A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

unit secretary duties - viva

Posted: Jul 19, 2012

Okay, AFAIK, a unit secretary is someone who works in a particular unit at a hospital, usually, and handles all sorts of duties. That much I know. But lately, some of the ads for this job seem to be adding on other duties that I didn't think a unit sec. had to know: CNA; monitor technician. So now you have to be trained as a CNA or take courses in telemetry to work as a unit secretary?

I have found that too - more work, same or less pay

[ In Reply To ..]
Plus, they can have one person do the work of 3 or 4.

unit secretary duties - viva

[ In Reply To ..]
Well, that is just b.s. I was thinking of trying to get into that area but now I am having second thoughts.

Everybody's loss, no doubt. All basic clerical is becoming - very low pay. Added duties? Now, THERE

[ In Reply To ..]
is not only, very importantly, increased job security, as they obviously are developing instead of eliminating it, but to me work that's just more diverse and interesting.

I'd enjoy working in the middle of everything going on, but sadly, I just can't do a frying-pan-to-fire move to any clerical that doesn't require advanced education. This is the first information on unit secretary work that causes a bit of regret, though. For a lot of us, new challenges and opportunities to learn additional skills are good things.

Are you sure you wouldn't like being an indispensable part of a team that does meaningful work?
duties - viva
[ In Reply To ..]
At this point, I might do it anyway just because it would be a way out of higher ed, which is deteriorating rapidly and where I have never been able to obtain full time work.
What do you mean, Viva? Higher ed deterioriating? - Inquiring Mind. NM
[ In Reply To ..]
x
higher ed - viva
[ In Reply To ..]
I've been working in higher ed for 20+ years. Now, you can barely get any full-time teaching positions; it's more part-time than anything; many incoming students are woefully unprepared for college; the financial cuts are killing us and the students who are actually deserving; etc.
If you teach college, why are you looking at such low positions? - Wondering
[ In Reply To ..]
You can't be the same viva who has been posting on the coding board then, either.
duties - viva
[ In Reply To ..]
I teach college part-time and it is hourly pay with no guarantees from one semester to another.
I have been considering various options: transcription, coding, unit secretary, more.
I already passed the RMT exam and came within 12 points of passing the CCS. It's hard to know what to do or which direction to take. I know only that there is no future in higher ed that I can see.
Here is my suggestion - My take on it
[ In Reply To ..]
You seem to be unable to decide and making halfhearted stabs at a bunch of things. The minute you encounter an indication that it might be more trouble than you thought you give up.

While recognizing that there is no future for you in education is great, you need to come up with a plan of action that will get you somewhere.

What do you teach in college? Is that something you can build on? That is the first thing I would ask if you came to me for job coaching.

Second, what do you WANT to do? Are there things you do not want to do?

Third, what is available in your community? What are the local requirements for those jobs?

Fourth, how much education do you have? If you have a bachelor's degree, and I cannot imagine hat you teach college without that, you have better options that you are not considering.

Stop considering MT. It is not worth throwing time and money into minimum wage or less work. If you are not a success in it now, you do not have time to get up to speed. Not the way it is now. You can still use what you learned for the RMT.

Stop thinking that missing the CCS by 12 points is complete job failure. It is not. The CCS was not an appropriate choice following an adult ed course, especially not one taught by someone who seems to have been able to teach only the restricted job she did. If she never exposed you to the HCPCS code book, or to outpatient coding, she did not teach the coding that most coders do. There ARE many great jobs there. You need to recognize that more than half the experienced inpatient coders who take that exam fail it. Your grade is actually not bad considering that the exam is the most notoriously difficult in coding.

Looking at low-level, go-nowhere jobs is not going to help you find meaningful work. You might need to look a little higher up the ladder. Do you really see yourself as a bottom-rung worker? If you teach college why would you?

Why don't you take the darned CPC exam, which is the one you should have taken to begin with, and make a go of coding? From there you can move on and up. You can work while getting training to qualify for better jobs or different jobs.

You have already invested significant effort in this. Do not waste it.

One suggestion would be to use your bachelor's degree to qualify for the RHIA health information administration program at the University of Toledo. In about a year and a half, you would be an RHIA with VERY good job prospects. The coding and other training you already had would help you with several courses. You would hardly have to study for those. If you needed to take out loans for this, it would be worth it.

If your degree is not from an accredited college or if you do not have a bachelor's, you should consider the RHIA program in health informatics at Western Governors University. It can be very economical AND will qualify you for some of the best jobs in Health information today . . . informatics. And you will be qualified for all the rest of them, too, including coding. A Pell grant may be possible, but any loans you had to take would be well worth it.

