A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Macro to add drug to AutoCorrect/Instructions - macroLady

Posted: Feb 16, 2013

I am posting the information here on how to use this macro and what it does.  I will follow this with another post that has the actual macros (there are two of them.)

Basically this macro adds your drug to your autocorrect in lower case, and then autocorrects to the way it should appear.  But you need to type into the box the way you want the drug to look.  For example, AcipHex.  You would type in "AcipHex" into the box but what is entered into autocorrect is:  "aciphex", and then this is replaced with "Aciphex."  

Then another box will appear prompting you for the generic name (which is usually all in lower case) but again you need to type it in as you want it to appear in your text.  The generic name for AcipHex is risedronate sodium, so you would type that into the second box.

Then whenever you need to know the generic name of Aciphex you would type Aciphex and ?? (aciphex ??) and you would get on your screen Aciphex (risedronate sodium), if you want to get rid of risedronate sodium you would type a "/" and the screen goes back to Aciphex:  

"Aciphex (risedronate sodium)" changes back to "Aciphex".  

On the other hand if you just want the generic you would type an equal sign.  

"Aciphex (risedronate sodium)=" changes to "risedronate sodium".

I also added in an allowance for a period and a comma, so you don't have to backspace to insert these, as I added a space to the expanded med because this macro works better that way.

I debated whether or not to reverse this, so that if you wanted to type out the generic name and question marks, you could get the brand name, but because a generic may have more than one brand, I decided it would be better to create a second macro for this, which I will do and post later.

Also, I customized the control-1 (one) key to run this macro.  You will need to run this macro if you want to use control-1 to access the macro.

I would suggest putting these macros in a seperate template, and using as a global template addin.  If you do this, change the name of the macro "ChangeControl1Key" to "autoexec"  so that it will automatically change your control-1 key.  Perhaps someone who understands how to do this, will post thei info, as I need to get to work in a few minutes. 

I hope this makes sense, you can write me if it does not.

Huh??? - totallylost

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not quite clear what this does. Seems way too complicated and easier just to type the corrections into Autocorrect.

I do that manually - Snow Bunny (the original)

[ In Reply To ..]
Alt-T, A
type the way it's typed in box 1
Tab Key
type the way it should appear in box 2
Click OK

I'm done.

YOU ARE MISUNDERSTANDING THIS MACRO - macroLady

[ In Reply To ..]

This is a reference tool, not meant to simply enter the
correct spelling of a word into Autocorrect. 
In that case, your   âALT-T, Aâ works well enough for that.  This macro is intended to take advantage of
autocorrect to use as a reference, it attaches information to a drug (or a laboratory
test, or a definition to a word, etc.,) and then gives you an easy, one
keystroke way,  to get rid of it, so you
donât have to go online or whatever to look something up.   Think
outside the box! 

I would think my macro was sophisticated enough, that you
could consider assuming I am reasonably intelligent, and just might have
something useful to offer.

Yes, you can do it all these steps manually in autocorrect
but it is a heck of a lot more typing and time to set it up, and there is
always the chance when entering this information multiple times, into
autocorrect to access the different functions, you might inadvertently change
the spacing or mistype a word, in which case the autocorrect change wonât
change and you have spent a whole of time for nothing.   

I have had many occasions over the years when I have needed
to find out what the generic is for a drug (or vice versa.)   This
is why I wrote this macro and why I find it extremely useful, particularly for medications.

You are not understanding this macro at all!   I do
acute care for a large teaching hospital, and I use it all the time, it increases
my accuracy and it SAVES TIME!   And I wouldnât have bothered doing this or
using it, if it was a timewaster, or was just as easy and as fast to do this manually. 

Here again is what the macro does:

All you enter into the first screen is the brand name of the
drug, the second screen the generic. 
That is it.  These are the
autocorrect expansions it creates:

Actosplus Met ??  
CHANGES TO:

Actosplus Met (pioglitazone and metformin)

ADD A SLASH

Actosplus Met (pioglitazone and metformin)

CHANGES BACK TO: 

Actosplus Met

Or TYPE AN EQUAL SIGN

Actosplus Met (pioglitazone and metformin)=

THIS CHANGES TO:

pioglitazone and metformin

If you want, you can add more information to the second
screen as well, typical dosages, what the drug is used for, etc., which I have
done for some rarely used drugs, as well as  for terms that are similar and easily mixed up:

navel (umbilicus)

naval (pertaining to a navy)

or

its (possessive)

itâs (contraction)

Typing the slash then gets rid of the parentheses and the information
within.   

In Instant Text this can be done with the - Display As box

[ In Reply To ..]

You would have a short form acp to expand to either Aciphex or risedronate sodium

The first entry would have a Display form: Aciphex with a comment like *brand name*.

The second entry would have a Display form: risedronate sodium *generic name for Aciphex* or whatever other comment which, of course, will not expand. It just will be visible for your to see in the advisory.

