A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Word Expander or Macro? - starry

Posted: Nov 20, 2010

Which is better? What are the differences? I have been using macros in MS Word. I downloaded a trial version of a shorthand program once, but it was a little confusing and it seemed much more involved than recording a macro. Any advice/opinions appreciated!

macro vs word expander - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I find macros very time consuming.

I use the MS Word AutoText and AutoCorrect functions for word/phrase expansion.

These functions are very sophisticated, work beautifully, are realy easy to use, and cost me nothing.

I use AutoText/AutoCorrect to complete sentences, phrases, paragraphs, addresses, words, etc.

At this point, virtually everything I type is abbreviated.

Here's the difference - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
A macro can do so much more than a word expander. All a word expander does is replace text. It literally looks for your shortcut text as you type and replaces it with the expansion you designate. A macro is a series of recorded steps.

Shorthand is NOTHING like recording a macro. LOL

Use Shorthand for your expander. You can take it with you anywhere.

Chances are, unless you are using a Word-based program, you will not be able to record macros with most platforms. So you are just wasting time. If you ARE able to record macros with your transcription platform, use them to do functions, not expansions.

Just read the instructions on Shorthand. It's easy and worth it. Back it up at the end of every shift when you have added to it. E-mail it to yourself so you have a copy and keep it on a jump drive. You'll always have it with you then!

Easy as pie! Ummm, pie! Now I'm hungry! LOL

Wink

It depends on the word expander - that you are using..sm

[ In Reply To ..]
For example, Instant Text is a word expander that replaces your text as described in the previous post; however, it can also execute basic commands such as bold font, templates, jump-to codes, etc. It can also execute a series of recorded steps in the same manner as a macro (using the Record in Client feature). So I guess it just depends on which word expander you are referring to.

I love how easy it is to string a lot of keyboard shortcuts in Instant Text - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
in one entry so I don't have to mess around with recording macros and trying to remember what shortcut I assigned to that macro. And with the new version 7 launch codes, I can now go anywhere I need to go on my computer with the keyboard!

Similar Messages:

Need Help With A Certain Macro/expander In Editscript
Aug 20, 2013

I am trying to make a macro/expander for "-year-old" and in order for the expander to work right it needs a backspace but I don't know how to put a backspace in. Can anyone please tell me how. ...

In DQS7.1, Where Is The Expander/macro File? I Can't Find It. Please Help! Nm
Sep 23, 2012

. ...

MS Word Macro Help
Jun 02, 2010

It has been so long since I needed to do this - the macro to do this is on a long dead computer.  I am creating macros for particular reports.  After the heading and the :  I would space twice and put a /.  I had a macro that was called by the person who created it originally I suppose, pause.  I copied that macro (named it pause) as a separate macro and assisgned it a keystroke (let's say F5).  Then when I pulled up say the op note macro, to move to the next f ...

Help With Macro For Word 2002/XP
Jun 09, 2010

Hey everyone. Why is my macro disappearing everytime I close word?  I don't normally use macros but for this instance I am.  I just created a simple macro by going into Tools, make new macro, etc.  I test it out on word and it works.  When I close out the word program and bring it back up and run that macro I just created it is not there.  I'm not well versed with macros so I wrote down that it was saving it as a normal.dot (global template).  Can anyone ...

MS Word Macro Question
May 16, 2011

I've been having problems with my macros "sticking."  I'll make one, and the next day it doesn't work.  I'll go into the list of macros and it'll still be there, but the command won't work. I just made one that removes the cc line if it isn't used. I'm curious to see if it's still there when I log back in tomorrow.  Any idea why this happens?  I was a pro at editing my macros in the dinosaur days of DOS but not now, so I don' ...

Word Macro Suggestions
Jun 12, 2014

Hi, I was wonder what program you would suggest for a macro program for Word 2003.   If there is a free version, that would be helpful; but any good program would be good. Thank you or your help, Diane :) ...

Macro In Word To Go Back And Capitalize Something?
Apr 20, 2010

Every once in a while my shift key doesn't take and I have a sentence started without a capital letter.  Is there an way to create a macro that can go back and do that so that I don't have to either backspace out or stop and go back and correct and then carry on? I'm thinking to do a find function to go find the last period and then tell it to skip to the next letter, but I'm not entirely sure how that would go. If anyone's got any suggestions, I'd really app ...

How Can I Macro Word To Elimate Spaces---
Dec 16, 2010

I am editing using a word based program and the text populates with spaces in between the ROS and PE sections every time.  I have to manually go to each line and eliminate the space.  My hand is taking a beating.  I would like to know if I could find a function that when I highlight that section would make that particular space one between each line instead of two.  I hope I am explaining this right.  The spaces right now are 2 spaces in between each section.  ...

