A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro...need a new keyboard, any recommendations? - Speedy

Posted: Apr 03, 2010

Microsoft has discontinued these great keyboards and I need a new one.  Anybody aware of a split keyboard that has a really nice touch (remember those old IBM keyboards?) for transcription work by Microsoft or another brand that you really like? I'm open for suggestions please ; 0  My only complaint with this one is the keys are a bit clunky to press down (especially the space bar). 

Thanks!

I would also like a suggestion - LK

[ In Reply To ..]
I also have been using the Microsoft Natural Keyboard and was just sidelined by a sudden onset and new diagnosis of arthritis in the first CMC joint of my right thumb, which is the one that has to absolutely pound the space bar on this keyboard because it's so clunky. And I thought this thing was ergonomic! I'm going out keyboard shopping today and would especially appreciate suggestions of keyboards with a gentle touch on the space bar.

To LK... - Speedy

[ In Reply To ..]
I would love to hear about your shopping finds ;0

I'll report in when I return! nm - LK

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Happy camper - LK

[ In Reply To ..]
I came home with a Logitech Wave, on sale for $59 at Office Depot. It is an absolute dream. The touch is so light, especially noticeable on the spacer bar, which I had to pound on my Microsoft 4000 so-called "ergonomic keyboard." I am quite convinced that the constant pounding of my thumb is what brought on arthritis at the thumb joint of my right hand. I made a point of trying out keyboards at several stores, and this was by far the best. There may be better ones that can be ordered online, but because of my thumb problem I needed to actually try it and feel it to be convinced the touch was light on the spacer bar. I've been using this new keyboard all morning, and I think I'm going to love it!
Logitech Wave to LK - Speedy
[ In Reply To ..]
Sorry, took a few days off and just now replying. So, do you still like your new Logitech? What is the "wave" part of it?? Thanks!
I love it even more - LK
[ In Reply To ..]
I am absolutely amazed by the difference in this keyboard. I absolutely fly on it, and I think my line count is up at least 100 or 150 a day, plus it is so easy on my hands. I realize now how much effort I was having to put into pounding on my Microsoft Natural - ergonomic my @!$##!

I got the Logitech Wave wireless keyboard, and the wave refers to the wave-like configuration of the keys, similar to the wave on the Microsoft keyboard, but not nearly so exaggerated. It is not a split keyboard like the Microsoft. The touch is absolutely feather-light, and it's like magic! Never thought I could increase my line count so dramatically just by changing keyboards. I just fly on this thing!
To LK regarding Wave keyboard - dln
[ In Reply To ..]
I just have to say "thanks" LK! I went out and bought the Logitech Wave wireless at Office Depot a few days ago, having been a victim of the Microsoft "ergonomic" keyboard myself. I was a bit nervous as I have had a split keyboard for a long time, but this is wonderful! The keys are so light, and I love the fact you can reprogram the function keys! So, I just want to say "thanks" for some great advice! :))) Happy keyboarding!

keyboards - dln

[ In Reply To ..]
I myself am also looking for a new keyboard. I had been using the Microsoft Natural Ergo 4000 and had been relatively pleased with it; however, with the last two I have purchased various keys would stop working after only a few months and the space bar was really difficult to use (clunky). I am really at a loss as to what to try next. I have had to drag out my old Microsoft Natural Keyboard Elite that has all of the letters worn off but still works, albeit not the most comfortable situation for my hands.

I am really hoping somebody has a good recommendation. I have checked out the Kinesis keyboards on-line that a few people have recommended from this site in the past, but I really hate to buy something without trying it out. :)

stickers for keyboards - Lilikoi

[ In Reply To ..]
If you have a keyboard you like but the letters are worn off, you can get stickers to replace them. I got some from DataCal recently and they work well. I got the large type so that I can see the letters and symbols easily at a glance. The DataCal stickers don't wear off, either. I tried another brand first that did.

I remember trying a Kinesis keyboard some years back, and they did have a trial period of 60 days or so in which you can return it and get a full refund if you don't like it.

