Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

Question about scribing - Old Timer

Posted: Oct 15th, 2015 - 9:28 pm In Reply to: I am a scribe also - love it

For the past few years, I have luckily been able to work for myself but now two of my doctors, who generated most of my income, have retired, and I must either replace them or find something else. I know for certain I do not want to go to work for one of these companies, and I am also quite certain I never want to work with VR again. So I read your comments with interest as I am wondering if branching out into scribing might be a great way to end my working career as I only have a few years left until I can retire. By the way, I was amused to see that there are some who think it would be just awful to have a scribe in the room, not realizing this is the way this career began. Before the advent of sophisticated dictation equipment, or even after this, in smaller hospitals, the physician's secretary would accompany him on his rounds and transcribe his comments in shorthand on the fly, and then later type them up. Back when I was first being trained, some of MTs who were close to retirement had actually worked this way at the beginning of their careers! Anyway, to finally get to my question, would there be a problem with tucking a handheld recording device into a pocket and switching it as a back-up to pen/paper or laptop? Would this even be practical? Court reporters record as well as transcribe court proceedings as extra insurance to maintain accuracy, and they are, after all, the experts at transcribing accurately real time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)