A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Ostiomeatal complex (or unit) versus osteomeatal complex - Smalls

Posted: Feb 15, 2010

I do transcription for radiologists, and this comes up quite often.  Is it osteomeatal complexes with an "e" or ostiomeatal complexes with an "i"?  Sometimes they say ostiomeatal "units" instead of complexes.  These rads use Dragon, so I'm only proofreading and editing their reports, and it comes to me spelled in both ways, even from the same rad.  Any help here fellow MTs?

In this case, Osteomeatal complexex, with an E......nm - Cyndiee

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

ostiomeatal unit (OMU)/ostiomeatal complex - See Message

[ In Reply To ..]
Per Current Medical Terminology (Vera Pyle)

ostiomeatal - denoting the opening of the auditory, nasal, or urinary meatus. The word does not have anything to do with osteo (bone)

It's been a bit since I've done radiology but I've always done it ostiomeatal!

Per Stedman's ENT and others, OMU= osteomeatal complex, still use my books all the time - Cyndiee

[ In Reply To ..]
they have never failed me in 25 years, I still love my huge Dorlands and all the Stedmans and others, just saying, that is what I referrence, I don't post without looking up if not sure

interesting, my Stedman's ENT has "ostiomeatal" - jj

[ In Reply To ..]
there is no osteomeatal at all.
Same here in my Stedman's ENT . . . ostiomeatal - Sunshine State MT
[ In Reply To ..]
x

My Stedman's ENT has ostiomeatal complex, stent, unit? - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

"ostio" is a root word meaning "passage, opening." - Anon2

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

Please see msg. regarding an old MT's take on this....sm - Cyndiee

[ In Reply To ..]
Okay, besides the book thing, I did work two very large hospital radiology, diagnostic imaging, and nuclear medicine departments. The radiologists of both big hospitals told us "meatus means opening, too, so osteomeatal in this circumstance means a "bony" (osteo) opening (meatus), as they are looking at the nasal structure, the nasal passages, and are looking at the openings between the turbinates, septum and nasal passage, etc. to diagnose sinus pathology. But I can also reference ostiomeatal, so in the end I will say this, right now I work as an acute care/surgical MT with some radiology, and the company I work for has their pet ways of doing things and wording of things, I even when I disagree, I have to defer because I am told that is how the hospital/client wants it....in the end I guess our bosses are in control of how we put things/which phrases, etc. I was also told to forget the BOS and do as they say....in the old days this was BLASPHEMY, but oh well! My best to everyone out there getting through this winter.

Similar Messages:

S/l Mizner's Complex (ENT Exam)
Aug 10, 2010

ENT:  There is some erythema and some dried blood in Mizener's complex, right much greater than left. Please help! Thanks in advance! ...

Fibrinate Nerve Complex?
Aug 05, 2013

This dr. is driving me absolutely nuts!  Thanks for any help. ...

Procedure: Flexible Cystoscopy, Complex Urodynamics,
Oct 30, 2009

s/l "cautious flow EMG"  Also what does EMG electromyelogram?  ...

What Kind Of Views Would Show An Occipital Cervical Complex
Nov 21, 2010

The sentance reads - __________ views shows occipital cervical complex with no obvious evidence of arthritic change. The blank sounds like "L spine", but since this is of the occipital region I don't think it would be that.      ...

S/l Liss Rinx Complex (having To Do With Metatarsal/foot Report)
Nov 10, 2011

Help! ...

Does This Make Sense - Pt Is S/p Complex Repair "left AC Right Wrist"
Nov 14, 2010

I have looked back through the patient's files from previous visits that I have on my flash drive (keep these for a year) and it just mentions his right wrist.  Any ideas what "left AC" could have to do the the right wrist or is my PA just getting his tongue tied again?  Thanks for any help.   ...

S/l No Leg Stim Unit
Nov 12, 2009

Left-sided L2-L5 medial branch radiofrequency neurotomy.  s/l no leg stim unit, 3 mV, good medial branch stim, 3 burns at each location . ...

Kens Unit
Mar 10, 2010

The patient relates that this area is tender from time to time and bothersome with her _______ unit.  (Kens???) ...

Unit Secretary
May 22, 2010

I am thinking about applying for a unit secretary position at a local hospital.  Hours are 7-3:30, full time, Monday through Friday.  Not sure about the pay scale yet.   Has anyone here worked in that capacity?  I think my medical terminology knowledge would be useful.   I am concerned about future employment in the MT field, especially the declining wage structure.     ...

Step-down Unit
Nov 12, 2010

Is 'step-down unit' capitalized? ...

Step Down Unit???
Aug 22, 2013

Step Down Unit, Stepdown Unit, Step-Down Unit  and  is it even capitalized??? This is confusing.  I searched this, and it is written multiple different ways at hospitals and other sites.  Sometimes written in upper case, other times in lower case.  I found a "step-down therapy" in Stedman's, but nothing about a unit.   Is there a correct choice, or just type what appears to be the best option? Any input would be appreciated.  Thanks so very much. ...

