A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Shorthand macro question - medtrans

Posted: Sep 16, 2013

I am new to Shorthand.  Is there a macro for putting an automatic space after a comma, semicolon, etc.?  I have ones someone else wrote for two spaces after periods.  So far I am not that great at making my own macros. 

I have registered at Productivity Talk and follow the SH forum, but am not allowed to look at the posts I really need.  I get an error message that I don't have permission and the admin hasn't responded back yet.

Shorthand user - this might help

[ In Reply To ..]

I've used SH for 3 years.  I'm not on my home PC right now, so will try to remember by rote.  To make sure I understand, do you want to make just 1 space after a period and a colon?  Like this: There is only one space.  Instead of like this:  There are 2 spaces here.  The same for periods.

Is this what you mean?  If so, I would go to the SH screen to add a new macro.  In the first box, type .  (Two spaces after the period.)

In the phrase box below, type . and 1 space, then save.  The same with colons, semi-colons, and commas. 

Does this help?

Thank you. That's what I needed. - medtrans

[ In Reply To ..]

Happy to help - SH user

[ In Reply To ..]
Great! I'm glad it worked.
Just remember when using it in lab values - not to get 0. 012 or similar NM
[ In Reply To ..]
You will get a period space in the middle of any lab value with a period in it.
Thanks. - medtrans
[ In Reply To ..]
I actually only needed it for commas and semicolons. I just switched over from IT and got used to the automatic spaces.

Similar Messages:

PC SHORTHAND - Make A Macro?
Mar 30, 2013

Hey everyone, I am new to shorthand.  I was hoping someone could help me make a macro.  I am trying to make a macro for ALT+L, D.  I know how to do key control and then pick a key, but staring with ALT has me confused.  I would appreciate any help.  Thank you. ...

Macro Help!!! Please!!!
Oct 27, 2014

Hi:  I am hoping someone can help me with the above.  I don't have much experience in the macro tools (although I have one to jump from field to field).  This doctor is a psychiatrist who examines a client and then reports his findings sometimes to attorneys. He constantly in his report will want to quote and bold a statement or set of statements even within the same sentence.  So he will say, Mr. ?? said quote bold blah, blah blah quote unbold, and then stated again quo ...

MS Word Macro Help
Jun 02, 2010

It has been so long since I needed to do this - the macro to do this is on a long dead computer.  I am creating macros for particular reports.  After the heading and the :  I would space twice and put a /.  I had a macro that was called by the person who created it originally I suppose, pause.  I copied that macro (named it pause) as a separate macro and assisgned it a keystroke (let's say F5).  Then when I pulled up say the op note macro, to move to the next f ...

Any Macro Experts?
May 14, 2013

So I have all these templates to pull into a single document all the time depending on what the patient is being seen for.  I also have to put the name, dob, etc, in a particular place in all of these templates.  Is there anyway to make a macro that will ask me the pertinent info up front and then when done it all just populates ready for me to just type?  This is in Word by the way. ...

Help With Macro For Word 2002/XP
Jun 09, 2010

Hey everyone. Why is my macro disappearing everytime I close word?  I don't normally use macros but for this instance I am.  I just created a simple macro by going into Tools, make new macro, etc.  I test it out on word and it works.  When I close out the word program and bring it back up and run that macro I just created it is not there.  I'm not well versed with macros so I wrote down that it was saving it as a normal.dot (global template).  Can anyone ...

Word Expander Or Macro?
Nov 20, 2010

Which is better? What are the differences? I have been using macros in MS Word. I downloaded a trial version of a shorthand program once, but it was a little confusing and it seemed much more involved than recording a macro. Any advice/opinions appreciated! ...

MS Word Macro Question
May 16, 2011

I've been having problems with my macros "sticking."  I'll make one, and the next day it doesn't work.  I'll go into the list of macros and it'll still be there, but the command won't work. I just made one that removes the cc line if it isn't used. I'm curious to see if it's still there when I log back in tomorrow.  Any idea why this happens?  I was a pro at editing my macros in the dinosaur days of DOS but not now, so I don' ...

