A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

VR - how much can you make per hour? sm - Sam

Posted: Oct 13, 2010

Just out of curiosity - figure out what you make per hour doing VR.  I am looking for like $15/hr or whatever.  Then put that into the context of how much you make per hour doing straight transcription. 

I don't want your name, your company or anything about you personally.  I am just curious to compare what people make doing VR paid per line translated into how much that is per hour.

Thanks for any help.

VR - bunderful

[ In Reply To ..]
When I tried it, it came to about $6.50 an hour, which I'm pretty sure is below minimum wage. I ended up quitting.

If I work my fingers to the bone and don't even - take bathroom breaks,

[ In Reply To ..]
about $9 per hour (less than half what I used to make).

I will share my stats from the last 4 weeks - VR Trainer

[ In Reply To ..]
Doing VR at 2 different companies (part-time at each company), my stats from the last 2 complete payperiods at each:

Co. A:
PP1: Avg Edit 381.9 LPH
PP2: Avg Edit 392.3 LPH

Co. B:
PP1: Avg Edit 472.4 LPH
PP2: Avg Edit 419.3 LPH

I've been doing VR for a while, including training new editors. At each company for production work, I make a percentage rate: 60% of a transcription rate (right at 6 CPL at each company).

What you can make at VR work is dependent upon 2 criterion:
1. What your line rate is.
2. How dedicated and open you are to the process.

If you dread it, don't want to do it, fear it, think negatively about it, you won't do well. It takes time to learn it. I'm not talking about a payperiod or two, either. You need to go through your company's training and repeat that training if at all possible, especially if it is a single class. Then set yourself a schedule to learn to use only the keyboard, begin using dictation speed, etc., until you are where you want to be.

I work consistently when doing VR but I don't kill myself on it.

There are many posts on the VR/SR forum here (and in the archives below) by myself and also another poster (Skilled Editor) and a few others that can really point you in the right direction.

Learning VR successfully and enjoying it is a choice and it is one that you must employ FOR yourself.

You can expect there to be negative responses to my post but those who are successful and enjoy this work are rarely here posting - they are working and going on with their lives. If I were not interested in helping others and understanding what issues they face to make improvements in my own training methods, I would not be posting here, either.

Hope this helps.

VR Trainer

Thanks so much for this - sm - Jill

[ In Reply To ..]
I will be doing VR in the future as my company is getting it - part VR/part transcribing. I was curious to see what is made per line. I luckily will get paid by the hour which I think is a good way to learn, wouldn't you say? Doesn't matter what I produce. I actually think you are paid a lot for VR as most ads I see are for 4/line which stinks and figuring that with what your stats show isn't a great dollar amount per hour. I always said I would not do it as I know I can type it faster but I am not going to have a choice shortly. I appreciate your in-depth response and it sounds like you have a right attitude towards your job!

I think 6 cpl is a great rate. But only a handful offer it. - Most are 3 and 4

[ In Reply To ..]
I think it's appalling to see rates as low as that and then managers call it "industry standard."

I have been doing VR a while now and I love it, but only with a mix of straight transcription. I have found that my days vary, and the days where I work half and half are the most productive pay-wise. I can average around 275 to 320 lph with straight transcription and average around 350 to 420 with VR. When I do all VR, I'm losing money. I'm also paid at 6 cpl, which is great...but it's expected to decrease to 50%. I really don't see how companies can truly validate the 50% cut because you've shown yourself that, being a trainer, you are skilled and proficient, yet in 2 months have not produced 550 to 600 lph. Neither have I...ever.

I think a lot of the negative responses aren't due to the VR itself, but to the really bad compensation offered by some companies, who then say it is industry standard. The "industry standard" is what really bugs me.

I'm not sure where you are getting your information. (sm) - VR Trainer

[ In Reply To ..]
Most of what you just wrote is incorrect, especially in regard to me.

1. There are several top companies that pay VR on a percentage basis of the transcription rate rather than a set VR line rate. Considering, however, that smaller companies usually offer set edit rates and those companies outnumber the larger MTSOs, yes - it is an industry standard.

2. If you are paid at 6 CPL for your editing and your company cuts that by 50% ... You need to leave! If you are being paid 6 CPL for VR, you are probably paid on a percentage scale; your percentage scale is probably at 60%. Perhaps it is just your wording.

