A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

VR editing or traditional transcription??? - LB

Posted: Mar 08, 2011

I've been offered a job that is primarily VR editing and also a job with traditional transcription.  Where am I going to make more money.  I usually produced approximately 2000 lines a day with traditional transcription but have never done VR editing.  HELP!!!

One way of looking at it - Good Luck

[ In Reply To ..]

Just my opinion, of course, so others may have a different way of looking at it.

Everyone is different.  One person may be great at straight transcription and do miserably when they try SR Editing.  Another person may have been on the brink of being fired for not producing minimum lines with straight transcription and end up being one of the highest producers when switched to SR Editing. 

No one can tell you which is best for you or which will make you the most money, be the easiest, or even the most enjoyable.  Only actually doing the work will give you that answer.  It is truly a very personal thing.  

You wrote that you can do 2000 lines a day.  I am going to assume that is because you know those dictators forwards and backwards, use tons of expanders, have lots of canned phrases or even whole reports that you can just load in, and your platform runs smoothly and quickly.

What I would do if I had to make that type of decision is this:  One day, the last report of the day, after you have met your quota so you have time to objectively do this, do a comparison.  Last report, write down the start time (the second you bring up that report) and the end time (the second you are ready to send that report).  Write down the total time and the number of lines.  Copy that report and put the copy in Word or whatever software you use (so you can release your last report of the day and sign out of work).   

Now, imagine the report you are looking at just came in from your Speech Recognition program.  Imagine it has wrong punctuation that needs to be deleted, misspelled words that have to be corrected, and formatting that needs to be changed.  You not only have to read every word, but you have to listen to the report as you read it to be sure that is what was dictated.  As you know, with Speech Recognition, you cannot just read or proof the report, you have to listen to it.  It may read perfectly correct if SR put in:  The patient lives in New York, when the dictator actually dictated:  The patient lives in Newark.  (Simplistic, and the only example I could come up with off the top of my head, but a good example nonetheless.  Medical terms that sound alike but mean entirely different things have to be listened to, not just read.) 

Keep track of your time again.  This time, see how long it takes you to read EVERY word.  For the sake of a little more accuracy, change a couple of headings, change some punctuation, and maybe stop to look up the name of an instrument or another word that might be unfamiliar if you ran across it for the first time.

Write down the time it took you to Edit the Speech Recognition report.

Now, you will need to get out your calculator and do some basic math.

If you will be paid 50% less for Speech Recognition Editing than for straight transcription, here is what you will need to do, every hour, every day.

In order to make the same amount of money per day (2000 lines per day at 8 cents per line), if you are getting paid 4 cents per line for Speech Recognition Editing, you will need to do 4000 lines per day.

In other words, if that report took you 5 minutes to straight transcribe, in order to make the same amount of money, you would need to have edited it in 2-1/2 minutes or less. 

If you will be paid more than 50% for Speech Recognition Editing, you may need to do a little more complicated math, but I think you can get a pretty good idea with basic calculations. 

There are a tons of other variables – how good the SR program is, if other things have to be inserted such as demographics, how fast the reports download and upload, how good the audio is, and the usual “new job” learning, such as new account specifics, ESL, etc. 

Hope this did not confuse you too much. 

Good Luck in whatever you decide. 

If you can type, you can edit. The biggest issue is whether you can do - the 4000 lines to match

[ In Reply To ..]
your 2000 lines. Your biggest issue with that will be how much editing each document will require. That is the biggest reason for not being able to match what you do in straight typing versus VR. Some of these docs don't belong in VR, but they are there and it will be your job to clean them up. Unfortunately, that will probably require you to spend more time on the document than if you had just typed it yourself. So the decrease in pay for doing VR will definitely been seen on your paycheck as so many of us have seen.

Thanks! - LB

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for the replies. I'm beginning to think that my best bet would be to stick with traditional transcribing and forego the VR editing. I've got kids in college and another one coming up in 2 years and need to maintain a steady paycheck that I'm accustomed to. Seems like there are a lot of "little" things with VR that could really slow you down. Thanks again for helping!
LB, your chances aren't good for traditional. You'll - probably end up editing anyway. Best
[ In Reply To ..]
would be to add some editing work to mostly transcription to develop your editing skill that way. For most skilled MEs, the problem isn't with the editing, per se, it's that at many companies rates have been adjusted down too far, making editing not as lucrative as transcribing even though the work is done at a higher skill level i.e., mechanical typing work replaced with brain work).

