A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Sponge, lap, needle, instrument count - Really Stupid Question

Posted: Oct 15, 2010

What does "lap" stand for?  Thanks.

It stands for laparotomy pad. - Olive

[ In Reply To ..]
n

I thought it was laparotomy sponge ??? - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Lap Sponge or Pad - HappyMt

[ In Reply To ..]
Both are correct.
http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/laparotomy+pad

Similar Messages:

S/l Pax Needle/packs Needle
Feb 10, 2015

Needle Tip Bovie Electrocautery Or Needle Tipped Bovie E...
Jun 10, 2011

tip or tipped -- am I sensitive or nitpicked? ...

Black Sponge Used In I&D
Jul 23, 2011

Anyone ever typed a black sponge in surgery?  I listened for "lap" and "lac" but I really hear "black."   Context:  "We took another rim of skin about a centimeter wider inferiorly until it bled well, as well.  This was controlled with electrocautery.  The area was then pulse-irrigated.  A medium size black sponge was placed over top of this.  The more tangential excision was covered with a wound VAC, sponge that had been tangentially shaven in half, and the entire area activated after ...

Clorox *---* Sponge
May 12, 2013

The right hand and forearm were prescrubbed with a Clorox **** sponge and then prepped and draped in the usual sterile fashion. ...

S/l Sponge Tick
May 21, 2015

The hernia was reduced back into the abdomen with the help of a sponge s/l tick.   ...

Thoracocentesis - "scout" Needle?? "scalt" Needle?
Sep 07, 2011

x ...

Positioning Sponge Breast Surgery
Nov 01, 2009

The patient had some ___ sponge for positioning and light pressure. She was placed in a surgical bra.  s/l reston, restilon, ressalon.. . think it begins with an R but not sure.  This is breast reconstructive surgery.  ...

Cotta Or Cottle Wound Vac Sponge?
Jun 08, 2015

And is that wound-VAC or wound-vac. Thanks.  Nothing online or in surgical reference. ...

S/l Ovolinqual Sponge, Opthalmology/scleral Buckle
Aug 07, 2013

Mushmouth eye doc says 3 x 5 s/l Ovolinqual sponge.  Can find nothing vaguely resembling; any ideas for next time? ...

You Know Those Little Black Sponge Pads That Go Over The Round Type Headsets??.....
Sep 13, 2011

Does anyone know where to get GOOD quality ones?  I've been suckered TWICE by buying them online---they are these little thin things that break every single time before I can get them over the ear piece.   The only ones I've found so far that are good are the ones that come with the headset, but I don't want to buy a new headset every time I just need new pads.  I'd be so appreciative for advice on where to get good quality ones.  TIA!!!  ...

GYN Instrument
Nov 23, 2009

A s/l BRIDE-SKI was used to locate the anterior lip of the vagina. ...

Instrument Name
Apr 20, 2010

This is a vasectomy.  The (s/l toppif) ____ was then used to isolate the vas within the scrotal tissue and the vas was delivered through a 5-mm incision.  TIA ...

OB/GYN Instrument
Dec 15, 2010

The ovary was manipulated with S/L paddle grasper, which was used through a right lower quadrant port site.... Thank you in advance. ...

ENT Instrument
Apr 19, 2013

The punctum wre dilated and the ...

Ophthalmologic Instrument
Dec 29, 2009

Anyone familiar with a Baron or Byron punch used in an eye surgery to punch a button in donor tissue.  Tried google MT - no luck. ...

Name Of Surgical Instrument
Apr 27, 2010

Has anyone heard of a mohorner ? He is doing a left thyroid lobectomy and says:  A mohorner was then utilized in order to create exposure with the midline strap muscles incised longitudinally.    ...

Surgical Instrument?
Nov 26, 2010

orthopedic surgeon dictating "we did a subacromial bursectomy with a 4.3 mm Couda/Cooda?" ...

Orthopedic Instrument Help
Feb 07, 2011

The sentence is "There was some chondral debris in the suprapatellar pouch that we carefully evacuated with a shutter".  Clearly sounds like shutter but I can't find this anywhere.  ...

Instrument S/l Malibolt?
Jul 21, 2011

It's a pericardial drainage surgery report and doc says, "A Mali bolt/Malibolt was used to retract the peritoneum and preperitoneal fat." Definitely sounds like 3 syllables. Any suggestions? Thanks. ...

Can Anyone Remember An Instrument
Mar 27, 2013

TIA ...

Cartier Surgical Instrument
Oct 10, 2011

I am doing a Da Vinci robot assisted surgical procedure and it sounds like they are using a cartier (card-e-air) instrument...spelling anyone?  Thanks!! ...

Surgical Instrument Names
Aug 05, 2013

Has anyone ever heard of faceless scissors?  or "bi-see" forceps? ...

Instrument To Remove Ganglionic Fluid?
Nov 12, 2010

I apologize for the rough s/l, hoping someone will know what it is....   ganglionic synovial fluid, which I then removed with a s/l"renejure" ...

Instrument S/l Cry-coke To Elevate Trachea-sm
Jul 07, 2011

Patient is having a tracheostomy. ...

Ine Count Program That Works With Word And Doesn't Count Blank Lines?
Feb 18, 2012

Does anyone know of a line count program that works with Word and doesn't count blank lines? ...

Abdominal Procedure-OB/GYN S/l P Care Instrument - Any Ideas?
Aug 08, 2012

XX ...

Knee Arthroscopy Sounds Like Surfak For This Instrument
Sep 20, 2013

Physician says what sounds like Surfak for this instrument, Using a medial portal, the _____ instrument was introduced into the medial compartment for synovectomy for chondroplasty of the medial compartment,  ...

Can Anyone Document - Explorer Endometrial Biopsy Instrument
Mar 17, 2014

Line Count - Is MTStars Flash Count And/or Abacus Equivocal
Feb 27, 2010

I usually use the line count built into the Word program itself.  Is MTStars flash count and/or abacus equivocal ??  Any one program better than the other ??  TIA ...

Lukay Or Lookay Ring Instrument Used For Spinal Surgery (sm)
Dec 06, 2010

sounds like lookey or lukey..can't find anywhere.  TIA ...