A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I'm wondering what sorts of entries other MTs have in their expanders - NKC

Posted: Dec 19, 2010

to make them more productive?  Do you try to create a normal PE and ROS for every single dictator you come across?  Do you find it faster to use templates and delete any headings you don't use?

I'm trying to up my production and I'm having a devil of a time doing it.  I have a pretty good size expander file that has 300+ entries, but I can't seem to really put out the lines.  So I'm trying to get ideas from other MTs on how they use their abbreviation expanders to their benefit.

Thanks!

I have nearly 8000 in my library - MY2c

[ In Reply To ..]
which goes back nearly over 10 years. Of course these are from many different accounts, so I maybe only use a couple thousand at a time. Other than just long phrases, words or PE/ROS type stuff, every word you type frequently should have an expansion, i.e. with becomes w, from becomes frm . This takes time, but is well worth the effort (efrt)! I am looking to add maybe another 2000 words in the new year.

A couple I learned from this board... - starstruck

[ In Reply To ..]
...common meds and their dosages like aspirin 81 mg and aspirin 325 mg or those that generally have only 1 dosage (Flomax, etc.). Any verb form especially those like that I hesitate over ("visualized" = vsd) or phrases (blunt and sharp dissection = "blash" etc.) as well as whole paragraphs for dictators I know well. I usually put up a sticky note as a prompt until I remember them without making an effort.

I don't know which expander you use, but - ICManiac

[ In Reply To ..]
there is a free download for over 13,000 abbreviations to use with Shorthand. I included the download page link. It is a simple system to learn and some things are in the download with different abbreviations that allows you to use the one that fits you best. I have close to 20,000 entries in Shorthand and I've lost count of the number that I have in Smartype.

I do save templates from whole documents to just certain parts of reports with blanks to fill in the rest as dictated. Example, Dr A and Dr B share a practice so they basically have the same template, but one uses a couple of different headers. I use a template for each of them with customized specific headers.

I also use a lot of phrases. One doctor uses blank cc of blank lidocaine. So I set up a phrase where I can stop in the blanks to add what he says...sometines 1 cc of 2% lidocaine or 2 cc of 1% lidocaine. Almost all of my drugs are in my dictionaries.

I also converted my Smartype vocabularies (medical terminology from the Stedman's dictionary) into a text file so that when I want to research a word, I can use the search and find feature and know I am spelling the word correctly instead of what is being published on the internet.

Here is the download link. Chose the ABBSV2.zip file

Here's a few of mine - FlaMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I definitely have shorcuts for MDs that dictate most of their reports the same way, uses the same terminology, etc.

For instance, Dr Jones uses the same exact format for his physical examination, so I make a shorcut using "pejon" that will expand out his entire physical examination. I also do this for entire reports, just needing to fill in sections, like for procedure notes. "jonorif" would expand out a procedure note for Dr Jones' ORIF notes.

There are tons of ways to use expanders, including for medications (i.e. "s10" expands out to Singulair 10 mg), signature lines, acronyms, etc. The possibilities are only limited by the shortcut program itself.

It can be time consuming to make all of these at first, but in my experience, has been well worth it.

My expander dates back 20 years of more and - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I add more every day. I have a file that has normal dictations from specific doctors that say the same thing 99% of the time, but not for all as there are some who do not. I have phrases, misspellings/typos that I make constantly, words in all forms (i.e., ing, ed, tion, etc.) and still add things all the time.

When it comes to adding things, I found in the beginning I would just abbreviate things the way I wanted them and what was easiest for me and have continued that.

Examples =

tr - treat; trm - treatment, trd - treated, trg - treating etc.

For abbreviations COPD is COPD, but COPDD is spelled out, etc.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I just started a new job - NKC

[ In Reply To ..]
a month or so ago. I went from an hourly wage to being paid on production and I've struggled a bit. I'm so used to taking my time and focusing on accuracy and doing my own research, that it has been hard adjusting to being paid on production.

I feel like I'm in kindergarten again and when I read that an MT has 8000 entries in her expander, I really feel like I'm waaaaaay behind!

Similar Messages:

This Is A Poll Of Sorts. No Company Names Needed.
Oct 20, 2014

dd ...

ExText Entries-Help!!!
Aug 04, 2012

Wonder if anyone has an answer to this for me...and, thanking you in advance!  I have used ExText for years.  Everything has always been fine and I love ExText...until Escription hit the deck.  Now when I'm in a report and highlight what I want to add to my ExText, then do alt= to add it, the window comes up blank and I have to enter the word/phrase all over again.  What the heck happened??? Really slows me down because I usually enter long phrases/normals, etc.  Ho ...