Microsoft Keyboard - 15+ exp

[ In Reply To ..]
I also use an original Microsoft ergonomic keyboard. The ones I have are 5-6 years old and work perfectly, not clunky at all. Keys can be reprogrammed to replace the spacebar. You can get new ones of the original Microsoft ergo keyboard on ebay - that's where I get mine (heck, get just about everything there).

I get mine really cheap on ebay too. I have several...sm - oldtimer

[ In Reply To ..]
backups in the closet just in case I can't get them anymore.

RE: Keyboard - klownmom

[ In Reply To ..]
I had trouble with that keyboard or another one. They discontinued it, said the problem was the keyboard. It worked fine for a while, but then quit working. They sent me a Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Desktop 7000. It is close to that, I think.

RE: Keyboard - klownmom

[ In Reply To ..]
Forgot. I am using now the old Microsoft Natural Keyboard, the white one. It works better than any of them to me. No problems with it. I love wireless, but got tired of having problems.

question regarding wireless - dln

[ In Reply To ..]
Quick question for you ~ I have heard a few people say that wireless keyboards are wonderful and others say they are not so wonderful (lag time, etc). I have not yet tried one. What sort of problems did you experience with the 7000? Were they with the wireless aspect of the keyboard or with the keyboard in general?

The Microsoft 4000 that I had been using was great except for the recent problems I had (keys not working, clunky spacebar). I think the 7000 is the same except that it's wireless (but don't quote me!) Thanks in advance! :)

Microsoft Natural Keyboard - Ellen S.

[ In Reply To ..]
Have you looked on the Amazon web site? That's where I got mine when I couldn't find one in the office supply stores. They are only about $33 brand new and you can also buy used ones in the 20-dollar range.

Microsoft Natural - Chow-ChowMom

[ In Reply To ..]
I have arthritis in my hands and I give much credit to the Microsoft Natural for keeping me able to do my job. I buy mine from amazon.com and they are wonderful!

Natural Keyboard - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
I use Microsoft Natural Keyboard Elite, I think it has a pretty nice touch. I have small hands and this one works for me. I get them from Dell because Staples and Office Depot don't sell them any more.

Similar Messages:

Microsoft Natural Keyboard Substitute
Feb 12, 2014

Now that they apparently no longer make the Microsoft Natural ergo keyboard (the original one), I am my wits' end knowing what to do.  My old one finally bit the dust.  I have arthritis and really depended on that keyboard.  Does anyone know of a good substitute?  (It cannot be wireless.)  Thanks so much in advance. ...

ISO Of Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Jan 26, 2015

My spacebar died, bought one off e-Bay, that did not last very long either.  They now say the Elite keyboards are "Vintage" charging over $100 for one new.  Thanks ...

Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 - Source?
Nov 14, 2013

Anyone know where I can get a new Microsoft Natural Ergo Keyboard 4000  for under $37.  Checked eBay, Google and Google shopping.    Thanks! ...

Looking For A New Keyboard To Replace MS Natural Elite.
Jun 30, 2013

Has anyone found a good replacement for their Microsoft Natural Elite keyboard? I'm trying to find something with the same, or very similar, keypad layout. I have a Kinesis Freestyle and just cannot get used to the placement. Very frustrating. I then bought a Microsoft Ergo 4000 and found out afterward many people (myself included) are complaining about a design flaw with the spacebar. An Amazon seller has a Natural Elite for $189, a bit out of my price range right now. So, if anyone has an ...

Recommendations For Keyboard
Feb 21, 2014

Any recommendations for a good keyboard? ...

Keyboard Recommendations Needed Please!
Oct 02, 2010

I have been an MT now for 10 years. My fingers and hands hurt horribly. I went yesterday and had nerve conduction studies done and I do NOT have carpal tunnel. The pain is just in my fingers. The doc says it is arthritis. I use the Microscoft Elite ergo keyboard which the doc believes kept me from getting carpal tunnel but I am looking for a soft touch keyboard and want to keep the split keys like what I have. Can anyone recommend a keyboard? I have tried typematrix and cannot use that. Also Kin ...

