A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

no $ for newbies - poor house

Posted: Dec 06, 2011

How long is one considered a newbie?  I'm currently working as an IC for .055 ppl and have been for about 6 months.... I really need to work for a better paying company.... is it normal to have such a low-paying job for the first year?

its normal to have a low-paying job the rest of your life - if your an MT anyway

[ In Reply To ..]
15 years experience, I am making 7 cpl as an IC.

wow. my previous instructor insisted I should make - poor house

[ In Reply To ..]
at least .07 cpl as a newbie, IC status. I read so much about how newbies shouldn't take such low paying jobs, that there are good jobs out there, but where are they? I'm shocked you don't make more with 15 years exp...

right. - im shocked too

[ In Reply To ..]
Acute care, I type everything, used to make 40,000 a year part time, and now I am working for 7 cpl as an IC.

Can someone give me a car and a garage and a bottle of Benadryl?
No $ Newbies - Better now
[ In Reply To ..]
I was a newbie with DTS America who sold out to Transcend. They started me at 4 cpl. As I proved myself in QA, they raised to 6 cpl. In another couple of months they raised me to 8 cpl. If you are maintaining the QA standard which for most is 98% (don't know about your line count), you should ask them to raise you. I could not make the line count, so I worked part time. They did not know how much time I spent to make my line count.
I don't get any feedback at this point so - poor house
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not sure if I'm maintaining 98% or better. I'm assuming I am since they are not on my case about anything ever. They only feedback I get is when I pend a job for review. Otherwise, I never hear from anyone which is kinda nice!! I have no line count to worry about and I'm PT as well... I have been thinking about asking for a raise. Being new to the industry I have no idea if it's appropriate to ask for a raise after 6 months on the job..... So you are still with Transcend?
No $ Newbies - Better now
[ In Reply To ..]
No. I have worked 3 places since DTS. You should ask for review and raise until you are paid their standard rate of pay.
Requirements for Part-Time Positions - mwhit06
[ In Reply To ..]
In reply to "I don't get any feedback," how are your hours set since you are part time? Is it common procedure for part-timers to not have line count requirements? Also, are you still required to work nights? I recently was ready to sign up for medical transcription training, but then I became worried after seeing so many negative posts, in addition to the requirement of night work. Night work would be hard since I have kids to take care of. Any insight would be appreciated.

Pay for new MTs - A seasoned veteran

[ In Reply To ..]
I think that they are trying to bring women into this profession and are not being honest in the way the schools advertise that "you can make upwards of $60,000 a year as an MT." In today's MT world that is a pipe dream and often unobtainable. I started out over 30 years ago making more than I make now, and up until 10 years ago this profession paid a halfway decent pay, but not now. I now make 9 cpl and 4 cpl doing VR. Anywhere you go now you can expect starting out at 7 cpl or less when you are new, and you can always ask for a raise, but that happens rarely. I worked with Transcend for awhile a few years ago, and we were supposed to get reviewed once a year and expected a raise from that...it never happened the entire time I worked there. The only time I got a raise was when I worked in a hospital setting. I have worked for about 5 major MT companies, and none of them really came through with their promises, and they basically all operate the same way. You can work your fanny off, and give them everything they want, even get great reviews, but that does not mean a thing. I am not saying this always happens, but for the major companies, especially the ones that are offshoring, you can forget the benefits and the nice things we once had. I remember about 5 years ago getting great incentives, not so anymore. I don't mean to be discouraging, but the schools that train MTs put the rosy glasses on the students and promise them everything when they get out, but they also want their money to train you, so why wouldn't they make it seem like everything will be wonderful once you have finished your training. I know this happens, because I was once a supervisor for MedQuist many years ago, and they did pay great then, well they don't anymore. They just want your hands on those keys and your nose to the grindstone, no excuses and no perks.

Why would an experienced MT work for 7 CPL? Ridiculous!!! - Whywhywhy

[ In Reply To ..]
This is why our profession is in trouble and why companies get away with dropping our wages lower and lower. Diskriter offered me 7.5 cpl WITH bennies and I turned them down flat!! I'm worth more than that!!

