A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Help been out of school since August and still cannot find a job!!! - Ayashi

Posted: Jun 19, 2012

Hello,

I have been trying to get a job since I graduated last year from Kaplan University Online. I take the online test and fail some how everytime I do it. I have went as far as to screen shot the test in progress just to research the answers ( I found a few mistakes). Yet my main concern is the transcription portion. I can never seem to format it properly. I use my school books and online reference tools and I feel I am still doing something wrong. Now im looking for online help and a corresponence. I need someone who can over look some practice transcriptions and tell me if I have formatted it properly. If not what am I doing wrong.

I really want to break into this field and I will not give up due to a few errors on my end. So the only way to get better is to ask for help and now I ask all of you senior MT's for your knowledge and guidance. Please help and thank-you for all of your time and patience with me as I grow from a new MT to a Pro.

It is probably not formatting errors - that are

[ In Reply To ..]
the problem. Formatting is a tiny issue, not something that will cause an otherwise good test to be failed.

Every account has its own format rules, so employers don't expect applicants to know the rules for specific accounts. You learn that once you're hired and get the samples and normals for the accounts you'll be working on.

You could be failing on grammar or spelling issues (just going by your post) or more likely making too many critical errors on medical terms.

Focusing on improving your transcription skills, grammar, spelling, terminology, etc. would be a better use of your time. Don't worry about formatting as every employer has different rules.

You might want to ask your school if there are any employers who routinely hire its graduates. If they know of no employers who seek out their graduates, ask they why.

Thank-you - Ayashi

[ In Reply To ..]
I never thought it could be my grammar, but after re-reading my post I found a few.I will look over my work and see if that helps.

I will help you. - e-mail me

[ In Reply To ..]
I can look over a few things and help if needed.

Ayashi - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
Many MTSOs are wary of Kaplan.

what is a MTSO and why? - Ayashi

[ In Reply To ..]
I heard that before, but was never told why.

Ayashi - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
Would you have us believe that you have graduated from an MT course and do not know what an MTSO is? Not making you wrong, am just incredulous!
Graduating - Ayashi
[ In Reply To ..]
Not only did I graduate honey, but I graduated at the top of my class. Yet that does not mean there is a ton of information I do not know. I have learned today from trolling the boards that "Kaplan" was not a good choice of a school to pick. I have plenty of gaps in my knowledge and this is why I am on this forum. I thought, "Each One, Teach One", so I came to where the advice should be plentiful.

I understand that you may be a old pro to this field, but also remember that there are plenty of schools that will teach a field to make a quick buck. Since I was approached by them I didn't think to check out another school (foolish of me I know); yet, as I have said before I am willing to make this work. So please fill me up with all the info you guys know I am totally a empty cup.

What is an MTSO - Sylvia

[ In Reply To ..]
One of the primary skills an MT must have is that of doing research. With all of the tools available to you on the Internet, I think you can learn what an MTSO is fairly easily. And why is Kaplan not recommended? Because they do not provide an adequate education. Look at a school that uses the SUM program (Andrews or M-TEC) and that has live instructors who are or have been MTs themselves. Just trying to help you. There will be a lot of things you will have to research (we all do) in the course of a day's work. This can be a good opportunity to learn how to do it.
what is a MTSO - Ayashi
[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, I have been looking around today and saw that I might want to go to another school. It also sadden me cause I paid 16,000 for my course and I found Andrews to be much cheap. I am learning today that I still have a lot to learn. The good thing about it is that I am willing to.
You paid what?????? - just me
[ In Reply To ..]
You paid... is that US dollars? OMG!
I took a course at a local vocational school for 1 year that was a waste of time and money and went to a community college, which was a 2-year program and received great training along with getting hired by the lady who sat on the advisory board transcribing for a surgery center. She took a lot of time mentoring me and answering questions. I also attended several AAMT workshops. Your education never endoscopic scissors if you want to be good and make great money. I was very fortunate. I worked at another smaller company where the owner then trained me on office work, workers' compensation. If you can, work for a smaller company and go to a community college. Good luck!
Just me - Nick
[ In Reply To ..]
Endoscopic scissors?
Yes, and it is almost poetic. . - Funny
[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, endoscopic scissors. ROTFL! I think it was supposed to be "ends."