Macro To Add Drug To AutoCorrect
Feb 16, 2013

(risedronate sodium) tablets Sub ChangeControl1Key() CustomizationContext = ActiveDocument.AttachedTemplate KeyBindings.Add KeyCode:=BuildKeyCode(wdKeyControl, wdKey1), _     KeyCategory:=wdKeyCategoryMacro, Command:="AddMedToAutoCorrect" End Sub Sub AddMedToAutoCorrect() Dim BrandString, GenericString, Title, Message, LittleString Title = "WordExpress Transcriptions" Message = "Type in brand name of medication as you would like it " _ & "to appear in your text:" ...

Need Help With A Certain Macro/expander In Editscript
Aug 20, 2013

I am trying to make a macro/expander for "-year-old" and in order for the expander to work right it needs a backspace but I don't know how to put a backspace in. Can anyone please tell me how. ...

Calling Macro Diva
Sep 29, 2013

Just wondering if it's okay/possible to put my "Call" macros back towards the end of General_Macro? And if so, where?  I tried moving them to just before End Sub and also before Page 1:Selection..., but those locations didn't work.  I'm getting an occasional errant "g" or "L" (apparently related to the GramLiter macro) at the very beginning of my VR text when I run it now, which I didn't have at all before when the "called' macros were at the end.  Was part of the fix ...

Paging Macro Diva
Jan 19, 2014

Would enjoy talking with Macro Diva about all things macro!  I've written one big macro with which I preprocess virtually all of my transcribed documents.  First, it identifies the document template type, e.g., office note, letter, hospital discharge, echocardiogram, PV study, etc.  It then displays a dialog box with drop-down lists from which I select the ordering physician, dictating physician, date of study, date dictated. etc.  (The date of transcription is, of ...

Calling On Macro Diva Again, If You're Still About.
May 15, 2014

I don't know where to begin with trying to record a macro for this need myself.  On my main account, we're required to list meds without any following punctuation, but due to other MTSOs also subbing on it (who apparently don't have any specs or just don't have to follow the same specs we do), the lists invariably come through on VR with totally inconsistent punctuation.  Such as this: MEDICATIONS:Ativan,ZofranDexamethasone.DiltiazemLanoxin. But should be this: M ...

Word Macro Suggestions
Jun 12, 2014

Hi, I was wonder what program you would suggest for a macro program for Word 2003.   If there is a free version, that would be helpful; but any good program would be good. Thank you or your help, Diane :) ...

Macro In Word To Go Back And Capitalize Something?
Apr 20, 2010

Every once in a while my shift key doesn't take and I have a sentence started without a capital letter.  Is there an way to create a macro that can go back and do that so that I don't have to either backspace out or stop and go back and correct and then carry on? I'm thinking to do a find function to go find the last period and then tell it to skip to the next letter, but I'm not entirely sure how that would go. If anyone's got any suggestions, I'd really app ...

Creating A Jump Macro On Radnet
Sep 20, 2010

I use Radnet...Can anyone tell me how to create and use a jump macro for this program?  I have asked at my company but no one knew what a 'jump macro' was.  Perhaps called something else?  I know how to do it in Word but havent figured it out yet for Radnet.  Thanks. ...

How Can I Macro Word To Elimate Spaces---
Dec 16, 2010

I am editing using a word based program and the text populates with spaces in between the ROS and PE sections every time.  I have to manually go to each line and eliminate the space.  My hand is taking a beating.  I would like to know if I could find a function that when I highlight that section would make that particular space one between each line instead of two.  I hope I am explaining this right.  The spaces right now are 2 spaces in between each section.  ...

Macro To Add Drug To AutoCorrect/Instructions
Feb 16, 2013

I am posting the information here on how to use this macro and what it does.  I will follow this with another post that has the actual macros (there are two of them.) Basically this macro adds your drug to your autocorrect in lower case, and then autocorrects to the way it should appear.  But you need to type into the box the way you want the drug to look.  For example, AcipHex.  You would type in "AcipHex" into the box but what is entered into autocorrect is:  "aciphex ...

Making Macro And Keyboard Short-cut
Nov 10, 2013

I made a macro with a keyboard shortcut in my local version of Word.  Does anyone out there know how to make it run in EditScript?  I'm using v10 right now.  I did make sure not to use a shortcut that EditScript already uses. Thanks! ...