Saving Autocorrect Entries
Jan 19, 2011

I sure hope there is someone out there who can help me.  I work in MS Word 2002.  I am trying to save all of my hundreds of autocorrect, autotext, etc entries onto a CD so in case something happens to my computer I would have all of these.  I have been on the internet to find out how to do this and everything I find is long and complicated.  Does anyone know a SIMPLE way to do this?  Any help is greatly appreciated! ...

Printing Out .acl Entries From Word!!-HELP PLEASE
Apr 02, 2011

I was hoping someone could help me out. I need to print out a copy of all my .acl (auto-correct) Word entries that I have made over the years. I applied for a job and it is very possible that I will not be able to copy them into that new platform. I know there is a set of instructions on how to do this, had them, but misplaced them. All of my auto-corrects are in the Word 2000 and I have them also on a flash drive. I just want to be able to print out a hard copy so I can start entering them in a ...

EMDAT - How To Add Entries Into Autotext
Jun 11, 2012

Anyone working on Emdat know how to add entries into Autotext without signing into the work pool? Just started and need to add entries before I start typing. Thanks in advance! ...

Any Way To Save Shorthand Entries?
Aug 12, 2013

Is there any way to save all those entries that are now in the Shorthand system (which I suspect will be removed when my Nuance software is removed on my last day)? ...

Expanding Instatext Word Entries
Dec 19, 2009

With instatex, there are phrase entries on the left and word entries which show up on the right side. To expand the phrase entries you just hit the space bar after the short entry, but how do you make the word entries expand? And how do you choose the second on the list, or the third, ect. I cannot figure this stupid thing out, even after going through the help menu.   Thank you to anyone that can explain this!! ...

Printing Microsoft Autocorrect Entries
Dec 06, 2010

How can I print my Autocorrect Entries from Word?  ...

Editing Instant Text Entries?
Sep 13, 2011

Hello, I am on the trial of Instant Text.  Does anyone know how to edit an existing entry? Thanks. ...

How To Make A Copy Of AutoCorrect Entries
Nov 02, 2011

I'd like to back up/make a copy of all of my AutoCorrect entries.  Anybody have an easy way to do this?  The instructions I found online were pretty cumbersome and they didn't do the job. Also, is there a limit to the number of entries AutoCorrect will hold?  Seems like when I add new ones, old ones drop off.  I've probably added 1000 by now.  Thanks for your help.  :) ...

Backup Dictionary And Auto Correct Entries
Dec 09, 2009

Can someone please tell me how to back up my custom dictionary and auto correct entries in Word 2000?  Thank you so much! ...

How To Copy PC Shorthand Entries Over To ExpandType On Chartnet
Feb 16, 2014

I recently started working for a company that uses Chartnet.  I like the platform.  However, I have over 5,000 entries that I've painstakingly created on the PC Shorthand expander program, and they are causing problems when I'm on Chartnet.  What happens is, when I type a shortcut from PC Shorthand, it will cause Chartnet to switch to "overwrite" mode and replace whatever text is already there.  It types right over the text, and I don't want it to do that.  ...

Moving Saved Auto Correct Entries To New Computer
Nov 09, 2010

the new computer is vista with word 2007. the old computer ran XP with word 2000. i have backed the auto correct entries up on a jump drive but cant figure out how to install in word 2007, any ideas? also need to download a new spell checker or figure out how to get the old one from word 2000, as I cant find the CD where I orginally installed stedmans. Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated!! ...

How Do I Import Bayscribe Expander Entries Into Instant Text?
Sep 13, 2011

I downloaded the trial version of Instant Text and used the Importer to import my Bayscribe expander entries through Text File.  Either this was the wrong format to use or I did something else wrong because the entries are not expanding.  I was able to get the abbvs.glo file to show up in the glossary entries.  Can anybody help with this?  Thanks in advance.   ...

Converting PC Shorthand Entries To Word 2003 Autocorrect
Jun 10, 2012

I want to convert all my shorthand entries to word 2003 as the in-house company I am working for does not allow any outside software to be running on their machines.  Anyone know if this can be done and if so how to proceed with same? ...