Switched To Word 2010 And Now I Need To Create Macro
Nov 30, 2011

I just switched to Word 2010 and now I need to create Macros.  I'm lost.  Is there anyone who can help?  So far all the instructions people have given are for Word 2007 and it's just gotten me more confused. ...

How To Make A Small Keystroke Macro In MS Word
Aug 13, 2014

MS Word 2007,  I have the autocorrect lightning icon at the top.   Instead of mousing up there and clicking each time,  I would like to use a prior keystroke combination I had years ago at hospitals of  "ctrl, ctrl" and autocorrect starts.   Is it just a simple macro to create to do this,  or something more complicated?    I'm re-creating an autocorrect list from scratch after a complete reinstall, so I'd like to save my hands, time, ...

Need Simple Word 2010 Macro For Copy/Paste
Feb 14, 2014

I've been using Instant Text for years but realized that there are probably quite a few macros I could create in Word 2010 to make certain repetitive commands a lot easier for me.  I know the basics of creating a macro in Word but cannot for the life of me figure out how to create a macro to do this: I want to copy text,(i.e. from a Preoperative Diagnosis) and have it pasted into the next line after the heading Postoperative Diagnosis when the dictator says "same." I tried recording ...

Importing Bayscribe Word Expander Into Word 2010 Autocorrect
Jun 25, 2015

Is there a way to import or convert my Bayscribe word expander file (thousands of entries) into 2010 MS Word's autocorrect and/or dictionary?  Thank you. ...

Word Expander Program For WORD
Jan 29, 2012

Can anyone recommend a word expander program that they have used.  I have been doing transcription work for a local doctor for a few years and finally have decided to purchase this as I use word expander in other work I do for a transcription company.  I do not want to spend a lot but want to be sure when I purchase something that is it the best out there.  Thanks!  ...

Does Anyone Have A Word Expander?
Nov 03, 2009

Does anyone have a word expander? and how are they and do they work good. I need to get one. How much do they cost? ...

The Best Word Expander
Jan 30, 2011

What is everyone using for their word expander program?  I have been trying out ASUTYPE and like it so far. ...

Word Expander??
Feb 10, 2011

Does anyone know of a free program for short hand or word expander? ...

Best Word Expander
Jul 08, 2011

I'm looking for a word expander that really works well with the way I want to type.  I want a word expander that expands with any trigger, i.e, space bar, apostrophe, parenthesis, period, comma, etc. I also want an expander that allows me to build on an existing word without creating an inappropriate word.  For instance, my shortcut for lymphocytes is ly.  When the VR text gives my essential, and I want to turn it into essentially, I want to be able to add the ly t ...

Which Word Expander Do You Use?
Jul 16, 2011

I am wondering which word expander is the best. If you use one, which one do you use? How would you rate it? How much do you think it maximizes your productivity? ...

Which Is The Best Word Expander?
Dec 07, 2011

Which do you recommend and why? ...

What Is The Best Word Expander? Nm
Aug 17, 2013

nm ...

In Need Of A Dependable Word Expander.
Jan 12, 2010

I am looking for a dependable word expander.  I need one that is not too costly.   Thanks in advance for any replies. ...

Word Expander/spellchecker
Jan 29, 2010

Any recommendations for a good spellchecker and word expander program that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? ...

What Is The Best Word Expander To Purchase?
Mar 31, 2010

And how do you come up with everything you will need to add to it?  Thx. ...

Word Expander + Typos
May 26, 2010

I am in need of a text expander that also corrects typographical errors (i.e., corrects teh to the and iwll to will).  I know there are several text expander programs out there, but also want one that will correct my typos. Any advice/help you can offer will be greatly appreciated!  ...

Thinking About Getting A Word Expander
Oct 02, 2010

I am thinking about getting a word expander...other than autotext.  Any one have any good suggestions.  Would like as user-friendly as possible.  Thanks in advance. ...

Where Can I Get ESP Phrase Expander For Ms Word At
Nov 23, 2010

can any one help me,  i am looking for a place to get ESP phrase expander for MS wiondows at ...

Autocorrect/word Expander
Dec 08, 2010

Hi, I have recently updated my Office Word from 2003 to 2007. I knew where my autocorrect/word expander was in the old one, but the new version llooks a bit different. I am trying to locate where this is in my menu bar, does anyone know where I would find it? Thanks! ...

Keystrokes Word Expander
Sep 30, 2011

Does anyone know what kind of word expander Keystrokes uses?  TIA! ...

Bayscribe Word Expander - How To Use
Oct 04, 2011

I just started using bayscribe and had a 15 minute training. Can someone tell me how to use the word expander please? Thanks! ...

Word Expander For Transcription?
Dec 27, 2011

Can anyone tell me the name of the best expander for transcription? ...