A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

a correction I got - swimdivemom

Posted: Jan 22, 2015

This is a correction and a reply that I got today:  

I typed:  His dialysis and primary care doctor are at Keck USC.  

Correction:  His dialysis and primary care doctor is at Keck USC.  

I questioned this correction and here is the answer I got:  "The correction appears to me to be correct.  It should be a singular verb.  "Doctor" is a singular noun.  Implies that the dialysis and primary doc is one and the same." 

Am I off my rocker?   Shouldn't it be "are"?

is/are - Effie

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree with you.

If his dialysis doctor and primary care doctor... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
...are one and the same (i.e., Dr Smith is a dialysis and primary care doctor), then "is" would be correct in this instance. If, however, there are 2 doctors, then "are" would be correct.

correction I got - swimdivemom

[ In Reply To ..]
But it didn't say that "Dr. Smith is a dialysis and primary care doctor," - that would make sense to me. The sentence has 2 different nouns, the dialysis center and the doctor, which to me requires "are". I would like to see where this rule is written as I cannot find it.

is vs. are - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
The reason they corrected it is because the subject -- doctor -- is singular.

You don't know if his dialysis doctor and primary care doctor are the same person or two separate people, so you have to go by the subject of the sentence.

Basic grammar here, folks.

mmm...no - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree that if the dialysis doctor and PCP are one and the same, then "is" would be correct. It has nothing to do with the subject. One could say: Her dance (instructor) and voice instructor are in Boston. If the dance and voice instructor were the same person, "is" would be correct. Unless QA knows who the doctor(s) is/are, it is simply arbitrary for them to correct "are" to "is."

I agree it should be "are." I take the sentence to - QA Weenies!

[ In Reply To ..]
mean that both the patient's dialysis and primary care doctor ARE at the same facility.

It's basic subject and verb agreement here. You have two subjects and so your verb MUST be plural.

agree - swimdivemom

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree, there are 2 subjects which require a plural verb.

Subject/verb agreement - Midnite Rider

[ In Reply To ..]
At first glance, there appear to be 2 subjects but not really. If there were 2 different physicians involved, the sentence would have said, "His dialysis and primary care doctors," so I have to agree that the sentence implies that the dialysis and primary care doctor are one and the same, and the sentence would take "is." If the dictator did not mean that the dialysis and primary care doctor were one and the same, then he/she should have worded the sentence differently. Maybe the rest of the report sheds some light on that.

Verb correction - swimdivemom

[ In Reply To ..]
if the sentence would have Ben dictated correctly, what he dictator was talking about was that both the patient's PCP and dialysis are both at the same institution, and not that both his dialysis doc and PCP are one and the same. His dialysis center and his PCP are at the same place.

Herein lies the problem - you assume upon reading - QA Weenies!

[ In Reply To ..]
the sentece that the dictator is referring to a doctor or doctors being at the same facility. I assume that the dictator means the patient gets their dialysis and sees their primary care doctor at the same faciltiy.

Since the dictator did not say "His dialysis doctor and primary care doctor..." nor did the dictator say "His dialysis and primary care doctors...", the correct assumption would be that the dicator is talking about two different subjects, i.e. the medical treatment of dialysis and seeing the primary care doctor. Therefore, the plural form of the correct verb should be used.

Your correction - anonie

[ In Reply To ..]
When I had English and Grammar, you thought of this as two things so it would be they are. I am having problems with this type of thing is vs are and was vs were, etc. I think they have changed English yet another time at least the way it is taught.

So you are not the only one who has noticed this. You also have an and in there so it can't be is because this indicates more than one.

Similar Messages:

Correction, Correction, Correction
May 17, 2014

A million times throughout the report.  How do you keep you keep your sanity or make a decentl living with all these dictators?   ...

Does Anyone Do VR That Requires Very Little Correction (sm)
Nov 28, 2011

or does VR generally require a lot of corrections?  Is one platform better than another?  I have done just a little bit of VR on EditScript and for the most part it requires very, very few corrections.  ...

Timecard Correction
Nov 26, 2013

I forgot to clock out today and can't remember how to fix that in time schedule or whatever it is called.  Anyone remember? ...

Overpaid--ASR Rate Correction
Jan 25, 2010

How many others got notified that they've been overpaid for ASR lines, and as of Jan 1 the rate is going to be put back to 60% of the transcription base rate. Supposedly they found this during a recent audit? How does this company stay in business??? ...

CORRECTION To Previous Post
Sep 29, 2012

The company I saw an ad for was Administrative "Assistance"  (out of Michigan) - not Administrative "Associates" - my mistake! ...

Do QCs Get Penalized For Correction Reversals?
Oct 15, 2014

Just had 5 corrections reversed because a QC misunderstood the account specs. How do they get penalized for their mistakes? ...

If Only I Was Paid By The Correction. I Would Be Rich!
Mar 14, 2015

And for every correction I make, IT should be docked for their shameful performance. ...

Anyone Out There Heard New Lowered Pay For MTs Is A Market Correction?
Sep 21, 2010

Pay has been cut by 25%, told we are lucky to have a job, that we have easy accounts,  and that our pay is a "market correction". That's encouragement from an employer! ...

Trending And Correction Report Percentage
Oct 26, 2014

Has anyone figured out how the h____ this new trending and correction report percentage is working on Fiesa. Are they cherry picking the most difficult doctors to audit and skipping over the physicians that would balance the percentage score. That thing is so skewed, I cannot figure out for the life of me what it is suppose to reveal. It is totally biased against the MLS from what I can understand. ...

Right Hallux Valgus Correction Utilizing "prox-extenic" Osteotomy And Distal Soft Tissue P
May 07, 2011

nm ...

Can QA Fairly Be Called "correction"?
Sep 11, 2012

Recently a guy from the state called asking if the MTSO regularly "corrects" MT work. The answer is... what is the answer? I mean, an MT corrects their own work, to the best of their ability. If you get stumped on some bad audio or weird name or medication or medical term and Google fails, Word Help board fails, you send it to QA, and they try to fill in the final blanks. But is that really "correction"? Because the MT (if they aren't slacking and/or incompetent) knew they didn't kno ...

I Think He's Used The Word "correction" More Than He
Apr 09, 2012

I'm going nuts.  Fortunately I don't get this guy often, but it's 11 minutes of him dictating and correcting himself and starting his thoughts over again.  Aaaaagggghhhh!!!!!   Whew!!  Thanks.  I just had to get that off my chest.  My cats are tired of hearing me shout.   And no, he's NOT an ESL . ...