MT To Unit Secretary?
Mar 18, 2014

I know some folks have gotten out of MT and gone into different positions in hospitals.  I see a few local jobs online for unit secretaries and scheduling clerks that require no other specialized training other than terminology, and i am wondering if anyone has gone that route, is it a big learning curve? did you feel in over your head? It would be so far out of my range of comfort (haven't worked outside for almost 10 years) and not to mention having to get a wardrobe (although scrub ...

S/l PEEK Unit
Jun 03, 2015

dictated, "The incision was taken through the skin and subcutaneous tissues with the s/l PEEK unit down tot he fascial layer.   This is a knee revision arthroplasty.   ...

Unit Secretary Duties
Jul 19, 2012

Okay, AFAIK, a unit secretary is someone who works in a particular unit at a hospital, usually, and handles all sorts of duties. That much I know. But lately, some of the ads for this job seem to be adding on other duties that I didn't think a unit sec. had to know: CNA; monitor technician. So now you have to be trained as a CNA or take courses in telemetry to work as a unit secretary? ...

S/l Arched Motor Unit Potentials
Jan 08, 2013

Activation shows *s/l arched* motor unit potentials, especially in the gastrocnemius muscles bilaterally. Hope someone else is awake at this ungodly hour to help me out. Thanks! ...

What Is The Measuring Scale Or Unit For Suction Devices
Jul 14, 2010

Here's the sentence:  "The chest tube was connected to the ______(s/l "Myella") suction, and it went down to zero on -23 _______ (s/l "meters"... could it be "mm"?)of suction. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!  ...

Coronary Intensive Care Unit/Capitalize?
May 14, 2015

Should Coronary Intensive Care Unit be capitalized? Thank you. ...

Patient Was Upset By The S/l *ma-loo* On The Unit And Has Decreased Sleep" NM TIA
May 24, 2012

x ...

End Point Versus Endpoint And Hand Grip Versus Handgrip
Mar 13, 2012

Two words that come up often for questioning.  These are strictly used in an orthopedic setting.  Stedman's and Dorland's list end point and hand grip HOWEVER the office transcription manager,  girl is asking for me to correct this to endpoint and handgrip. She is only basing this on what an old medical transcription company she used to work for had her typing. I would rather base it on the  medical reference. The doctors are not even aware this has come up. She is ...

Pethespa Per Unit - Doc Spells Pethespa
Apr 08, 2010

His most recent Factor VIII inhibitor titer on March 16, 2010 was measured at 11.3 pethespa per unit.   ...

Versus Or Vs
Nov 04, 2009

Im new in this game and appreciate help with a silly question.  When a doctor dictates the word versus should we type vs. ...

'of' Versus 'for'
Dec 08, 2009

Hi, Can someone tell me which is correct? 'suspected of driving under the influence' or 'suspected for driving under the influence'. I think it is 'of', but not sure why this is so. Thanks. ...

IC Versus P.r.n.
Dec 10, 2009

What is the difference between an IC position and a p.r.n. position? ...

Ccs Versus ML
Jan 27, 2010

Whey typing for plastics is it okay to use ccs for the size of saline implants or is the preferred way mL....thanks. ...

VR Versus SR
Feb 20, 2010

I am not familiar with VR and have never used it, but I understand that there is a difference between voice recognition (VR) and speech recognition (SR). I am told the difference is that with VR the program has to be trained because it goes by voice only, sort of like us getting used to different dictators when we start a new account.  SR is supposedly different in that it goes by speech alone, meaning I guess, just the actual words dictated and is not affected by voice differences. Does ...

BNP Versus BMP
Jun 08, 2010

Hi, I have a dictator going over the patient's hypertension.  At the end of the section he says (BMP/BNP) was unremarkable.  I have no values, so I don't know if it was a single test or multiple.  If he's talkign about hypertension, I would think that BNP would be feasible, but it really sounds more like BMP.  Any help is great! ...

Sat Versus Set
Aug 15, 2010

Present ventilator settings:  Assist-control mode, FiO2 35%, tidal volume 400, PEEP 5, s/l sat or set rate of 12.    ...

In To Versus Into
Oct 21, 2010

which one to use...... He called the prescription into the pharmacy. or He called the prescription in to the pharmacy. Thanks!!!!   ...

ASR Versus ST
Nov 01, 2010

If you were offered 9 cents for straight transcription and 7 cents for ASR, which would you prefer to do...editing at 7 cpl or transcription at 9 cpl or both?  If you had to do both, but at given rates, would that be satisfactory? ...

Cc Versus ML
Jan 07, 2011

Is 780 mL of urine correct.  Or is 780 ml of urine.  TIA ...