A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Very weird .wav playback problem - Misty

Posted: Aug 31, 2010

I have some .wav files I need to load into Express Scribe for a potential placement with a company for school. They will not play in windows media player, or Express Scribe. In ES it says "Opening audio file failed." After this I even downloaded other .wav files for school and they work and play just fine. I am totally at a loss as to why these particular files won't play. Another student said they are working fine for her. Any ideas?

When I've received the same error... - PhillyMT

[ In Reply To ..]
It was because the file didn't download properly. Usually re-downloading the file fixed the problem. My internet goes in and out frequently, and if it goes out in the middle of downloading a file it'll say that the download completed but that error will pop up whenever I try to play the audio.

Good luck!

CODECS - Misty

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks PhillyMT but this didn't work either. I even tried opening it on another computer, yet one of my classmates opened the files fine.

Finally after MUCH searching. It has to do with me using Windows 7. Apparently Windows 7 and Windows Vista (anything that succeeded XP) they did not include certain audio codecs.

I downloaded a program called GSpot to find out what codec the files used and if I had it. I did not. The codec is what they use to compress the audio files. The one I needed (and apparently a lot of people run into the same one with the same problem) is DSP group True Speech. I was able to easily download this from the bytescribe website. Voila! Files are working now.

Similar Messages:

First Day On DQS 7 - Playback Problem
Oct 15, 2012

At times, all of a sudden the playback will go back to the beginning. Very frustrating as I then have to find my place again. Is this is a problem for others - or am I accidentally hitting some key combination? ...

Fluency Playback
Nov 24, 2014

you know this accelerated playback thing we were told to disable?  anyone else experiencing that with this thing off it takes way longer to get through editing a job?  another way they've figured out how to get us to make less money?   dying here.   i was reading some of the other posts where they were saying they used to get 50,000/year doing transcription.  Holy Moly!!  the most i ever got, after 20 years of employment at the same hospital was abou ...

Help Request For Audio Playback
Apr 12, 2011

Can anyone tell me how to change the playback on the DQS audio?  Right now I'm getting a playback of about 3 or 4 words, and it's more of a hindrance than a help.   ...

Ctrl G Playback Highlighter And
Sep 12, 2012

I keep getting e-mails that I am not using this shortcut while editing in 7.1. I don't understand how it works (I've tried) and how is it helpful? Seems like unnecessary keystrokes to me. Anybody using it who cares to explain it? TIA ...

Audio/Playback Problems?
Nov 07, 2014

Anyone else having playback problems...delay in hearing dictation with foot pedal, jerky cursor movement?  ...

Express Scribe - What Settings Are You Using Under The Playback Tab
Feb 10, 2010

I wanted to know if anybody is using Express Scribe. If so, what settings are you using under the Playback tab. I am having a hard time listening to the doctors that I dictate for and the practice files I have to do for school (haven't passed my final yet). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks ...

I'm Missing The Call. I Was Going To Watch A Playback Later, But I Think I'd
Oct 15, 2012

x ...

Audio Playback Keyboard Shortcuts
Oct 16, 2012

Does anybody know what the keyboard shortcuts are to stop and start audio playback in DQS? I know I have done it by accident before, and it keeps playing, unlike if you use the foot pedan where you have to hold it down the whole time.   I have never liked having to hold the pedal down.  I was used to Express Scribe, where you can tap to start and stop and don't have to keep your foot pressed down.  Now I am standing up some of the time while working to avoid s ...

Anything Other Than ExpressScribe To Playback Test Files?
Feb 25, 2014

Apparently, and I did not know this since I have not used it in a long time, it is no longer free to use with a footpedal.  I know I can play it back in Windows Media, but again, I cannot control it and it takes to long to transcribe anything. ...

How Do You Decrease Playback In EMDAT/Inscribe
Nov 01, 2014

I have racked my brain trying to figure this out and it's driving me nuts.  When I let up off the foot pedal the dictation goes back too far.  Anybody out there know?  Please help. ...

Foot Pedal/audio Playback
Jan 26, 2015

Does this happen to anyone else - your footpedal stops working in the middle of a note and you have to use the keyboard commands to finish playing the audio, you upload the job and the footpedal may work for the next note or may not.  Frustrating.  Not as good with the keyboard commands for audio.  I have shut down and restarted and that will help for a while.  Called IT and of course, they say my footpedal is fine and to shut down if it happens then log back in.  Its ri ...

QA Feedback Playback Control Panel Problems???
Jul 24, 2012

Is anyone having else having problems with the QA feedback playback control panel?? ?  Since around the end of June, my playback control panel is no longer stationary or fixed to the bottom of the window so that I could use it easily to playback, start and stop audio to listen to corrections.  It now is fixed to the bottom of the text and scrolls out of view if I'm at the top of the report.  Also list of corrections on the right also is no longer fixed to the screen and scrol ...

Weird One. How Would You Do This?
Feb 08, 2010

Lately I have been doing a lot of transcription for some docs in some ski areas in Colorado so I am running into some terms I have never heard (not necessarily medical) or have thought how to spell.  Today, a pt "tacoed" a rail.  Would you type it that way, or taco'd~or another way? ...

Weird Med Help Please
May 01, 2010

This is a pt in her 20s being seen for a sore throat.  Hx of asthma, vertigo, migraines.  Only medication on her med list s/l "IM".  That is it.  Goes immediately to allergies from there.  Any clue what this could mean?  Nothing before or after to indicate an injection so it is not intramuscular.  Is IM an abbrievation for a medication of some kind that I am not aware of and can not find?  In short-HELP!  ...