That has to be one of the funniest expander thingies I've seen in ages. Or it could just be that I need some sleep.
Oops, yes I forgot to toggle my expander off. - just me
[ In Reply To ..]
Oops, sorry. .... Also, the AHDI workshops are great for augmenting your education and networking, although I have been too busy with work to attend one lately...
Ayashi - Old Pro
[ In Reply To ..]
You paid HOW MUCH? And you didn't check out other schools? Did you do any background research on Kaplan before enrolling? Do you know how to do research? Do you know how to use the Internet to learn what an MTSO is? (And why did Kaplan not teach you that?) My best suggestion is for you to call Andrews (I am not nor have I ever been, affiliated with them.) I am told that the woman who runs Andrews is very kind and also very competent. She should be able to assess where you are and give you some suggestions. May I ask where you discovered Kaplan in the first place? Good luck to you!
Kaplan - Ayashi
[ In Reply To ..]
They were referred to me from an old co-worker. I know now I was cheated I can only fix it now. As for doing research, yes I do know how to research. I just so happened to be in a bad financial state and anything sounded good to try and get back on my feet and stay closer to my kids. I know now in hind sight that I should have took more time. But what is done is done and I can't cry over it. I can only try to make the best of it. That is what I am doing now.
Ayashi - Been Poor
[ In Reply To ..]
When you are in financial straits, you need to be especially careful with how you invest your money. A good MT education is an investment, just like a house or stocks. You need to (a) work on grammar and (b) augment what you learned at Kaplan. I really do believe that you CAN do it if you want to. It will not be easy or fast, but it CAN be done. And yes, I know what it is to be in a bad financial state. Because of the MQ debacle, I nearly went bankrupt.
MTSO Medical Transcription Service Organization - (no message)
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Ayashi This may help you - Old Pro
[ In Reply To ..]
I wish I could help you. If I met you in person, here is what I would offer:

Several people have asked me if I think MT is still a viable career. Coincidentally, today as I was cleaning out some files, I found notes from a seminar I gave and thought I would summarize a few of the thoughts, hoping they might be of value to someone out there. (Moderator, if you don't feel this is appropriate, please just delete the post.) First, there are three "myths" to consider: 1. The myth that medical transcription is easy money. Many of the not so reliable schools push this idea and use it to exploit people. It makes me really disheartened that many people who do not have much money to begin with get taken in by this. Shame on the schools who do this! 2. The second myth is that it does not matter where you go to school; you can get a good medical transcription education anywhere. Again, another myth. The old saying that "you get what you pay for" really applies. When I am counseling people face to face, I always advise that the two things they MUST have from any program are the SUM program and real, live instructors. 3. The third myth is that you can always learn "the old fashioned way--on the job." That was true up until perhaps the end of the 70s; it is surely not true now. The marketplace and its structure (and pace) have changed too radically. When interviewing schools, ask questions: 1. Where are your graduates working? Can you give me the names of 2-3 grads who would be willing to share their experience with me? 2. How long has the school been in business? Is it a private entity? A sole proprietorship? Who are the principals? How are your instructors chosen? 3. Do your financial homework. Call the BBB and the Department of Business Regulation for the locality in which the school is registered. Have there been complaints? Have the complaints been satisfactorily resolved? 4. What form of financial aid do you offer? 5. How accessible are your instructors and by what means? E-mail only? Are telephone calls permitted/encouraged? 6. Does your school use authentic physician dictation such as in The SUM program? Or does it merely use scripts read by actors? 7. What type of follow-up does your school offer? Can I "retake" any portions of the course with which I have difficulty? How many tries do I have to pass the final? 8. What kind of placement program do you have? What percentage of your grads get placed? (There should not be a fee for placement.) 9. Utilize the wisdom of the "old salts"--ancient MTs like yours truly who have been in this business for decades. Most older MTs are happy to help newbies. Many people helped me when I was starting out, and in gratitude, I try to help people just starting. Those are just some thoughts that I culled from the seminar I did. I hope something in here helps someone.

Please carefully consider the part about choosing a school. I truly hope it can help you. Best of luck!

Most important skill for MT - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I got my first MT job with ZERO training in medical transcription. I was hired at a local physician's office based strictly on STRONG English skills.

That is the absolute #1 skill you MUST have to make it in this field.

Most MTs don't work for physicians, and the jobs require much more than you described - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
You are right that strong English skills are a prerequisite for MT success, but if you stop there, you aren't going very far. Physicians sometimes hire medical typists and train them to do a limited type of report, but anyone who comes out of a job like that isn't prepared for the typical MT job. I agree though that English skills are imperative! You are correct about that.