More about this for those who use Instant Text 7 at link below.

Similar Messages:

Macro To Add Drug To AutoCorrect
Feb 16, 2013

(risedronate sodium) tablets Sub ChangeControl1Key() CustomizationContext = ActiveDocument.AttachedTemplate KeyBindings.Add KeyCode:=BuildKeyCode(wdKeyControl, wdKey1), _     KeyCategory:=wdKeyCategoryMacro, Command:="AddMedToAutoCorrect" End Sub Sub AddMedToAutoCorrect() Dim BrandString, GenericString, Title, Message, LittleString Title = "WordExpress Transcriptions" Message = "Type in brand name of medication as you would like it " _ & "to appear in your text:" ...

DQS 6.1 Instructions
Sep 07, 2010

Is there a way to put the DQS 6.1 instructions as a shortcut on our desktops?  It sure would make life easier than having to go through MQCentral every time we have a question while in the middle of a report.  I tried making a shortcut but it didn't work. ...

New Instructions For NJA
Mar 19, 2013

Instructions per supervisor, if out of work, after filling out Remedy ticket, go to teamwork and choose Excused Absence-No Work. I can' find this under Team Work. Can anyone tell me how to enter this in Team Work? ...

Macro Help!!! Please!!!
Oct 27, 2014

Hi:  I am hoping someone can help me with the above.  I don't have much experience in the macro tools (although I have one to jump from field to field).  This doctor is a psychiatrist who examines a client and then reports his findings sometimes to attorneys. He constantly in his report will want to quote and bold a statement or set of statements even within the same sentence.  So he will say, Mr. ?? said quote bold blah, blah blah quote unbold, and then stated again quo ...

Nine Pages Of Instructions For New BOB
Jun 24, 2010

To anyone who got the 9 pages of instructions from the new CCM:   Can you make heads or tails of these instructions and screenshots!?   Hit ctrl twice, then go back and make sure the old patient's name isn't in the field, then ctrl L, then fill in the dictated for, make sure it's who they say it is, then stand on your head while underwater weaving a basket... OMG the new work started to roll in today (PHHS) and I am having to jump back and forth from the ...

New Instructions For UltiPro, But Will Not Let Me In. Sm
Jan 12, 2011

Are we not full accessible to the UltiPro yet?   Got instructions and I got onto the UltiPro site, but when I put in my email and birthdate it said not compatible or inactive????  So, should I just wait until Friday?   ...

Instructions To Dictators O P E N Y O U R M O U T H A N D
Mar 09, 2011

t a l k.  it    would    make   my   life  much   easier   if   you    would  talk  normally and  not  like   you  are  either  a racehorserunninginthekentuckyderby or   the  tortoise  racing  the  hare  and    that     we   d   o   n  o  t ...

Can Someone Give Me Instructions
Jul 21, 2013

Mini rant:  Like what, they're worried some unauthorized person will sneak onto your computer and do a few reports?     Anyway have tried going into  the Fluency utilities, logging off Fluency and changing it, no luck.  Have tried cut and paste URL for Fluency without logging in and no luck.  Just asking because I don't especially want to spend an hour with Kumar/Phil at tech support if I can avoid it.  Thanks.   ...

Facility Instructions
Oct 11, 2013

Can anyone tell me what the MTSOs call the set of medical facility transcription instructions that you are given when assigned to an account? ...

Anyone Have The Download Instructions For 7.6
Jan 12, 2015

I lost the e-mail I was sent.  Hate to call IT.  ...

Discharge Instructions
May 12, 2015

The patient was discharged on "4 IV ORI"  The patient is in for rehydration.  ...

MS Word Macro Help
Jun 02, 2010

It has been so long since I needed to do this - the macro to do this is on a long dead computer.  I am creating macros for particular reports.  After the heading and the :  I would space twice and put a /.  I had a macro that was called by the person who created it originally I suppose, pause.  I copied that macro (named it pause) as a separate macro and assisgned it a keystroke (let's say F5).  Then when I pulled up say the op note macro, to move to the next f ...

Any Macro Experts?
May 14, 2013

So I have all these templates to pull into a single document all the time depending on what the patient is being seen for.  I also have to put the name, dob, etc, in a particular place in all of these templates.  Is there anyway to make a macro that will ask me the pertinent info up front and then when done it all just populates ready for me to just type?  This is in Word by the way. ...

Instructions For Edit Script
Jan 30, 2010

I would like to get an early jump on learning this program. Is there a list of instructions or manual somewhere that I can download? ...

9 Pages Of Instructions For QCare
Aug 02, 2010

Did y'all read the 9 pages of instructions for QCare.  This really bugs me that I have to take my uncompensated time to read these new directions.  Whose life is this making easier?  Not our's, as usual.  ...

No Instructions On How To Leave Blanks
Dec 15, 2011

Hi, I'm a newbie. If an employer's test instructions say it is not ok to guess, is it ok to leave a "blank" with what you THINK the dr. said? In other words, perhaps like this: <tachycardia>, or is it better not to put what you think he said and just put a plain old blank? any help on this would be great. thanks! ...

