A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Am I figuring this right? SM - mt

Posted: Jun 14, 2012

Say I edit 250 lines in1 hour.  At 4 cpl, that's $10/hour.  Working OT for 25% (which is 1 cent of 4 cpl), 250 lines in 1 hour x 5 cpl = 12.50.   That extra $2.50 x 8 hours is $20.  Doesn't seem worth my weekend for that.   Can't count on straight typing - some days I hardly have any and some days I'll have 10 to 15%.

The problem isn't the overtime. Say an MT could earn $35K in - an office, $35K-$20K = $15K lost per year. OR,

[ In Reply To ..]
put another way, 42% lost from of what should have been the annual earnings.

Not considering a little incidental overtime that might be earned in both jobs, of course.

So I'm guessing that almost no one who can afford to just blow off close to half her annual income would interested in working a weekend day for an extra 20 bucks.

I don't work weekends, and yes, I could use extra $$..... - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
but when I sit here all week struggling to make a paycheck (not new, been MT for over 20 years but new to VR), I can't see the point working on my day off for an extra 20 bucks. If these companies would pay a decent wage period, I'd be more than happy to help out when needed.

no, your OT rate is wrong - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
OT is time and a half, so instead of 250 lines at 4 cpl, you would be paid 250 lines at 6 cpl. Instead of making $10 an hour, you would make $15 an hour.
In an 8-hour day of OT, you would make an extra $40, not $20.

THANK YOU!! Makes a big difference in working OT!! - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
So 6 cpl for editing. Then for straight typing, it would be 12 cpl, right? I'm short $$$ due to family illness so I will gladly work OT this weekend !!! Again, thank you for the info !!!!!!!

You're welcome - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
If your rate for straight typing is 8 cpl, then yes, your OT rate will be 12 cpl. Because we are paid by production, but OT has to be based on hours, the calculation is actually a little more complicated than above and has to take into consideration your average lph for the week, but the above figures put you in the right ballpark. Glad you will be able to make some extra $$ at a decent rate.

Similar Messages:

Help With Figuring Out Pay
Apr 29, 2010

Can someone help me figure this out.  I am being paid 0.03 cents per line.  Do I multiply my lines x 0.03 or x 0.3?  Thanks. ...

Figuring PTO
Nov 20, 2012

Does anybody know how to figure out exactly how much PTO you have left?  Like is it deducted after it is granted or after the date that you are taking it has passed?  I would not think it would be deducted when it is still pending. Thanks ...

I Need Some Help Figuring This Out...sm
Nov 28, 2012

I posted a week or so ago about a job offer working for a court reporting agency.  It is transcription that pays 5 cpl on a gross line.  The work is actually doing claims for insurance companies.   She wanted me to come a week ago before I started just to see how fast and well I could transcribe. I typed 7 pages in 20 minutes, which equaled about 127 lines.  So I figured, wow 127 lines in 20 minutes, that's great.  I'll do just fine at this job.  Well ...

Figuring Out Ppl Instead Of Hourly
Jan 25, 2011

I've been paid by the hour for the past 11 years, was laid off and am now searching for work. How do I transition to ppl pay to equal the amount of my unemployment so that I'll know I can pay my bills? What questions do I ask potential employers? Work load? Average pay? I'm so confused! The 'Newbie" Tammie ...

Figuring Out QA Score
Jan 02, 2015

Did you get the hoops we have to jump through now to figure out your QA score.  Can't just put in the pay date range and go by that because they are auditing reports outside the pay range, either before or after.  Then you might manage to get 2 reports audited within the pay range, after you jump through hoops and figure it out yourself.  So, what you think you are getting, when it shows up in webclock, it is way less than what you figured out in Fiesa.  This is TOTAL BS ...

I Need Help In Figuring Out My Line Count?
Oct 16, 2011

I've done this before but can't figure it out now.  I've totalled my line counts each day for a week including ASR and straight transcription, but now what do I do with that total?  Do I divide it by 7 days in the week or however many days I work or is it the hours I work?  Thanks for helping me. ...

Help With Figuring Out Line Count
May 10, 2012

I am new and so far have had no problems with running out of work which is what happened all the time when I was with Medquist (M Modal) but where do you find the breakdown of your lines???  I gave gone into FIESA and generate reports and I see all my lines grouped together but not broken down as to what was VR and the other straight dictation.  Or I am looking it and don't even realize it.  Thanks ...

Figuring Out Rate Per Character
Aug 22, 2014

Does anyone know how to figure out what the rate per character would be if pay is 14 cents a line at 70 characters per line? ...

How Does MModal Fire You? I'm Figuring I'll
Dec 17, 2014

I can't pass an audit to save my life...I figure any day now I'll receive a call telling me to log out, even though I've not finished the report I'm on, and I'll be fired.  I'm so sick of feeling like I'm doing my best, only to find out that this little error, or that little error (spacing or period or comma, among others) causes a 0.25 point drop and those puppies add up.  I think 99.5 is an unreasonable level and I'm sick and tired of feeling w ...

Wednesday Nightmare. Figuring Out Our Timecards. Sm
Dec 16, 2014

Have a headache just thinking about it.  How will we be able to verify accuracy and that we are not getting ripped off even more than we already are?  Follow the 12-step instructions "on our own time, of course." Just want to scream! ...

Wait A Minute...They Are Figuring LPH AFTER Deducting
Jan 15, 2015

It just occurred to me. Not only are we getting a 5% deduction for having a "good platform" but the LPH (Lines Per Hour) are also figured AFTER taking off the 5%. So if I actually TYPE 950 lines in 5 hours which is 190 LPH, now I am only getting 902 lines in 5 hours which is 180.5 LPH, which drops me down a tier on the grid which ALSO docks my pay BESIDES the 5% they are docking for the "good platform." You would not think that 5% makes a difference, but it DOES. I checked this with my payst ...

Is OOW Time Factored When Figuring Hourly
Jan 28, 2015

Several times last week, I have been out of work and had to wait the required 15 minutes before clocking out.  Let's just say that happens 4 times in a pay week -- that's a whole hour.  When taking my converted lines and dividing by the number of hours clocked in, does the OOW time count?     ...

Can Someone Please Explain To Me The Process Of Figuring Out Your Line Count Rate? . . . .
May 18, 2010

I understand that the potential is there to maybe collect unemployment due to low, unavailable work with the Q.  I am curious as to how to figure my hourly rate with the Q to see if I am even making minimum rate in my state (which is $7.25/hour)  any one interested in explaining the process on how to figure this out?   Thanking one and all in advance. ...

Line Counts - When Figuring Lines, Do Most People Include Spaces?
Jul 24, 2012

When figuring lines, do most people include spaces? ...