A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

transcription editing - Candy

Posted: Apr 19, 2012

I have been a  remote IC for over 10 yrs and am looking for information about doing editing.  I would like to hear from someone who has been doing editing in regard to how much work there is out there and how much money is to be made and does it compare to straight typing.

Editing - Red

[ In Reply To ..]
I really think it depends on the person, as far as how much money is to be made. I thought I was a fast transcriptionist, always passed my audits, etc. but with large pools had trouble making money...... I turned to editing on a "well with VR that is the way things are going" thought process 5 years ago and have never turned back! I make half per line rate editing versus transcrption BUT and it is a big BUT, I make more than double as apparently I was not a as fast of a transcriptionist as I thought and I can edit and QA a great deal quicker than typing (and yes I do a very good job, I am one of the top QAs at my company). But again I have a friend who has done both and went back to transcription. She just could not make the money in editing. So transcrption versus editing is not "one size fits all" change. I personally think a one has nothing to lose by trying it out, who knows you may find the perfect fit like I did! Or at least you learned a lesson. When I tried it out at first I kept my transcription job as well before I made any jumps, and I would advise that to all, very much especially in this job market/economy. I hope this helps a little:)

Editing - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I've been doing only straight transcription for my entire career until just last week, when I threw in the towel and got trained on VR. The platforms on which I was trained were probably a fair representation of current technology. For the record, I'm a VERY fast MT, and very accurate, to boot.

My experience: I was surprised at how accurate the VR translation was; it was quite remarkable, really. Every single word had to be examined, however, and this is tedious beyond description. Maybe I spent too much time making sure the documents were perfect? I don't know. Although the font could be adjusted to be less wearing on my vision, eventually it all became a blur. I never once had this problem with straight transcription. Lots of bells and whistles on these platforms, but I couldn't concentrate on what was important: The patient behind all the words.

The point is this: After 5 days, with some increase in speed, I could read the writing on the wall. It would have been impossible for me to make a living, and, well, the joy was gone. The discouraging line counts and the reduced cpl finally made me face reality. Almost any other means of earning a living would be more lucrative.

I had heard, or thought I understood, that a footpedal was not necessary with VR, so I had envisioned sitting in my recliner and getting some relief from back pain from 25 years of MTing. I guess it's possible to do this, but I found the footpedal necessary. The wear on my hands was somewhat less, but the stress was WAY more.

I don't know what my future holds, but I've pretty much burned my bridges with MT, and not a moment too soon. :(

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I totally agree. - me

[ In Reply To ..]
I've been doing VR for about 5 months now. I barely average $9-10/hour. There is way too much "extra" to do on here from account specifics to correcting an entire report most of the time. We need to be paid a better wage on this, but it will never happen. As long as these companies can hire at 3-4 cpl, it'll never change. I personally cannot make a living at this anymore so the writing is on the wall. It's too bad because I used to love being a MT. Good luck MTSOs with newbies and foreigners doing this work.

If we cant make it on 4cpl how do you think the - newbies will?

[ In Reply To ..]
The newbies will still be learning the ropes and that coupled with trying to make a decent line count to equal a good check, will drive them out as well.

VR one reason I'm leaving - LeavingMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I know the bigger MTSOs are more concerned with filling in blanks than being accurate, that I've always been somewhat able to reconcile.

But the mind numbing tediousness of VR. Wow. My husband couldn't understand why I could do this day in and out for 20+ years, I don't know the answer--but I do know after starting VR (which I find to be 30-70% accurate and generally 30% so IMO I should receive 70% of my straight transcription pay) I had had it. I hated that flexiblity changed 5-6 years ago and I had to go on a stricter schedule (I always worked Sunday through Thursday usually 8 hours a day in a 12 hour period). I knew benefits were changing everywhere. But this?

Good luck to the newbies because I do not think the majority starting now will be able to stick it out and become veterans without being bored to the point of tears (as well as underpaid as we are not considered anything more than typists now).
I hated VR - ltdn
[ In Reply To ..]
I've been in transcription for 20+ years...had to make a switch to VR last year (not by choice). I too, was extremely fast and accurate at actually typing, so VR was totally different for me. As one poster above said, it drove me crazy. It was boring, and I could only manage about $10.00. I compared that hourly wage to what my girlfriend's teenage daughter was making at the grocery store to bag groceries, only I had been at this for 20+ years! And yes, I did give it time....at least 6 months, and I still didn't make enough money to make it worth my while.

I got out...got a job back doing MT and I'll never go back to VR or any other method again. I'll retire before I'll do that.

It wasn't worth the stress, it wasn't worth my time, and I certainly didn't make double (like everyone claimed I would in the company I worked for). I was never happier to walk away from something in my life!!
I dont know who came up with the idea that you - would "make double" and then
[ In Reply To ..]
justified it by cutting pay in half. I think they know you dont make double and have seen it in their bigger profits since switching to VR.