3. There are many payperiods I edit at 500-600 LPH. I haven't on the past 2 payperiods with a new account assignment at one company and working to launch a new hospital system with the other. I often do special go-lives and account setups. Again, as I stated in my previous post of stats, I don't work hard at those production rates. I just work consistently. If I push harder, I can maintain higher production but I have a great deal of diversity with what I do and I just simply don't want to work that hard.

VR Trainer
Are you at liberty to name these top companies? - me again
[ In Reply To ..]
Perhaps I did word things wrong in my post. I'm not paid a percentage scale, I am at 6 cpl now on training, will be 50% once training at new company is over.

I left MQ and Transcend both because they will only pay across-the-board cpl for VR. I am sincerely interested in what top companies pay on a percentage basis. When I ask, people will say, "Do your research." I have looked and looked and have not found a company that will pay on a percentage basis. Most of the ones to which I inquired only pay 3 to 5 cpl.

What I wrote in regard to you, since I don't know who you are, is only based on what you have posted. You didn't post that you have many pay periods at 500 to 600 lph, so I was basing it on what I was reading. I didn't mean anything negative towards you with my post. I was referring to what I have encountered, especially since every company that I have worked/interviewed, etc. only pays across-the-board either between 3 and 5 cpl. What do you mean by percentage based? Do you mean 50% of straight typing rate or a percentaged based on your hourly production?

Are you able to consistently produce 500-600 lph every day during these pay periods? If so, does your rate drop to 50% or 40%?

Again, I never meant to offend you or be negative. I was just posting my experience.
What can you suggest for ASR MQ - I suspect your accounts are smooth-sailing - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
we are struggling with continuing software upgrades and additional keyboarding. from what I hear, most of the MTSTARS board coworkers are having a hard time making what they once made, and continue to lose pay with the "upgrades". i see the writing on the wall, the obviousness of the fact we will no longer be needed, at least not at the current employee numbers. i feel your "optimistic" line counts are exagerated or you need to be very specific about the types of jobs and what you must do in each to give a better picture of the situation. I once was a hellfire transcriptionist, but VR hurts my hands and I am not going to ever get knack with it, unless it is perfect. Please give more specifics with your line counts.

The secret to VR - VR Master

[ In Reply To ..]
is to not worry so much about what you make right out of the box. It takes time and patience to get used to editing as opposed to typing.

Start out slow and don't get frustrated. Also work on your library of expanders if you don't already have this.

I can do about 500 lph on smooth patches of text, but probably average 350 to 450 lph over 8 hours when I don't goof off too much. That is at 6.5 cpl. It took me almost a year to get to this,but now I would prefer to do the VR to typing most days.

VR is the wave of the future, and I believe one of the best ways for American workers to take back doing American documents, so I embrace it!

Similar Messages:

Just Wondering What You Make Per Hour, Based On A 40-hour Week...sm
Jul 26, 2013

I know none of us get paid by the hour, but I was just wondering if any of you have ever figured out just how much you earn per hour, based on a 40-hour week. I'm just trying to figure out where I fit in. I seem to be earning $16-18/hour give or take based on how my week goes.  ...

Curious - About How Much Per Hour Do You Make
May 13, 2013

doing QA at Nuance? ...

I Can't Even Make $10 An Hour At TT With VR And Straight Typing.
Feb 06, 2010

nm ...

I Make $8.50 An Hour With Webmedx/Nuance
Dec 09, 2011

Since we were acquired by the big N, "We" are on the old platform, not Dragon.  I don't get any reports that have templates or normals. The account has thousands of doctors.  This is as much as I can possibly make under these parameters. So running our "salary calculator," it comes out to $8.50 an hour.  I was making twice this 2 years ago for same company before it was acquired. ...

A Friend Of Mine Wants To Try This, Can She Make $30.00 An Hour Doing Transcription
Nov 02, 2009

A lady I have talked with wants to train in this kind of work and is planning on going to Andrews. Would she be making at least $30.00 an hour when she gets a job? Thanks. ...