Microsoft Split Keyboard With Hand Controls
Jun 17, 2011

Hi Everyone,   Let me introduce myself, my name is Danna Rayton and I am a disabled veteran. I am currently a student at Kaplan University Online for Medical Transcription. I am writing you all due to a blog I read about a person wanting more information for her friend with spina bifida.  I know with having a foot injury from the military I will be have a hard time using the foot pedal myself. TranscriptionGear has a software program that will allow me to program hot keys an ...

Microsoft 4000 Keyboard Versus Logitech
Aug 28, 2014

i have been using the Microsoft 4000 keyboard for quite a few years now and love the shape and features, but it doesn't seem to last more then 5 or 6 months, so when it starts acting up I just order a new one off Amazon and keep the replacement close by until the old one dies.  When looking tonight for my next replacement, I spotted the Logitech wave combo mk550 wireless with a wireless mouse.  The keyboard is just a little different but the wireless part appeals to me.  I wo ...

Microsoft Used To Make A Soft Touch Keyboard But Stopped...
May 20, 2010

really miss that keyboard, I can't remember its name but they quit making it about 5-6 years ago.  Does ayone know of a comparable one?  Where you barely touch the keys and there is no click?    ...

Wave Keyboard Versus Ergonomic Split Keyboard
Apr 10, 2010

I was wondering if someone could tell me how using a wave keyboard compares to a split ergonomic keyboard.  Is the wave as comfortable to use?  TIA! ...

Anyone Using This Keyboard?
May 31, 2010

... the TypeMatrix (see link at bottom) If so (or otherwise) anyone using the Dvorak key layout?  Actually I was just trying to search for fast keyboards (as it seems like my keyboard is slow to react), and came across info on this.  Aside from the initial question, any tips on a regular keyboard with fast reaction and highlighting ability appreciated as well.  (I prefer an uncurved keyboard that isn't real large though.)  Thanks for any info you can give me! ...

What Keyboard Everyone Uses
Sep 05, 2010

Hi! Wondering what keyboards everyone uses. I currently have the logitech wave but think it is suffering a slow death and will be needing to purchase a new one soon. Any recommendations? Thanks! ...

Best Keyboard
Jun 21, 2011

I am going to be looking for a new keyboard.  I see most of you seem to like the split keyboard.  When I tried that at one time I couldn't get used to the 6 being on the wrong side of the keyboard (I use my right hand for it), for one thing.  Is this something you just get used to or do you all not have that problem to begin with?  Does anyone have an ergonomic keyboard that is not split that they like?  ...

Keyboard Help Please!
Nov 30, 2011

Please someone help.   Sometimes when I am typing my keyboard will just start typing wrong letters and/or numbers.   I have tried the num lock to no avail.   This only ever happens when I am typing on a platform.    Does anyone know a solution?  As always, thanks for any input! ...

Best Keyboard ???
Oct 16, 2012

Need a new keyboard and was wondering if any of you out there use a gaming keyboard for working as an MT?  If so, do you think they are better?  Which one would you recommend?  Thanks for your input. ...

DAS Keyboard?
Sep 03, 2013

Thinking about taking the plunge and investing in a DAS tactile keyboard.  It's a bigger investment than I've ever made in a keyboard. Does anyone here use a DAS keyboard or have used one?  If so, any feedback about it would be greatly appreciated.   TIA!!! ...

Need New Keyboard
Sep 13, 2014

Hello all, I am in need of a new keyboard.  I am using a Goldtouch now but the keyboard configuration does not really work for me, specifically the cntl, alt, and windows keys, as well as the home key.  I hit the wrong keys frequently, too much, and it hurts my production.  I do like the "touch" of it though.  I would like something that feels the same, a little bit spongy but not sticky.  Any suggestions.  TIA. ...