Too Weird
Aug 09, 2010

I had 2 op notes from 08/06, then a discharge summary from 08/08.  I was getting all excited, thinking there was backlog and I was going to get work this Monday morning, then poof -- NJA.  Strange.  Why 3 old jobs and then nothing?  Overflow maybe?  Guess I could check the backlog, but I really forgot how and always seems pointless.  Never anything there.  I am typing jobs the second they are dictated, then sit and wait for the next one.  Sure that wo ...

This Is So Weird
Dec 03, 2013

this is so weird. I went into DocQmanage to get status for my BOB and come to find out, there's hardly anybody working. The hospitals I work on have at best only 1-2 people on them and they are so far behind!! Did everyone quit or something? ...

Wow, Something Weird Is Going On ...
Jan 23, 2014

There is definitely something weird with work flow this week.  Here it is Thursday and the entire west coast region has almost no work at all.  The account that I work on that ALWAYS has work has *2* little reports as I type this.  Just going down the list, I'm amazed - the ENTIRE west coast only has 400 reports.  Really?  What's going on this week? ...

Anyone With Playback Problem With Practical Part Of M*Modal Test? Sm
Mar 21, 2012

I had no problems wit the objectiv questions but when I tried to use the keyboard controls or foot pedal to transcribe the sample reports, wouldn't work, even after I downloaded their footpedal software from Career Step.  ...

Express Scribe - I CANNOT Figure Out How To Create A Playback Time
Aug 06, 2012

I downloaded the free trial of ES on my computer which runs Windows 7. For some reason I CANNOT figure out how to create a playback time, the time when I lift my foot off the play pad and put it back on, and still hear some of what I JUST heard. You know what I mean. I have tried changing the numbers of what I think are the correct "playback controls," but to no avail. Will someone help me, please? TIA! ...

Feeling Weird
May 22, 2010

Has any body every noticed how you find companies that seem interested in you and want to hire you, but if you ask them to look up stuff it takes them forever?I had this one company who was interested in me but when I told them I use a mac computer, which I realize now was my mistake, I get the attitude "See you later"? ...

Weird Question...
Sep 29, 2010

Hi all, I have kind of a weird question. Does anyone else have trouble finding a new job other than MT? I am looking at clerical type work again as I cannot stand being an MT anymore, working from home, NJA, not enough money to support myself, etc. Anyway, I have been applying to any and all jobs FT or PT that are not gas stations or bartending. I've applied everywhere practically within 40 miles from my home in any type of job out there and yet either hear nothing at all, which really ir ...

Weird Printer
Jun 23, 2012

I just sent a document to my Hewlett Packard printer and set it for 3 copies.  The first copy was fine.  The second and third copies looked like a new language.  On further inspection, it was obvious that each letter of the alphabet and number was offset by one.  In other words, a became b, b became c, 1 became 2, etc.  When I sent a request to print just one more copy at a time, it printed just fine.  This is undoubtedly the strangest thing that I've ever had ...

Weird, Plagarism?
Jan 17, 2014

The latest job for Hem/Onc by One-on-One something or other's ad is verbatim the SmartDoc ad. Seems really weird to me. ...

Weird E-mail
Mar 17, 2015

Just looked at my e-mail inbox.  There is an e-mail stating the following: From:  MyFax Subject:  Fax #3050126 I did NOT open it.  Did anyone else get this?  Figuring it is not a good one but rather something to blow out/up my computer. ...

Weird Command When Editing?
Mar 21, 2011

I have noticed this a few times now.  About halfway into a report, when I hit ctrl+shift+m to jump to where the text is, the cursor goes to the very end of the document.  Whenever I hit ctrl+shift+m after that, it goes directly to the end, never to where the text/audio is synched.  Is there a command that makes this happen that I am doing accidentally?  Anyone know how to reverse this.  It is soooo annoying to not be able to jump directly to where I want to be!! Thanks. ...

Weird Linkedin Contact Sm
Jul 08, 2012

Hey guys - i got this Linkedin message from this guy - don't know what to think of it and wanted another opinion. I am feeling i should ignore it and that is spam of some sort - any thoughts?  Dr Nayan Mali Healthcare Dear Lorie, we require medical transcriber for 2hr TAT workmen's compensation work. Let me know your interest. Thanks for your quick response in advance. Dr Nayan ...

Weird Abbreviation-please Comfirm
Oct 09, 2012

This is my gyne oncologist and he is very clearly saying "the patient underwent a TDH/BSO." Not a TLH or a TAH, a TDH. I don't find confirmation of that anywhere. Anyone hear of this??? ...

Another Weird Thing - No TLs On Either IM Program.
Dec 17, 2012

nm ...

Weird Question About Financial Aid For School
Jun 30, 2013

Hi guys, I will go to the local UE office this week and check this out but I was just curious right now..does anyone know if there's any special funding for those who lost jobs due to technology? LOL I know that sounds odd but there are so many programs now and I'm not even sure what to ask for. See, I just got laid off due to voice WRECK and the doctors doing their own editing. I will be drawing unemployment but I am not sure how long I can get it. I am going to go to ultrasound tech ...

Weird Message From Facebook Page
Sep 02, 2013

got this in my Other box Hi, Ms. ### I am a good Quality Controller working 10 years for transcription, and worked for M-Modal but he is subcontractor and paying me so less. Can you please arrange M-Modal ID or work for me....i will be very thankful to you   Of course this person has an Indian name. Says he is MT/QC at Pulstech Transcription, Brisun Technologies & Caren Technologies Past: job corps and Brainstorm ...