A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

hallux as a thumb? - thanks

Posted: Sep 02, 2013

I know the hallux is the big toe, but can it also be used for the thumb?  The doc is doing a carpal tunnel release and CMC arthroplasty and states "this gave us very good position of the first metacarpal and *hallux* nicely in place."  It is very clearly *hallu*, but sounds like it may have a T at the end.  Hallut?  I have never heard this and can't verify it.  

hallux as a thumb? - tristan

[ In Reply To ..]
Well . . . there was an NCIS episode years ago that would confirm this, for what it's worth. The victim on the autopsy table had had his hallux removed from his foot and sewn onto his hand (while alive) -- in fact, this helped identify him ;-). The Medical Examiner first questioned why his assistant had placed it on the hand (body arrived in parts), then used it along with other forensic evidence to identify the guy. The hallux was said to be helpful in the place of a lost thumb and, presumably, more important than as the big toe. Fictional anecdotal evidence, but yes, I've heard of it. ;-D

Similar Messages:

Hallux Valgus Deformity
Jun 07, 2011

Is it possible for a doctor to list this as HUV deformity and not HV deformity?   ...

Podiatry Help, Hammertoe Deformity With Painful Plantar HVK (hallux Valgus What?) Sm
Jan 14, 2010

I could be wrong on the *K* in the HVK but sounds pretty clear.  ...

ESL Rule Of Thumb
Nov 17, 2011

As American-born, English-speaking doctors are becoming the minority, I think all companies should openly state what percentage of ESL will be encountered in a new job and then ask 1 year of experience for each percentage of ESL; e.g. 40% ESL (the maximum I can personally tolerate) 4 years experience plus a differential in the line rate, too. What do y'all think? ...

Thumb Junctions
Jan 14, 2013

Patient has a 3 x 2 cm laceration at s/l glabber's and nonglabber's junctions of the thumb. I have no idea and have looked around for various sound variations, glabber, glavver, gleiver?? I am coming up with nothing. TIA! ...

Patient With Mass On The Thumb. Please Sm.
Oct 17, 2009

It was explained to the patient that if in the future this should become painful, bothersome or if it becomes s/l systetically unpleasing to him, we could resect the osteophyte.  Definitely does not sound like cosmetically.  Thanks for any help ...

Pink Thumb - Orthopedics
Jul 28, 2010

Anyone ever heard of pink thumb?  Her thumb started to pink up and she has numbness in her thumb, completely, with pink thumb with an area of ecchymosis  Thanks. ...

Thumb Pad Lac, Doc Anesthetized The S/l Plasun
Mar 01, 2012

repair of a laceration on thumb pad.  Doc said he anesthetized the s/l plasun...  Can find no reference...  Help!   TIA ...

Thumb And Small Finger Pain And Swelling.
Apr 08, 2015

Curious if anyone else has started having base of thumb and small finger pain and swelling since doing ASR for the past many years? ...

Right Hallux Valgus Correction Utilizing "prox-extenic" Osteotomy And Distal Soft Tissue P
May 07, 2011

nm ...

X-ray Of The Thumb Reveals __(he Is Either Saying Nice Alignment Or Maintenance Alignment Of The Thu
Aug 28, 2010

TIA ...

S/l "as Proper" Tendon Towards The Thumb.
Mar 05, 2014

Examination revealed a large superficial mass in the dorsal radial aspect of the hand at the level of the "as proper" tendon towards the thumb. ...

Thumb "C&C" Repair?
Mar 11, 2010

At least I think that's what he's saying. It doesn't sound like CNC.  Can't find either...Thanks! ...

S/l "thumb" Test...see More
Aug 01, 2010

Musculoskeletal:  Exam reveals paraspinal muscle spasm in the lumbar area.  Straight leg raising is negative.  "Thumb" test is positive on the left side.  she does have intact reflexes. ...