I have, however, accepted a position with Webmedx for a little more, but they do offer a phenomenal incentive plan starting at a low line rate, with the ability to make up to 1 cpl easily, plus a shift differential.

There are jobs out there making more than 7 cpl IC! I left a job making 9 cpl for this job!!!

As far as I am concerned, any experienced MT is choosing to make 7 cpl; it's not because you have to.

Nice - why indeed

[ In Reply To ..]
People do what they have to do. I've been an MT for nearly 10 years and if the only job I could find was one that paid 7 cpl then I'd damn sure take it.

There aren't tons of jobs out there. Good for you leaving a happy high-paying job and scoring another one. That makes you LUCKY.

As far as I'm concerned, any MT who looks down on an experienced MT for taking a lower paying job because it's the only one she can find is not very nice. And I hope said MT is never in a position where she has to "lower herself".
I wasn't looking down on anyone! - Seemessage
[ In Reply To ..]
The person didn't say it's all they could find. There are companies that have ads up all the time needing help. People do what they have to do! I know I do!! I don't have a gravy job working day hours M-F whenever I want!! I work when the company needs coverage in order to get the pay I need to pay my bills. People can't have it both ways. Don't complain about what companies pay if you limit your availability. That's not mean - it's honesty. It's not LUCK - it's flexibility.
13 yrs experience; today I accepted a 7 CPL gig - CareerMT
[ In Reply To ..]
My new gig is only part time so it's my secondary gig, not primary.

It's doing radiology, which is my favorite. Rad is an incredibly easy, repetitive specialty, plus the account has tons of normals/macros/templates.

The main reason I took it is because there is PLENTY of work, unlike my 9 CPL primary gig, which is overstaffed like the rest of that company's accounts. Since I can seriously crank out some lines that 7 CPL isn't such a big deal because the volume will make up for it.

If there are so many jobs that pay more than 7 cpl - yochana

[ In Reply To ..]
then why aren't other MT sharing the info with their fellow MTs? The higher paying cpl is not the norm.
Why people don't share cpl rate - Oldie
[ In Reply To ..]
I treasure how much I make, and I don't want others knowing about it because I don't want anything to change. I am making what I do after years of experience and working to find the best employer. To expect anyone to let you simply ride in on their coattails is not very realistic. It takes research, and I don't believe any MT is going to volunteer openly that she makes a good amt per line because then everyone would flock to that employer and pay would inevitably drop. It's bad enough with the offshoring threat. Just being realistic.
Oldie - Old Pro
[ In Reply To ..]
I am on the same page with you. The last company I worked for as an MT had a clause in the contract stating that we were not to disclose cpl. (It was 9.5 for me, and they came after me to recruit me to work for them; I did not solicit them.) Anyway, they hired me, and I worked for them for several years. They specifically requested that I NOT mention their name on any boards. They have less than 500 employees and their HR did not want to have to deal with newbies at all. The company prefers to recruit its own MTs, which it does. I mention these things just to show folks that while there ARE many jobs that pay over 7 cpl, many companies do not want to be inundated by newbie apps. (This company requires a minimum of 7 years of experience--and a lot of ESL experience-- to interview.) I feel sorry for the newbies. I think their cause is hurt by so many inferior schools out there. Many MTSOs just got tired of dealing with newbies who were not prepared. This hurts the newbies from schools that are legit. My heart goes out to everyone in this field right now, and, if I may be honest, I am glad I am done!

Does Webmedx offer IC status or - poor house

[ In Reply To ..]
only employee status? I currently need PT IC status. At this point I would be happy with 7 cpl. Sad, I know...

My note read I work for 9 cpl - Another MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I think I did say in my note that I work for 9 cpl and make 4 cpl when I do VR. Thanks:)

Would you name the schools that claim $60,000? - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
It would be helpful to know which of the schools say you will make $60,000 so people can avoid them. Are these the matchbook schools or the huge ones like one I saw this week that charged 30,000?

