A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Can they make us punch out if we run out of work - KK

Posted: May 31, 2012

I just do not think this is fair.  I am scheduled to work 6-2, and if they run out, I do not believe I should have to punch out.  I am still required to be watching and waiting for work.  Why should I have to sit and wait at home for 8 hours when I am only actually getting 4 hours of work?  I never used to punch out, but a few months ago my super emailed me because acording to Webclock I was punched in for 80 hours but only had 49 hours of work on the system (due to low work).  I told her it was probobly because of all the time that I had run out of work, and she tells me I need to punch out when work runs out.  I just do not see how that can be right.  If I were to work at a hospital and we run out of work, they would not tell me to punch out until more work came.  I would not mind too much, but the less I am punched in, the less PTO I get.   

I think you need to tell your super to find you more work while you are punched in - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

Every time I do that they ask me to wait and check back later - KK

[ In Reply To ..]
I have a secondary account and both accounts run out all the time. I recently asked if I could switch my schedule around to a time where there is more work, and my super told me to wait because there was a new account coming on in May that is going to help a lot of us with low work problems. Well tomorrow is June and I have yet to hear anything about this amazing new account.

When you're required to check back, you're on-call - and in many states they have to pay you.

[ In Reply To ..]
Folks, every one of us MUST learn our state's labor laws, particularly when it comes to compensation.

For instance, did you know that in some states the company is REQUIRED to pay for your computer, relevant software like Word if needed, etc because the company REQUIRES these things as a condition for employment? Merely telling you to use "your own personal computer" or telling you that you must "have Microsoft Word" does NOT relieve the company of these obligations.

People who are on-call might have to be paid for their time in many states. Usually, the criterion is whether this on-call status significantly or restricts your freedom of action - and obviously, you can't be "checking" while you're at the mall, picking up the kids or grocery shopping.

It's time to bring these abysmal violations of labor law to an end, but that will never happen if we ourselves don't know the laws.

punch out - new person

[ In Reply To ..]
I punch out when I run out of work because I got yelled at for the same thing that happened to you. It showed I had 80 hours but had only worked 59 of those 80 which the majority was due to going back and forth between my 2 accts to see if work comes back; however I don't sit and watch. I inform my supervisor that I will make my time up later and as long as I make it up (if the work is there) then I'm fine. If the work isn't there then you just show up short in hours but as long as when you punch out you put in comments out of work you should be fine

They can kiss my behind about punching in and out. - nuancemt

[ In Reply To ..]
I refuse to sit here punching in and out all fricken day. I stay clocked in. I get up and down when I need to. No work? Well then, I'll throw a load of laundry in and come back and check for work.

This clocking in and out crap is to cover their butts so they don't have to pay us UE. Well news flash - if I am hired for 80 hours, I will get paid for 80 hours when there is no work. It's called PARTIAL UE and I've already filed for it. This happened in the past and I collected it. Within 2 weeks, I had a ton of accounts.

I am actually waiting on another account - KK

[ In Reply To ..]
I emailed my supervisor the other day and she said it should be starting any time now. Work has increased some I have noticed, so I am not having too much of a problem with low work. I am sure it will get slow again. I have decided to stop punching out. If they say something again, I will just have to fight them on it.

Just me - see msg

[ In Reply To ..]
I totally believe that they should be paying us something when we run out of work as that is not our fault (especially if the comp has overstaffed specific accounts or sent the work overseas, as we had no choice in those situations).

My question for you guys: If you don't have the workload to stay busy and can't just "check-in" 24/7 when WL is loow, how do you keep your benefits?

don't you have a life? check in 24/7? This is - ridiculous NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Why should you have to "make up time" when - you are required to SM

[ In Reply To ..]
work a schedule? Extrapolate this to working inhouse somewhere and tell me it makes sense. Unfortunately, for many of us, we have to do this in order to survive financially, but something is rotten in Denmark.

Ask to train on Transcend accounts. Lots of work there. - Beyond Text platform not too bad either.

[ In Reply To ..]
Good luck!

. - .

[ In Reply To ..]

yeah... - good luck with BeyondTXT

[ In Reply To ..]
It is a behemoth, slow, ponderous, altogether outmoded and awful.

Oh, thanks a BUNCH (not) - those of us who already WORK those Transcend accou

[ In Reply To ..]
Please do NOT ask to train on my accounts. We run out of work enough as it is.