Keyboard
Jun 25, 2015

Hello, I am using a Microsoft split keyboard that is just about worn out and would like to know what most of you are using now. After using a split keyboard I do not think I could go back to a regular keyboard. Also, I keep the keyboard slanted to the left slightly which is more comfortable for me, probably because I am left-handed, but it does make to getting to some of the keys on my right hand a little difficult. Anyhow, just curious to see what most of you are using now. Thanks. ...

What Is The Best Type Of Keyboard?
Oct 13, 2009

I have a REALLY old, loud COMPAQ keyboard.  I am going to buy a new one soon.  What are the best kinds for transcription?  With mine, you really have to punch down on the keys, and I know that a lot of the newer ones are much easier to press.  Any ideas? ...

Keyboard Issues
Dec 07, 2009

Is anyone else having problems with their keyboard not working properly and sticking when in DocQScribe?  I changed the batteries in my keyboard but that didn't help.  This is an on and off problem in the past few days and I can't figure out if it's my keyboard, my computer, or DocQScribe.  ...

Quiet Keyboard
Jan 11, 2010

Hi all, Hoping this is on the "write" board. I'm looking for a keyboard for my Dell desktop that's quieter...like a laptop keyboard is. Any suggestions of model, where I can look, etc.? Personal experience with one is preferred... Thanks!! J ...

Footpedal Or Keyboard.sm
Mar 19, 2010

For those of you who are experienced with VR, do you use the footpedal to control the audio or the keyboard.   I am new to this.  I am used to using the footpedal but have heard from a couple of others that using the keyboard to control audio seems to be faster for them. I would like some opinions please.  Also, maybe you could tell me how long your learning curve was.  How long did it take to get your speed up to the point that you were making what you could make trans ...

Keyboard Protector
May 01, 2010

Does anybody use a keyboard protector/cover.  I am on my third keyboard this year due to spilling accidents (I think I better get a sippy cup).  Does a cover effect your typing at all? ...

Go To * Keyboard Stroke
May 06, 2010

Does anyone know how to create a keyboard stroke to "go to" a * in Word 2007?  For example:  Physical Exam:  Respirations *, Weight *, etc.  When you have a template or macro for the PE and you need to just go to the * and fill in............ Thanks so much! Nana ...

Dirty Keyboard
May 09, 2010

I am using a keyboard that I really like but over time, the keys are getting harder to hit and seem to be "sticking" somewhat  I was going to buy another one but I can't find one just like the one I have already.  Do any of you have any tips for cleaning the keyboard, besides canned air, to help with the keys?  Thanks in advance and hope you all have a great evening! ...

Keyboard Shortcuts
Sep 12, 2010

I read on one of these boards (darned if I can find if) something about using keyboard shortcuts. Several people mentioned they us ????. Unfortunately all I can rember is it started with an A and had 3 letters!!! Sorry, the brain does not remember what else there was to it. Any of you smart ladies out there figure out what I am trying to say??? Thanks for the help! ...

How To Fix Wear On Keyboard?
Jan 14, 2011

Does anyone know how to stop premature wear on the keyboard?....I just got a new one about two months ago and the letters are starting to wear away already! ...

Ergo Keyboard
Jan 22, 2011

What is the best ergonomic keyboard to use? I really like using a wireless keyboard. ...

When Do You Replace Your Keyboard
Jun 14, 2011

I'm trying to stockpile a 2-year supply (wishful thinking?) of Memorex TS1100 keyboards.  I don't think they are being made any more, so I find them on eBay. I use them untill all the print is off the letter keys, all the plastic is gone from several of the letters leaving the metal exposed, there is a piece missing on the space bar where my right thumb goes, and then I dump them.  Do you think I should them longer than this.  I've only ever had one STOP working (I ...

Favorite Keyboard, Anyone?
Feb 22, 2011

I'm looking at everything from old IBM clackers to Kinesis to Logitech to those funky as all get-out flat rubber keyboards a poster below mentioned. Input anyone as to why a certain keyboard is your fave? ...