Switched To Word 2010 And Now I Need To Create Macro
Nov 30, 2011

I just switched to Word 2010 and now I need to create Macros.  I'm lost.  Is there anyone who can help?  So far all the instructions people have given are for Word 2007 and it's just gotten me more confused. ...

STANDALONE MACRO WRITING PROGRAMS/SOFTWARE
Jun 04, 2012

hello, i like to automate or "macro-ize" every single step of the transcription process. every second counts!  however, i cannot choose a macro program (free or for a charge) that works the most efficiently for MTs and does not interfere with any platforms which often have macros written into them.  the easier it is to program and use, the better.  for instance, trying to write a series of macros in MS Word has the potential of botching up many platform macros--and could ...

In DQS7.1, Where Is The Expander/macro File? I Can't Find It. Please Help! Nm
Sep 23, 2012

. ...

Macro To Automatically Correct Numbered List
Dec 09, 2012

Hey guys, this is for all the editscript users or people who can't use the auto list function in word.  This macro will run through a list that looks like this: 2.  cat. 9.  dog 10. bird. 2.  fish. and corrects the numbers to look like this: 1.  cat. 2.  dog. 3.  bird. 4.  fish.   It stops after the list so nothing else gets changed.    To use it, create an empty macro and assign a hot key.  Then go in to edit the macr ...

How To Make A Small Keystroke Macro In MS Word
Aug 13, 2014

MS Word 2007,  I have the autocorrect lightning icon at the top.   Instead of mousing up there and clicking each time,  I would like to use a prior keystroke combination I had years ago at hospitals of  "ctrl, ctrl" and autocorrect starts.   Is it just a simple macro to create to do this,  or something more complicated?    I'm re-creating an autocorrect list from scratch after a complete reinstall, so I'd like to save my hands, time, ...

Need Simple Word 2010 Macro For Copy/Paste
Feb 14, 2014

I've been using Instant Text for years but realized that there are probably quite a few macros I could create in Word 2010 to make certain repetitive commands a lot easier for me.  I know the basics of creating a macro in Word but cannot for the life of me figure out how to create a macro to do this: I want to copy text,(i.e. from a Preoperative Diagnosis) and have it pasted into the next line after the heading Postoperative Diagnosis when the dictator says "same." I tried recording ...

Here's Another Shorthand Tip...
Oct 17, 2009

Someone recently had an issue with Shorthand and Autocorrect both operating at the same time, and they were apparently fighting with each other, because both of them had some of the same expansions/corrections, so the user was getting duplicate text. I finally worked out a system for myself where Shorthand is used for actual expansions, shortcuts, etc. Autocorrect is restricted to correcting misspelled and mis-capitalized words.If I have done it correctly, never the twain should meet, and I can ...

Shorthand V10 Help
Jun 16, 2011

I've been using Shorthand all along on my work computer and love it, particularly the fact that it works anywhere - email, Word, platforms, etc.    I recently downloaded the trial version for my home computer, but, while it works fine in Word documents, it won't work at all anywhere else.  Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? ...

ShortHand - What's So Different About It?
Feb 11, 2012

Ok, I downloaded Short Hand expander program but, for the life of me, it looks just like the standard auto expander/auto correct that comes with word. I've looked over the very brief tutorial that came with it and I don't see where this will increase my productivity anymore than my current Word-based AC/AE work for me. All those Short Hand experts out there (and I believe there are at least a few of you), can someone tell me how this works differently than what I'm already usin ...

Shorthand/MS-DOS
Jun 08, 2012

Does anyone know if Shorthand will work in MS-DOS?  Thanks. ...

I Need Shorthand 10
Feb 19, 2013

Do you have a Shorthand 10 program to spare me that's not limited only for 30 days?  I just updated to Windows 7 and badly needs a shorthand expander compatible for Windows 7.here's my email just in case:top_v_gun@yahoo.com Thanks!  ...

Are Any Of You Who Use Shorthand Getting
Dec 11, 2013

that message again about your Shorthand license will expire in ??? days?   Just wondering if it's just me ~ or they trying to tell me I will not have a job in 20 days?   ...