I Hate Transcend. Their Management Is Nasty And I Cannot Make Even $8.00 An Hour.
May 05, 2011

If you complain about this editing stuff you get told just be glad you have a mess or you would not have a job.  I had to retype a 15 minute editing job because the editor decided it was doing an exam for an obstetrics patient and it should have been for a neurosurgery patient.  How many times have you found a uterus in the brain?  I would not advise anyone to apply for their jobs.  You will just get treated like dirt and they do not care if you make any money or not.  ...

What Is The Average Line Rate Per Hour Or Per 8 Hour Shift?
Apr 21, 2011

Hi:I am make incentive based on minutes, but I work on a system that lets me check how many lines and minutes I have typed in a day also. Just in case I have to get another job based on lines, I wanted to know what is the average amount of lines per hour or per 8 hour shift. Thanks for the advice in advance. MeL ...

Average Per Hour With 0.75 Or 0.375 Versus $12.00 Per Hour
Mar 31, 2014

My transcription job was always paid by the hour. I was laid off and they recently offered me a temp position with them making $12.00 an hour.  I was also offered a positon that pays 7.5 and 3.5 cpl.  The $12.00 is employee status for a small local company I worked for over 9 years.  The other is an IC position.  Do you think I would make more with the $12.00 an hour or the per line production rate?  I have never done production by line work so I'm not sur ...

Worried About Being Able To Even Make What I Used To Make Doing
Apr 11, 2011

I seem to be spending an awful lot of time in VR documents, so I am confused as to why I am getting paid less for them.  This stupid VR system types whatever it thinks it might be hearing and sometimes doesn't type anything at all.  I hate this VR.  I am up to 1800 lines but usually do 2200-2500 a day on straight transcription.  I don't know how I am going to feed my children.  I am a single mom and the head of household.  Believe me the child support isn& ...

Is $14 Per Hour Too Low For QA Pay?
Dec 15, 2009

NM ...

$4.22 An Hour
Aug 06, 2010

Today I made $4.22 in one hour, doing one report; however, I am not entirely disgruntled. I only left one blank and have a sample for next time. There is a sense of accomplishment when you figure out the blanks after extensive researching online. ...

$10 An Hour
Sep 24, 2010

I need to find a job that averages more than $10 an hour. I have 20 years' experience in med trans and am a fast typist, but with the slow platforms and the constant "breakdowns" and being out of work, I am only averaging $10 an hour. Another problem is my line counts have dropped from 250 per hour to around 100 and cannot figure out why.  Any ideas?  Thanks ...

Best Hour EVER
Oct 19, 2010

I've been doing MT forEVER.  Today I pushed the envelope as hard as I could and I transcribed 734 lines in one hour.  I was totally "on," dictators were great, and being in the zone helps.  I doubt I will ever replicate it, my hands are still trembly! LOL!  But I wanted to see what I could do. Nice to still get some firsts after a lifetime in this field and firsts that are positives, not negatives! ...

$3 An Hour
Dec 02, 2010

So I have been working for a few months now but it is so hard to increase my line count. First of all quality comes before quantity, but I also have so many different physicians that it seems impossible to increase my line count. I also have a lot of ESL docs, but I do prefer them over a doc who mumbles. Right now I am making about 3-4 bucks an hour. It stinks. Would you work for that amount?? ...

$15 An Hour.
Feb 13, 2012

I don't know why I picked $15 an hour for this little experiment, but for some reason it strikes me that across the board that's about what a lot of MTs are averaging these days.  Could be a bit more, a bit less, but I had to pick a number. The experiment:  1.  Identify other jobs paying similar rates. 2.  Select some that generally come close to what I might call the "ambience" of MT as it now exists. I think I've found it, and here is where I wish with al ...

Took Me An Hour To Do
Apr 09, 2012

resplendent with tables and dictated through a tin can and string by a smug cardiologist who kept changing his mind. Took me over an hour to do. Checked the line count and I made $5.74. Really? And I'm supposed to be grateful I have a job. Can I draw unemployment to make up to minimum wage on that hour? ...

$12.00 AN HOUR
Jan 25, 2014

I have 25 years of MT experience.  With the decline of the MT profession, I applied for a data entry position at $12.00 an hour.  However, this company has a transcription department and has me doing transcription now, but they are still paying me $12.00 an hour.  Any thoughts? ...