I guess I just can't see why so many MTs think they are only good enough for rock-bottom, minimum-wage, dead-end jobs. You had to be smart to do MT to begin with. You do not fit with the kinds of people who typically seek those jobs. Now that you need a new job, why do you demean yourself and restrict your opportinities and choices?

It is one thing when others limit us, but I really have trouble understanding limiting YOURSELF. For anyone thinking they just aren't good enough or do not deserve a career better than ward clerk, all I can suggest is professional counseling. Get someone to help you if you hve low self-esteem or depression.
college, etc. - viva
[ In Reply To ..]
I am the same one. I wouldn't expect to be able to start out in a new occupation at the top of the ladder.
Thanks, Viva. Someone I know left teaching for those reasons. - Tenure was not possible. NM
[ In Reply To ..]
x
tenure - viva
[ In Reply To ..]
Exactly right. There are too many of us PTs and hardly any FT positions now.
I am also applying for editor/proofreader positions. I actually came very close to getting a position as a medical editor. Unfortunately, the job was too far away and they weren't able to let me do it remotely. (I cannot relocate at this time.)
Editing sounds good. Would doing some remote - editing work at all? Just to
[ In Reply To ..]
get used to doing it, make a little money, stick it on your resume, etc.?
remote editing - viva
[ In Reply To ..]
I've done remote editing for years as a freelancer. It's all over my resume.
If you mean medical editing, no.

CNA is not a duty; it is a skill set - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
There may be a misunderstanding about what a unit secretary does. It is not clerical work in the sense that the word secretary might imply. In other words, the job is not that of office secretary transplanted to a hospital ward. It has its own characteristics.

A unit secretary or ward clerk is responsible for all the administrative functions of a hospital ward. That is basically everything that happens behind that desk from patient flow to orchestrating testing and procedures to keeping an eye on monitors when the monitor tech has to use the restroom.

Perhaps years ago they just kept track of things with a card file, but technology changes and jobs change with it. Ward clerks now need to understand computer systems, procedures, testing, more complex hospital staffing structures, chargemasters and billing systems, and they need to be able to deal with the technology based at that central desk, like cardiac and other types of monitors.

In a job market where there is low unemployment and few applicants for jobs, employers are able to find people who are well-qualified for the job. They do not have to train.

If you are seeing CNA listed, it is not because the job requires you to do CNA duties in addition to unit secretary duties. It is because CNA training covers the same things that unit secretary training covers. The hospital does not have to train you in those things. It also reduces their liability because you have that training and will perform better.

It is just like coding positions. Ten years ago, you could find hospitals that would train you or hire you without certification. They would accept an adult ed coding class because that was all there was in some areas. They saw certification as an amost unnecessary option--something to satisfy the coder's need for recognition. Now, however, there are many more certified coders who are well-versed in all types of coding graduating from college and other college-level programs. Medicare strongly encourages employers to have certified coders. Facilities need to demonstrate their intent to comply with regulations by using only credentialed coders. The end result is that those entry-level "will-train" jobs that were happy if you merely knew what a code book was are gone. Anyone who wants to go into coding has to take a course that requires time, effort, and enough work to enable you to pass a credentialing exam. You have to look at the course graduates to see if they have passed and how long it took, too, because most courses are still operating on the assumption that employers will hire you from school and give you 2 or 3 years of OJT to complete your training so you can pass that test.

All jobs in medical care are this way. You can expect to need formal training and to have to start at the bottom in the new area.

Similar Messages:

Unit Secretary
May 22, 2010

I am thinking about applying for a unit secretary position at a local hospital.  Hours are 7-3:30, full time, Monday through Friday.  Not sure about the pay scale yet.   Has anyone here worked in that capacity?  I think my medical terminology knowledge would be useful.   I am concerned about future employment in the MT field, especially the declining wage structure.     ...

MT To Unit Secretary?
Mar 18, 2014

I know some folks have gotten out of MT and gone into different positions in hospitals.  I see a few local jobs online for unit secretaries and scheduling clerks that require no other specialized training other than terminology, and i am wondering if anyone has gone that route, is it a big learning curve? did you feel in over your head? It would be so far out of my range of comfort (haven't worked outside for almost 10 years) and not to mention having to get a wardrobe (although scrub ...