They are probably earning about an extra $200 bucks a day for every MT they pay 4cpl.
So true - NM
[ In Reply To ..]
NM

I find - it is a

[ In Reply To ..]
completely different skill set and one I am unable to master. Always liked transcribing, find editing to be a ridiculous mess, except for an occasional report which I can breeze through. I have never used Alt command keys or function keys, and my hands do not know where to find them. Following the cursors, for me, is confusing, and when they get separated and I try to make a correction, I find the cursor is somewhere else, and I end up making an error instead of a correction. My command and function keys do not always work, my foot pedal reverses itself, computer freezes, and no one in the company has every heard of these problems before, so I am left to my own devices.

I have typically adapted to software changes over the years, but this is turning out to be the exception. I find I lose my focus with editing. I could pay attention with transcribing. The pay is demoralizing, and I am not producing twice as much to make up for the reduced cpl. This has just recently happened, in the past four months and don't plan to be doing it much longer.

you are so right... - ltdn

[ In Reply To ..]
Demoralizing is such a great word to use for us "lowly have been" transcriptionists who have been given a pay cut that wouldn't even be minimum wage most of the time. I'm so glad I got out...I'll be honest, the little I was making was worse than when I quit and didn't make anything. I felt like I worked tirelessly to make less than minimum wage...you're right, demoralizing!! You'll be so glad when you bail...TRUST ME!!

Similar Messages:

VR Editing Or Traditional Transcription???
Mar 08, 2011

I've been offered a job that is primarily VR editing and also a job with traditional transcription.  Where am I going to make more money.  I usually produced approximately 2000 lines a day with traditional transcription but have never done VR editing.  HELP!!! ...

Transcription/editing For The Kardashians
Dec 14, 2011

Perhaps we could 'correct' them each time one of the Kardashidiots says "he and I" when she should say, "him and me," etc., which, if we charged them, let's say, $10,000 per mistake per episode, we could easily make upwards of a million per week, ourselves...what say you?  ...

What's More Lucrative - VR Editing Or Transcription?
Mar 22, 2012

I have transcribed for 22 years.  This week I started to learn VR editing.  I am making less than minimum wage.  Will my pace pick up to match my transcription pay equivalent to $3,000 a month or should I stick with transcription?  ...

If Not Transcription/editing Then What Other Careers?
Jun 24, 2012

Hi all  It seems alot of people on here are discouraging people from getting into the field. But, I've been wondering, what then would be some good alternative fields to get into? I can type 90wpm and am good at organizing things. I haven't worked in like 2 years (due to agorophobia)  and I need to get my life back on track. I need to go to school for something, but I'm just not sure what to get into if not medical editing. ...

Coding V. Transcription/Editing
Aug 22, 2013

Hey Everyone! I'm going to take a chance and attempt to get some objective answers to my questions. I'm interested in pursuing training to become an MT/Editor, mainly because I'm very interested in working part time from home. I'm an extremely diligent worker with a lot of attention to detail and am very self-motived, which makes me feel like I may have some of what's needed to do the job. I currently work as a law assitant, which is a great job in an extremely crappy w ...

Flat Rate Cpl For Editing And Transcription?
May 17, 2012

Ladies and gents, I am hoping to find an employer that will pay a flat line rate for both editing of SR and transcription. Does anyone know of anyone that is doing that? This business of being paid 2 different line rates makes it impossible to forecast earnings and is causing a huge headache for me. I am thinking a flat in the 7 cpl to 8 cpl would be something I would consider. I cannot believe I am saying that - 10 years ago I was working in a great hospital job making 12 cpl. My, my, how ...

Apparently Sten-Tel Is Offering 2 Cpl For Editing And 5 Cpl For Transcription
Mar 22, 2013

. ...

What Focus Infomatics Pays For Transcription Versus Editing?
Nov 02, 2009

Does anyone know what Focus Infomatics pays for transcription versus editing? ...

Using Dragon Medical Practice, Version 2 For Transcription, Coding, Billing, Editing - Is It Worth I
Dec 29, 2014

It was recently suggested to me that I get Dragon Medical practice Edition, Version 2 for use on transcription, coding, billing and editing. As someone who works from home, I am hoping to investigate the pros and cons of investing in this program and whether its worth it ($1,399.00!!) Does anyone have any experience using this program for transcription, etc who would like to comment? Is it worth the time investment and the money investment? Is the program fairly easy to set up and use ie: l ...

Anyone Editing VR At 800 Lph?
Feb 18, 2010

If you get 800 lph on VR, what platform to you use, what types of reports do you type?  ...

Can Anyone Tell Me About VR Editing
Feb 26, 2010

Can anyone tell me about VR editing, the pay seems quite low about 3 cpl.  How many lines can you do in an hour? I am a very fast typist, but unsure about VR and have a job interview for this.  Thanks for your help ...

Editing Pay
Jun 05, 2010

I understand that everything is going to the way of the editor and not typing, but when the editor keeps missing whole sentences or makes up words that sound nothing like the doctor is saying, how is one supposed to make any money?  I only get paid .04 per line to edit and I am spening more time trying to fix editing mistakes than I would if I just erase the text and type it out.  Very frustrating.  Thank God my husband has a good paying job, otherwise I would have to find another ...

