctor's orders are recorded and carried out accurately, the findings on physical exam, diagnostic studies, and diagnoses are recorded accurately, so that so that a serious, even fatal, mistake does not occur or you are erroneously billed for expensive treatments you did not undergo.

ADVERTISEMENT

Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)