In any case, you really need to control the way you make this virtually certain transition so you don't find yourself either with a collapsed income as you struggle to learn an entirely new job at once or, even worse, unemployed and unable to land a job with a good company for lack of required experience. Go look at the jobs board to see what I mean about that last, and it's getting worse all the time.
I would hope that the straight transciptionist is also as skilled as the - VR transcriptionist
[ In Reply To ..]
If you have transcription experience, you will not be lacking in required experience. If you can type the words you are defintely experienced enough to edit the words in front of you. Everyone of these companies had to train their transcriptionist to do VR and I'm sure the transition wasn't that big of a deal, so even without experience in VR, there are companies who would love to have an experienced transcriptionist (many years in transcription). I wouldn't worry about being left out in the cold just because you are not taking a VR job at this time. If and when you decide to do VR, just as you stated you have the opportunity to do either VR or straight, that opportunity will present itself again in the future. The pay is the ongoing battle with VR, not the ability to do VR!!!

VR editing. - MT Too long

[ In Reply To ..]
While VR is nice, the docs sometimes self edit. I have been on 2 accounts and always run out of work. Stay on an account that you can make money.

Similar Messages:

Making More Money With VR Than Traditional Typing?
Jun 23, 2010

I saw someone post here that they are making a whole lot more with VR than they ever made with straight transcription. I wonder HOW this is possible.  Could it be that they just were not that fast of a transcriptionist or possibly they just have great VR reports? Anyone else? ...

Transcription Editing
Apr 19, 2012

I have been a  remote IC for over 10 yrs and am looking for information about doing editing.  I would like to hear from someone who has been doing editing in regard to how much work there is out there and how much money is to be made and does it compare to straight typing. ...

Transcription/editing For The Kardashians
Dec 14, 2011

Perhaps we could 'correct' them each time one of the Kardashidiots says "he and I" when she should say, "him and me," etc., which, if we charged them, let's say, $10,000 per mistake per episode, we could easily make upwards of a million per week, ourselves...what say you?  ...

What's More Lucrative - VR Editing Or Transcription?
Mar 22, 2012

I have transcribed for 22 years.  This week I started to learn VR editing.  I am making less than minimum wage.  Will my pace pick up to match my transcription pay equivalent to $3,000 a month or should I stick with transcription?  ...

If Not Transcription/editing Then What Other Careers?
Jun 24, 2012

Hi all  It seems alot of people on here are discouraging people from getting into the field. But, I've been wondering, what then would be some good alternative fields to get into? I can type 90wpm and am good at organizing things. I haven't worked in like 2 years (due to agorophobia)  and I need to get my life back on track. I need to go to school for something, but I'm just not sure what to get into if not medical editing. ...

Coding V. Transcription/Editing
Aug 22, 2013

Hey Everyone! I'm going to take a chance and attempt to get some objective answers to my questions. I'm interested in pursuing training to become an MT/Editor, mainly because I'm very interested in working part time from home. I'm an extremely diligent worker with a lot of attention to detail and am very self-motived, which makes me feel like I may have some of what's needed to do the job. I currently work as a law assitant, which is a great job in an extremely crappy w ...

Flat Rate Cpl For Editing And Transcription?
May 17, 2012

Ladies and gents, I am hoping to find an employer that will pay a flat line rate for both editing of SR and transcription. Does anyone know of anyone that is doing that? This business of being paid 2 different line rates makes it impossible to forecast earnings and is causing a huge headache for me. I am thinking a flat in the 7 cpl to 8 cpl would be something I would consider. I cannot believe I am saying that - 10 years ago I was working in a great hospital job making 12 cpl. My, my, how ...

Apparently Sten-Tel Is Offering 2 Cpl For Editing And 5 Cpl For Transcription
Mar 22, 2013

. ...

What Focus Infomatics Pays For Transcription Versus Editing?
Nov 02, 2009

Does anyone know what Focus Infomatics pays for transcription versus editing? ...

Using Dragon Medical Practice, Version 2 For Transcription, Coding, Billing, Editing - Is It Worth I
Dec 29, 2014

It was recently suggested to me that I get Dragon Medical practice Edition, Version 2 for use on transcription, coding, billing and editing. As someone who works from home, I am hoping to investigate the pros and cons of investing in this program and whether its worth it ($1,399.00!!) Does anyone have any experience using this program for transcription, etc who would like to comment? Is it worth the time investment and the money investment? Is the program fairly easy to set up and use ie: l ...

Statutory Employee Vs. Traditional Employee Status Inquiry
Oct 10, 2013

I'm seeing more and more job postings for statutory employee status.  I'm trying to figure out what an appropriate line rate request equivalent would be since I would be responsible for withholding income taxes.  For example if the traditional employee line rate is 8 cpl for transcription what would I need to request for statutory status?  The same or more? ...

Anyone Editing VR At 800 Lph?
Feb 18, 2010

If you get 800 lph on VR, what platform to you use, what types of reports do you type?  ...

Can Anyone Tell Me About VR Editing
Feb 26, 2010

Can anyone tell me about VR editing, the pay seems quite low about 3 cpl.  How many lines can you do in an hour? I am a very fast typist, but unsure about VR and have a job interview for this.  Thanks for your help ...