Is All Editing With VR Really This Bad?
Oct 28, 2010

I work for a company that uses M*Modal for VR and all the reports have SO much editing.  There are complete words missing, words added that clearly aren't being dictated, at least 2 words on each line that have to be edited.  I'm doing so much more work for less pay than I was straight typing everything.  This is the only editing I've done so I don't know if this is normal for editing or if M*Modal just sucks!  My line counts suck, my pay sucks.  Any ...

RE TTS: I Have Seen Where They Pay 3 Cpl For Editing .... SM
Nov 08, 2010

and I know that they use Escription.  Does anybody know if they EVER will start someone out higher than 3 cpl?  I have 32 years of MT experience and about 3 years of editing experience.  Thanks for any comments. ...

Job Sent Without Editing
Feb 14, 2011

So, last week the system went down right as I was finishing up an extremely long job.  When it finally came back up, there was another glitch and before I could hit "recover", the job sent to the hospital as I originally got it with no editing whatsoever!  The hospital got in touch with Medquist EXTREMELY upset and in turn I got an e-mail wondering why that happened.  I feel like contacting this hospital myself and letting them know this THIS is what Medquist gives us to work ...

VR Editing Course?
Apr 15, 2012

Does anyone know of a good VR editing course?  I've been an MT for 26 years but it seems obvious that editing is in my near future.  Help! ...

Editing 4 Cpl
Feb 15, 2013

Is it even possible to make good money doing editing at 4 cpl?  How much could one expect to make per hour at such a low rate? ...

How To Do VR Editing
Apr 18, 2013

I'm a seasoned MT and would like to learn how to do VR editing.  Are there any companies that will hire and train?   ...

TTS - 3.3 Cpl For Editing?
Oct 17, 2013

Recruiter called me today.  3.3 cpl for editing? Next!!! ...

How Much Editing Is Really Being Done?
Nov 18, 2013

Obviously we know the whole 50% more productive thing was a lie, but has anyone ever done a study on how much editing needs to be done on average?  Just curious if any real numbers have ever been posted on this. ...

Will VR Never Need Editing?
Feb 17, 2014

Or will all editing be done in India in the future?  I see more and more MTs retiring early and/or finding work other than MT (Walmart, etc.) until they can retire.  What will happen when there are no more MTs?  Just a thought.  ...

Editing/VR
Feb 03, 2015

Just wondering if someone out there could explain to this transcriptionist who has never worked with VR how the line count is done? Getting ready to come to work for MModal in the near future and trying to figure everything out.  ...

EMR Editing
Mar 17, 2015

Any of you currently performing EMR editing?  What does it entail?  How's the pay and how does it compare to standard VR editing?  Thank you for your input. ...

Speech Editing.
Oct 15, 2009

My quality has gone down since the clinic that I work at started this.   We use Dictaphone Extext.  Anyway, I must be going too fast or something because I seem to miss things.  Has anyone else had this problem?  I have started reading over my reports myself now before sending them through and I asked my supe if they have improved.  She said yes, but I still am making mistakes and she will send me my reports back shortly.  The only thing else I know t ...

VR Editing With Escript
Nov 12, 2009

I am new to Escript, as well as VR editing.  I find it to be VERY time consuming and crappy pay at $0.04.  That being said, I am lucky to make $10 an hour, if that.  In addition, you have to be on your toes, as it seems like at least one word in a sentence is incorrect.   For example today, one report stated, "testis Cardiolite stress test."  On top of it, this was not an ESL dictator and he spoke very clearly.  It just seems like more work to have to ...

Any Companies Without VR Editing?
Nov 15, 2009

I have applied to multiple companies and taken multiple tests.  I have four job offers, which sounds great, but they are all mostly VR editing and I cannot stand it.  My hands feel lost without them typing :).  Any suggestions of any companies that do not have VR editing?  ...

Anyone Here Editing VR With Transcend?
Apr 21, 2010

And if so, how fast is it possible to get?  I'm struggling to get faster than 200 lines per hour.  I've only been editing for a couple of months, but I'm really wondering if it is possible to get much faster?  Advice please! ...

Focusing While Editing
May 05, 2010

I work with the eScription platform and I have no problem with editing - I really enjoy giving my fingers and wrists a break, but I have the worst time concentrating when I'm doing it, LOL.  I can fly through reports when I'm focused.  My line counts are great for an hour and then drop off...pick back up...then drop off again.  They would be consistent and really good if I could just keep my mind from wandering.  Any VR'ers have any tips and tricks for staying ...

Please Help, Question About Editing Sm
May 28, 2010

Can someone tell me if editing would be a pretty decent supplemental job?  I've never done editing and considering a position doing editing.  It sounds really good to me, not so much wear and tear on the hands and wrists.  What are good platforms?  What is an average cpl for the editing? Thanks for any info!!! ...

Transcend Editing
Aug 12, 2010

Everyone working on the BeyondTXT platform with Transcend just received an email from our editing trainer explaining to us how VR software only has to be 75% correct and we have to fix it to be perfect as if we were typing it.   She even specifies that if grammar is incorrect, sentences don't make sense, etc, we must fix it to quality standard.  While I agree with all that, what i don't agree with is the fact that they have put all of us (on Swedish at least) on all VR w ...