A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Nuance Nightmare - flowerchild

Posted: Jan 14, 2013

Started work as a QC at Nuance over a year ago.  I was trained on what was to be my main account which was a huge group of hospitals ihere in the Southwest state where I reside.  TIckled to death.  I'd log in to work, do my 8 hours and sign out.  Decent hourly rate, plenty of work.  Never volunteered for overtime but then again it was not mandatory.

Fast forward several months and guess what?  They started outsourcing my main account to our friends and neighbors in India.  Soon I was hunting for work; was assigned some much smaller accounts, and of course each account was 180 degrees different from one another.   And then Nuance picked up the acquisition game, absorbing fairly large companies with lots of employees.   Job availability dropped drastically.

My TL or whatever they're called nowadays seldom if ever answers my emails. I never turn to her for questions unless I've exhausted all possibilities available to me.  It took me 2 weeks to get her to send the learning module for ES10 because she thought she'd already sent it.  My Webclock page hasn't worked right since changing from AlphaStaff.  

So now what happens when I sit down to work is: clocking in is not an option.  Then I check company email to see if someone has posted a recent update to what's available.  Since I work at night these are not usually current.  So I must go from account to account, log in, wait forever until the pending queue comes up and see if there are jobs available.  Maybe 1 or 2.  Do those.  Then check another account, same lengthy process, rinse and repeat. And THEN I go back to the first account and check for MLS work.  Etc.

Being audited by an Indian whole essentially stole my job is intolerable.  Their errors would be laughable except for the fact that I'm gettiing dinged for the big 3-point ones.  Have asked Fearless Leader a half-dozen tiimes where I can go to check/listen to an audited report of mine to protest errors.  Finally got an answer today: go to Escription.com.  Ummmm, now I must dig there.

Thanks for your patience while I got this screed off my chest.  What happened to the theory that if an employee is available for work and there is no work, they should be paid minimum wage for that shift? 

Wow, that IS AWFUL!! I agree about the - minimum wage comment

[ In Reply To ..]
If I worked in a department store or at a restaurant and there were no customers for an hour, I would still be paid for that hour because it is during my shift. So the fact MTs are expected to revolve their lives around the scraps of work left behind by India, rather than being paid for the shift we were hired for and show up for and sit through...is sickening and cannot possibly be legal.

I am so sorry this is happening to you.

Nuance nightmare - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not a QC but Nuance is my nightmare too. My TL starts me on an account or 5, I do it for a couple months, then it's gone. I start more (all with different specs) and then they are pretty much dry after a few months. This company has the worst management I have ever worked for. They don't care about anything but TAT. If there is no work, they could care less, but it is starving me.

This job is truly a nightmare and I can't wait to get out.

Same story for me - Bubbly

[ In Reply To ..]
I used to work for them as an mt also. Started out fine, but they grew into this huge monster company and didn't care about the people making their company happen! Without MTs, they'd be nothing! At one point I was on SEVEN accounts! All different specs! I had to log out and in to each to look for work. They do push your pay to minimum wage if you don't make it, at least they did when i was there, but you will be harassed by your TL about that, saying you aren't working hard enough and costing company money! Regardless, I didn't go to school to make minimum. They begged me to stay when i gave my notice and offered a full cpl more. But what would be the point when you spend all your time bouncing? Rediculous.

What I've always wondered about QC is - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Do they train you how to penalize the MTs for small, petty, ridiculous "errors" that have nothing at all to do with patient care? Where does that come from? I never experienced anything like the absurd QC that I had at Nuance.

As it has been mentioned multiple times before - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
QC and QA are completely different entities. QC does not audit, and anything that QC might count off on when they edit your work before sending to the facility will NOT count against you. Only the QA do the post audits that count against you.

And for the record, no, QC are not trained to take off for petty errors. I can't speak for QA. We are told specifically NOT to do this, but I know some QC cannot help themselves. Yes, it's ridiculous. Yes, it infuriates me, because it makes me look bad by association, and I do my darnedest to make sure I'm being helpful to the MLS. I don't want to beat anyone down.