What Are The Duties Of
Jun 08, 2013

I know they took some of the client duties away from the TSMs, but aren't they supposed to concentrate more on MTs? I hardly ever hear from mine, she doesn't answer the phone, very seldom returns calls or e-mails. Is there an assistant I am supposed to be asking? I am asking here because I can't get an answer from my region. TIA ...

Coding Duties
Jun 17, 2013

Done at other hospitals or facilities?  When you work at a hospital, are you expected to know/code all aspects of the patient care as in E/M, professional/physician, inpatient, emergency room, inpatient stays?  Do they separate the professional coding from the facility coding or are you responsible for both?  I saw an ad for a VA and it looks like you have to know how to do all of it.  How many are doing all of it? The coders I know sort of do one side or the other.  Jus ...

My Dog Adele Will Now Be Taking Over My MT Duties.
Mar 20, 2015

Since I missed the word A and a patient suffered a long protracted death because of this error I am now having my rescue dog, Adele, take over my MT position. It is time for her to earn her Kibbles, which incidently is more than what Mmodal pays. I just hope that ASR does not make her run away, which I would not blame her. Maybe Adele will have better luck, LOL. ...

Anyone Transitioned Out Of MT Into Secretary Work?
Apr 06, 2015

Hello all.  Has anyone went into secretary work after MT?  I know this has been asked before but wanted some updated info.  I have had a multitude of interviews for secretary work but the interview is where it ends.  Just wondering if anyone has been successful in this?  Thanks so much! ...

MT To Legal Secretary-- Tough Transition?
Dec 14, 2011

I have a passion for law but fell into the quick cash that comes with being an MT. Then I got an AAS in health information technology and am eligible to sit for my RHIT but it was so long ago, I'm afraid I probably wouldn't pass. So, I'm thinking it's back to the drawing board and was wondering how much additional education I'd need to get a legal secretary/admin asst job. With the degree I have, I've already had to become proficient in Office, filing, research, pro ...

S/l No Leg Stim Unit
Nov 12, 2009

Left-sided L2-L5 medial branch radiofrequency neurotomy.  s/l no leg stim unit, 3 mV, good medial branch stim, 3 burns at each location . ...

Kens Unit
Mar 10, 2010

The patient relates that this area is tender from time to time and bothersome with her _______ unit.  (Kens???) ...

Step-down Unit
Nov 12, 2010

Is 'step-down unit' capitalized? ...

Step Down Unit???
Aug 22, 2013

Step Down Unit, Stepdown Unit, Step-Down Unit  and  is it even capitalized??? This is confusing.  I searched this, and it is written multiple different ways at hospitals and other sites.  Sometimes written in upper case, other times in lower case.  I found a "step-down therapy" in Stedman's, but nothing about a unit.   Is there a correct choice, or just type what appears to be the best option? Any input would be appreciated.  Thanks so very much. ...

S/l PEEK Unit
Jun 03, 2015

dictated, "The incision was taken through the skin and subcutaneous tissues with the s/l PEEK unit down tot he fascial layer.   This is a knee revision arthroplasty.   ...

S/l Arched Motor Unit Potentials
Jan 08, 2013

Activation shows *s/l arched* motor unit potentials, especially in the gastrocnemius muscles bilaterally. Hope someone else is awake at this ungodly hour to help me out. Thanks! ...

What Is The Measuring Scale Or Unit For Suction Devices
Jul 14, 2010

Here's the sentence:  "The chest tube was connected to the ______(s/l "Myella") suction, and it went down to zero on -23 _______ (s/l "meters"... could it be "mm"?)of suction. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!  ...

Coronary Intensive Care Unit/Capitalize?
May 14, 2015

Should Coronary Intensive Care Unit be capitalized? Thank you. ...

Patient Was Upset By The S/l *ma-loo* On The Unit And Has Decreased Sleep" NM TIA
May 24, 2012

x ...

Ostiomeatal Complex (or Unit) Versus Osteomeatal Complex
Feb 15, 2010

I do transcription for radiologists, and this comes up quite often.  Is it osteomeatal complexes with an "e" or ostiomeatal complexes with an "i"?  Sometimes they say ostiomeatal "units" instead of complexes.  These rads use Dragon, so I'm only proofreading and editing their reports, and it comes to me spelled in both ways, even from the same rad.  Any help here fellow MTs? ...

Pethespa Per Unit - Doc Spells Pethespa
Apr 08, 2010

His most recent Factor VIII inhibitor titer on March 16, 2010 was measured at 11.3 pethespa per unit.   ...