So This Is What It Has Come To? $15 An Hour Max?
Feb 08, 2014

I know some of you are struggling to make minimum wage.  I have 32 years of teaching hospital experience.  I have had my own accounts.  I have had my own service.  And now after 32 years the most I can make, typing has hard and as fast as I can, is $15 an hour.  If I were 5 years older, I could retire (not that I can afford to retire, but I would get almost as much in Social Security as I get now working).I've made the big bucks.  I have had many lucrative year ...

$5 Per Hour
Mar 17, 2014

This is what I made yesterday. It seems to depend on the day. I had so many reports that had big chunks of sentences missing. Of course, as always, all medicine lists, the numbers were wrong, a few drugs spelled wrong. Vital signs wrong. Lab counts wrong. Don't you love when a new sentence starts with a number and this happens. 1. Numbering is such a huge issue still for voice rec. I know I will get a nasty email today reminding me that days like yesterday will cause MUP that j ...

By The Hour
Apr 27, 2014

Somebody somewhere got paid big bucks to devise some cockamamie formula for what they think we should achieve, lines per hour, etc, which doesn't work, does it, because every account is different, some weighted heavily toward editing and others toward transcription, some heavy ESL, others not.  There are too many variables to put us all under one roof production-wise.  If they wanted to simplify, why not pay us by the hour with an additonal ...

Per Hour Pay
Jun 27, 2014

What do you people think about a $55/ audio hour rate for transcribing?  Faxing individual notes to various MDs and uploading whole file and then individual reports to pt record to server included.  Is that enough for all that work? Thanks ...

6.60 An Hour On Second Day
Aug 28, 2014

I only made 6.60 an hour on my second day of work.  I was used to getting paid by the hour.  Did anyone else start off like this and get better? How long will it take? ...

Doing 140 Lines per Hour
Nov 19, 2009

I am now doing 140 lines per hour. Is that okay? ...

VR - How Many Lines Per Hour Do You Do? (sm)
Jan 21, 2010

With decades of experience as an MT, I'm just now getting into VR. I'd like to know, if you would please care to share, just how many lines per hour you are able to get with VR. I know this varies from person to person and platform to platform, but please, help me out with this! I'm terrified I'm going to go broke doing this! Thanks in advance. ...

VR - Lines Per Hour
Feb 05, 2010

I don't have much to compare to, as this is the only company I've worked for as an editor. I wanted to get an idea of the different platforms we each use and our lines per hour. Talking only about editing and not straight typing, what do you average lph and what platform do you use?  Thank you!  ...

Pay Per Hour Of Audio
Apr 22, 2010

I'm looking at a job that pays 50-55 dollars per recorded hour of audio.  This is interview or straight dictation transcription.  Does this sound okay?  I'm thinking if it takes me 2 hours to transcribe an hour, that wouldn't be such a bad deal.  I'm just not sure how long it would take me.  I do transcribe very fast...shortcuts are used for medical but can implement for this type of transcription as well.  Just not sure that the pay is reasonabl ...

2-hour, 2-hours?
Apr 28, 2010

Hello. I've got something I've been wondering about. I know that when saying something like "There is a 2-hour window ..." I should hyphenate 2-hour. What about when the word is plural? For example, 2 hours, 30 minutes, 4 days, etc. Do I hyphenate there? I work freelance for a lawyer doing SS disabilty claims, and he is extrememly laid back about rules (nor do I get any specific feedback) and I just do what I think is right, so I love to have somewhere I can go for experianc ...

Is There Such Thing As QA By The Hour
Aug 27, 2010

Are there companies that pay to do QA hourly?  If so where are they and who?  I do QA now and work 15 hours a day for less than $100 ...

How Many Lines Per Hour?
Sep 15, 2010

Trying to get an idea of how much I should be aiming for (working on building my speed).  How many lines per hour do you average?  (No VR or anything like that...just normal transcription).   Thanks!! ...

Is $12 An Hour Good Pay For QA As An IC?
Sep 19, 2010

I'm working as an IC MT right now and paid by the line, but was offered a QA position with the same company at $12 an hour.  Is this about what the going rate for QA is? ...