Unfortunately... - Christine

[ In Reply To ..]
I used to recommend MT to people I thought would be good at it. Not any more! I've been an MT for almost 20 years. My line rate now is less than what it was 20 years ago. I'm an IC, making 8-9 cpl (65 characters including spaces), depending on the account I'm working on. My income has gone down, living expenses have gone up. I've tried VR, which is a total joke. I'm a fast typist, so most of the time I could type a report myself in about the same amount of time it would take me to edit it, and I got paid half of my MT rate (i.e. 9 cpl MT, 4.5 cpl VR editing). The MT companies just want to make more money, so VR is just one way for them to pay their MTs less.

Granted, MT services now have to charge the docs less than they could 20 years ago, thanks to having to compete with offshore rates. In addition, a LOT more MT companies are in existence, so the competition for contracts is much more fierce than it was 20 years ago.

That said, 5.5 cpl is a disgrace even for a newbie, but I think 7 cpl would be pushing your luck unless you are a truly exceptional newbie. I would certainly look around for another job, now that you have some experience under your belt. Good luck; I hope it works out for you!

Thank you - NM

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

Similar Messages:

How Many Newbies Are Here?
Jan 12, 2015

There seem to be a lot of posts from newbies recently.  I just started last week.  How many others are here who have just started in the past week or two?  I wish there was a way we could connect.  Wouldn’t it be great to get to know the others on our team/account? ...

MT Work For Newbies
Jan 18, 2010

I saw these companies that were hiring with no experience. I don't know about the pay or anything else about these companies. http://www.etransplus.com/careers/ http://kmmedicalt.com/careers.html ...

To All The Newbies And I Guess All MQ MT's.
Jan 23, 2010

I have been with MQ, well. . . , FOREVER unfortunately.  I found out about the board when I was googling something about Medquist about 2-1/2 years ago.  How did you all find out about this board! ...

Isn't It Interesting That Newbies Are Getting
Jul 01, 2010

us oldies are getting below 98%, in some cases waaayy below, after years or decades of exemplary work, with raises, etc. How much more obvious can it get that they're downsizing the highest paid (and most experienced) MT/ME, to hire the newbies and get the tax breaks. Makes me SICK, so I resigned a couple weeks ago and feel absolutely in shock that I did it, finally, and trust in God for a better job. ...

Investing In Newbies
Aug 16, 2010

(Creaky voice) Baaaack when I was starting out... I had neither experience nor education, except my own attempts at self-training by reading "Taber's Medical Encyclopedia," and typing practice from "Norton's Anthology of Poetry." After 3 weeks of mailing resumes to local offices, I had decided to give up on finding an MT job. It looked like no experience, no hire. Then I took part in a transcription "casting call" at a large FP clinic. I tested horribly for speed (12 wpm), got stuck fo ...

For The Newbies Who Come Here And Get Scared
Nov 10, 2010

I want the newbies who come here and read the complaints and get scared about "what have I gotten myself into" to realize that not everyone is unhappy at MedQuist.  Keep in mind that they have literally thousands of employees and only a handful come here to vent their unhappiness (which is fine, I understand, not everyone is going to be in an ideal situation).  I think it very much depends on your circumstances as to how life will be at MQ.  I was a new grad hire and once I ...

Newbies Asking The Question
Jan 18, 2011

I see it here often and I just read it again, misplaced on the Job Seeker's forum: "I just graduated from an MT school and everything requires experience.  How do I get experience?" This is a question that needs to be addressed with the schools you are choosing.  And it should be asked BEFORE you start the course.  There are courses that are less expensive but they lack various key components-- like instructors, placement assistance, etc.  (That's not addressing t ...

Would Having The RMT Credential Help Newbies??
Feb 18, 2011

xx ...

Nuance Newbies
Oct 16, 2012

For those of you new Nuance MTs, how do you like it there so far?  Thanks! ...