Strong English skills are the foundation - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
If you read through the OP's comments you will see why I emphasized English skills. You can have a certificate and know the medical terminology but if you lack English skills, you are doomed as an MT.

Obviously, my point was not that English skills were all that was needed, but it is the most BASIC skill you absolutely MUST possess.
Exactly! - We agree
[ In Reply To ..]
Excellent point.

Similar Messages:

Recently Graduated From MT School, Can't Find A Job!
Feb 14, 2010

I have recently graduated with a certificate in Medical Transcription and am finding it difficult to find a job! I am a Respiratory Therapist full-time and just want something part-time at home for extra income and to gain experience to hopefully do transcription as a full-time career.  Can anyone give me any advice on how to go about finding employment?  I have put my application in for several jobs but my lack of experience has been a problem. I think that maybe I am just looking in ...

Can We Please Get An August Tab
Aug 19, 2013

?! ...

New Jobs For August
Aug 20, 2013

Just wondering, it is Aug 20, where are Aug job posts for job seeker's like me. ...

STILL NO ALL TYPE CHECK FOR AUGUST 1-15
Sep 04, 2010

Still no check...was told it would be sent overnight Wednesday. Call never returned from the woman in payroll who was going to check on how it was sent. Today is Saturday. This is for work done from August 1st through August 15th, and then I'm expecting a second one for the rest of the month. I have worked for Proscript during the same time period, and I have received 2 paychecks from them on time and ZERO FROM ALLTYPE!  ...

Moderators: Please Enable The August Tab
Aug 14, 2012

thanks ...

August,,,only 5 Months Until Christmas
Aug 06, 2014

And we all know what Christmas means for all mmodal employees... OUR ANNUAL PAY CUT!!! Any guesses what it will be this year?  I'm betting on losing another 3 days of vacation and having SR pay cut to 4 cpl for everybody, even those grandfathered in at 6 cpl.   At that point social security will be a no-brainer for me. can hardly wait ...

Have Been Doing Great On Audits...99.93 For August...
Sep 12, 2014

Now I get slapped on the wrist for producing slightly less that 150 LPH for 2 weeks in August....I can't win!   ...

Please Add July And August Tabs To The Other Boards
Aug 07, 2014

... ...

Still No AllType Paycheck For August 15th Pay Period
Sep 03, 2010

Just an update...I'm still jumping through hoops for this paycheck.  Then I'll have a paycheck that should be mailed next week, also.  I'm wondering how long I'll have to wait for that one or if I will ever see either of these checks.  It's only around 300 combined, but that's 300 I need for bills...I have a family to take care of.... ...

Medtrans MT School? Anyone Heard Of This? Looking To Start MT School That Is Affordable.
Dec 21, 2011

:) ...

Working For AllType Has Received Their Paycheck For The Pay Period Ending August 15th?
Sep 01, 2010

Hi.  Just wondering if anyone currently working for AllType has received their paycheck for the pay period ending August 15th?  I am still waiting on this and am worried it has been lost in the mail or something.  I'm assuming it would have been mailed on August 25th.  Is this correct?  Thanks for any help.  I'm worried, and I have a ton of bills to pay and a family. ...

Has Anyone Ever Gone Through Allied School For Coding? Other School Recommendations?
Jun 24, 2014

I was wondering if anyone has ever gone through Allied School in California for billing & coding.  If so, how was your experience?  Were you able to find work in coding after finishing the course and getting your certification?  I have been a medical transcriptionist for the past 10-11 years and am now looking at getting into coding.  My best friend and I are going to take a course together.   If you wouldn't recommend Allied as a school, who would you reco ...

I Can't Find The AHIMI Salary Survey. Anyone Know Where I Can Find This?
Dec 20, 2011

TIA ...

Keystrokes Is Going To A "time Clock" System In August?
Jun 09, 2011

So, have you heard that Keystrokes is going to a "time clock" system in August?  If this really goes through, this may be the straw... I have put up with all the other stuff going on there.  I constantly help out on other accounts as well as getting my own work done.  But, if I have to punch a clock, when I have been able to flex for 4 years, I don't think I'm gonna do it!  First off, there is no way I can sit for 8 hours straight.  I get my work done in 4 hours or so and then ...

Can Anyone Tell Me Info On August Medical Transcription Or Transcription South
May 29, 2013

I have found a few things on these companies but was looking to find a little more in depth information from past or current employees. ...