This is one of the points in the lawsuit. If you - have your true work SM

[ In Reply To ..]
hours on your timesheet (your shift per se) and yet the work was low and your production was low because of that, then it would show that you were probably making minimum wage or less, and they would be required to pay the difference. Thus, they have this scam so they can break federal labor laws. clever, huh?

This is truly - comical

[ In Reply To ..]
Another supervisor yelled and screamed, well not really, that a worker was supposed to clock in when out of work and then clock back out. Man, the supervisors are doing heroin on the clock I think. ROFLOL

Join the lawsuit! ROFLMAO! Oh what fun! This can be a blast if we make it so. ; )

Low work - clock out - Yes hosp do

[ In Reply To ..]
I do work at a hospital. And yes they can and do ask us to leave work when work is low. We have option to either take Leave time OR just not pay. They are asking you to leave and that is okay. However, if you want to leave due to low work and you ask to do so, you can, but it goes against your leave time.

Similar Messages:

Punch Out To Pee? OMG
May 07, 2013

What the heck?  How many people really punch out to use the bathroom?  This is ridiculous!  I'm looking for a new job as of today! ...

Hey! My Schedulesource, Punch In And Out
Feb 13, 2010

Anyone else? ...

Cannot Punch In While In Schedulesource
Dec 21, 2010

Been this way for an hour or so. ...

I Want To Punch Nuance's Crappy VR
Jan 08, 2014

That is all. ...

Do You Have To Punch In And Out On The Wedmedx Time Clock?
Feb 14, 2010

nm ...

Is It Possible To Delete A Punch From The Time Card
May 23, 2015

Brain fart, automatically signed on instead of approving my time card..dont want to bother time person with it.. ...

Worried About Being Able To Even Make What I Used To Make Doing
Apr 11, 2011

I seem to be spending an awful lot of time in VR documents, so I am confused as to why I am getting paid less for them.  This stupid VR system types whatever it thinks it might be hearing and sometimes doesn't type anything at all.  I hate this VR.  I am up to 1800 lines but usually do 2200-2500 a day on straight transcription.  I don't know how I am going to feed my children.  I am a single mom and the head of household.  Believe me the child support isn& ...

How Much Does A CCM Make
Jun 17, 2010

And do they get bonuses based on TAT?   have always been curious about this.  There was a time when I made more per year than an asst. supervisor (back at my co. before MQ bought us out).  Of course that is not the case anymore.  Any educated guesses? ...

Do Any Of The MTs Out There Make At Least...sm
Jan 25, 2011

$15 an hour on a daily basis.  I am in a horrific job right now (outside of my home) and need to make at least what I am making now which is about $15 an hour for a total of $97 a day.  I know transcription is tough nowadays, but if I go back to MT, do you think I can make at least that on a daily basis? ...

Is It Possible To Make
Aug 17, 2011

around $1,000/month part-time in this industry? ...

I Seriously Don't Know How To Make This Better
Aug 24, 2011

I've been working with this company for over 90 days. The first 90 days was a paid internship. Paid hourly, minimum wage. I am now a full time employee...paid on production.   However, I can not even seem to make minimum wage while on production pay! It is driving me nuts and is very discouraging. I'm not sure where to point the finger.   I worked 8 hours, only took one 20 minute break to eat. Over those 8 hours, according to the employers data base, I did around 1200 lin ...

What Do You Make?
Nov 15, 2011

I'm not sure if this has been brought up before ... or if this is one of those taboo subjects.. :) But what do you make per month as an MT and how many hours per week do you work to achieve that?  I'm just feeling like I can/should up my game a bit and thought this may be an encouraging way to get that push I need.  :)  ...

MUP (make Up Pay)
Sep 25, 2012

Anyone every get fired from Nuance for MUP?  ...

Okay Say I Make 10/6
Nov 05, 2012

What do you think they will do to get rid of me? I am really worried now, reading about all these terminations. ...

I DO NOT Want To Make Anyone Mad....
Nov 13, 2012

I looked at all the emails under here when I stopped work this afternoon and was hoping for a good description of the Town Hall meeting thingy.  What was the upshot?  Anything other than the usual blah blah blah?  Anything we need to know or else! LOL ...