By the way, the QC get post audited by those Indian QAs as well. They are beyond ridiculous and have absolutely no clue as to what they are doing.

Good Answer! - flowerchild

[ In Reply To ..]
And I TOTALLY agree with the Indian QA thing. Talk about adding insult to injury--I cannot believe the powers that be authorized or instigated this ridiculous practice. Gave up trying to get errors resolved--now I ignore the emails.

QA/QC - me

[ In Reply To ..]
The program has a built-in auditing feature, as you QA a report, when you have to change something, fill in a blank, etc., you must assign a point value to it. It's not your choice what to assign by far, the values and descriptions of errors are built in to the system. With every bit of feedback, your QC is included.
A lot more things should be counted as NonError than are. - sm
[ In Reply To ..]

Especially any involving "the," "a," or "an," e.g.  

Many QA don't seem to completely understand the NonError category.  This is what would have been called an "FYI" at other places I've worked, with no point deduction involved, just a friendly heads up.

Definition of a Comment NonError 0 is:  Educational.  Used to grade anything that is reallly [sic] inconsequential; not impacting the integrity of the document as well as grammar.  Anything that reads just fine.

Example is:  

follow up with her primary care physician, Dr. Smith in future

follow up with her primary care physician, Dr. Smith in the future 

(love how they forgot the second parenthetical comma after Dr. Smith in the example too)

QC Madness - flowerchild

[ In Reply To ..]
I guess it's a power thing with some people; and I agree that often things go too far, especially, as you mentioned, when minor errors don't affect patient care. (I tend to think of QCs as MTs with different alphabet letters.) Keep in mind, though, that we get audited as well; sometimes seemingly picky things that we mark off for are the result of the rules we are given to follow. Clear as mud?

Similar Messages:

Nuance = Nightmare
May 02, 2011

I wish this Nuance takeover of OSi was all just a bad dream that I will soon wake up from!  I used to be a happy MT...life was good working at home and could pretty much pay the bills...UNTIL NOW!  Now have to sit around all day into the late hours of the night waiitiing for every little job to come in.  There is no communication.  The bonus was a joke.  How can they call it an incentive.  They cut my pay big time...was hoping I could get it back in "bonus" form.&nb ...

Nightmare At Nuance
Sep 03, 2014

Do you wonder if the TSMs are real or are they just machines?  They all give the very same answers when you are OOW.  It is like a script that they had to learn.   No matter what the question, the same answer.  I think I am living in a nightmare at Nuance. ...

NUANCE NIGHTMARE! PART 2 : (
May 03, 2011

Just got a crapload of rules, regulations, and BS from Nuance supervisor. I need an accountant and lawyer to interpret this junk.   If Nuance spent as much getting new accounts as they do on creating garbage names for their new "improved" way of doing things, we could all make money and quit reading notices from Nuance with all kinds of disclaimers.  Blah!  Garbage in, garbage out to Nuance with their formulas, incentives, and BS to hide the fact they are cutting pay while shippi ...

The ESL Nightmare:
Dec 26, 2009

All MTs (and I'm sure that would include Indian MTs, as well!) waste time and lose money struggling with ESL dictators.  It would certainly seem to me that patients of these doctors are at higher risk for medical mistakes because no one, including their co-workers, is entirely sure what they heck those people are saying.  So why don't they simply dictate in THEIR OWN NATIVE LANGUAGE, and have that work transcribed by MTs who are also native speakers of that language?&n ...

Nightmare!
Jan 01, 2010

I was part of that lucky group whose company number was changed, but our expansions didn't move with us.  I've been trying for 2-1/2 hours to get this straightened out, was on with tech support twice and am waiting for a call back.  I also enlisted my adult son who is VERY computer savvy but have been unable to get anywhere, with probably mainly Windows Vista to blame. At this point, I would be thrilled if I at least could view my old expansion list with the hope of copying ...