To Newbies Of Synernet Are You All
Sep 03, 2013

Hi!  First I want to say I love my accounts and can get my minimum and more WHEN I don't run out of work. Are you all running out of work? It's getting to the point I am thinking of finding another job. I hate to as I really like it here.  Thanks for reading ...

Nuance For Newbies!
Sep 08, 2014

signing bonuses, too!! ...

To Keeping My Head Up And Other Newbies
Oct 25, 2009

There is good reason that these ladies sound a little negative.  It is not about you, your initiative, or your dedictation.  They do know what they are talking about, but they did not even begin to explain to you why, probably not enough room or time!  This industry has changed drastically.  You can not believe the ads you read about being an MT, great money, work your own hours, train in 2-4 months, blah, blah, blah.  None of that is true.  This has become a low in ...

To All The Newbies Trying To Get A Start In This Business
Nov 09, 2009

I have been doing transcription for the last eight years out of my home.  I started with psychiatry for the company I was working for in-office and then was fortunate enough to get to do it at home.  However, I had never done transcription before this point.  I started checking into jobs online and since I knew I didn't have medical experience, I really didn't bother applying for any jobs in that field.  I would apply for transcription jobs outside of the realm of m ...

Companies That Hire Newbies
Dec 03, 2009

I have a friend who is looking for an MT job. She is just about done with school. Can anyone help me out with companies who hire newbies? I know there was a list on here at one time, long ago, but I cannot seem to find it. I think it was actually on the "old" board.   Thanks! ...

MQ Seems To Be In A Hiring Frenzy For Newbies.
Mar 11, 2010

There seems to be a lot of newbies coming on here starting with MQ.  I guess out with the old, in with the new. Good luck to all the newbies.  May the force be with you.  I'll leave the light on for you when I go . . . . . . ...

Question For Employed Newbies
Jun 30, 2010

Hi everyone, I am just wondering about when you first started that first job. How long were you in 100% QA? How long does it take before they let you do what you do without watching every file you hand in? At what point do they trust a newbie to be on there own? I know that it is different for everyone, but I am just looking for a ballpark figure here. Thanks in advance. ...

Useful Word Shortcuts, Especially For Newbies!
May 15, 2010

Came across this article on another forum - has a list of useful word shortcuts. Quite a handy list, particularly for newbies. Thought I'd share! http://hubpages.com/_hubmis/hub/Useful-Microsoft-Word-Shortcut-Keys-To-Save-Time ...

Some Advice For Fellow Newbies
Aug 02, 2010

As a former “newbie”, I would like to offer a little bit of advice to other newbies.  When I first got into medical transcription, I thought that some of the advice given on these boards was a little harsh and sometimes downright nasty.  Without a doubt, there are always going to be some nasty people on message boards, but overall, I think most of the advice given here is well intentioned.  Let me explain a little bit of my story.   I was unemployed for about si ...

2-3 Newbies To Replace 1 Veteran MT
Nov 02, 2010

Just read another interesting article in that it is estimated that it will take 2-3 newbie MTs to replace 1 veteran MT.  Something all these corporate MTSOs better start thinking about.  Once they run all the veteran MTs off, find demand is shifting back to onshore transcription, then what are they going to do.  Even if they pay newbies lets say a mere 6 cpl...that's 18 cpl if it takes 3 to replace 1 veteran, and the veteran makes probably 9 cpl (maybe 10) so it is costing th ...

How Does This Happen? Newbies Training VR??
Aug 07, 2013

I've been doing the same account for months. VR has always spelled out "MI" as "myocardial infarction"... until today.  Now it spells it out "Michigan." The patient has no history of Michigan.  No family history of Michigan.  No Michigan symptoms. ...

How Long Do They Give Newbies
Jan 15, 2015

I hear about the threats of being fired if you don't make enough for minimum wage.  How long do they give newbies to get up to speed/accuracy?  I *really* don't want to get fired.......  I've been here less than 2 weeks.  If it was straight typing, I'd be at the 100 lph - however with the converted line count and the fact that I am not as fast at editing, my average converted line count is only about 81 clph.  I hope they'll at least give me a fe ...

