A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

pseudomonas pneumonia - tatter

Posted: Jun 15, 2012

If "pseudomonas pneumonia" was dictated just like that, how would you transcribe it?  Pseudomonas or pseudomonas?

Capitalization - rt

[ In Reply To ..]
"Pseudomonas" is a genus name. A genus name is capitalized only when it is followed by a species name, e.g., Pseudomonas aeruginosa. In this case, there was not mention of a species name, so it should not be capitalized unless at beginning of sentence.

pseudomonas pneumonia - tatter

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you, I typed it "pseudomonas pneumonia" and got corrected by QA that it was wrong and got points. What do you do when you get QA'd to do it wrong?

Questioning QA - rt

[ In Reply To ..]
I would think a dedicated QA would welcome questioning. Who QA's the QA? There should be a policy regarding disagreements, just for the sake of achieving quality documentation. I do QA at a small rural hospital and would welcome input, even if it were to prove me erroneous. I think I would ask to speak to someone higher in charge.

Ask them for the reference pointing to their way of doing it - Happy MT Robin

[ In Reply To ..]
If it were me, I would go back to QA and say basically what the first reply here said about the genus name, etc. Then I would say "since my report was corrected to show otherwise, would you please show me where to find this in the reference material so that I can make a note of this in my notes for future reference."

I always phrase it that I want to know so I can make myself better. That way you're not being really in their face about it, but asking them for independent verification of why they did it.

It's always possible that QA was thinking along the lines of Pneumococcal pneumoniae which is why they changed it from how you had it.

Have documentation at the ready to back up your statements and don't get really argumentative about it, just be very matter of fact.

Good luck!

Similar Messages:

HELP!! Pseudomonas Or Pseudomonas
Jan 08, 2010

Hi, I need help ASAP- working on infectious disease reports that are a mess. Is pseudomonas and enterococccus capped when it stands by itself? How about lactobacillus? I thought the genus was uncapped unless followed by a species as in Enterococcus cloacae. Please let me know ASAP the correct way as this is a very picky ID doc- thanks in advance ...

Morphotypes Of Pseudomonas
Sep 18, 2012

something that s/l "nato" morphotypes of pseudomonas in urine culture. Thank you!! ...

Septicemia Due To Pseudomonas With Septic Shock
Nov 16, 2013

I get 038.43 and 785.52, but why do I have to code the 041.7 for the Pseudomonas infection when I just coded it as a combo code for the septicemia? ...

Pneumonia
Jun 09, 2010

The doctor sounds like she is saying bilobular pneuomina but i am not sure if that is the correct term.  Can anyone help? :) ...

Is Pneumonia Ever Abbreviated As PNA?
Mar 15, 2011

It definitely sounds like she's saying PNA but we are not supposed to use abbreviations in diagnoses and according to the rest of the report, the patient has pneumonia. Or is this an abbreviation for a kind of pneumonia?   Any help would be appreciated.     ...

Rhodococcus Pneumonia
Apr 12, 2012

ESL dictator stating patient direct admit for rhodococcus pneumonia by ID Dr. All i can find for this is rhodococcus pneumonia in horses.  Any ideas if this is correct?  Thanks! ...

Pneumonia Versus Pneumonias
Nov 09, 2010

Is pneumonias a valid plural form? I can't find it in any dictionaries. ...

MRSA S/l Coriko Causing The Pneumonia
Feb 11, 2011

Elderly patient who has MRSA pneumonia except that she doesn't. After listing MRSA in the discharge diagnosis, doc says, "It is unlikely that MRSA was the main s/l coriko causing the pneumonia." Then he says, "At this point, patient will have corondaysation/comondaysation with MRSA." Help, please?? ...

...treatment Of An Ileus/MRSA (s/l Cafeteria) Pneumonia.
Jul 13, 2012

nm ...

Arthrocentesis With "i-slits" Of MRSA And Pseudomonas.
Jul 13, 2012

Pseudomonas And "morzilla" Infection (nm)
Nov 17, 2009

x ...

S/L "florid" Left Lower Lobe Pneumonia.sm TIA!
Aug 24, 2011

Pt recovering from left lower lobe pneumonia. S/L "florid" left lower lobe infiltrate ...

"cocci" Pneumonia-sm
Sep 16, 2010

How is this correctly transcribed? ?Coccidioides (the patient does have a sputum culture positive for C. immitis).  ?coccidioidal Help, please.  ...