Why! FTR Nightmare
May 24, 2010

Really feeling low today. Not only is work scarce but still recovering from Friday, when my last job of the day, of course, was the worst dictator I get, of course, and I could not even come close to complying with FTR so I had to send it through QA. There goes my numbers.  Just wanted to cry, in fact, think I did.  Just once again reminds me of how disemmpowered we are at this level and it is a terrible feeling.  There is really nobody you can talk to within the company structur ...

Nightmare Still Going On.......
Mar 24, 2011

From Western region - got e-mail from "interim QA" yesterday with attachment which was "normal lab values per KB Benchmark."    Third paragraph of e-mail said the MT should be ever vigilant for punctuation errors and errors in dictation of lab values by docs.  Said if doc was in error in dictating the lab value and the MT transcribes it, IT IS THE MT's FAULT !  Does this person have a Napoleonic complex or what ?  It is now expected that we must constantly check t ...

ASR Nightmare
Mar 14, 2012

My feeling is, ASR works you to death. I wish the docs that I type for, could see what their ASR reports look like when I first get them. I wish Vern could see how they look. I wish all the educated idiots who come up with "incentive" and "boost" ideas, could see what they look like. It is soooo tempting to just let one of those reports go through....just like it came to me...no corrections.....and let these docs who are the worst of the dicators, made us who type for them be put on 10 ...

VR Nightmare
May 30, 2012

When you first went to VR did you have a hard time? I've straight-typed for so many years and this seems to have thrown me off.  The mistakes have been incredible and I find myself feeling so inadequate.  ...

A New Nightmare?
Oct 28, 2014

Oh, man, I hope this doesn't mean they're going to be constantly riding our backs, cracking the MM whip again.  I want to quit already, but I'll wait and see how it goes.  ...

From Classic To Cornerstone Nightmare
Aug 31, 2012

Switching from Classic to Cornerstone is killing my income!  My CCM tells me, like all bosses do when they switch to SR, that no one is going to lose their jobs, and it will be better.  No.  What happens is our pay drops drastically, and then the work doesn't take as long to do.  Work that took 100 MTs to do can now be done by 50, and MTs lose out.  Good for MQ....bad for us. When I started here in 2006 45K a year. Now lucky if I make 25K. Now at .04 a line, tha ...

And Another Thing... Text Is A Nightmare. You Cant Add
May 11, 2014

I can't make a whole autocorrect entry of a physical exam???   You have to add each body system separately????   That's going to be like 8 or 9 or even 10 flipping entries, if I can only add about one sentence length to an entry. Not to mention I can't get my AutoText entries to import and I'm typing every. single. word. by. hand.  No expanders yet.   Lawdamercy, chillens,  I'm gonna lose my mind before the end of the week.   ...

Found An Inhouse Job And I Am Out Of This Online Nightmare
May 06, 2011

I was finally able to get hired by a local hospital that very rarely has openings. I will get to work from home once I am up to speed on their platform....doing VR....getting paid by the hour....benefits for the family of only $200/month....and PTO time. I couldn't be happier. I have been slugging it out with MTSOs for 10 years and am finally getting out of this rat race. It was music to my ears when I asked what the chances are of them ever turning their work over to a MTSO and they sa ...

Wednesday Nightmare. Figuring Out Our Timecards. Sm
Dec 16, 2014

Have a headache just thinking about it.  How will we be able to verify accuracy and that we are not getting ripped off even more than we already are?  Follow the 12-step instructions "on our own time, of course." Just want to scream! ...

Wmx/nuance Paycut Meeting,listen To Tape Shut Up Or QUIT, Nuance Attitude?
Dec 12, 2011

According to a poster below which has apparently already attended one of the payroll meetings (as the poster posted) for nuance they have decided to keep the incentive part of all of our pay going with an exception that now you have to have over the industry standard of 98% to get a production based incentive. In addition (if this poster is accurate) they have again cut the overall pay from 8 and 4 to 3 3/4 AND 7 1/2. This is nothing but a bunch of crapploa...an MT who is now getting ...