Newbies And Students - About AHDI Credentials ...
Jan 06, 2010

A certificate of completion (of your course or education program) does not make you a CMT. The AHDI (Association for Healthcare Documentation Integrity) offers 2 different credentials:  RMT (for those with less experience) and CMT.   Both credentials require passing a challenge exam and continuing education credits to maintain (every 3 years).  If you think that it doesn't matter whether you obtain an RMT or CMT credential through the AHDI, just think of it this way:&n ...

Can Newbies Get Remote Coding Jobs?
Sep 20, 2011

I am an MT and am currently taking a coding/billing course and plan to take the CPC exam after completion.  Does anyone know of any companies who hire newbies to work at home as coders? Any sites like MTstars that post coder jobs? I prefer to stay at home, but everything I'm seeing requires experience.  Thanks for any help.  ...

Softscript Employees Former, Current, Newbies
Oct 06, 2012

claim form was updated only 2 months ago with several details you will almost certainly find useful http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/howtofilewageclaim.htm http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/DLSE-55-overtime-sheet.xls   Note these gems:    [ If you have been retaliated against, you may file a retaliation complaint by filling out another form, “DLSE FORM 205.”] 4. Are other employees also filing wage claims against your employer? âYES âNO â I DON’T KNOW & ...

To The M*Modal Newbies On The Coding Board
Mar 23, 2014

on this board pointed out to me that I misspoke.  AHIMA does not approve coding courses.  What I meant to say was that, to take the CCS you must submit an application, which must be approved by AHIMA before you can sit for the test.  If you do not have the required two years of experience, or a professional certification and a year's experience, you can still sit for the exam if your coding program fulfills the requirements of A&P, pathophysiology, pharmacology, medi ...

Newbies, Know It Alls, And Constant Complainers
Jul 26, 2014

I don't understand why when newbies ask valid questions they are answered by rude know it alls who have 5+ years' experience and think they are much better than someone just starting out.  We all used to be newbies.  I have 20+ years' experience and I do not think I know everything. I learn something new everyday and am willing to help anyone who needs help. Also, MTs that complain their hands hurt from editing all day, try straight transcribing all day long without usin ...

Can Newbies Get MT Jobs That Offer Full Benefits?
Oct 19, 2009

Is it possible to find a decent job as a new grad that will give you full benefits like dental, medical, 401 K, or am I just dreaming here. I know being an IC it's not going to happen but what about newbies getting positions as fulltime employees. Does it really happen? ...

Newbies Needing To Get Thier Foot In The Door
Jan 08, 2010

I have just under two years work and did alot of PRN and temp work and recently worked for a company that never paid me for the work that I did.  I am just wondering if anyone knows of or if anyone hires newbies since that is what I would be considered still im sure? I look forward to any information that I can get. Thanks so much for your time. ...

Keystrokes - For ALL - FORMERS, CURRRENTS, FUTURES, NEWBIES
Jun 24, 2011

To All Interested, I am a current employee of Keystrokes now for approximately 6 weeks.  I have been a transcriptionist for approximately 20 years.  I thought I would share my experience since there have been so many questions about this company in the past few months. First of all, I am doing this because there is so much bickering back and forth regarding what kind of company Keystrokes is to work for.  I can tell you right now, when a company has 600+ MTs, not everyone is go ...

Anyone Work For TNI? They Say They GUARANTEE Newbies Jobs Depending On What
Nov 11, 2010

Has anyone who has gone to school at Med Workshops or M-Tec interned at TNI - Transcription Network, LLC, out of Everett, Washington?  I found this statement on their website interesting: *  For a limited time, we're offering Guaranteed Job Placement with our company if you train and graduate from Med Workshops or M-Tec School.   Go to Med Workshops or M-Tec School to read about Medical Transcription Training ...