Editing Pay
Jun 05, 2010

I understand that everything is going to the way of the editor and not typing, but when the editor keeps missing whole sentences or makes up words that sound nothing like the doctor is saying, how is one supposed to make any money?  I only get paid .04 per line to edit and I am spening more time trying to fix editing mistakes than I would if I just erase the text and type it out.  Very frustrating.  Thank God my husband has a good paying job, otherwise I would have to find another ...

Is All Editing With VR Really This Bad?
Oct 28, 2010

I work for a company that uses M*Modal for VR and all the reports have SO much editing.  There are complete words missing, words added that clearly aren't being dictated, at least 2 words on each line that have to be edited.  I'm doing so much more work for less pay than I was straight typing everything.  This is the only editing I've done so I don't know if this is normal for editing or if M*Modal just sucks!  My line counts suck, my pay sucks.  Any ...

RE TTS: I Have Seen Where They Pay 3 Cpl For Editing .... SM
Nov 08, 2010

and I know that they use Escription.  Does anybody know if they EVER will start someone out higher than 3 cpl?  I have 32 years of MT experience and about 3 years of editing experience.  Thanks for any comments. ...

Job Sent Without Editing
Feb 14, 2011

So, last week the system went down right as I was finishing up an extremely long job.  When it finally came back up, there was another glitch and before I could hit "recover", the job sent to the hospital as I originally got it with no editing whatsoever!  The hospital got in touch with Medquist EXTREMELY upset and in turn I got an e-mail wondering why that happened.  I feel like contacting this hospital myself and letting them know this THIS is what Medquist gives us to work ...

VR Editing Course?
Apr 15, 2012

Does anyone know of a good VR editing course?  I've been an MT for 26 years but it seems obvious that editing is in my near future.  Help! ...

Editing 4 Cpl
Feb 15, 2013

Is it even possible to make good money doing editing at 4 cpl?  How much could one expect to make per hour at such a low rate? ...

How To Do VR Editing
Apr 18, 2013

I'm a seasoned MT and would like to learn how to do VR editing.  Are there any companies that will hire and train?   ...

TTS - 3.3 Cpl For Editing?
Oct 17, 2013

Recruiter called me today.  3.3 cpl for editing? Next!!! ...

How Much Editing Is Really Being Done?
Nov 18, 2013

Obviously we know the whole 50% more productive thing was a lie, but has anyone ever done a study on how much editing needs to be done on average?  Just curious if any real numbers have ever been posted on this. ...

Will VR Never Need Editing?
Feb 17, 2014

Or will all editing be done in India in the future?  I see more and more MTs retiring early and/or finding work other than MT (Walmart, etc.) until they can retire.  What will happen when there are no more MTs?  Just a thought.  ...

Editing/VR
Feb 03, 2015

Just wondering if someone out there could explain to this transcriptionist who has never worked with VR how the line count is done? Getting ready to come to work for MModal in the near future and trying to figure everything out.  ...

EMR Editing
Mar 17, 2015

Any of you currently performing EMR editing?  What does it entail?  How's the pay and how does it compare to standard VR editing?  Thank you for your input. ...

Speech Editing.
Oct 15, 2009

My quality has gone down since the clinic that I work at started this.   We use Dictaphone Extext.  Anyway, I must be going too fast or something because I seem to miss things.  Has anyone else had this problem?  I have started reading over my reports myself now before sending them through and I asked my supe if they have improved.  She said yes, but I still am making mistakes and she will send me my reports back shortly.  The only thing else I know t ...

VR Editing With Escript
Nov 12, 2009

I am new to Escript, as well as VR editing.  I find it to be VERY time consuming and crappy pay at $0.04.  That being said, I am lucky to make $10 an hour, if that.  In addition, you have to be on your toes, as it seems like at least one word in a sentence is incorrect.   For example today, one report stated, "testis Cardiolite stress test."  On top of it, this was not an ESL dictator and he spoke very clearly.  It just seems like more work to have to ...

Any Companies Without VR Editing?
Nov 15, 2009

I have applied to multiple companies and taken multiple tests.  I have four job offers, which sounds great, but they are all mostly VR editing and I cannot stand it.  My hands feel lost without them typing :).  Any suggestions of any companies that do not have VR editing?  ...

Anyone Here Editing VR With Transcend?
Apr 21, 2010

And if so, how fast is it possible to get?  I'm struggling to get faster than 200 lines per hour.  I've only been editing for a couple of months, but I'm really wondering if it is possible to get much faster?  Advice please! ...

Focusing While Editing
May 05, 2010

I work with the eScription platform and I have no problem with editing - I really enjoy giving my fingers and wrists a break, but I have the worst time concentrating when I'm doing it, LOL.  I can fly through reports when I'm focused.  My line counts are great for an hour and then drop off...pick back up...then drop off again.  They would be consistent and really good if I could just keep my mind from wandering.  Any VR'ers have any tips and tricks for staying ...