I Know The Nuance Questions Are Getting Old, But Just One More, Does Nuance Pay Shift Differential F
Mar 09, 2012

that fall during the shift.  For example, if half of your hours fall in 3rd shift and half fall in 1st shift, do the 3rd shift hours pay more cpl?  Or, do all hours have to fall within the shift to qualify?  Thanks, Yet another sad Transcend employee... ...

Is Nuance And M-Modal Joint Services? Posting Here For Nuance AC, Got Email To Test For M-Modal.
May 01, 2012

I thought they were 2 different services.  Everyone is buying out everyone, so who knows.  All the small companies have been merged I guess.  I thought Nuance was out of New York and were the primary with VR.  Maybe one has to keep up with the changes and be a member and pay the dues and go to the meetings with AAMT and be a CMT to keep up with the changes, even though you still get 4 cents. ...

"Consider Returning To Nuance" - Just Received Email From Nuance
Jun 27, 2014

Wow. Posted this on company board but wanted to post here as well - some of you may feel vindicated. LPn ...

Nuance OSI
Apr 14, 2011

Any thoughts on this merger???? ...

Web/Nuance Ad
Sep 15, 2011

Does anyone know why the ad says "No inquiries from overseas" when they obviously offshore the work?  Anyone reading that would incorrectly assume they do not offshore.  I was reading an article in the newspaper that a journalist was talking about a few days ago regarding the hospital outsourcing to the Web/Nuance, and the spokesperson for the hospital said in the article that the company only employs US MTs.  ...

Nuance -?
Oct 08, 2011

xx ...

Nuance PTO ?
Oct 23, 2011

The ad Nuance has up says increased PTO.  Anyone willing to tell me what it is now. Also information on their bonus program would be helpful.  Thank you. ...

WMX/NUANCE Here It Is......
Nov 04, 2011

....First send us an email with fabulous Nuance ins (bad news) because they had to announce that due to open season. However at the same time telling us that the new pay structure (probably more bad news) will be announced at a later date but will be effective Jan 1 2012. Good way to keep us hanging on while they are so behind with their horrid platform. Guess what Nuance/Nuisance, it will not work as your reputation has gone from bad to worse and we are now realizing that the We ...

NUANCE/WMX
Nov 18, 2011

What do Nuance MT's get for editing and transcribing per line.   Thanks ...

WMX/Nuance Changes
Dec 06, 2011

If Webmedx does away with or changes their recently advertised "PRODUCTION BASED INCENTIVE" bonus and adopts the Nuance quality based bonus then this change may be considered by quite a few WMX employees as yet another cut in pay. I’m sure that there are quite a few MT’s currently at WMX that have a high QA average and are earning $300-$400 (some even more) in production incentive pay each pay period, which equates to $600-$800 per month. As an example, acco ...

QA Nuance
Dec 28, 2011

Did anyone hear anything about changes for QA.  I heard there was a webinar today? ...

Nuance W2s?
Jan 20, 2012

Has Nuance/Alphastaff released W2s yet?  Quit mid-December, have no idea.  Thanks! ...

For Nuance QA.. Sm
Mar 09, 2012

Is there a specific QA staff?  I was under the impression that the team managers did most of the QA.  Is that correct?  Or how is the QA done?  Someone said below that QA is paid hourly; I was under the impression it was cpl.  Any info on QA structure for Nuance would be helpful.  Thanks in advance.  ...

Does Nuance Have IC's
Mar 09, 2012

Does anyone know if Nuance hires IC's?  I could not find it anywhere.  It could be a solution for me if they do.  Thanx in advance. ...

Nuance Job
Mar 12, 2012

I have an interview this week with Nuance. Any advice on what to expect? I'm interviewing for an MT job and have been reading some posts on here about the company and it's not looking good. ...