Coding School - Considering Going To A School
Sep 22, 2011

I am an MT who is considering going to school for coding.  I am thinking about taking the course through Andrews and will probably start next year because I will have to save up some of the money.  I am wondering if you think coding may eventually go the way of medical transcription and be outsourced to India.  I do not think it will so I just wanted to get the opinions of other coders.  I realize it will be a hard course but I think it will be worth the effort.  Any thoughts would be appre ...

MT School
Mar 08, 2010

Does anyone know a good MT school course? There are so many of them out, but not sure which ones are worth trying. TIA. ...

How Is School Going For Everyone?
May 22, 2010

I know a lot of MTs are back in school, how are you progressing?  I'm waiting for my FAFSA at the moment and am taking 9 more credits this summer (if everything goes smoothly)  We are living on my husband's income and have had to cut down on quite a bit.  I plan on getting my MSW, hopefully within three to four years.  Anyone else want to share? ...

School Help!
May 09, 2012

Hi there...I am wondering if anyone has any advice about which school might be a better idea and why for Medical Transcription: At Home Professions Career Step I live in Minnesota, want to work only from home, have 3 4 year college degrees, one a Master's.  thanks! ...

Meditec School
Nov 30, 2009

I am looking into taking a course with Meditec.  Unfortnately, I cannot find any information about this on the boards.  If anyone has taken their billing/coding course, please let me know if you were prepared for employment when done.  Thanks in advance.  ...

Has Anyone Gone To Allied For MT School?
Dec 31, 2009

Just wondering if anyone went to Allied Medical Schooling for MT and how they liked it? How did you do and if you felt prepared for work after getting done with it? I just want to know how others done with it and how they liked it? ...

School Questions . . .
Jan 19, 2010

Okay, so I know there are recommended schools out there.  But what about the local community college?  If I were to take coding classes there, could I get certified?  What about some of these online schools?  Can you coders share your schooling/training experience please? ...

MT Course At ALLIED Med School
Jan 23, 2010

Has anyone heard anything about Allied Medical School's Medical Transcription course? They are approved by AHDI, the price is reasonable (not cheapest but not most expensive) and the course includes a laptop, CD materials and actual textbooks(unlike CareerStep that provides photo copies). I want to get started on my schooling but I want to make the best choice I can. Any info/feed back would be greatly appreciated. ...

Is 40 Too Old To Go Back To School?
Feb 02, 2010

Being an MT is not paying my bills.  I am thinking about going back to school, but I am 40 and it has been so long since I was in high school.  I have to google to help my son with his 4th grade homework let alone do college math. AND it will be 2 to 4 years before I will get a good job.  I am leaning towards radiology tech, lab tech, or maybe nursing.  Can't  decide just yet but I know that EMR isn't going to be taking those jobs away!!!  Any advice ...

To Those Back In School
Mar 01, 2010

How are you adjusting?  Today is my first day and I want to pull my hair out, lol!  I know I need to give myself a chance to adjust, but i'm the type I want to learn quickly so I don't stress over it or feel incompetent.  I'm just rusty I guess, I hope I get into the groove of things, maybe get to the point where I enjoy it.  Just wondering how you all are doing with the school or profession change.  I've been an MT so long I feel like i'm c ...

Quitting School
Mar 06, 2010

I am taking MT at Career Step, but I am unable to understand these doctors even if I slow down or speed up. I think I am going to quit because how can you transcribe if you can not understand. Can anyone give me some input? ...

Picking The Right School
Mar 16, 2010

I am trying to find a school to get a medical transcription certification. There seem to be so many, but Penn Foster's seems the most affordable. To anyone with experience/knowledge is this a good school that will enable me to find work once completed? ...

Anyone Going Back To School
May 04, 2010

How do you get a loan to help pay bills while in school?  I'm in the middle of a FAFSA loan for fall semester, but she told me it is for school only.  Someone said they were using part of it to supplement the household income?  What kind of loan would that be?  TIA ...

Online Or At School
Jun 26, 2010

I am just curious. Is there a big difference between online coding classes and going into school?  I feel (I am taking online course) that maybe going into the classroom would be most beneficial. ...

BACK TO SCHOOL
Jul 12, 2010

Like so many others at MQ and everywhere, I went back to school, spent 4 1/2 years and $40 K+.  That was 1 1/2 years ago.  I cannot get a job teaching nor subbing, not even in a clerical capacity.  Student loan has come due and I'm back to struggling here at Q, making hardly enough to pay bills, much less take on the $350 a month student loan payment.  I got a degree in education and in our city there are now problems in the major district, citing crooked administration ...