Instant Text Moving Included Entries Is Not Allowed
Sep 05, 2012

Good morning all! I am trying to move an entry in Instant Text and I am getting this message -   Moving included entries is not allowed. To move entries of an included glossary, first open it into the Glossary Viewer.   Any ideas???   Thanks,   Cathy ...

Word 2007 Autocorrect Issue - Entries Disappears
Sep 14, 2013

I'm asking this for a friend. Her computer crashed a couple weeks ago, so she got a new computer with Windows 7. She is still using Word 2007. She has entered new autocorrect entries as she works and most of them are retained. However, when she enters an autocorrect entry for a standard template she has, like a SOAP note, the entry will be gone the next day when she comes back to work. Any suggestions on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated? For those of you that are going to ...

Termination For Using Expanders?
Nov 06, 2009

Did anyone get the message today that using expanders over 75 characters will result in immediate termination? ...

Question About Expanders For VR.
Aug 13, 2010

Can someone suggest a "free" text expander for VR.  I've seen some around on the internet, but as far as which one would be a little better than the other?  I'd love to get Shorthand for Windows, but the truth of the matter with my very meager check I'm getting now on VR, there is not much leftover, if any, to spend on buying software.  Let's put it this way, I'd love to get the Ferrari, but the reality is that I can only afford the Pinto or the Yugo right ...

Question About Expanders
May 13, 2011

I have been doing transcription for about 5 years now.  I have never used an expander yet, but I am just wondering about them.  I think that if I were to use an expander, I would be way too paranoid about it and it would end up taking longer double checking than if I were to just type the whole sentence or paragraph out myself.  My question is this:  What kind of expanders do you use and does it really cut down on the time for each report?  Are there any easy littl ...

Who Has The Best Word Expanders?
Oct 04, 2012

Who has the best expanders and compatible with most transcription programs including Meditech, etc?  Shortcut, Shorthand, or InstantText Pro 7?  Just curious.  Thanks! ...

MediSoft And Expanders
Nov 18, 2012

Are there any expander programs that work within MediSoft?   One of my doctors is switching to this software, and while I'm happy to be included in the transition rather than kicked to the curb, I will miss the heavy assist I get from Word AutoText and AutoCorrect. The guy who gave me the 15-minute mini-training said no expanders would work with MediSoft, but that was after finally getting him to understand I was not asking about spell-check... so I'm not sure he even knew what ...

Typing Expanders
Sep 07, 2013

Shorthand or SwiftText?  (Or maybe something else affordable.)  I need something that I can obtain a disc in case of reinstalling.  I just had to do a system restore and was using Instant Text Pro V 7.  Of course, there is no disc for this program.  As they described it, I was "renting" the program and would need to pay the full price again to reinstall on the same computer.  (A bunch of crap in my opinion, but what does my opinion matter to them?)  My Word Aut ...

Abbreviation Expanders
Jan 25, 2014

I've been using ShortCuts abbreviation expander (from Hawk Technologies) at work for YEARS and was hoping to be able to purchase the program for use at home.  When I searched for the company, though, I found that they may have gone out of business some time ago.  Does anyone know if another company bought them out?  If so, I'm hopeful they will still have the ShorCuts program available.  Thanks! ...

Looking For Word Expanders
Sep 26, 2014

I am looking into getting a word expander that will work on any program on the computer that I use for work, such as specialized company sites, etc.  Is there one?  I use auto correct in Word presently.  Feel free to let me know of any, how you like it, the cost, etc.  Thanks!!! ...

Word Expanders What You Use?
Oct 08, 2014

I am just starting out and curious what you guys use for word expanders. I have looked at a few by searching phrases like word expander and text expander in Google. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.   Thanks, ...

Help!!!! I Accidentally Turned Expanders Off!!!
Nov 19, 2009

I cannot find anything on this junk desk!!!!!  Please help!!! ...

Word Expanders Question - Sm
Feb 23, 2010

I'm using Express Editor and I don't like the ESP that comes with it as it limits what you can do, and my expander in Microsoft Word will not work with this program. Anyone using the same platform have any good programs that will work? TIA. ...

I Need Good Shorthand Expanders
Nov 15, 2010

Can anyone tell me where to find a good expansion glossary/file/list or whatever you call it for Shorthand that will cover acute care/hospital/operative reports?  I have Shorthand 8.  I really need to speed up.  How do you use commands in Shorthand?  Thanks in advance ...

Transcend Word Expanders
May 26, 2011

Do they provide a word expander for you or are you required to purchase your own?  Some companies act like it is a luxury item rather than a necessity anymore. TIA ...