Can You Make Any $$ With VR???
Feb 23, 2013

Okay, I'm waaaay behind the times.  I have been doing straight transcription for 35 years and am about to switch to VR editing at 0.45 cents per line.  Good Grief.  Can I make any money doing this??  My straight transcription accounts have all switched over about 80% of their work to VR and left all the truly terrible dictators on straight.  ...

How Much Do You Make?
Jul 22, 2013

Make's One Wonder--sm
Aug 07, 2013

Apparently the account I work on will be going completely offshore.  I am being moved to an account that I know has work (at least for now, not sure how many others will be switched to this one too).  I have to wonder though when will be the point when accounts go offshore and people are just fired.  While people do quit, is it enough to ensure there is still work stateside.  I have things that need to be taken care of.  New tires, new brakes, a new refrigerator, etc.&n ...

Does VR Make Anyone
Jul 27, 2014

after doing report after report?  Most of the reports I do are long, and there are so many incorrect words, looking at the mess that makes so sense, following along with the words,  and correcting literally makes me nauseated.   I feel like my eyeballs are crossed trying to focus in where the dictator is which is hard when the words I see are not the words I hear.  Sure can tell a transcriptionist had no part in developing this crap. I have ...

I Have Never Had So Much Make-up Pay!
Jan 21, 2015

After celebrating having no make-up pay last paycheck, I have an absolutely horrific amount of make-up pay this paycheck. The difference?????? Cesspool, a lot of bad audio and even worse ASR output than the normal terrible output. Got told today that my minor error rate is above metrics. They apparently have decided to inflict that on us now, despite the fact that I have passed every audit. They have also been auditing us every day. Gotta measure every bit they can think of! Oh what ...

I Cannot Make My C-LPH......
Jun 26, 2015

to save my life!  ...

What If MQ Decides To Make Us All Become MME's!
Jan 12, 2010

Didn't MQ make the CTL's become MME's?  If that happens to the MT's and you reject it, I assume you will be fired and if so, can you still collect unemployment?  What if you they point blank and say, you have to become an MME or you will have look elsewhere.  Can you somehow collect unemployment whether you quit or get fired or will you lose out unemployment benefits.  Basically, it is a no win situation for us MT's?  ...

Sorry, But Does This Make Sense?
Jan 17, 2010

There is a tachycardia present with a rate of 175 without atopic beats. ...

MED Term Cannot Make Out!
Jan 26, 2010

I can NOT make out the word on my dication tape!! It is a drug sounds like On-Seff...........I know I've used it before but I just can't remember the spelling... HELP PLEASE anyone!!! Lol ...

Does This Make Sense - Please Sm.
Feb 03, 2010

He does s/l weigh with the natural resting position to external rotation.   ...

Does This All Make Sense?
Feb 03, 2010

long day and not sure this all sounds correct. tia.   MRI scan does show a complete tear of the supraspinatus portion of the rotator cuff with a retracted tendon.  It also shows a partial tear of the subscapularis tendon and transverse humeral ligament.  There is also splitting of the biceps tendon in the glenohumeral joint.  He has an anterior/inferior labral tear and some paralabral cysts, and severe degenerative changes in the acromioclavicular joint and some degenerativ ...

Does This Make Sense-
Feb 07, 2010

Knee range of motion is lacking 5 degrees of full extension to 110 degrees, at which point there is soft tissue approximation. ...

Cant Seem To Make A Living
Feb 22, 2010

I have worked as a radiology transcriptionist for over ten years .  My pay has been cut in half and jobs are hard to find. I take tests and no one calls back.  I usually only have their email anyway.    I am now learning acute care because it seems for last few years it has been the only game in town.  However, I cannot believe how hard it is and I am getting paid the same as radiology.  It's becoming impossible to afford to live on this income, but I ...

How Do You Make Expansions
Jun 30, 2010

How do you make expansions.  I know F4 is to turn it off and on but how do you make new ones,  I am having stress which makes my brain malfunction. ...

Trying To Make Sense Out Of This
Mar 31, 2010

I agree that the MT biz has become extremely hard and frustrating, but I am copying and pasting something I read below because if I had responded to that, it would have been lost, as messages don't get updated on this board, and I would like other's opinions.  "You are absolutely right. I had worked for a couple of other good companies before going back to MQ, and found that the "experience" I got from MQ was not very good at all. The new companies followed the Book of Style 3, w ...