Epic Radiology Instructions
Jul 14, 2012

The hospital I work for is switching to Epic soon. We were given an instruction workbook but its very confusing. I've tried to make myself a cheat sheet, but can't figure it out. Does anyone have a cheat sheet or some simple instructions for epic radiology transcription? I know its different at each hospital, but maybe I can make some sense of it. Please help. ...

Accentus Test Instructions
Oct 31, 2012

Should have searched here before testing.  The instructions said to use a semicolon so that's what I did.  Thought it was awkward and strange, but following instructions.  Now I see people have failed the test following those same instructions.  That just sucks.  Now I wait for my reject letter. ...

Help With Macro For Word 2002/XP
Jun 09, 2010

Hey everyone. Why is my macro disappearing everytime I close word?  I don't normally use macros but for this instance I am.  I just created a simple macro by going into Tools, make new macro, etc.  I test it out on word and it works.  When I close out the word program and bring it back up and run that macro I just created it is not there.  I'm not well versed with macros so I wrote down that it was saving it as a normal.dot (global template).  Can anyone ...

Word Expander Or Macro?
Nov 20, 2010

Which is better? What are the differences? I have been using macros in MS Word. I downloaded a trial version of a shorthand program once, but it was a little confusing and it seemed much more involved than recording a macro. Any advice/opinions appreciated! ...

MS Word Macro Question
May 16, 2011

I've been having problems with my macros "sticking."  I'll make one, and the next day it doesn't work.  I'll go into the list of macros and it'll still be there, but the command won't work. I just made one that removes the cc line if it isn't used. I'm curious to see if it's still there when I log back in tomorrow.  Any idea why this happens?  I was a pro at editing my macros in the dinosaur days of DOS but not now, so I don' ...

PC SHORTHAND - Make A Macro?
Mar 30, 2013

Hey everyone, I am new to shorthand.  I was hoping someone could help me make a macro.  I am trying to make a macro for ALT+L, D.  I know how to do key control and then pick a key, but staring with ALT has me confused.  I would appreciate any help.  Thank you. ...

Shorthand Macro Question
Sep 16, 2013

I am new to Shorthand.  Is there a macro for putting an automatic space after a comma, semicolon, etc.?  I have ones someone else wrote for two spaces after periods.  So far I am not that great at making my own macros.  I have registered at Productivity Talk and follow the SH forum, but am not allowed to look at the posts I really need.  I get an error message that I don't have permission and the admin hasn't responded back yet. ...

Need Help With A Certain Macro/expander In Editscript
Aug 20, 2013

I am trying to make a macro/expander for "-year-old" and in order for the expander to work right it needs a backspace but I don't know how to put a backspace in. Can anyone please tell me how. ...

Calling Macro Diva
Sep 29, 2013

Just wondering if it's okay/possible to put my "Call" macros back towards the end of General_Macro? And if so, where?  I tried moving them to just before End Sub and also before Page 1:Selection..., but those locations didn't work.  I'm getting an occasional errant "g" or "L" (apparently related to the GramLiter macro) at the very beginning of my VR text when I run it now, which I didn't have at all before when the "called' macros were at the end.  Was part of the fix ...

Paging Macro Diva
Jan 19, 2014

Would enjoy talking with Macro Diva about all things macro!  I've written one big macro with which I preprocess virtually all of my transcribed documents.  First, it identifies the document template type, e.g., office note, letter, hospital discharge, echocardiogram, PV study, etc.  It then displays a dialog box with drop-down lists from which I select the ordering physician, dictating physician, date of study, date dictated. etc.  (The date of transcription is, of ...

Calling On Macro Diva Again, If You're Still About.
May 15, 2014

I don't know where to begin with trying to record a macro for this need myself.  On my main account, we're required to list meds without any following punctuation, but due to other MTSOs also subbing on it (who apparently don't have any specs or just don't have to follow the same specs we do), the lists invariably come through on VR with totally inconsistent punctuation.  Such as this: MEDICATIONS:Ativan,ZofranDexamethasone.DiltiazemLanoxin. But should be this: M ...

Word Macro Suggestions
Jun 12, 2014

Hi, I was wonder what program you would suggest for a macro program for Word 2003.   If there is a free version, that would be helpful; but any good program would be good. Thank you or your help, Diane :) ...

Tested For TranSolutions And Instructions Said To Use Semicolon After . . .
Feb 17, 2010

. . after headings.  I did this but think that is the reason why I did not score well on the transcription part of testing with 18 years experience.  Have you had a similar experience?  (i know some people mix up colon and semicolon and wonder if directions meant colon?!) ...

Does Anyone Have A Copy Of The Lanier LX-219-1 Instructions Manuel
Apr 12, 2010

Good morning, Could I please have a copy.   TIA ...